AVS Forum banner

3861 - 3880 of 16041 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,861
Cinema User..... do you mean Cinema Home? Or Cinema with tweaks? I AM coming around to this observation, as I said. I just need to get the color temperature off Warm. (yuck) The HDR is too dingy/muted in some scenes on Standard. Yellows especially. Don't get why the had to change so much over the C8. Maybe its panel variance or actual improvements.

In general, Cinema is one of the most accurate PQ modes
Cinema home is a little brighter.

Im not trying to convince you but every pro AV review have stated there are no significant changes (except HDMI 2.1) from the C8 to C9. Color volume and HDR is refined. DTM reveals more detail but it also tends to
darken or lighten the PQ. Most of us agree here the C9 is a nicely refined C8.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Can any owner of a 65in C9 please measure the width of the stand for me?

I want to buy it but not sure if it can fit on my current stand, Best Buy had all their tvs mounted... Thank you!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Im not trying to convince you but every pro AV review have stated there are no significant changes (except HDMI 2.1) from the C8 to C9. Color volume and HDR is refined. DTM reveals more detail but it also tends to
darken or lighten the PQ. Most of us agree here the C9 is a nicely refined C8.

Then WHY is my 65C8 CONSISTENTLY brighter with full scene bright/colorful content than my 77C9? Is it really a 65 vs 77 thing? Have the 77s just historically been dimmer for some reason? I've tried everything and there is just no way to make my C9 as bright with the same full bright scene HDR content as my C8, and it drives me nuts. DTM is on for both sets. SDR appears just as bright. Hence I was blaming overaggressive HDR ABL. The frequent lower full screen brightness, or luminance, if you will, is my only complaint about the C9. When the TVs only need to make tiny details very bright, they look the same. But heaven fobid you have a bright full color HDR screen up. The C8 is noticeably brighter. But remember what I said early on. Pop the menu open on the C9 and the right side of the screen becomes as bright, if not brighter than, the C8! So come on, it MUST be bright scene HDR ABL! It is NOT ABSL.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,868
Then WHY is my 65C8 CONSISTENTLY brighter with full scene bright/colorful content than my 77C9? Is it really a 65 vs 77 thing? Have the 77s just historically been dimmer for some reason? I've tried everything and there is just no way to make my C9 as bright with the same full bright scene HDR content as my C8, and it drives me nuts. DTM is on for both sets. SDR appears just as bright. Hence I was blaming overaggressive HDR ABL. The frequent lower full screen brightness, or luminance, if you will, is my only complaint about the C9. When the TVs only need to make tiny details very bright, they look the same. But heaven fobid you have a bright full color HDR screen up. The C8 is noticeably brighter. But remember what I said early on. Pop the menu open on the C9 and the right side of the screen becomes as bright, if not brighter than, the C8! So come on, it MUST be bright scene HDR ABL! It is NOT ABSL.

Some C9’s aren’t as bright as the C8. If fact maybe most are not. It’s definitely not all about brightness. My C9 was measured about 650 nits on a 10% window but calibrated to 700. So a pro calibration might get you a bit brighter if I’m not mistaken. I think my panel’s max was measured at 780 nits.

Look sounds like your not happy (stressed too?) so just return the darn thing! :)
Don’t get an OLED if you’re gonna stress over brightness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
980 Posts
It's OK, I expected derision for my posts from the experts. Nevertheless, I post about what I am seeing in a side by side comparison. It's my reality, and without being here to see it you really have no idea if I'm speaking nonsense or not. The C9 is also much more spot on accurate out of the box than my C8. I don't have to be an expert to tell. I can see color as well as you guys can. I just happen to have a set of preferences that aren't pretentious. Tell me, does my iPad Pro need calibrated too? Or my iPhone X? I have plenty of high end devices to compare to. I'm just tired of TV modes where people rave about how accurate everything is when in reality everything looks like it's being lit by a 6500K warm lightbulb in a dimly lit room. Maybe you guys like that. I don't. Doesn't make me wrong. Maybe I like my TV to look like the real sun or a halogen lamp is shining on my colored objects. ;)
You don't get the point. :rolleyes:

1+1 = 2. This is objective, you can't even argue against it.
But if you want to see 1+1 = 11, that's only for you personally and not anyone else.

It is absolutely fine and in fact justified for you to use whatever picture settings that fits your preferences, it's your TV after all. Nothing wrong with that and I don't think anyone is calling you wrong for having a preference.

What you are WRONG about is using the word "accurate". Don't use that word unless you know/can measure and calibrate with tools. Your eyeballs, even if they're best set of eyeballs human genetics has ever produced are still organs that are influenced by multiple factors - so NO, you don't know what accuracy is solely with your eyes. Don't try and say so otherwise.

·
Registered
44 Posts
C9 03.60.04 Update and remote issue

This morning I did, as instructed by my C9, the recommended 03.60.04 update, and after that I noticed my "magic" remote microphone would no longer work as before...each time I tried to access the voice control, it would ask me to sign up for Google Assistant. I was not aware that Google Assistant was required for use of the LG remote voice control, nor had it been previously. LG support told me that they had no record of the software update causing this issue, and they confirmed that I did NOT need to sign up for Google Assistant in order for the remote voice control to function. I was hesitant to sign up for Google Assistant and agree to their privacy agreement, etc. if it was not necessary.

Unpairing and repairing the remote multiple times did not work, nor did powering down and doing a reset on the C9, nor did doing a reset on the remote (removing batteries and pushing each remote button twice). Each time the remote microphone button was pushed, the Google Assistant setup page would appear. They told me I would need to do a reset to factory settings on the C9, which I was hesitant to jump into since I would have to reset all of my settings on the C9.

Also, interestingly, once we decided to proceed with the reset to factory settings, the option to "restore to factory or initial settings" was not an option...it could not be found. Neither Tech support nor I could find it anywhere under Settings under General. It was not there. (And, by the way, now after accepting Google Assist, as I did (see below) the "Reset to Initial Settings" is now appearing there under General. Not sure if eventually accepting Google Assistant had some effect on it, though not sure why.)

Eventually they told me that they would need to send out a technician the following week.
I eventually decided to see what happened if I gave in and agreed to the terms and sign up for Google Assistant, and though I went through the steps, I did not move on to setting up and signing in to it on my mobile device.

Anyway, I did so, and now my remote microphone is working!

Does anyone know if Google Assistant is indeed required for the remote voice control to work?
If not, has anyone found that the software update has altered the function of their remote microphone and they are having problems with Google Assistant being required for it to work?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Netflix App Issue

Sorry for coming off as a jerk if I did. Long morning hah.

Not sure why some are and some aren’t. That still has me a bit worried that it’s not an all thing as you stated.

Yeah, I get the once a month hiccup for sure, but unfortunately 3x in 2 hours and one freezing the entire TV is a bit much.

FWIW, watched a few episodes of Arrested Development on Xbox One X thru Netflix - no issues whatsoever.

I also experienced the same quick pause, buffer, then stutter in fast motion to catch up 2x watching a move last night on Netflix. (Specifically The Gollum)
Never had that specific issue happen before on any Netflix streaming device, including this TV so far. Haven't experienced any buffering in general in a long time either - but this isn't really buffering, this is like a memory leak in the app or something. I'm hard wired on 100Mb connection and also on firmware - 03.60.04

Even more annoyingly, the TV stopped listening to any remote commands when that was happening (so I couldn't rewind) and then afterwards the cursor would no longer pop up and the set generally seemed like it was less responsive. Which leads me to believe the app has a memory issue or something. I was going to try to fully exit netflix, unplug the TV and restart afterwards to see if that at least brought the cursor and set's responsiveness back, but it was right before bed and the set started doing and Auto comp I didn't want to interrupt.

I'll be sure to update if the set is still acting weird after trying that.

·
Registered
33,377 Posts
I also experienced the same quick pause, buffer, then stutter in fast motion to catch up 2x watching a move last night on Netflix. (Specifically The Gollum)
Never had that specific issue happen before on any Netflix streaming device, including this TV so far. Haven't experienced any buffering in general in a long time either - but this isn't really buffering, this is like a memory leak in the app or something. I'm hard wired on 100Mb connection and also on firmware - 03.60.04

Even more annoyingly, the TV stopped listening to any remote commands when that was happening (so I couldn't rewind) and then afterwards the cursor would no longer pop up and the set generally seemed like it was less responsive. Which leads me to believe the app has a memory issue or something. I was going to try to fully exit netflix, unplug the TV and restart afterwards to see if that at least brought the cursor and set's responsiveness back, but it was right before bed and the set started doing and Auto comp I didn't want to interrupt.

This is so bizarre. We’ve watched series after series on the built-in Netflix app and haven’t had an issue. Lately we’ve been binging on the Jessica Jones series (4K DV) and we never had a freeze in the 1 1/2 seasons we’ve watched thus far. Aside from obvious internet issues, I can’t understand why some have this issue and others don’t.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
This morning I did, as instructed by my C9, the recommended 03.60.04 update, and after that I noticed my "magic" remote microphone would no longer work as before...each time I tried to access the voice control, it would ask me to sign up for Google Assistant. I was not aware that Google Assistant was required for use of the LG remote voice control, nor had it been previously. LG support told me that they had no record of the software update causing this issue, and they confirmed that I did NOT need to sign up for Google Assistant in order for the remote voice control to function. I was hesitant to sign up for Google Assistant and agree to their privacy agreement, etc. if it was not necessary.

Unpairing and repairing the remote multiple times did not work, nor did powering down and doing a reset on the C9, nor did doing a reset on the remote (removing batteries and pushing each remote button twice). Each time the remote microphone button was pushed, the Google Assistant setup page would appear. They told me I would need to do a reset to factory settings on the C9, which I was hesitant to jump into since I would have to reset all of my settings on the C9.

Also, interestingly, once we decided to proceed with the reset to factory settings, the option to "restore to factory or initial settings" was not an option...it could not be found. Neither Tech support nor I could find it anywhere under Settings under General. It was not there. (And, by the way, now after accepting Google Assist, as I did (see below) the "Reset to Initial Settings" is now appearing there under General. Not sure if eventually accepting Google Assistant had some effect on it, though not sure why.)

Eventually they told me that they would need to send out a technician the following week.
I eventually decided to see what happened if I gave in and agreed to the terms and sign up for Google Assistant, and though I went through the steps, I did not move on to setting up and signing in to it on my mobile device.

Anyway, I did so, and now my remote microphone is working!

Does anyone know if Google Assistant is indeed required for the remote voice control to work?
If not, has anyone found that the software update has altered the function of their remote microphone and they are having problems with Google Assistant being required for it to work?

They probably did that on purpose now Google is Listening to everything going on in your home all the time. Think no, my buddy is dad has 3 boys They never use Google Assistant only he does as the father but as kids do they talk about keywords like Pizza and Chicken nuggets all day. Now my buddies mailbox and ads are nothing but you guessed it Pizza and Chicken nuggets.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts

·
Vendor
26,619 Posts
I made no claim that LG tested anything. :p
lol, right, thats the scary part

^agreed when you spend the amount we do on these sets...were all picky and want the best!
Quick question, you spent a lot more for that Camaro, did you check the panels jams to make sure the gaps where within spec ;)?

·
Registered
904 Posts
It's OK, I expected derision for my posts from the experts. Nevertheless, I post about what I am seeing in a side by side comparison. It's my reality, and without being here to see it you really have no idea if I'm speaking nonsense or not. The C9 is also much more spot on accurate out of the box than my C8. I don't have to be an expert to tell. I can see color as well as you guys can. I just happen to have a set of preferences that aren't pretentious. Tell me, does my iPad Pro need calibrated too? Or my iPhone X? I have plenty of high end devices to compare to. I'm just tired of TV modes where people rave about how accurate everything is when in reality everything looks like it's being lit by a 6500K warm lightbulb in a dimly lit room. Maybe you guys like that. I don't. Doesn't make me wrong. Maybe I like my TV to look like the real sun or a halogen lamp is shining on my colored objects. ;)
Isn't picture accuracy the main reason we purchase high end, high $ sets? Why do most manufactures make lesser cost sets, because they don't have the accuracy some enthusiasts desire. I think most people who prefer the look of "standard", vivid or other non-accurate setting would be better off saving $ and buying a lesser model intermediate set. Then there is the budget minded sets for those who can't spend a lot of $.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Happened 3 times last night again, watching Mad Men. Just speculating here, but it's possible it is a bug in some combination of Netflix app/Decoder chip/TV scaler when decoding certain encodings (e.g. maybe it mainly affects older shows, so if you aren't watching those you won't get this problem). I'm curious to see if it happens when watching a recently released 4K Netflix movie, or on Amazon prime. Will have to wait for more people reporting this problem to see what the pattern is, is it a particular display setting or motion setting we have turned on that has a bug (I use Clear), etc.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Just got my C9 setup last night (first OLED). Will post some detailed impressions later tonight. Need to take some measurements as well. Gamma 2.2 and above seem much to dark to me. No depth to the image, lots of crush. Gamma 1.9 looks good. I'm assuming this is either LG darkening low IRE levels to hide near-black issues, or my panel needs to settle in (or combination of both). I can tell the panel is capable of a great image though.

One question: how do I set a PC input so the TV recognizes the input as video? The TV automatically recognized my PC input and locked me out of most advanced picture settings. I tried renaming the PC input to HDMI 2, but no dice.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What’️s your opinion on applying the white balance settings that RTINGS has on their site for SDR?
All panels have some variance so I wouldn't get that granular applying someones white balance.
It won't hurt either so no harm if you're curious. Observe the PQ and see if skin tones still look natural etc...

Also, I recommend looking a CNETs PQ settings. CNET's setting cover the broad strokes and I find them to be very good.
Can I have a link to CNETs settings? I couldn’t find them.

3861 - 3880 of 16041 Posts