AVS Forum banner

7541 - 7560 of 16070 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
I got Gsync up and running with test FW 04.70. 05 and Nvidia beta driver 440.52.

Need to get to bed now, more testing tomorrow.
Awesome, you win the internet.

I would do it too, if i could be bothered installing Linux.

Steam has a lot of Linux support, so you could test some modern games.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got Gsync up and running with test FW 04.70. 05 and Nvidia beta driver 440.52.

Awesome! Are you able to see if the video card is using FRL? I'm curious to know if there is true HDMI 2.1 in the RTX cards or if they are implementing VRR through 2.0b. There are a lot of people who would like to know if nVidia is slow rolling a true 2.1 chip/hardware or if they are adding to capabilities to 2.0 chip/hardware along the way.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Did you actually test with the G-Sync Pendulum demo or a game? Or did you just go into NVCP and see that you can select G-Sync? If you didn't test it then can't really say it's "up and running".

G-Sync was always selectable for me when I had my C9 although it never actually functioned properly in Pendulum demo or any games.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Did you actually test with the G-Sync Pendulum demo or a game? Or did you just go into NVCP and see that you can select G-Sync? If you didn't test it then can't really say it's "up and running".

G-Sync was always selectable for me when I had my C9 although it never actually functioned properly in Pendulum demo or any games.
Same experience for me. I have been able to select G-Sync on the OLED for a while, but it doesn't really work when running the Pendulum demo. I am hopeful an immenent firmware update will enable it as it appears the Nvidia drivers are ready for this already.

·
Registered
142 Posts
On displays that have Nvidia's "Gsync Compatible" certification, the user doesn't need to enable Gsync. As soon as the display is detected, it auto enables like traditional Gsync with the module. This means LG's firmware update or HDMI 2.1's specification for VRR defaults VRR to on without any user interaction in the TV's menu.

The only time you manually have to enable it is for the displays not on this list:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

I'm sure once the official driver + firmware rolls out this will be the case. I am really curious as to how it will handle the 40hz area as well as how effective OLED pixel response is in making adaptive overdrive unnecessary. Since Nvidia put it on the above list I am hoping (and expecting) it to be a flawless implementation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Found the change log, and it seems this is the only fix (using Google Translate):

Ⓕ Improved delay time of HDMI ARC audio output when TV off / on (03.60.45)

Nothing about Gsync as far as I can see, sadly.
Amazing news if true! It’s my only complaint of the TV since getting it about a week and a half ago. Maybe now I can finally get both VRR via TV input and Dolby Atmos via my AVR at the same time on my Xbox One X without an unfixable audio delay. :D

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
It's been a while, but is the Korean firmware usable on US models? It was that way on my C7P from what I remember.
Korean and Canadian are compatible with us models

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

·
Registered
35 Posts

Yeah, I wasn't aware of this, it has never been selectable for me. I've been testing a bit, and it doesn't appear to be functioning properly so far. It says G-Sync is enabled in the Pendulum demo, but it sure doesn't look like it's supposed to, with tearing and stuttering all over the place.

I'm sorry I jumped the gun on this, I really thought this was it. I may try to install 04.70.07, but I want to be a bit careful now since there doesn't seem to be a way to downgrade anymore.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't aware of this, it has never been selectable for me. I've been testing a bit, and it doesn't appear to be functioning properly so far. It says G-Sync is enabled in the Pendulum demo, but it sure doesn't look like it's supposed to, with tearing and stuttering all over the place.

I'm sorry I jumped the gun on this, I really thought this was it. I may try to install 04.70.07, but I want to be a bit careful now since there doesn't seem to be a way to downgrade anymore.

No worries my man, no need to apologize.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Nope, you can actually see the frequency.

Go to Channels, then highlight the top menu option within channels and press 1 five times.
Holy crap this is amazing. It works on my C8 and Z9 as well. On the latter you can select HDMI Mode and get even more details.

Are there any other secret menus to be found?

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
I've recently been having issues with HDMI handshake between the C9 and my Denon AVR. Almost daily when I turn them "On", I get a "No Signal" screen on the TV. I then have to power cycle either the AVR or the TV to get a signal back on the TV. Does this indicate a bad HDMI cable? I didn't have this problem (at least as often) as within the last few weeks.
Bump

·
Registered
118 Posts

Still, the fact that a patch either on the Nvidia or LG side made it selectable and the linux driver providing G sync support already released suggests that it will be released very soon. Hopefully this week. Really hoping we are getting this before red dead arrives on pc and it looks like that will come true!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been doing some more thorough testing, and it turns out it actually IS working. The problem is that I'm a complete G-Sync noob, so I was not clear on how to set it up properly. I read through the G-Sync section on Blur Busters, and that certainly helped.

This is on Windows 10.

Nvidia Pendulum Demo: Works fine between 40-60fps (4K) and 40-120fps (1440p). The reason I got confused earlier was that the test was actually set to fluctuate between 30 and 70 fps, and the 30-40fps range and above max refresh produces significant tearing. Which is no surprise, seeing as the VRR window is 40-120hz. Within the window it's smooth as butter.

Tested games:

Ghost Recon Breakpoint (Works great, with and without HDR)
Ghost Recon Wildlands (Works great)
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Works great, with and without HDR, though enabling Vsync in NVCpl like it says in the Blur Busters guide produces insane stutter)
Control (Works great, only tested with 40-60fps (4K))

So this is looking very promising! I'm curious if it was just enabled by installing the Nvidia 440.52 drivers, or if I actually needed the 04.70.05 firmware as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've been doing some more thorough testing, and it turns out it actually IS working. The problem is that I'm a complete G-Sync noob, so I was not clear on how to set it up properly. I read through the G-Sync section on Blur Busters, and that certainly helped.

This is on Windows 10.

Nvidia Pendulum Demo: Works fine between 40-60fps (4K) and 40-120fps (1440p). The reason I got confused earlier was that the test was actually set to fluctuate between 30 and 70 fps, and the 30-40fps range and above max refresh produces significant tearing. Which is no surprise, seeing as the VRR window is 40-120hz. Within the window it's smooth as butter.

Tested games:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Works great, with and without HDR, though enabling Vsync in NVCpl like it says in the Blur Busters guide produces insane stutter)

So this is looking very promising! I'm curious if it was just enabled by installing the Nvidia 440.52 drivers, or if I actually needed the 04.70.05 firmware as well.
Isnt it more likely that it is the LG firmware that is most important since that nvidia driver was released as early as September 16 and most of its features should be in the october nvidia update? Do you remember if the g sync option became visible after the nvidia driver install or the lg firmware updare Btw is it possible to install 04.70.05 on an European c9?

·
Registered
260 Posts

This is on Windows 10.

Tested games:

What are you talking about? Windows 10?
440.52 windows drivers are from a month ago.

440.26 are the linux drivers with the g-sync patch released yesterday.

Also why would you risk bricking your tv with a developer firmware? Big balls mate lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
For me installing the 440.52 driver does make the G-Sync option show up, but it does say that the display is not validated. So that firmware update looks to be needed

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Isnt it more likely that it is the LG firmware that is most important since that nvidia driver was released as early as September 16 and most of its features should be in the october nvidia update? Do you remember if the g sync option became visible after the nvidia driver install or the lg firmware updare Btw is it possible to install 04.70.05 on an European c9?
First I upgraded my TV to 04.70.05, but that didn't produce anything G-Sync related in the NVCpl. Then I installed 440.52, and that immediately triggered the message "The Instant Game Response is launched" notification in the corner. Opened NVCpl, and Gsync was available.

I'm running a European C9 as well (OLED55C9PLA), so that's very possible! I used my Harmony remote to go to the In-Start menu (password 0413) -> System 2 menu -> Set NSU mode to Engineering and restarted the TV. That made 04.70.05 appear as an Over the air update. Then I set the NSU mode back to User, as I don't want to potentially be stranded on a beta firmware.

What are you talking about? Windows 10?
440.52 windows drivers are from a month ago.

440.26 are the linux drivers with the g-sync patch released yesterday.

Also why would you risk bricking your tv with a developer firmware? Big balls mate lol
Yep, 440.52 drivers and 04.70.05 fw, Windows 10. I could try to film my set and see how that turns out, but I'm not sure if it would really show up on a video. I can show you guys that the G-Sync On indicator is on at least. And I've played enough games now to say with confidence that it's definitely working, silky smooth gameplay with FPS fluctuating between 40-120FPS at 1440p.

As to why I would risk it: I'm impatient, have bad judgement, and I am a developer (web developer though, lol). My balls are just average sized. :p

For me installing the 440.52 driver does make the G-Sync option show up, but it does say that the display is not validated. So that firmware update looks to be needed
That's the same on my end, I just excluded that part from my screenshot. Attached another one. It definitely works on my end, but maybe that's due to the 04.70.05 firmware.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
First I upgraded my TV to 04.70.05, but that didn't produce anything G-Sync related in the NVCpl. Then I installed 440.52, and that immediately triggered the message "The Instant Game Response is launched" notification in the corner. Opened NVCpl, and Gsync was available.

I'm running a European C9 as well (OLED55C9PLA), so that's very possible! I used my Harmony remote to go to the In-Start menu (password 0413) -> System 2 menu -> Set NSU mode to Engineering and restarted the TV. That made 04.70.05 appear as an Over the air update. Then I set the NSU mode back to User, as I don't want to potentially be stranded on a beta firmware.
So as long as you set the NSU back to user, you will be able to receive future proper firmware upgrades? as long as that is true, I see no reasons why I shoudnt test this myself.

7541 - 7560 of 16070 Posts