AVS Forum banner

7601 - 7620 of 16101 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
OK. Need some expert advice. In May 2017 I purchased the LG65B7 OLED and have been using it all this time. Unfortunately, my viewing habits are obviously different than most peoples. I turn the TV on at 6 AM and it doesn't get turned off until about 9 PM. Most of my day I have a news channel on until about 4 PM.

Very recently I was mortified, but not really surprised, to see four lines towards the bottom of the TV (the infamous burn-in I'm guessing). WOW. I should have known better.

So I've agonized for days trying to research TV's. I have several choices and I'd really appreciate your advice on which way to go because the 77" C9 OLED goes off sale tomorrow at Costco.

I narrowed it down to this:
- A 77" OLED C9 from Costco, plus, a 49"Samsung QLED to sit next to my primary TV for news only during the day. Using my OLED mostly for network programming, streaming 4K, and movies.
Question: This could work for me but how do you feel about the longevity then of the 77C9's susceptability to BURN-IN using the OLED for the above for about 6 hours a day ???

- Second option is buy a larger LED only. Like Samsung's QLED, etc. But this is unknown territory for me. Blacks would never be like the OLED (I'm spoiled) and I'm really worried with a 22 x 20 room about "side angle viewing". Also they seem to be the only company that doesn't offer DOLBY VISION (which is another way I'm totally spoiled) !!! I've researched these TV's and my brain hurts.

Comments and suggestions very welcome as I have to order TODAY !!!

TIA
Janice

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
OK. Need some expert advice. In May 2017 I purchased the LG65B7 OLED and have been using it all this time. Unfortunately, my viewing habits are obviously different than most peoples. I turn the TV on at 6 AM and it doesn't get turned off until about 9 PM. Most of my day I have a news channel on until about 4 PM.

Very recently I was mortified, but not really surprised, to see four lines towards the bottom of the TV (the infamous burn-in I'm guessing). WOW. I should have known better.

So I've agonized for days trying to research TV's. I have several choices and I'd really appreciate your advice on which way to go because the 77" C9 OLED goes off sale tomorrow at Costco.

- A 77" OLED C9 from Costco, plus, a 49"Samsung QLED to sit next to my primary TV for news only during the day. Using my OLED mostly for network programming, streaming 4K, and movies.
Question: This could work for me but how do you feel about the longevity then of the 77C9's susceptability to BURN-IN using the OLED for the above for about 6 hours a day ???

- Second option is buy a larger LED only. Like Samsung's QLED, etc. But this is unknown territory for me. Blacks would never be like the OLED (I'm spoiled) and I'm really worried with a 22 x 20 room about "side angle viewing". Also they seem to be the only company that doesn't offer DOLBY VISION (which is another way I'm totally spoiled) !!! I've researched these TV's and my brain hurts.

TIA
Janice
You are much better off with a Samsung qled or a regular led if the viewing habits stayb the same. Forget about Oled.

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

·
Registered
126 Posts
If we can get even 4k70 4:2:0 on HDMI 2.0, it would make GSYNC much better, allowing us to cap FPS at 67-68.

Hopefully we don't have to wait, I am really hoping for 4K120 4:2:0 on HDMI 2.0.

·
Registered
142 Posts
For Gsync/VRR to work properly on 60hz displays you'll need to cap FPS to 57 and enable Vsync in the Nvidia control panel.

This sucks losing 3 hz from an already low refresh rate but I'm going to experiment OC'ing to 63hz to compensate since I've heard people have tried 65hz without frame skipping.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Jrocker23. Thanks for a quick response. I sorta wasn't expecting that answer, but ... No Dolby Vision with the QLED. Anyone care to comment on how a regular 4K would look on a QLED vs. in DV on an OLED? That's another concern for me because there's a LOT on Netflix in DV. Maybe another question is does DV really look that much better than regular 4K? Like Stranger Things, or other dark stuff.

·
Registered
71 Posts

TIA
Janice
I used an oled as a monitor for 3 years without any burn in whatsoever but I varied content between gaming, browsing and movies with as little static logos as possible, and just moved on to the c9 65".

If you get a high quality FALD tv with lots of dimming zones, the blacks should be similar unless you watch it in a dark room all the time.

TCL just released a tv with mini leds, hdmi 2.1 and quantum dots which rivals oled in color and blacks due to the nearly 1000 zones, perhaps it's worth looking into. Their tv sets are normally very reliable and good quality, I have one that's like 7 years old and works like new lol

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-75-class-led-8-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6377907.p?skuId=6377907#tabbed-customerreviews

https://www.techradar.com/news/watch-out-oled-tcls-mini-led-8-series-tvs-are-now-available

·
Registered
126 Posts
For Gsync/VRR to work properly on 60hz displays you'll need to cap FPS to 57 and enable Vsync in the Nvidia control panel.

This sucks losing 3 hz from an already low refresh rate but I'm going to experiment OC'ing to 63hz to compensate since I've heard people have tried 65hz without frame skipping.
You should be able to just enable VSYNC on top of GSYNC, but that means increased input lag at 60. It'll make 40-59 much nicer though.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Jrocker23. Thanks for a quick response. I sorta wasn't expecting that answer, but ... No Dolby Vision with the QLED. Anyone care to comment on how a regular 4K would look on a QLED vs. in DV on an OLED? That's another concern for me because there's a LOT on Netflix in DV. Maybe another question is does DV really look that much better than regular 4K? Like Stranger Things, or other dark stuff.
I came from the Quantum Dot KS8000 Samsung to the C9, and the top end Samsungs are also great TVs. You really can't go wrong with a top end QLED, especially for your needs. Your viewing habits are worst case scenario for OLED

·
Registered
4 Posts

I'm able to OC my C9 to 67hz at 4K 4:4:4, for the synchronisation settings i use reduced blanking.
It doesn't work at 68hz, 67hz seems to be the max for hdmi 2.0

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You should be able to just enable VSYNC on top of GSYNC, but that means increased input lag at 60. It'll make 40-59 much nicer though.
59 will still push you to 60 at times in kicking Vsync in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
People that are new to G-SYNC , please, watch attached video as many time as you need to understand and get the best G-SYNC experience.

VIDEO
yeah but it is stated in this video that by using RTSS you add a frame of input lag, wasn't kinda the whole (or at least half the) point of using g/freesync to get close to that 1frame display lag the C9 allows ?
or am I missing something.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
So all we have to do to get Gsync Update is download from the Korean site and update the Nvidia drivers? Or is there something about it only currently working on Linux and not Windows?

·
Registered
140 Posts
yeah but it is stated in this video that by using RTSS you add a frame of input lag, wasn't kinda the whole (or at least half the) point of using g/freesync to get close to that 1frame display lag the C9 allows ?
or am I missing something.
For me, personally, g-syng is all about the smoothness. The beats are absolutely perfect to demonstrate the issue. The "1 frame input lag" is a trade of for "perfect" frame times. I don't notice any lag tbh but the main point was to understand the importance of keeping the fps inside the range, e.g 40-120 for 1440p so you need some type of fps limiter. RTSS was just one suggestion.

EDIT: For the curious, blurbusters have imo the best article to read about this, Check it out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So do you actually need the Korean update to use gsync or does 440.52 work? Will this firmware change the tv language to Korean and reset everything?

I just installed just 440.52 without the firmware and gsync shows up now but not sure it will actually work.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I will echo the other replies and say that you should not buy an OLED. Having a news channel on for 10 hours a day is a major red flag. You've had one set burn-in and its likely to happen again.

And there is the more relevant point that you are not taking advantage of what OLED has to offer. Its like buying a Rolls Royce to deliver pizza.

You watch a few hours of Netflix but I don't know if that is enough to justify the price. Ultimately it is your money so only you can make that decision. And you don't have to worry about lack of DV. You will still get HDR on the Samsung and you would be hard pressed to see any difference.

I would recommend OLED only to people who are going to use it with majority high quality sources like 4K Blu-ray, Gaming, and 4K streaming. If the majority of your viewing is TV and some streaming it is a waste of money IMO.

Reactions: dfa973

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you have the tv HDMI audio set to pass through?

Under tv settings, sound, arc

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
I have. This is a known problem with it, specific to the Dolby suite of surround sound available via ARC. I can switch it to DTS and it works like it should. People have been talking about it here:

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/4622/audio-delay-for-hdmi-connected-dolby-sources/p1

This is the Korean update, BTW.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
For me, personally, g-syng is all about the smoothness. The beats are absolutely perfect to demonstrate the issue. The "1 frame input lag" is a trade of for "perfect" frame times. I don't notice any lag tbh but the main point was to understand the importance of keeping the fps inside the range, e.g 40-120 for 1440p so you need some type of fps limiter. RTSS was just one suggestion.

EDIT: For the curious, blurbusters have imo the best article to read about this, Check it out.
Also, your particular game might have a built in framerate limiter. That is the best option if it is available.

7601 - 7620 of 16101 Posts