AVS Forum banner

7881 - 7900 of 16053 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
@Laupe

Change resolution to 1440p, keep pc mode enabled, put Nvidia (or amd) to limited (16-235) not full (0-255) and manually put on LG black to low, not auto. Does that fix it?
It happens on 1440p120 too. I think PC users should avoid RGB and force YCbCr444.

I tried the following setups in PC mode:
RGB Full with TV set to HDMI Black Full = Banding/Posturization
RGB Limited with TV set to HDMI Black Low = Banding/Posturization
YCbCr444 with TV set to HDMI Black Low = No Banding/Posturization and 4:4:4 is kept

This matches what others have reported with HDR games and PC Mode. HDR just makes it more noticeable but it's definitely happening in even 8bit SDR content. It takes certain, usually very dark, scenes to bring the issues out. I played ~8 games (52 hours over 2 weeks) on this set before realizing something wasn't right. I noticed it in a few games, but naturally blamed the games until I decided to do some tests. It's really bad in some dark horror games but basically unnoticeable in most games, and that's why I think many won't ever notice it.

My tests are the submarine ride at the very start of Bioshock 1 Remastered and some of the later dark levels in Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (which is the worst offender i've found). Its a night/day difference when it's working as intended in these. It ruined my Amnesia experience, as I thought the horrible posturization effect was just poor design choice, I was googling trying to find ways to get rid of it but no one had the same issue. Game looks great in YCbCr444.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Flicker problem LG C9

Hello everyone,

I have a question about LG C9. I have had this since July and experience problems with flickering of the image. It appears to be especially true with devices that are connected via HDMI. For example, when I watch a movie through my Himedia PRo Q5 media center, the image flickers in some colors. If I play the same movie with the C9 media player, I don't have this problem. I also have the same problems with the Xbox and TV provider box. But when I watch TV through the CI module, I don't have the problem again. Recently, the motherboard, panel and power supply have been replaced by LG. This has not solved the problem and they now say that it is a feature of the TV and can do nothing.

All image enhancers are off, including Oled Motion.

Does anyone experience the same problems? And how did he / she possibly solve it?

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
If you switched back to eARC while it’s playing then it doesn’t sound like the bug the rest of us had.

What AVR do you have?
I have the Denon X8500H but I don't believe the C9 knows which AVR I have. Maybe that's why I may need to do a factory reset?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
So pc mode on c9 is still a no-go due to banding issue? The reason I want to use pc mode is because then I can enjoy low input lag with other picture preset e.g. technicolor instead of game which is very inaccurate in colors according to flatpanels’s review

With the beta nvidia driver it kicks it into auto low latency mode which lets you select any picture preset with out being in PC mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
PC Mode appears to be bugged on this set.

There is noticeable posturization and banding on PC mode in 8bit games in RGB Full. It took me some odd 60 hours to realize the problem but now I can't unsee it. I noticed it in a few darker titles, like Bioshock 1, Amnesia: Machine for Pigs, etc. Every time I slightly move the camera in a very dark scene things get slightly brighter and there is banding/posturization. It looks very unnatural. Disabling PC mode fixes this. This happens in all presets and does not happen on my E6 in PC mode.

If you have Bioshock 1, during the intro when you ride the elevator down and it's dark. Turn your lights off and look around while in PC mode. It'll be very noticeable, disable PC mode and it goes away.

If someone can confirm, I'd like to know somethings not off with my set. PC mode is basically usable now that I know it's causing this... I've seen it in 4 different games so far. :mad:
I noticed the same when watching movies and wondering about all the banding.

I use my C9 as a HTPC and second monitor and I've been simply using Game Mode, when I need to play games, and isf Expert (Dark Room) when watching stuff. In the Home Dashboard I've set the icon to "Home Theater".

·
Registered
134 Posts
I messed around with HGIG for a little while on my PS4, and it just seems to set Dynamic Tone Mapping to off and that's about it. We probably won't know much about how it works until we get a confirmed list of games that work with it. Comparing the two, I prefer the settings I've had on my TV (which do include DTM set to on). It looks dimmer and I seem to lose some detail in dark areas when I set it to HGIG instead. I tested the feature mainly with Spider-Man and inFamous Second Son.

Oddly enough, I think I prefer HGIG on my Xbox One X, but I only tested it with one game on there so far, Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
To many variables such AVR type, cables etc.
But if you have ATMOS working in other apps that eliminates a lot of those variables. You on 04.70.05 firmware?

I have the Denon X8500H but I don't believe the C9 knows which AVR I have. Maybe that's why I may need to do a factory reset?
You can try doing factory resets. But you might try to test ATMOS outside of Netflix first. The Prime app should do ATMOS for example.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,892
I messed around with HGIG for a little while on my PS4, and it just seems to set Dynamic Tone Mapping to off and that's about it. We probably won't know much about how it works until we get a confirmed list of games that work with it. Comparing the two, I prefer the settings I've had on my TV (which do include DTM set to on). It looks dimmer and I seem to lose some detail in dark areas when I set it to HGIG instead. I tested the feature mainly with Spider-Man and inFamous Second Son.

Oddly enough, I think I prefer HGIG on my Xbox One X, but I only tested it with one game on there so far, Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

I did some testing with Battlefield 1. There’s a 10,000 nit test pattern in the game. With HGiG on there’s no tone mapping the the game hard clips anything above 800 nits. Set to calibrated Cinema mode I get get 3800–4000 nits.

Reactions: JohngPR

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Nvidia just released driver 440.97, which is higher than the 440.52 beta that had gsync. Anyone want to test to see if this update includes the gsync update? It doesn’t mention it

·
Registered
24 Posts
But if you have ATMOS working in other apps that eliminates a lot of those variables. You on 04.70.05 firmware?

You can try doing factory resets. But you might try to test ATMOS outside of Netflix first. The Prime app should do ATMOS for example.

No, I waiting with 04.70.05.
As i wrote before , hard drive with Atmos files, connected to C9 , working just fine.
Only Netflix do not working as should be.

·
Registered
49 Posts
oh your eyes are not playing tricks, you have bends and waves probably in all panels.
Thanks! That actually makes me feel a whole lot better about it. Will (try to) not let it bother me anymore :)

Again, I think it's bad design. Just make it sturdier. Doesn't need to be this ultra-thin. Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's the best solution. Especially if it actually makes the product worse. Kind of like phones with bend screen edges. It serves no purpose other than being a marketing gimmick.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nvidia just released driver 440.97, which is higher than the 440.52 beta that had gsync. Anyone want to test to see if this update includes the gsync update? It doesn’t mention it
Just tested it and I am not seeing the G-Sync option in NVidia Control Panel. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Has anyone else used the built-in Sling TV and the Youtube TV apps? I have noticed that the Sling TV app will embed into the dashboard (as an input similar to HDMI's 1 thru 4) and will auto-load when you turn the TV on. However, the YouTube TV app won't, requiring me to click-it every time I start the TV and it won't embed into the dashboard like the SlingTV app does.

Anyone having this issue or understand why this is?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Firmware 04.70.05 (and 03.60.45 released 3 days before that one) fixes the Netflix ATMOS bug. If you don't upgrade, of course the bug is still going to be there. Why are you waiting?

Great news!
Verified for couple minutes ago.
No update available yet :(

7881 - 7900 of 16053 Posts