AVS Forum banner

8041 - 8060 of 16029 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
According to the hdmi wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

OK so as it stands now, this is the most we can get with a hdmi2.0b card on a LG 2019 oled if you want hdr and 10 bit colour.

The limit of HDR 10 Bit + 4:4:4 chroma for 1440p is 100hz over hdmi2.0
The limit of HDR 10 bit + 4:4:4 chroma for 4K is 50hz over hdmi2.0

So if you want all the bells an whistles, and don't want to mess around with changing resolutions/chroma the above is the max you can push it.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't think it supports hgig.

Even games that don't support it, you will still see some changes unfortunately you will see the wrong changes.

The game is just reacting to you changing the setting.

I doubt they new anything about hgig when they made or remastered the Tlou

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch
According to Adam Fairclough (the guy who is doing the HDR Gaming Videos for HDTVTest)
games need updates in order to make changes visible.
So you should not see any changes at all if the game does not support this feature.

I also tried Crash Team Kart Racing and I could not see any changes.
Do not forget that Naughty Dog is one of Sonys Lead Studios (also home to the ICE Team).
It is pretty safe to assume that these guys have access to new stuff much earlier than other studios.

While it might be true that they did not know about HGiG when they first devloped this game the latest patch is from early September.
It would not surprise me if they "stealth intoruce" HGiG support in this patch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the statement of the century.

Although i just bought a 2080ti a few months ago, i knew this would be a problem, but i still bought one. I can still sell it.

But.....

Can't we just reduce the resolution? Shouldn't [email protected] 4:4:4 10 bit be possible? either at 60 or 120hz?
1440p at 60hz would work in terms of bandwidth for 444 10bit.
1440p at 120hz I think breaks the bank. It requires a compromise somewhere like 4k 60hz.
I guess 1440p at 100hz could work. I have never tried it as its not an option presented. It would have to be some sort of custom resolution.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
According to Adam Fairclough (the guy who is doing the HDR Gaming Videos for HDTVTest)

games need updates in order to make changes visible.

So you should not see any changes at all if the game does not support this feature.

I also tried Crash Team Kart Racing and I could not see any changes.

Do not forget that Naughty Dog is one of Sonys Lead Studios (also home to the ICE Team).

It is pretty safe to assume that these guys have access to new stuff much earlier than other studios.

While it might be true that they did not know about HGiG when they first devloped this game the latest patch is from early September.

It would not surprise me if they "stealth intoruce" HGiG support in this patch.
I didn't realize it had a patch in September, then it is possible

·
Registered
257 Posts
1440p at 60hz would work in terms of bandwidth for 444 10bit.
No

Not according to the wiki.

The max is 100hz

This is the kind of information that is confusing people around these forums.

With the new 440.52 Gsync beta nvidia drivers, they also unlocked a few extra resolutions, i'm sure 100hz 1440p was one of them, but i can't confirm as i reverted my drivers.

Can anyone test 1440p @ 100hz at 10bit 4:4:4 on 440.52? (this is the max theoretical limit of hdmi2.0) no one would want [email protected], so i will skip that

·
Registered
316 Posts
I didn't realize it had a patch in September, then it is possible

I did some more testing. This time with Uncharted The Lost Legacy (also got a patch in early September):
Strangely enough HGiG looks better now. While darker still areas still do not
change compared to off brighter areas now gain details.

After that I tried Ratchet & Clank. This game has not got any patch since it got the HDR Update back in 2016.
For some reason it still shows changes if I switch between HGiG on/off. (Side note: HGiG on also looked better her because I got more details in brighter areas).
But you might be right that, for some unknown reasons, some games show changes even though they have not got any update.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So renaming my pc to a “console” in the home dashboard on the lg oled, reduces some banding in games and gives me more picture options even in game mode. Instant game response is on. Is there any downside to leaving it like this? Shouldnt all gamers rename there pc to “console”? Am i missing something?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Dont get me wrong..this is the best display I have ever owned, but damn...so many (secret) settings. This really should not be so complicated to get the best picture! :/

I got the CalMan Home for LG software and calibrated my display by watching YouTube how-to videos from them, but they failed to mention what settings to use first on the C9.

So my question is...should we be changing a bunch of settings beyond default before calibrating??

·
Registered
10 Posts
No

Not according to the wiki.

The max is 100hz

This is the kind of information that is confusing people around these forums.

With the new 440.52 Gsync beta nvidia drivers, they also unlocked a few extra resolutions, i'm sure 100hz 1440p was one of them, but i can't confirm as i reverted my drivers.

Can anyone test 1440p @ 100hz at 10bit 4:4:4 on 440.52? (this is the max theoretical limit of hdmi2.0) no one would want [email protected], so i will skip that
Yeh I have 440.52 at the moment. Gotta say I am loving the G-sync.
Tested Destiny 2 and Borderlands 3. Currently favouring 1440p at 120fps on 442 10bit. 4K is definitely sharper but the 120fps is just so smooth.

I can only see 1440p as a resolution when the port is labelled 'PC'. I don't see an option to select any other Hz other than 120Hz.

Also I can get 444 10bit to work at 4K 30 but its not an option for 4K 50. I appreciate its theoretically possible but I can't get it as an option.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeh I have 440.52 at the moment. Gotta say I am loving the G-sync.
Tested Destiny 2 and Borderlands 3. Currently favouring 1440p at 120fps on 442 10bit. 4K is definitely sharper but the 120fps is just so smooth.

I can only see 1440p as a resolution when the port is labelled 'PC'. I don't see an option to select any other Hz other than 120Hz.

Also I can get 444 10bit to work at 4K 30 but its not an option for 4K 50. I appreciate its theoretically possible but I can't get it as an option.
You could probably add it as a custom resolution in nvidia control panel? or CRU

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I did some more testing. This time with Uncharted The Lost Legacy (also got a patch in early September):

Strangely enough HGiG looks better now. While darker still areas still do not

change compared to off brighter areas now gain details.

After that I tried Ratchet & Clank. This game has not got any patch since it got the HDR Update back in 2016.

For some reason it still shows changes if I switch between HGiG on/off. (Side note: HGiG on also looked better her because I got more details in brighter areas).

But you might be right that, for some unknown reasons, some games show changes even though they have not got any update.
Cool, I'm going to check those games out tonight as well..

Thanks for the heads up and the testing..

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wonder if Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One supports it. I was swapping Dynamic Tone Mapping between Off, and HGIG and there was a difference. For other games I tested, there wasn't any difference between those two. It's hardly definitive, but I found it interesting.

Edited this a bit because I originally posted my message before reading that others are doing the same thing I am. :p

When games don't support HGIG, I feel like the picture looks too dim for my tastes...to the point that you lose detail in dark scenes compared to turning DTM to 'on'.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just tested it a little further with Shadow of the Tomb Raider and now I'm convinced that it uses HGIG. It looks the same as turning dynamic tone mapping off when you are looking at dark scenes but when I stared directly into a light, I can see a difference between dynamic tone mapping off, on, and HGIG...they each seem to have a different profile.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I couldn't take losing my old setup entirely for G-Sync so I at least came up with a workaround, similar to the old freesync trick

I have my PC output the HDMI connection straight to the LG from my 2080ti

I have a second output on the 2080ti going into an active displayport to hdmi adapter which is cloned from the primary display

this goes into my receiver, which goes into my old 4 way splitter, 3 of those splitter connections go into the remaining 3 inputs on my LG tv

so as long as i'm on the direct connection I get functional G-Sync, when I don't need that and I want other sets of settings (BFI and others) I switch between the remaining 3 inputs as I did before, Don't even need to toggle G-Sync off in the control panel as the remaining outputs still have a normal image even with g-sync active.

1440p120hz still works on both connections this way as well so no loss there.

The last remaining issue is the random freezes i get when powering my tv back on after it's sat idle with the pc on, hopefully nvidia releases a non beta driver to solve that one

·
Registered
464 Posts
Does instant game response work on pc or only xbox? As in we can obtain low input lag in all picture modes?

As for HGiG, does it only apply to console, not pc? This is frustrating. There should be some kind of announcement and instructions when they introduce new options in the menu.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
According to the hdmi wiki.
OK so as it stands now, this is the most we can get with a hdmi2.0b card on a LG 2019 oled if you want hdr and 10 bit colour.

The limit of HDR 10 Bit + 4:4:4 chroma for 1440p is 100hz over hdmi2.0
The limit of HDR 10 bit + 4:4:4 chroma for 4K is 50hz over hdmi2.0
If you reduce the horizontal blanking you can get 120Hz for 1440p.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Can someone briefly explain what this hgig everyone is referring to all of the sudden means?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Can someone briefly explain what this hgig everyone is referring to all of the sudden means?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Google

https://www.hgig.org/

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have it turned on then I went into my PS4 pro hdr settings, and recalibrated the hdr..

Again I don't know what games support it yet but it's supposed to see the game hdr settings to the right specs for picture quality

If you are using the 7.0 firmware the calibration is there, but games have to explicitly use the APIs to support it. AFAIK there are no titles that do this yet. Perhaps upcoming titles will use it (Death Stranding, Last of Us 2) and Sony may port some 1st party games to the system.

8041 - 8060 of 16029 Posts