AVS Forum banner

8281 - 8300 of 16056 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I tried HGIG with MK11 and noticed no difference with DTM off. When calibrating the HDR on the PS4 in the video settings menu, do you have HGIG on or off?
Most games need to be patched to take advantage oh hgig

With hgig on, dtm is automatically turned off. According to HDTV test, only no man's sky works with it. (I also confirmed on Twitter that the info in the video is still accurate in regards to games supporting hgig, only no man sky has the current algorithms in it as of October 2019, no other games were patched yet)

They do state to leave hgig on because there are planned patches coming from sony & I was told by Xbox insider staff that hgig will be rolled out to Xbox one and some games have it already (gears 5 & outer worlds) although the system doesn't recognize it yet.

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

·
Registered
118 Posts
Most games need to be patched to take advantage oh hgig

With hgig on, dtm is automatically turned off. According to HDTV test, only no man's sky works with it. (I also confirmed on Twitter that the info in the video is still accurate in regards to games supporting hgig, only no man sky has the current algorithms in it as of October 2019, no other games were patched yet)

They do state to leave hgig on because there are planned patches coming from sony & I was told by Xbox insider staff that hgig will be rolled out to Xbox one and some games have it already (gears 5 & outer worlds) although the system doesn't recognize it yet.

https://youtu.be/31Mf5_06rO0

I agree with everything said in this post. But still, HGIG does something in almost all games I have tested. Try it yourself. Just turn HGIG on, do the ps4 HDR calibration and compare the HDR settings in-game or/and look at the sun in game while switching HGIG on and off. It does add a lot of detail that was not visible before around the sun etc.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I agree with everything said in this post. But still, HGIG does something in almost all games I have tested. Try it yourself. Just turn HGIG on, do the ps4 HDR calibration and compare the HDR settings in-game or/and look at the sun in game while switching HGIG on and off. It does add a lot of detail that was not visible before around the sun etc.
What game are you testing?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I have tested the uncharted games, spiderman, shadow of the tomb raider, mass effect andromeda. Try any game and look at the sun
Ok, I will check tonight

·
Registered
232 Posts
At least as of right now, Outer Worlds doesn't even have HDR on Xbox One X. Not sure if there'll be a patch coming or not, but currently, no HDR.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I want to watch John wick 2 and 3 over the next two days and looking for recommendation with which app/source I should watch them from. I want the app/source with the best picture quality if possible. Should I rent the two movies via Apple TV 4K-movie section or via the native LG C9 google movies app. Or if you recommend a another app to rent these movies from. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I am the proud owner of a brand new LG OLED65C9PUA.

So far things have gone pretty smoothly EXCEPT for the idiotic drawings showing how to install the pedastal. I know they're trying to dumb down the process assuming we cant read but those steps could have been described in 4 succinct sentences. Instead we have, what?, 9 uninterpretable drawings.

Enuff whining. My question:

Is there a way to turn off the stupid Magic Wand pointer? I didnt see an on/off setting, just a size adjustment...

Thank you,
Scott
There is a key combination to disable it, but AFAIK, no one has been successful in getting the pointer to stay "off" permanently. It always seems to return.

From what I have always heard, by researching and on TV manuals they are supposed to be delivered vertically. However anyone correct me if I am wrong.
They should be stored and transported vertically.

How come I still have Firmware 3.60.19 when 4.70.05 is on the website? Wonder why auto update online doesn't work.
FW is rolled out regionally across the globe. Even in regions, they stagger the updates.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I want to watch John wick 2 and 3 over the next two days and looking for recommendation with which app/source I should watch them from. I want the app/source with the best picture quality if possible. Should I rent the two movies via Apple TV 4K-movie section or via the native LG C9 google movies app. Or if you recommend a another app to rent these movies from. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.
For best picture quality you need it on disc.

For streaming, it depends on your connection. Even too people with same service can have their picture affected by various things.

You would need to see witch one you prefer..

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
At least as of right now, Outer Worlds doesn't even have HDR on Xbox One X. Not sure if there'll be a patch coming or not, but currently, no HDR.
I am going to confirm with them again and see if that was I error. I was surprised too that it didn't have hdr on release

·
Registered
316 Posts
What game are you testing?

I went back to Modern Warfare (2019).
This time I was able to spot some more details in brighter areas (with HGiG on) compared to my last test.
I do not know why. I did not change anything. I calibrated with HGiG on and fine-tuned the ingame HDR settings.
However every "non-bright" object still looks the same as HGiG off.

I gues I will try No Man's Sky.

€: Went back into No Man's Sky (latest update installed). I could not see any difference at all between HGiG on/off.
No difference in darker scenes. No difference with bright objects.

€2: Sorry, bad focus during the first 5 seconds:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I went back to Modern Warfare (2019).

This time I was able to spot some more details in brighter areas (with HGiG on) compared to my last test.

I do not know why. I did not change anything. I calibrated with HGiG on and fine-tuned the ingame HDR settings.

However every "non-bright" object still looks the same as HGiG off.

I gues I will try No Man's Sky.

€: Went back into No Man's Sky (latest update installed). I could not see any difference at all between HGiG on/off.

No difference in darker scenes. No difference with bright objects.

€2: Sorry, bad focus during the first 5 seconds:
If u watch the video I posted, you don't see things visually in my mans sky. Watch towards the end of the video I posted and you will see what I mean

·
Vendor
26,667 Posts
Huge streaming fan, best way to watch is a disk though :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
So I have the ultimate settings for the LG C9 with gsync,

first force vsync off globally.
In games turn vsync off as well and let gsync do its job.

use gsync windows/full screen mode and check box below. You're not in gsync mode unless your C9 says instant game response.

Also turn up LLM to Ultra, and OMG so awesome.

I have tried with [email protected] with 422, it doesnt like [email protected] in some games but not alot. It shines best with [email protected] desktop and it works amazing with HDR. Running at 10bit FULL, RGB, HDR [email protected] gsync on LG C9 US
If you turn off v-sync in the NVCP then you cannot have G-sync.
This has been a point of confusion for many.

If you want to take advantage of G-Sync an G-Sync compatible monitors (official or unofficial) then you have to set your Global 3D settings in the NVCP to 'G-Sync/G-Sync Compatible' and then for individual program/games you want to use G-Sync you have to set V-Sync to 'On'.
Not 'fast-sync' or 'adaptive' - just 'on'.

In the actual in-game settings, you absolutely want to ensure V-Sync is off.

Feel free to search for yourself, but if you do not set it up this way in your NVCP then you are not getting G-Sync (even if you have the little 'G-Sync' overlay enabled and you think you are getting G-Sync).

Low Latency Mode at Ultra comes with more problems than it may fix. Just having it set to 'on' is sufficient - there's many articles on this also.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
I tried HGIG with MK11 and noticed no difference with DTM off. When calibrating the HDR on the PS4 in the video settings menu, do you have HGIG on or off?
It's intended that you set "Dynamic Tone Mapping" to "HGIG", and always leave it set to HGIG.

Next, when using your PS4 you can go to the Settings bit and make the adjustments with "Dynamic Tone Mapping" to "HGIG" . You will then get the Tone Mapping results that the game developers intended. Eventually they won't need to be set per-game, as it's a global thing. You won't even need to adjust for your TV, since once your PS4 knows which TV you have (which it reads from the HDMI EDID) it'll look up the best settings in the HGIG database. You only need to adjust if you're not happy with the defaults for HGIG-LGC9.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I want to watch John wick 2 and 3 over the next two days and looking for recommendation with which app/source I should watch them from. I want the app/source with the best picture quality if possible. Should I rent the two movies via Apple TV 4K-movie section or via the native LG C9 google movies app. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Apple TV is the only one with Dolby Vision if I’m not mistaken.

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
556 Posts
If you also upgraded your sound system (including a good sub woofer), I would suggest Edge of Tomorrow. Though you may have to do blu-ray in order to get the good HD audio.

It has a lot of dark scenes toward the end. It is a good test for any sound system with lots of surround sound explosions and such. The first few seconds has some of the lowest bass you will find in any movie, that will push pretty much any sub woofer to its limits.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There's been a bit of misinformation regarding G-Sync and the correct settings you need to benefit from it. I suggest the reading of these two articles, from Blur Busters (the authority on all things related to gaming displays):

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/15/

They cover everything one needs to get G-Sync running correctly.

Speaking of which, I have two questions related to the C9:

1. Has anyone been able to add a custom resolution of 1440p at 126Hz that actually works?
  2. Is G-Sync working fine for you on 1440p at refresh rates higher than 120Hz?
I can add that res just fine using CRU, but selecting it on NVCP gives me a black screen. Also, I still haven't tested G-Sync in 1440p at higher refresh rates.

Sorry... my bad, you are 100% correct - it had flicked back to RGB 8-bit and I didn't clock it (pun intended! lol). Interesting about CRU, will be good to hear how that goes (I can't seem to get on with CRU for some reason... I think it's because it has too many options for my lizard brain) :)
Thanks for the confirmation!

I was able to add a 3840x2160 resolution at 66Hz refresh rate using CRU, and it's working with different color formats and depths (personally, I use YCbCr422/12bpc). Tried 1440p at 126Hz, but that gives me a black screen when selecting it on NVCP, so I may try a lower refresh rate later.

CRU does seem overwhelming at first, but once you get around to using it, it becomes less intimidating. To add a custom resolution of [email protected] (confirmed working on my 65" C9), do the following:

1. On CRU's main window, make sure that "LG TV (active)" is selected in the drop-down list (top left corner);
  2. Under "Detailed resolutions", there should be two, already, with two slots left. Click on "Add";
  3. Select "Automatic - LCD standard" as the timing;
  4. Type in the necessary resolution (3840x2160) and refresh rate (66Hz) information;
  5. Click on "OK" on both windows;
  6. Run "restart64.exe" (found in CRU's folder) to apply the EDID override;
  7. Select your new resolution on NVCP, under PC (don't forget to select the new 66Hz refresh rate).
That's the procedure! As I mentioned, I was able to add [email protected], but selecting it on NVCP gives me a black screen. So, if you'd like to test it, let me know of the results. :)

That is exactly what I am seeing. brightness 47 in HDR is closest to being correct now, but still clip a lot of details that were visible in older drivers (and in the youtube app) Please report this to Nvidia here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSewHJk1xP-C5elLBRCDLTLpNQZ9eiefrdZmUGP9hMCN6gKssA/viewform?usp=send_form

Since we now have 3-4 independent measures showing the same result, I assume all C9s are affected and probably also many other displays as well.
Reported! Hopefully they fix it for the next official beta release, and also make G-Sync available out of beta.

Is there any way to get 5.1 Sound atm when connecting the PC directly to the C9 and using eARC?

Maybe with some extra device? For example a soundcard which somehow decodes PCM into some sort of DD+ 5.1 ? Sorry i have no clue about sound.
As others have suggested, run an HDMI cable from your mobo's HDMI out, or second HDMI out on your GPU, to the AVR. If your mobo or GPU don't have more HDMI outs, use a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter.

Just make sure that you select a resolution for the secondary display (your AVR will be seen as a display by Windows) that actually supports HD audio formats. You can always override the EDIDs using CRU and hack in the missing info.

Yes you are correct. I am limiting my fps to 57 and 117 either using RTSS or in game fps limiter.

I didn't at first when I tried Destiny 2 at 4k and it was ridiculous tearing. After limiting to 57 it was butter smooth. However I felt that given the low input lag, 120 (117) just felt so much nicer. There is of course a noticeable loss is visual clarity.
Thanks for the confirmation as well. Good to know G-Sync is working at 1440p. Have you tried manually adding a higher refresh rate to that same resolution?

From my PC, via the Marantz 6013, the best I can achieve at 4k is 60hz @ 8bit YCbCr 4.2.0. (AMD GPU). To be able to get 4.4.4 at 4k I have to drop the refresh rate to 30hz or lower. Which is not good for desktop usage. In order to get 10bit colour I have to drop the resolution to 1080p.

If I try 1440p, it's still limited to 8bit but oddly I get the issue with Windows throwing up an active signal resolution (under 'Display Information') that is 4k but a desktop resolution that is 1440p. I'm wondering if this is because the Marantz HDMI inputs don't recognise native 1440p?

I.m sure I have read in earlier posts here that some can get 4k 60hz @ YCbCr 4.4.4. Since I can't, I'm wondering why not?
That certainly sounds like a bad cable to me. You need "Premium certified" cables, like these. You also mentioned their length (15m). If I'm not mistaken, that's the max length, even for Premium certified cables, that can still do 4K at 60Hz and HDR (you'll notice that the longest Monoprice ones are 30ft/~9m, and they're also a thicker gauge).

I'd try a new cable first, as that's the easiest (and cheapest) route to go. If even those Monoprice cables don't work, you may consider looking into alternatives, like "active" HDMI cables, fiber optic/coaxial adapters, etc.

Same. I can only get 8bit with [email protected], RGB Full.
That's due to HDMI bandwidth limitations. Nothing you can do about it.

I am the proud owner of a brand new LG OLED65C9PUA.

So far things have gone pretty smoothly EXCEPT for the idiotic drawings showing how to install the pedastal. I know they're trying to dumb down the process assuming we cant read but those steps could have been described in 4 succinct sentences. Instead we have, what?, 9 uninterpretable drawings.
I had such a hard time mounting that pedestal, you have no idea. Even the videos that I watched weren't clear (or at least didn't properly show the installation of the base).

Not sure about Xbox, but The Outer Worlds definitely doesn't have HDR on PC (Microsoft Store version).

yeah i had the same thing.

I think our 2080ti's don't even need gsync.

But i also read you can enable g-sync from the windows display settings as well as the nvcpanel. try the windows setting. i uninstalled already, because my windowed games like path of exile were choppy as all hell, until i frame rate limited it to 57fps with rivatuner. Even then it wasn't as smooth as just plain old vsync.

Also the Nvidia Pendulum G-sync test demo, would probably be the best way to test.
So I have the ultimate settings for the LG C9 with gsync,

first force vsync off globally.
In games turn vsync off as well and let gsync do its job.

use gsync windows/full screen mode and check box below. You're not in gsync mode unless your C9 says instant game response.

Also turn up LLM to Ultra, and OMG so awesome.

I have tried with [email protected] with 422, it doesnt like [email protected] in some games but not alot. It shines best with [email protected] desktop and it works amazing with HDR. Running at 10bit FULL, RGB, HDR [email protected] gsync on LG C9 US
If you turn off v-sync in the NVCP then you cannot have G-sync.
This has been a point of confusion for many.

If you want to take advantage of G-Sync an G-Sync compatible monitors (official or unofficial) then you have to set your Global 3D settings in the NVCP to 'G-Sync/G-Sync Compatible' and then for individual program/games you want to use G-Sync you have to set V-Sync to 'On'.
Not 'fast-sync' or 'adaptive' - just 'on'.

In the actual in-game settings, you absolutely want to ensure V-Sync is off.

Feel free to search for yourself, but if you do not set it up this way in your NVCP then you are not getting G-Sync (even if you have the little 'G-Sync' overlay enabled and you think you are getting G-Sync).

Low Latency Mode at Ultra comes with more problems than it may fix. Just having it set to 'on' is sufficient - there's many articles on this also.
@PittyH and @Altair Z, listen to @Globespy 's advice. Also, check out the links at the beginning of my post.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not sure about Xbox, but The Outer Worlds definitely doesn't have HDR on PC (Microsoft Store version).
I'm currently playing it on Xbox One X and there's no HDR. I read from others and several reviews that it's the case for them as well. Still a lot of fun and looks decent enough for me.

8281 - 8300 of 16056 Posts