AVS Forum banner

9621 - 9640 of 16086 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
It may not. I appreciate the other side of the argument. But I wanted to state my perspective in case anyone sees flaws in my logic. I'm definately open the possibility I'm missing something obvious.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Question for everyone. Is anyone having issues with LG Channels at the moment?

I'm getting the error code "hmm, I can't access the LG channels lineup at the moment. (9819)".

I have activated LG channels in the channel settings tab.

Also, no LG channels are showing on my channel guide.

I'm rather flummoxed. Anyone else not getting this working at the moment?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
It may not. I appreciate the other side of the argument. But I wanted to state my perspective in case anyone sees flaws in my logic. I'm definately open the possibility I'm missing something obvious.
In your Nvidia control panel make sure you set the output to rgb full or 444 and go to video color settings and make sure it 0-255 and your black level is set to high on the lg

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Is it still recommended to do a clear panel noise after 100 hours with on the G6 and E6?

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
557 Posts
No
Every 2000 hours, a message will pop up after 2000 hours if you wanna do that
Is there any reason not to do the clear panel noise at the 2000 hour mark?

·
Registered
160 Posts
It is a question to a guy who implemented color pipeline of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. I mean that guy https://twitter.com/P_Malin, so I asked him a question.
So, he answered, the game indeed supports HGIG (or was done with HGIG in mind).
"Thanks! MW was mastered with a HGiG tonemap in mind so enabling HGiG on your TV is a benefit. You should re-run the ingame HDR calibration when switching HGiG mode. We don't use the HGiG calibration settings directly but our ingame HDR calibration measures the same things."
https://twitter.com/P_Malin/status/1197206654359625736?s=19

·
Registered
375 Posts
"Thanks! MW was mastered with a HGiG tonemap in mind so enabling HGiG on your TV is a benefit. You should re-run the ingame HDR calibration when switching HGiG mode. We don't use the HGiG calibration settings directly but our ingame HDR calibration measures the same things."
I am beginning to think that any game with an in-menu HDR calibration should be done with HGIG enabled. If HGIG is simply telling the TV not to tone map because the game will do that, it should work with any HDR game that has HDR calibration for the game engine to tone map appropriately. I think the console level calibration allows games to take settings stored on the console so the user does not have to calibrate each game individually.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The overall dimensions of a 65" C9 is 57" x 32.7" x 1.8". Is someone able to provide me the width & height dimensions of the bump-out (the 1.8" thick section)?

Thanks in advance

·
I'm That Guy, don't be me
557 Posts
The overall dimensions of a 65" C9 is 57" x 32.7" x 1.8". Is someone able to provide me the width & height dimensions of the bump-out (the 1.8" thick section)?

Thanks in advance
47 5/8" x 15 3/16"

·
Registered
136 Posts

Thanks in advance
I can measure it when I get home, but it's got probably about 3" to 4" of thin screen on either side of it, and is about 8" to 10" high. That's just an estimate on my part, though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I always read that you should set your TV black level to "high" when connecting the PC (Nvidia) and choosing "RGB Full" as output of you graphics card.

When I try that out and open a full screen Image that is only black, it is a little bit greyish.

But when i set the TV black level to "low" and I open the same Image, the screen is completely dark, like the TV is turned off. Which I think it should be.

What is my error?
In HDR, it will not show in Nvidia Control Panel but settings are set to Limited dynamic range (16-255). Thus why you see a discrepancy when going from SDR and HDR and playing the same dark video. For this, don't do anything to the Nvidia Control Panel. On your TV side, just make sure black level is set to Low

·
Vendor
26,687 Posts
I was watching a documentary about the manufacturing process of oled panels. And they where showing examples how pressure inside the panel can create the oled pixels to be more or less prone to emit light. Which is why the pressure needs to be uniform.
You have a link to this documentary?

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
I am beginning to think that any game with an in-menu HDR calibration should be done with HGIG enabled. If HGIG is simply telling the TV not to tone map because the game will do that, it should work with any HDR game that has HDR calibration for the game engine to tone map appropriately. I think the console level calibration allows games to take settings stored on the console so the user does not have to calibrate each game individually.
Yes, at the end of the transition period, games won't need to have their own adjustment screens, and will take the data from the console's global one. And in turn, the nice thing about HGIG is that you don't even need to do that if you don't want to - the console can get the TV's make/model from the EDID and get very good defaults for your exact TV from the HGIG database of TV tonemaps. see https://www.hgig.org/doc/ForBetterHDRGaming.pdf . But this is very early days.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
My understanding is "Real Cinema" in the C9 settings and "Match Frame Rate" in the Apple TV settings serve the same purpose. Is that correct? If so, should I only enable 1 at a time, and if so, which one?
Right, but does “real cinema” do that as well? (That was my question)

I understand that matching content frame rate is a huge plus and thats what I’m trying to achieve. But I’m wondering if the two features in the separate hardware will cause a problem if they are both turned on.
My understanding is that "Match Frame Rate" in the Apple TV settings is just enabling 24fps output when the source video is encoded in 24fps. With this option turned off, the 24fps video will be converted to 60fps with a 3:2 cadence (some of the original frames being displayed 3/60th of a second, and some being displayed 1/30th of a second, rather than the original 1/24th of a second).

"Real Cinema" on the C9 will attempt to detect a 3:2 cadence in 60fps video, and when detected reconstruct the original 24 fps for display (so each of the original frames is displayed for 1/24 of a second). So far I haven't seen any system like this that is perfect in detecting 3:2 cadence. The usually don't sample the entire image and are fooled when no motion is occurring in the area they are sampling. My LG C9 has mistakenly applied "Real Cinema" where the original video was not 24fps. This becomes particularly evident in long pans where the motion becomes jerky instead of smooth.

Perhaps someone else here can verify it, but I believe I've read that "Real Cinema" must be turned on for the LG C9 to display 24fps when the source is 24fps. I need to experiment with this a bit, and I'll report in a future post. It seems odd to me that with "Real Cinema" turned off that the C9 wouldn't pass and directly display a 24fps signal input to it.

My recommendation would be to turn both on. This allows the Apple TV to output 24fps when it is present and "Real Cinema" should allow it to be displayed without alteration on the C9. Turning "Match Frame Rate" off causes the Apple TV to convert 24fps to 60fps, and then the C9 has to convert it back which isn't 100% reliable. It is best to directly pass through the 24fps rather than trying to convert it back and forth (more reliable, less conversion, and less bandwidth over HDMI). Having "Real Cinema" on allows the C9 to continue attempted detection of 24fps encoded in 60fps and then apply conversion back to 24fps, which still could occur. If you have some program where the motion looks jerky or irregular, try turning off "Real Cinema" on the C9 and see if there is an improvement.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
"Real Cinema" on the C9 will attempt to detect a 3:2 cadence in 60fps video, and when detected reconstruct the original 24 fps for display (so each of the original frames is displayed for 1/24 of a second).

[...]

Perhaps someone else here can verify it, but I believe I've read that "Real Cinema" must be turned on for the LG C9 to display 24fps when the source is 24fps.
[...]

My recommendation would be to turn both on.
I would agree with this and I think you're correct on both counts above. I glean snippets of info from these owner's threads, I have a C8 of course so this may have changed, but for what it's worth here's what I have gathered up from the C8 thread:

"Real Cinema"
  • On+Source is 24p => Output each frame exactly 5 times (120Hz panel, 24*5=120).
  • On+Source is sending content shot in 24fps, but sent via a 60i signal (e.g. a movie via cable box) => 3:2 pulldown is applied to fit 24 into 60, which creates judder. Real Cinema applies reverse 3:2 pulldown to get back to the original 24fps and eliminate the judder.
  • Off => Do not apply reverse 3:2 pulldown, keep the judder.
Sometimes it's greyed out. i haven't pinned down exactly what makes it get disabled, but I would expect it to be "unavailable" when for example it's getting 60p instead of 60i, or some other signal which can't possibly have had 3:2 pulldown applied, or not 24p.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

So basically guys, the only version of this game that will do HGIG properly is the PS4 version. It is the only system that has HGIG enabled right now. You should not be turning on HGIG for the Xbox One X. It doesn’t support it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
So basically guys, the only version of this game that will do HGIG properly is the PS4 version. It is the only system that has HGIG enabled right now. You should not be turning on HGIG for the Xbox One X. It doesn’t support it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
It's doing something on the x1x. Bf5 main menu screen shows it. If u click the dynamic tone mapping its blown out but hgig u get those details back even when doing the hdr setting on bf5 and rdr2 the clipping starts at around 780-800 nits on both games instead of having to move the slider til the 1000 plus mark to get things to disappear

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9621 - 9640 of 16086 Posts