AVS Forum banner

9641 - 9660 of 16074 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Red Dead 2 at 4K 60fps ish with gsync looks fantastic. I can’t wait till we have GPUs that can power 4k 120.

I can’t imagine what new technologies they’re going to come out with that will improve 4k/120 HDR on an OLED they would require us to upgrade our TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
My understanding is "Real Cinema" in the C9 settings and "Match Frame Rate" in the Apple TV settings serve the same purpose. Is that correct? If so, should I only enable 1 at a time, and if so, which one?
Perhaps someone else here can verify it, but I believe I've read that "Real Cinema" must be turned on for the LG C9 to display 24fps when the source is 24fps. I need to experiment with this a bit, and I'll report in a future post. It seems odd to me that with "Real Cinema" turned off that the C9 wouldn't pass and directly display a 24fps signal input to it.
I've experimented tonight and found that the TV is definitely accepting 24p input with "Real Cinema" turned off. What I can't positively confirm is that it is being displayed at the correct 1/24 second per frame (5 x 1/120 second). Fortunately or unfortunately, I'm not very good at positively detecting the difference in cadence between properly displayed 24p, and 24p displayed within 60fps with a 3:2 cadence, except where combing is evident from interlacing. It seems ridiculous to me that the C9 would expend processing power with "Real Cinema" turned off to convert 24p to 60fps, when it is fully capable of displaying the 24p directly. For that reason I believe that if 24p is input, it is displayed at 24p regardless of whether "Real Cinema" is on or off, but I could be mistaken about that.

Reactions: Upandown

·
Registered
1 Posts
LG c9 gives a format error when playing through apple tv app on iphone using airplay screen mirror, video was downloaded to apple tv app in iphone using itunes.
tried various videos nothing plays. They all play perfectly using usb drive on the c9 though. everything else works fine in airplay.
Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Sometimes it's greyed out. i haven't pinned down exactly what makes it get disabled...
From my observation it grays out when TruMotion is anything other than OFF. Not sure what effect though, other than you're overriding the Real Cinema motion tune or possibly it just forces Real Cinema ON, since you are applying manual judder/blur parameters.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Hmm. I don't think this is correct. How are you defining "HD audio"? I take it to mean more than 16bits. Just because the DD+ container uses lossy compression, it doesn't mean that the Atmos soundtrack it is carrying isn't HD audio.
On the particular case of DD+, only 7.1 DD+ soundtracks can carry 48KHz/20-24bit HD audio (lossy, of course).
7.1 DD+ lossy HD audio can be found on some movies on the VUDU streaming service.
The rest of the streaming services deliver only 5.1 DD+ that cannot carry HD audio, even if it is DD+Atmos or not.
I have not found a 7.1 DD+Atmos soundtrack till now, only 5.1 DD+Atmos.

·
Registered
160 Posts
On the particular case of DD+, only 7.1 DD+ soundtracks can carry 48KHz/20-24bit HD audio (lossy, of course).
7.1 DD+ lossy HD audio can be found on some movies on the VUDU streaming service.
The rest of the streaming services deliver only 5.1 DD+ that cannot carry HD audio, even if it is DD+Atmos or not.
I have not found a 7.1 DD+Atmos soundtrack till now, only 5.1 DD+Atmos.
It is more compicated than that as @Nevcairiel said "It [Bly-ray] uses an ordinary 5.1 AC3 stream and a second E-AC3 extension stream that contains 4 channels which are supposed to replace the back channel from the AC3 5.1, and add two more channel for a 7.1 mix."
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/issues/168

It is now supported by ffmpeg https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/3e9d676192fc6ef719a904f8a2d114efec03d7c1
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/ae9297097696f3d06417a6e8a5368d5f38a6edb4

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
It is more compicated than that as @Nevcairiel said "It [Bly-ray] uses an ordinary 5.1 AC3 stream and a second E-AC3 extension stream that contains 4 channels which are supposed to replace the back channel from the AC3 5.1, and add two more channel for a 7.1 mix."
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/issues/168

It is now supported by ffmpeg https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/3e9d676192fc6ef719a904f8a2d114efec03d7c1
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/commit/ae9297097696f3d06417a6e8a5368d5f38a6edb4
That very specific dual-stream of AC-3+E-AC-3 case of Bluray is:
1. rarely encountered;
2. not streaming related;

Streaming services use a very straightforward setup of classic 5.1 DD or 5.1 DD+Atmos and sometimes 7.1 DD+.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Question for everyone. Is anyone having issues with LG Channels at the moment?

I'm getting the error code "hmm, I can't access the LG channels lineup at the moment. (9819)".

I have activated LG channels in the channel settings tab.

Also, no LG channels are showing on my channel guide.

I'm rather flummoxed. Anyone else not getting this working at the moment?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Anyone? It only takes a minute to check if you too are having issues. I'd really appreciate it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,650
The gamma option is greyed out in Cinema User when watching HDR, is there a way to adjust it?

From what I understand, gamma isn’t used w/ HDR. The EOTF curve takes over.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,651
Is anyone using WiSA speakers or have that setup? I’m looking to upgrade my 5.1 now and adding Atmos next year. However, I’m
thinking if I should wait until later next year when we might see more WiSA products.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used my friends c9. And set both to default.

His has correct gamma and no clouding. Mine has halos clouding and ips bleed style blacks.

On my video card and hdmi cable.i hit the default gamma in the games and it looks perfec on his. On my c9 it looks washed out. If I lower the brightness on his it looks crushed at 49 but for mine 40. However its crushing just as early for me so it's a combination of crush and washed out.

If I play a random game. Set the gamma to 50 on his. (Via game settings) it's perfect. On mine I need to lower it to 1.

On his its 100 percent perfect. Blacks are sharp. No clouding. Colors pop 80% more.

Something is up with my panel. It's funny how LG ask about dead pixels as the reason they come over. When this issue affects me 999999% more.

I'm very happy I have a dead pixel or two. Because somehow that's not subjective whereas gamma/clouding issues require them actually considering less likely options that may not fit under a clause.

I would keep a panel with 600 dead pixels if I had this panel and that panel to choose from.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts

His has correct gamma and no clouding. Mine has halos clouding and ips bleed style blacks.

On my video card and hdmi cable.i hit the default gamma in the games and it looks perfec on his. On my c9 it looks washed out. If I lower the brightness on his it looks crushed at 49 but for mine 40. However its crushing just as early for me so it's a combination of crush and washed out.

If I play a random game. Set the gamma to 50 on his. (Via game settings) it's perfect. On mine I need to lower it to 1.

On his its 100 percent perfect. Blacks are sharp. No clouding. Colors pop 80% more.

Something is up with my panel. It's funny how LG ask about dead pixels as the reason they come over. When this issue affects me 999999% more.

I'm very happy I have a dead pixel or two. Because somehow that's not subjective whereas gamma/clouding issues require them actually considering less likely options that may not fit under a clause.
LG is actually pretty good about warranty especially compared to Samsung who are just trash.

If the new panel solves the problem it might be worth your time to get the serial/part info off of the bad vs good part and ask the service tech if they have ever seen the issue before. Some of those guys have swapped a LOT of panels.

·
Registered
26 Posts

LG is actually pretty good about warranty especially compared to Samsung who are just trash.

If the new panel solves the problem it might be worth your time to get the serial/part info off of the bad vs good part and ask the service tech if they have ever seen the issue before. Some of those guys have swapped a LOT of panels.

They have been with my b8 before this. I had s bright and dead pixel. They replaced it. I had a dead pixel. Waited a week and replaced again.

I feel that was me being fussy because all those panels where beautiful and flawless compared to whatever the hell is going on here .

This issue does require perceptive skills. Like you need to be sensitive and observant in order to not just go about your day and say it's fine. So I might just show them the dead pixels.

At least that's a currency they understand. Trying to get this across when there are actual blacks . Is going to possibly be a huge scene I don't need to have. It's hard enough explaining it here and you're all people that care/notice.

That being said they are seriously taking their time with this c9 vs the b8. Still in the inspect photo phase 4 days after sending them.

·
Vendor
26,685 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah. Here's hoping they are good again. And I'm also hoping it's not software or the panel electronics. Or maybe an update gone wrong.

Its definately not the tv settings tho. I 1 to one matched it with his. And its night and day (he said he can't tell much of a difference)

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
Yeah. Here's hoping they are good again. And I'm also hoping it's not software or the panel electronics. Or maybe an update gone wrong.

Its definately not the tv settings tho. I 1 to one matched it with his. And its night and day (he said he can't tell much of a difference)
Well I can sympathize on seeing PQ artifacts that are patently obvious to professionals or enthusiasts but that are completely invisible to joe 6 pack.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Can someone let me know how wide the stand is on the 77?
EDIT: Never mind, found it in a support Q&A on the LG site. Funny they don't list the stand dimensions in the manuals that I could find. Anyhow, for the 77 the stand is 46.8"

·
Registered
26 Posts

Well I can sympathize on seeing PQ artifacts that are patently obvious to professionals or enthusiasts but that are completely invisible to joe 6 pack.
Yeah exactly. That's also why I got the c9 instead of keeping my b8. I'm the kind of person that notices adaptive sync and frame pacing. Ever since I had gsync on my Acer xb270hu it's been the benchmark for removing all of that stuttering troubleshooting.

That being said I tolerated that monitors backlight and dull colors glow because I knew that was not what it was going for.

This was meant to be the best of both worlds. It's just you can end up with a **** panel.

9641 - 9660 of 16074 Posts