AVS Forum banner

9681 - 9700 of 16029 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
But you need tonemap by standard! The tv cannot even do 1000 nits, so tonemap is always needed to put 1000 and more highlights to ~~850 nits.
For movies, Maybe. For gaming, definitely not. The picture comparison before and after is CLEARLY far superior with Dynamic Tonemap off and in game calibration. The Dynamic tonemap on makes for washed out whites and overly dark areas. Playing MW more than anything makes this apparent. I have not compared back and forth for movies to yet ascertain my own opinion there, but for gaming I have.

For a VERY clear example load up Azhir Cave in MW. Go to the cave entrance on the "A" side (for dominion). Looks at the rocks to the left and inside cave entrance. With Dynamic Tonemap on the rocks are super shiny white like they are the glossiest rocks on the planet, and you cant see in the cave at all. Turn Dynamic Tonemap off (or set to HGIG which turns it off as well) and re-calibrate and then look again. Rocks are super brightened by the sunlight but WITH detail not just sunlight, and now you can actually see detail inside the cave not just a black wall. Again this is just one example, but the difference in gaming is night and day and Dynamic Tonemap definitely does NOT produce what the game makers intended you to see. If all you care about is being blinded by the brightest of glosswash and unable to see in dark areas then by all means keep it on :).

·
Registered
375 Posts
Much easier than this, just turn off Tonemap for ALL settings. DONE!

Thats all HGIG does for MW, and Tonemap on is terrible for gaming from every game I have tried. IMO Tonemap off is the right way to go. a HUGE part of my eye strain with MW was due to tonemap being on by default. The lights are ABSURD. The blacks are off. Turn Tonemap off and recalibrate HDR in game and you will be in love.
I think you are confusing tonemapping with dynamic tonemapping. Tonemapping simiply maps signals outside the TV's capabilities to the TV's capabilities. Dynamic tonemapping dynamically adjusts the EOTF curve based on content, which does result in incorrectly elevated blacks for dark content.

The only ways to disable tonemapping luminance above your panel's native ability is HGIG on game mode or using the custom curves feature through Calman or Tedd's LG Template for Device Control to set the roll-off at 100% and clip everything above the panel native. Tedd actually recommends that setting, but I'm going with a roll-off starting around 600 nits for all curves (750 nits peak, 80% roll-off). I haven't actually measured or calibrated my panel, but I thought 750 would be a good approximation for what most users are reporting and gave a nice number for where to start the roll-off.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think you are confusing tonemapping with dynamic tonemapping. Tonemapping simiply maps signals outside the TV's capabilities to the TV's capabilities. Dynamic tonemapping dynamically adjusts the EOTF curve based on content, which does result in incorrectly elevated blacks for dark content.

The only ways to disable tonemapping luminance above your panel's native ability is HGIG on game mode or using the custom curves feature through Calman or Tedd's LG Template for Device Control to set the roll-off at 100% and clip everything above the panel native. Tedd actually recommends that setting, but I'm going with a roll-off starting around 600 nits for all curves (750 nits peak, 80% roll-off). I haven't actually measured or calibrated my panel, but I thought 750 would be a good approximation for what most users are reporting and gave a nice number for where to start the roll-off.

I am talking about Dynamic tonemapping, which is where you adjust HGIG etc. I will go edit my posts and add Dynamic to clarify.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am talking about Dynamic tonemapping, which s where you adjust HGIG etc, seemed like that was kind of obvious...
The two are completely different. Tone mapping is always on except for HGIG. Standard tone mapping on the accurate modes follows the EOTF curve exactly until a certain roll-off point where it compresses highlight detail to avoid clipping detail above the panel's native capabilities (70%, 60%, or 50% depending on MaxCLL).

HGIG disables the roll-off of tone mapping at follows the EOTF curve straight to 100% of the panel native peak, clipping everything in the signal above that point.

Dynamic tone mapping dynamically changes the tone mapping curve such that it does not follow the EOTF curve most of the time. I agree it should be off for all settings, particularly because it often results in raising the luminance in darker scenes.

Short story for gaming, the game engine tone maps based on the in game calibration. You don't want the TV to tone map an already tone mapped image, which is what HGIG changes.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The two are completely different. Tone mapping is always on except for HGIG. Standard tone mapping on the accurate modes follows the EOTF curve exactly until a certain roll-off point where it compresses highlight detail to avoid clipping detail above the panel's native capabilities (70%, 60%, or 50% depending on MaxCLL).

HGIG disables the roll-off of tone mapping at follows the EOTF curve straight to 100% of the panel native peak, clipping everything in the signal above that point.

Dynamic tone mapping dynamically changes the tone mapping curve such that it does not follow the EOTF curve most of the time. I agree it should be off for all settings, particularly because it often results in raising the luminance in darker scenes.

Short story for gaming, the game engine tone maps based on the in game calibration. You don't want the TV to tone map an already tone mapped image, which is what HGIG changes.
Interesting. I have compared the HGIG Setting on the Xbox One X / C9 with MW and I see no difference from Dynamic Tonemapping off. I didn't realize the differences there so thank you (tonemapping always being on that is)

Glad we agree on Dynamic off though!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Interesting. I have compared the HGIG Setting on the Xbox One X / C9 with MW and I see no difference from Dynamic Tonemapping off. I didn't realize the differences there so thank you (tonemapping always being on that is)

Glad we agree on Dynamic off though!!
All these HDR settings can get confusing quickly. We do agree that dynamic tone mapping should be off!

The difference between HGIG and dynamic tone mapping off is probably going to be fairly subtle anyway. Standard tone mapping will probably use the default curve for 4,000 nit peak which will begin roll-off of highlights at 420 nits (60% of 700 nits). The only objects that bright are small highlights. HGIG is going to be the better option for those highlights as I explained in my last post.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
All these HDR settings can get confusing quickly. We do agree that dynamic tone mapping should be off!

The difference between HGIG and dynamic tone mapping off is probably going to be fairly subtle anyway. Standard tone mapping will probably use the default curve for 4,000 nit peak which will begin roll-off of highlights at 420 nits (60% of 700 nits). The only objects that bright are small highlights. HGIG is going to be the better option for those highlights as I explained in my last post.
So HGIG is the better option when gaming

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, i do not agree. Dynamic tone mapping is the standard thing for static metadata only (with dynamic metadata there is no need in it, it should be turned off automatically). According to BT.2390 there is a dynamic tonemap curve called the Hermite EETF, which is should be used to dynamicly tonemap static metadata. Punct. If the game was not done with this in mind, well... Anyway, it supports HGIG (according to developer of that pipeline of code), which is even better. https://www.itu.int/pub/publications.aspx?lang=en&parent=R-REP-BT.2390-7-2019

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
This tv is weird when it comes to black levels when gaming. I used the Ted's brightness level portion that I have on a usb drive and plugged it into my x1x and ps4 pro and at 2.2 gamma on the tv and black level low on both systems at default 50 on the tv and notice some weird behavior. The 16 flashes as well as 17 and up flashing. I was in a pitch black room not a single light n the room. And also using PC rgb for the x1x with black level high on the tv resulted in crazy elevated blacks across 14-16 on the Ted's black level test

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well, i do not agree. Dynamic tone mapping is the standard thing for static metadata only (with dynamic metadata there is no need in it, it should be turned off automatically). According to BT.2390 there is a dynamic tonemap curve called the Hermite EETF, which is should be used to dynamicly tonemap static metadata. Punct. If the game was not done with this in mind, well... Anyway, it supports HGIG (according to developer of that pipeline of code), which is even better. https://www.itu.int/pub/publications.aspx?lang=en&parent=R-REP-BT.2390-7-2019

I don't disagree with what your saying, technically. However real worlds results are a different matter. X1X with Dynamic Tone mapping turned on is extremely inaccurate. I don't pretend do know how this all works, but what I do know is HGIG and Dynamic off look identical to my eye with MW, whereas Dynamic Mapping on looks horrendous. I found the result much the same with the other games I play (FH4, Rocket League, For honor, NFS Heat, Divison 2)

·
Registered
933 Posts
I can't speak to the C8 but the C9 is MUCH better than the C7.
I am using Clear which is a good compromise settings. There is still stutter on some pans. It is a smoother than off, so there is some SOA but not bad.

- Rich
I know I am quoting an older post, but I can say that the stutter on my C9 compared to the my B7A has been a night and day difference. I also use the Clear setting, which is pretty much a godsend in that it smooths things out without introducing soap opera effect.

Reactions: RichB

·
Registered
9 Posts

To be clear, HGIG is only relevant in supported games, correct? I ask because given the flickering issue described by ralstonm1285 on page 323, I want to know if it's safe to turn off in unsupported games. (I'd link the post but I'm still under 5 posts and not allowed.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
To be clear, HGIG is only relevant in supported games, correct? I ask because given the flickering issue described by ralstonm1285 on page 323, I want to know if it's safe to turn off in unsupported games. (I'd link the post but I'm still under 5 posts and not allowed.)
Never mind me - I'm an idiot and confused the abbreviations.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can't speak to the C8 but the C9 is MUCH better than the C7.
I am using Clear which is a good compromise settings. There is still stutter on some pans. It is a smoother than off, so there is some SOA but not bad.

- Rich
I know I am quoting an older post, but I can say that the stutter on my C9 compared to the my B7A has been a night and day difference. I also use the Clear setting, which is pretty much a godsend in that it smooths things out without introducing soap opera effect.
There’s definitely soap opera effect with the clear setting.....

·
Registered
933 Posts
There’s definitely soap opera effect with the clear setting.....
Maybe you and me define it differently, but it's not remotely close to what I define as the soap opera effect. It still feels like I am watching a film and not a soap opera. It's nowhere near what it's like if you turn the judder and smoothness all the way up. Not even close.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well i had a long internal debate and did quite a lot of reading to decide between the 65 A8G and the 65 C9.

I decided on the C9 and man i sure am happy. I upgraded from a 2018 TCL 6 series and am completely happy.

I havent had a chance to mess with it much just changed it to the ISF dark room setting and enjoyed it.

Has there been any agreed upon best settings for a media room? I guess worst case i can use RTIngs settings.

Thanks again to everyone that answered my previous question about the apps working on the C9.

Glad to be a part of the Oled club. Fallen Order looks amazing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well i had a long internal debate and did quite a lot of reading to decide between the 65 A8G and the 65 C9.

I decided on the C9 and man i sure am happy. I upgraded from a 2018 TCL 6 series and am completely happy.

I havent had a chance to mess with it much just changed it to the ISF dark room setting and enjoyed it.

Has there been any agreed upon best settings for a media room? I guess worst case i can use RTIngs settings.

Thanks again to everyone that answered my previous question about the apps working on the C9.

Same here, rocking my new C9 and not looking back. Money well spent. Somehow even Alexa works better now, I can now verbally control cable box, streaming apps along with Youtube and A/V Receiver.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts

If you want to mess up your TV use Rtings settings otherwise use ISF Dark or Bright and adjust the OLED light to accommodate your room. Remember Rtings tested their LG when they first came out. Now many firmware updates later some of those setting are no longer applicable.

12 Posts
So i have returned my C8 and got a C9 instead, i love the TV but one thing i noticed is that i have to set my brightness to 48 / 49 to get perfect blacks, that was not the case with the C8 which actually crushed blacks a bit.

I am wondering if i actually got used to crushed blacks or if my C9 panel is really brighter and needs the brightness to be lowered a bit.

What is your experience with this? Anyone else lowering their brightness settings to get perfect blacks?

9681 - 9700 of 16029 Posts