AVS Forum banner

9701 - 9720 of 16102 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
So i have returned my C8 and got a C9 instead, i love the TV but one thing i noticed is that i have to set my brightness to 48 / 49 to get perfect blacks, that was not the case with the C8 which actually crushed blacks a bit.

I am wondering if i actually got used to crushed blacks or if my C9 panel is really brighter and needs the brightness to be lowered a bit.

What is your experience with this? Anyone else lowering their brightness settings to get perfect blacks?
It depends on the panel and how its calibrated from the factory. One click +- in brightness is fine.

Reactions: JohngPR

·
Registered
66 Posts
So i have returned my C8 and got a C9 instead, i love the TV but one thing i noticed is that i have to set my brightness to 48 / 49 to get perfect blacks, that was not the case with the C8 which actually crushed blacks a bit.

I am wondering if i actually got used to crushed blacks or if my C9 panel is really brighter and needs the brightness to be lowered a bit.

What is your experience with this? Anyone else lowering their brightness settings to get perfect blacks?
Nope, I keep mine at 52 most of the time. But perfect blacks is not what I'm after, not that sensitive to it. Motion settings is what used to drive me nuts in OLED.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
It depends on the panel and how its calibrated from the factory. One click +- in brightness is fine.
Yea I've found that I have to put hdr brightness to 49 on my c9 or either it's just some content isnt mastered n true blacks. But movie credit scenes I've always thought were meant to be true black

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,588 Posts

Yea for HDR I've had to put my brightness one click down to 49 but idk if its right or if its varying content that is true black or basically not meant to be true black

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
My 77C9 was delivered yesterday. Got it on the stand today and all is good. My screen does have the plastic protection on it, but I may not peel it off immediately as I may take it downstairs. Picture is awesome out of the box........I don't see any issue so far. The sound is awesome for a tv, very loud and clear and even has a bit of bass. Likely worth every penny I paid, thank you Costco Canada for the special pricing :). It is in my bright living room right now in the daytime/with sunlight and still looks killer.

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
I have not accepted all the "agreements" to enable Channels or "voice" functions. Does that keep my microphone disabled? Is there anyway to verify my microphone is disabled?
Are you holding down the microphone button on the remote control? If not, the microphone is not enabled.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Are you holding down the microphone button on the remote control? If not, the microphone is not enabled.
Thanks... was not sure about that. But will setting up LG channels get rid of the NO SIGNAL pop up? Otherwise I will never use LG channels so....

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have the 65" c9 with most current firmware and the most recent drivers from Nvidia and am having a pretty annoying issue.

Whenever there is a near black or black majority screen (like a loading screen specifically in destiny 2 or jedi fallen order) the screen is flashing /flickering the whole time. Kinda looks like a it's freaking out on its brightness settings or something but it noticeably has this kind of strobe effect when showing these really dark screens. You don't seem to have it during game play or if you did you can't really see it with anything bright. But I know using the exact same picture settings with instant game response turned off the problem isn't there simply turn it on and keep everything else the same and it instantly happens.

Doesn't matter if it's hdr or not it always flashes like this with auto low latency turned on.

Can anyone else test these exact scenarios and tell me of its just my TV or if it's the same way on all of the TV's?

Here's a video of it happening.

https://youtu.be/xc1wyyWlFXI

Same problem here. I think I mostly got rid of it though.
Make sure that GSync is set to fullscreen only in the nVIDIA Control Panel (nVCP).
In-game, make sure fullscreen is enabled (not fake borderless window fullscreen).
I also disabled fullscreen optimizations by right-clicking the game client .exe and unchecking the setting under compatibility settings.

Other things I did include setting setting my framerate to 57 FPS via a program called RTSS and enabled VSync via the nVCP, but I am pretty sure the fullscreen stuff was the fix.

I swear I can still see it a little in super dark scenes..just not as bad. :/

·
Registered
49 Posts
C8 menu, 2019 should be similar

The options are
  • Use the images from the "Gallery" app on No Signal
  • Don't use those images on No Signal
Obviously, this is not the same thing as running the Gallery app. It's just a nice touch that the "No Signal" screen can also borrow the images from the Gallery app.
Thanks. That works, but is there any way to prevent the default galleries from showing at the "no signal" screen? I can add/ download new images, but it randomly shows any image that's in the Gallery app, and the default galleries can not be removed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I finally got my LG C9 in 77” and would like thoughts on what wall mounts everyone is using or recommends:

I would like a full motion type wall mount , where you can adjust the tilt , swivel, and extend the tv from the wall as desired - similar to this one here from Costco I was considering:

https://www.costco.com/kanto-40"---90"-full-motion-tv-mount.product.100026993.html

Are there better options out there you would recommend for my 77” LG?

I have had great experiences with the Kanto brand mounts from Costco for my Samsung’s but this being my first LG OLED, would most appreciate thoughts on any possibly better options out there.

·
Vendor
26,710 Posts
Well i had a long internal debate and did quite a lot of reading to decide between the 65 A8G and the 65 C9.
Yep that seems to be the answer, the C9 seems to be more in line with the A9G.

I finally got my LG C9 in 77” and would like thoughts on what wall mounts everyone is using or recommends:
I would like a full motion type wall mount , where you can adjust the tilt , swivel, and extend the tv from the wall as desired - similar to this one here from Costco I was considering:
The TV in my opinion would look best on a flat mount and as close as you could get to the wall. >

Here is a good articulating arm with wire management >

·
Registered
375 Posts

https://www.costco.com/kanto-40"---90"-full-motion-tv-mount.product.100026993.html

Are there better options out there you would recommend for my 77” LG?

I have had great experiences with the Kanto brand mounts from Costco for my Samsung’s but this being my first LG OLED, would most appreciate thoughts on any possibly better options out there.
That mount looks very similar to the Amazon basics articulating wall mount I have.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Now that we moved into our new house last well, I've finally been able to get at least 5.1 speakers setup and mount the TV in the media room with perfect lift control. We watched Wonder Woman tonight on the 4k disc. My wife and I noticed that in dark scenes the black bars would randomly flash bright white (particularly bad in the campfire scene). Has anyone else experienced this before? Is this the macroblocking issue that was supposed to have been fixed?

One other issue I noticed is that in uniform areas such as the sky or in the final act with lots of orangy smoke, there was a lot of noise in the image. I tried different noise reductions, but they didn't do anything to get rid of it. I noticed similar behavior with watching Mad Max in our apartment when I first got the TV that the sky seemed to have heavy noise while the rest of the image was crisp. At the time I thought it was probably a creative decision trying to create a film grain effect for the background. Now I'm guessing what could be going on there. Does anyone have potential insight?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Question for everyone. Is anyone having issues with LG Channels at the moment?

I'm getting the error code "hmm, I can't access the LG channels lineup at the moment. (9819)".

I have activated LG channels in the channel settings tab.

Also, no LG channels are showing on my channel guide.

I'm rather flummoxed. Anyone else not getting this working at the moment?
I've been able to check it on mine now. Mine is behaving just as you're describing both last night and tonight. No LG Channels.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Horizontal blurry/fuzzy picture with Lg smart app like youtube, plex.

I initially discover this on my 65" C8. Bought a 77" C9 and same issue. Anyone notice this same jaggy line and softening of picture quality. There is some sort of horizon blurry line on edge of face, shirt with any video 720p, 1080p or youtube. This only happen when playing youtube and via LG default media player thru usb and via plex which use the LG native support to playback video. The line seem like it have something to do with red, like red edge on spiderman suit. At first I thought it was the video setting, changing everything from motion, noise setting to super resolution does nothing. But I test the same video with native playback on ps4, chromecast, firestick. The picture edge are perfectly smooth. So I narrow it down to the native internal support of Lg video processing for vp9 which youtube use and h264. I don't notice it on native playback of 4k Hevc h265.

The spider-man chest picture was taken from spider-man into the spiderverse at the 1 hour 25min and 40sec mark. where they are disguise as waitress. I did test the movie on LG netflix app. It show perfectly just like chromecast/firestick. Another scene is spiderman far from home at the 31 minute and 7 second mark when spiderman meets beck. So far the only solution is to watch on my firestick which suck because the lg app runs better.

For the first picture, look at the neck area between the shadow and chin. The second picture I attach below with spiderman show the smooth side on left and the fuzzy side to right. I drew a green line of what the edge between black and red look to me on each side. To me it look like soft scans line when watching video. The picture of the guys mouth. You can clearly see how Lg video processing seem to blur the mustache. All picture processing such as noise is off.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,220 Posts
Thanks. That works, but is there any way to prevent the default galleries from showing at the "no signal" screen? I can add/ download new images, but it randomly shows any image that's in the Gallery app, and the default galleries can not be removed.
No, those are the only options. If you want to just leave the TV showing your selection of images, then do the following. Instead of waiting for the "no signal" (ERROR) screen, you should actually run the Gallery app - because that's what it's for! - and select your selection of images, optional music or silence, etc.

Or just tune in one channel, so that you don't get the "no signal" error.

Or turn the option off, so that you just get the black screen.

It's not as flexible as you might like but it's a hell of a lot more flexible than other manufacturer's TVs :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you want to mess up your TV use Rtings settings otherwise use ISF Dark or Bright and adjust the OLED light to accommodate your room. Remember Rtings tested their LG when they first came out. Now many firmware updates later some of those setting are no longer applicable.
Do you have any recommended settings for an out of the box C9 with latest firmware for SDR/HDR and DV? If for one prefer the Warm1 setting in Cinema and Technicolor mode to the Warm2 setting rtings used which in my opinion makes the picture a bit too brownish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings,

I know that this thread is probably a bit biased but I know that people here have very good knowledge of the current TV technologies.
I'm planning to buy a new TV during Black Friday and cannot really decide between OLED and LED.

The TV will be placed in the living room, with ~2.2m viewing distance. Its possible to control the light of the living room.
I already have a projector with a 120 inch screen in another room, which is mainly for viewing Movies.
The TV will mainly be used for PC-Games, TV and Sports (2 Games of Soccer per Week), it will be the only device with a TV-Cable connection in my house.
My Desktop-Computer will be attached to the TV, which is why I plan to play PC-Games on it.
My girlfriend will probably use it for Netflix as well, so Movie capability is important too.

After some research, I pinned the following Models:
65 inch Sony X900F (which I could currently get for 900€)
55 inch LG C9
65 inch LG B8

The C9 would be great because of its picture quality and HDMI 2.1 spec (Variable Frame Rate for my Desktop).
The B8 and X900F only have HDMI 2.0, which is a bummer. That means, no option for [email protected] Hz in the future.

However, the C9 will be 10 inches smaller and I am concerned for Screen Burn-in with Game-HUD's and Sport-Banners.
It would be my top pick, but these arguments make me hesitate.

900€ for the X900F is an amazing deal and it does have a good contrast-ratio of 5000:1 (amazing for an LCD).
However, I feel like I probably would never really appreciate that TV, thinking that OLED would provide even better picture quality.

Maybe someone can help me out...

9701 - 9720 of 16102 Posts