AVS Forum banner

9801 - 9820 of 16029 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
One of the best TV;'s you can buy, uniformity issues overall are better this year with the new screen design. Burn in can happen, but it is rare......
I have the same questions as the other user Rall. Looking to buy LG C9 77. Bought my first 4k HDR 65inch Samsung TV in 2015 and have been patiently waiting to buy an oled. It's an expensive purchase and want to make the right decision. The talk about banding, especially white looking yellow is concerning. I also heard some YouTubers talking about this white looking yellow in the TV shootout. Sony A9G I believe came out as winner. Are everyone owning a C9 especially the 77inch version happy with their purchase? Planning to use it mainly for movies. Appreciate any input.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
I cant seem to find the feature that subtly moves logos around to avoid burn-in in all the settings...Can someone point me to it in the C9 Settings?

Thank you,
Scott
It's in the advanced picture settings somewhere, but it doesn't avoid burn in all it does is make it so that your burn in would be more of a blob than a crisp logo.

There's a better feature that tries to detect static images and dim that part of the screen to reduce burn in.

Bottom line is if you repeat the same content on the TV for an extended period of time you WILL get burn in even with those features. OLED burn in is cumulative effect from uneven wear, so if you put 2,000 hours on the TV and 1500 of those hours are CNN the TV will get burned... although you probably won't usually see it since it's assumed you watch CNN all the damn time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i have the 55 played sea of thieves in hdr no rdr 2 yet,
but that looks like it would show up anywhere and be very obvious on a static colors use this https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NN1GPN70NF3 and cycle through the colors with the up and down keys once you get to the rgb slides.
That explains it. the 55 inch ones are over all much better in terms of banding. My old 55 b6 was pretty much perfect in that regard. Kinda wish I went for a 55 inch again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i don't have any banding like that.
and just an fyi im like 99% sure you will lose g-sync when those adapters come out i don't think they will be doing on the fly conversion of displayport adaptive-sync to hdmi vrr but i could be wrong.
What is the problem? There are "dp to hdmi for VR" adapter from AMD which pass adaptive sync through. The same will be about VRR 2.1))

·
Registered
56 Posts
What is the problem? There are "dp to hdmi for VR" adapter from AMD which pass adaptive sync through. The same will be about VRR 2.1))
I don't think adaptive sync or in this context freesync is exactly the same as HDMI vrr I have only seen one person say that they had a amd gpu working with the c9s HDMI vrr with an HDMI cable. I'm guessing those headsets are freesync over hdmi then correct? Not HDMI vrr

·
Vendor
26,611 Posts
You get no warranty from LG from unauthorized sellers. It's kinda bs but you should get one from an authorized seller other wise if anything goes wrong after 30 days you are out of luck.
That is not correct. We have the www.ftc.gov here in the US who regulate warranties in America, notice right on the top of the page, protecting American consumers. if you have a valid receipt, with a rolling invoice number you warranty is valid whether LG likes it or not.

This question has been asked numerous times, and I have read a number of differing opinions. I am not here to foster controversy, and I am sure there are individuals who have both positive and negative experiences associated with purchases from authorized, and non-authorized dealers. The question seems to center around the necessity to purchase from an authorized dealer to be eligible for warranty protection. I have not read the latest (2019) LG warranty covering their television products. When I purchased a LG 2017 65" OLED, I could not find a requirement limiting warranty coverage to purchases from an authorized dealer.

There is a Federal Law, The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, that clearly describes a manufactures requirement to describe the conditions which must be followed to obtain warranty service. I have provided a link to the act for your review, which will allow you to draw your own conclusions. If there are any attorneys on the forum, it would be interesting to get their opinions.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&SID=80e6fdfbcdc5239a06ce86a15fd34cf9&ty=HTML&h=L&r=PART&n=pt16.1.700
You ever have warranty issues call the FTC.......

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't think adaptive sync or in this context freesync is exactly the same as HDMI vrr I have only seen one person say that they had a amd gpu working with the c9s HDMI vrr with an HDMI cable. I'm guessing those headsets are freesync over hdmi then correct? Not HDMI vrr
That is what I said. HDMI AMD Adaptive sync extension worked from DP open Adaptive-Sync, so why HDMI 2.1 VRR would not work when they make that?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I cant seem to find the feature that subtly moves logos around to avoid burn-in in all the settings...Can someone point me to it in the C9 Settings?

Thank you,
Scott
It's in the advanced picture settings somewhere, but it doesn't avoid burn in all it does is make it so that your burn in would be more of a blob than a crisp logo.

There's a better feature that tries to detect static images and dim that part of the screen to reduce burn in.

Bottom line is if you repeat the same content on the TV for an extended period of time you WILL get burn in even with those features. OLED burn in is cumulative effect from uneven wear, so if you put 2,000 hours on the TV and 1500 of those hours are CNN the TV will get burned... although you probably won't usually see it since it's assumed you watch CNN all the damn time.
You really shouldn’t make up numbers like that. I got 2500 hours on my set. Half of those are Fortnite. I see no signs of burned-in HUDs or health bars.

The TV is pretty good at avoiding burn-in. A lot better than people give it credit for. This burn-in fear is overblown and most of the reports I see online are from the early OLED models like around 2016 with users running their sets on torch mode.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have a problem with Instant Game Response Triggering randomly on PC. It's keeping me from being able to use picture settings like OLED Motion (user) for BFI. If I disable Instant Game Response, I get black screen on my PC until I turn it back on.

This is a problem.

I can trigger it just by setting a youtube video to fullscreen.

edit: Had to disable custom screen overclocks and reset CRU so whenever I turned off Instant Game Response, it wouldn't black screen to death. So at least for now, I can just have IGR/ALLM disabled. I won't need it until we get 4K/120hz capabilities anyways. I much prefer having bfi with OLED motion User.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I think you have conflated these two separate options, into a 3rd, which doesn't actually exist :)

1. Picture -> OLED Panel settings -> Screen Shift = screen moves a few pixels around at regular intervals
2. Picture -> OLED Panel settings -> Logo Luminance Adjustment = dims a blobby area of the screen where it thinks there is static content, such as a logo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Very quick question. When hooking my my gaming laptop to my C9, (playing 1080p 70/80fps GTA V), should I set my dynamic range on the nvidia control panel to full or limited RGB range?

I am playing on game mode on the TV, not PC mode.

Additionally what do you all recommend in regards to RGB, ycbcr444 or ycbcr422 choice?

To confirm GTA is not HDR. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Anyone?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I think you have conflated these two separate options, into a 3rd, which doesn't actually exist :)

1. Picture -> OLED Panel settings -> Screen Shift = screen moves a few pixels around at regular intervals
2. Picture -> OLED Panel settings -> Logo Luminance Adjustment = dims a blobby area of the screen where it thinks there is static content, such as a logo.

Thanks guys. I did find those adjustments in the Additional Settings sub menu. I did have Screen Shift ON and Logo Luminance set to HIGH. So I guess I'm protected.

And to allay any fears of CNN Addiction, this only popped up during last week's Impeachment Hearings; I wouldnt be caught dead watching excessive amounts of CNN. :)

Thank you again,
Scott

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Attached here is my 100% white uniformity slide. I definitely want to return it but just trying to see if I should exchange for another 65 c9, 65 b9, or 65 e9. If the b9 or the e9 do not have this tinting issue, I may be better off returning and buying one of those instead of getting more c9s with the tinting issue.
I have a C9 with no tinting and moderate low level banding only seen on slides or a few app loading screens. In content, it's not seen, including watching the Mandalorian with many low grey starfields because the stars break up any uniformity issues. In the end, all OLED TVs in the US come from the same factory in South Korea. There's a new factory started up a couple months ago in China, but with tariffs, those are probably being sold mostly in other countries, particularly China itself.
I'm glad to hear you have a great set! We are ordering another 65" c9 and going to compare it to this terrible one when it comes. I'll update this thread once we receive the new 65c9! Thanks for your input! Hopefully we don't get one made in China!

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
You really shouldn’t make up numbers like that. I got 2500 hours on my set. Half of those are Fortnite. I see no signs of burned-in HUDs or health bars.

The TV is pretty good at avoiding burn-in. A lot better than people give it credit for. This burn-in fear is overblown and most of the reports I see online are from the early OLED models like around 2016 with users running their sets on torch mode.
I didn't make anything up other than # of hours... Ratings tests show that burn in DOES happen.... I'm sure newest gen panels will be the most burn in resistant yet but the bottom line is it does happen. Your set might have mild burn in that doesn't affect regular viewing and that's fine too.

I would say that people who are realistic about burn in risks (me) are no worse than those who insist that you can use the TV however you like and don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If anyone have the time/energy, could you guys check Stranger Things S3E5 time stamp 7:49 until the intro starts. With brightness at 50 the darker parts have a dark grey tone while on my C8(and my Samsung S10 and Tab S3 which both have oled displays) the dark parts look darker and nicer. Just curious if the black levels look a bit elevated to you as well or if there is some panel variance.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You get no warranty from LG from unauthorized sellers. It's kinda bs but you should get one from an authorized seller other wise if anything goes wrong after 30 days you are out of luck.
That is not correct. We have the www.ftc.gov here in the US who regulate warranties in America, notice right on the top of the page, protecting American consumers. if you have a valid receipt, with a rolling invoice number you warranty is valid whether LG likes it or not.

This question has been asked numerous times, and I have read a number of differing opinions. I am not here to foster controversy, and I am sure there are individuals who have both positive and negative experiences associated with purchases from authorized, and non-authorized dealers. The question seems to center around the necessity to purchase from an authorized dealer to be eligible for warranty protection. I have not read the latest (2019) LG warranty covering their television products. When I purchased a LG 2017 65" OLED, I could not find a requirement limiting warranty coverage to purchases from an authorized dealer.

There is a Federal Law, The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, that clearly describes a manufactures requirement to describe the conditions which must be followed to obtain warranty service. I have provided a link to the act for your review, which will allow you to draw your own conclusions. If there are any attorneys on the forum, it would be interesting to get their opinions.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&SID=80e6fdfbcdc5239a06ce86a15fd34cf9&ty=HTML&h=L&r=PART&n=pt16.1.700
You ever have warranty issues call the FTC.......
So in your opinion, buying from a non authorized dealer should be the same experience as an authorized?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Because I and a few others have already mentioned this as well a few pages back. VRR/Adaptive Sync already doesn't work with current DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 adapter.
Don't complain to me, go ahead, tell it straight to Nvidia that AMD can do this method. So why can't they. I am just here to confirm that VRR will not passthrough via this route.
I too would have loved for this method to work in time for when a true DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter comes out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Lg c9

Hello All,

Today I trigger pull for LG C9, I have quick question? LG C9 has auto tuner, I mean with out HD antenna can we get free HD air channels?

·
Registered
257 Posts
i don't have any banding like that.
and just an fyi im like 99% sure you will lose g-sync when those adapters come out i don't think they will be doing on the fly conversion of displayport adaptive-sync to hdmi vrr but i could be wrong.
Why do you think you will lose G-Sync? Isn't it just a digital signal being transported?

·
Vendor
26,611 Posts
So in your opinion, buying from a non authorized dealer should be the same experience as an authorized?
Never said that, I said the warranty would be honored in the end......You have to check reviews on every company out there and decide for yourself.

9801 - 9820 of 16029 Posts