AVS Forum banner

9821 - 9840 of 16054 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Is Yamaha 7850 confirmed to have working eARC with C 9 ??

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
1. Picture -> OLED Panel settings -> Screen Shift = screen moves a few pixels around at regular intervals
It actually moves the entire image a few pixels left, right, up, down or diagonally on the screen. The changes between positions occur when the screen goes black for a scene change or advertisement, so they are almost undetectable. There will be a few dark lines of pixels along one or two sides of the image while there will be an equal number of pixels cropped from the opposite side(s) except for those occasions when the image is shifted back to its normal position, which does happen from time to time. I only notice it if I look for it.

·
Vendor
26,657 Posts
I have the same questions as the other user Rall. Looking to buy LG C9 77. Bought my first 4k HDR 65inch Samsung TV in 2015 and have been patiently waiting to buy an oled. It's an expensive purchase and want to make the right decision. The talk about banding, especially white looking yellow is concerning. I also heard some YouTubers talking about this white looking yellow in the TV shootout. Sony A9G I believe came out as winner. Are everyone owning a C9 especially the 77inch version happy with their purchase? Planning to use it mainly for movies. Appreciate any input.
If you read thru this thread there are many, many user in here of the C9, very few complaints. Most Sony guys really like there Sony OLED 's ;) There are even a few Sony user's that prefer there LG's though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I really have trouble with the C9. I really didn’t have problems with my C7. But since the C9 the screen reflection annoys me. I try not to notice it but now i am looking at it while having breakfast. Damn that thing is like a mirror. Yesterday i saw a philips oled in the shop next to an lg. Difference in reflection was night and day. The whites on the philips where really bad but the screen was more comfortable too look at. Damn you lg. Why isn’t there a proper anti reflection coating on this thing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Does the C9 support Dolby Digital plus from its integrated Apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime etc) via ARC (not eARC)? I recently bought a HDMI HD-Audio Extractor with Support for ARC in order to get audio from its internal apps to my AVR (Onkyo TX-NR 1007 which supports DD+, but not Atmos). Whenever I watch something via the internal Apps of the LG I only get DD 5.1, not DD+. When I watch from my nvidia Shield through its Netflix App I get DD+ no problem.

I'm trying to figure out if it's a limitation of the Audio Extractor (and maybe I didn't configure it correctly) or the LG.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I really have trouble with the C9. I really didn’t have problems with my C7. But since the C9 the screen reflection annoys me. I try not to notice it but now i am looking at it while having breakfast. Damn that thing is like a mirror. Yesterday i saw a philips oled in the shop next to an lg. Difference in reflection was night and day. The whites on the philips where really bad but the screen was more comfortable too look at. Damn you lg. Why isn’t there a proper anti reflection coating on this thing.
Damn! Have you considered replacing the mirrors in your home with C9's? :D I'm close to pulling the trigger on this TV......

·
Registered
229 Posts
Does the C9 support Dolby Digital plus from its integrated Apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime etc) via ARC (not eARC)? I recently bought a HDMI HD-Audio Extractor with Support for ARC in order to get audio from its internal apps to my AVR (Onkyo TX-NR 1007 which supports DD+, but not Atmos). Whenever I watch something via the internal Apps of the LG I only get DD 5.1, not DD+. When I watch from my nvidia Shield through its Netflix App I get DD+ no problem.

I'm trying to figure out if it's a limitation of the Audio Extractor (and maybe I didn't configure it correctly) or the LG.
I don't even use an extractor. Just directly plugged mine to the receiver via HDMI port 2. Most of the apps still use ARC and not eARC. And yes, that means I get DD+ Lossy Atmos via this method to my receiver. So something is not quite right with your setup.

For one, the audio extractor extracts straight from the output source. ARC/eARC is using a different channel. Maybe that's why? Like the extractor is not able to fully leverage the other channel? Else, it should work as intended.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't even use an extractor. Just directly plugged mine to the receiver via HDMI port 2. Most of the apps still use ARC and not eARC. And yes, that means I get DD+ Lossy Atmos via this method to my receiver. So something is not quite right with your setup.

For one, the audio extractor extracts straight from the output source. ARC/eARC is using a different channel. Maybe that's why? Like the extractor is not able to fully leverage the other channel? Else, it should work as intended.
My AVR doesn't support ARC, as it is an HDMI 1.3 AVR. It still supports all audio formats including DD+ except for Atmos and DTS:X metadata. That's why I was hoping to extract DD+ from the LG via said audio extractor through its ARC channel. It passes on DD5.1 from the LG's ARC HDMI Port just fine to my AVR, but not DD+. I've already contacted the distributer but they said DD+ is somehow tied to CEC and thus cannot be passed down the extractor to my AVR. Not that big a a deal as DD+ and DD5.1 should not make much of a difference. The other reason I bought the extractor for, extracting HD Audio from my nvidia shield and delivering it to my AVR works though. For anyone that's interested it's the German version of this ViewHD UHD 18G HDMI Audio Extractor

·
Registered
96 Posts
My AVR doesn't support ARC, as it is an HDMI 1.3 AVR. It still supports all audio formats including DD+ except for Atmos and DTS:X metadata. That's why I was hoping to extract DD+ from the LG via said audio extractor through its ARC channel. It passes on DD5.1 from the LG's ARC HDMI Port just fine to my AVR, but not DD+. I've already contacted the distributer but they said DD+ is somehow tied to CEC and thus cannot be passed down the extractor to my AVR. Not that big a a deal as DD+ and DD5.1 should not make much of a difference. The other reason I bought the extractor for, extracting HD Audio from my nvidia shield and delivering it to my AVR works though. For anyone that's interested it's the German version of this ViewHD UHD 18G HDMI Audio Extractor
Siran77, I am in the same boat as yourself.

I am trying to feed audio from the C9's ARC output to my HDMI 1.3 receiver (Anthem D2) with the expectation I will be able to move from DD to HD. I would like to benefit from the HD audio from both the C9's apps (Netflix etc) and passthrough from my blu-ray player and nVidia Shield.

I used to have both the blu-ray player and Shield plugged directly into the D2 but I like the simplified setup of using the C9 as the switch. i.e. everything plugged in to the C9.

The D2 does not have ARC capability so audio from the C9's HDMI 2 (ARC) port into the D2 is not possible (at least to my understanding and confirmed with limited testing). The C9's optical output works feeding audio into the D2, however going from HD audio to DD's 640kbps 5.1 sound is quite a step backqwards.

So, I am buying a OREI 4K 60Hz 18G HDMI 2.0 Audio Converter Extractor (HDA-925) on the expectation I will be able to feed HD audio from the C9 ARC output into the D2. The OREI has ARC capability. I also emailed sales support and they confirmed that their product will work in the setup I plan to use it in.

The ViewHD unit you purchased should work as it has the same functionality as the OREI, and another user posted that the ViewHD worked for him in a similar/same context that you and I are in.

I searched for eARC audio extractors but could not find any. The HDFury 4K Vertex² 18Gbps unit might help in this regard, but I don't want to spend $399 for an interim solution until LG gets its act together and enables full HD audio via the eARC port. At that time I have 2 options: 1) buy an HDMI 2.1 eARC audio extractor to feed into my D2, or 2) replace the D2 with an eARC capable processor.

I am hoping I don't run in to the same problems that you are experiencing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would say my only complaint so far with my new C9 is its inferior optical audio out compared to my TCL 6 series i upgraded from.

Picture quality wise its a massive upgrade so I am completely happy.

I just have to get accustomed to letting my receiver do the mixing.

My wife and Son were also immediately able to see the difference in PQ. I played them about 5 minutes of "our planet" in dolby vision and they were sold.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Siran77, I am in the same boat as yourself.

I am trying to feed audio from the C9's ARC output to my HDMI 1.3 receiver (Anthem D2) with the expectation I will be able to move from DD to HD. I would like to benefit from the HD audio from both the C9's apps (Netflix etc) and passthrough from my blu-ray player and nVidia Shield.

I used to have both the blu-ray player and Shield plugged directly into the D2 but I like the simplified setup of using the C9 as the switch. i.e. everything plugged in to the C9.

The D2 does not have ARC capability so audio from the C9's HDMI 2 (ARC) port into the D2 is not possible (at least to my understanding and confirmed with limited testing). The C9's optical output works feeding audio into the D2, however going from HD audio to DD's 640kbps 5.1 sound is quite a step backqwards.

So, I am buying a OREI 4K 60Hz 18G HDMI 2.0 Audio Converter Extractor (HDA-925) on the expectation I will be able to feed HD audio from the C9 ARC output into the D2. The OREI has ARC capability. I also emailed sales support and they confirmed that their product will work in the setup I plan to use it in.

The ViewHD unit you purchased should work as it has the same functionality as the OREI, and another user posted that the ViewHD worked for him in a similar/same context that you and I are in.

I searched for eARC audio extractors but could not find any. The HDFury 4K Vertex² 18Gbps unit might help in this regard, but I don't want to spend $399 for an interim solution until LG gets its act together and enables full HD audio via the eARC port. At that time I have 2 options: 1) buy an HDMI 2.1 eARC audio extractor to feed into my D2, or 2) replace the D2 with an eARC capable processor.

I am hoping I don't run in to the same problems that you are experiencing.
Keep in mind, those are ARC extractors, you will not get any kind of HD audio through their ARC connection as HD audio is not transported via ARC, also the LG internal apps are limited to DD+ max - no Streaming service offers HD audio as of right now and the internal media player of the C9 will also only play lossless audio, no HD audio. Currently my extractor lets me use HD Audio from the HDMI In source via HDMI Out 2 (The audio only port, connected to my Onkyo 1007), this is how I have set up my nvidia Shield and it works flawlessly. ARC via HDMI Out 1 (LG C9) to HDMI Out 2 (audio only, Onkyo 1007) only works with DD5.1, not DD+. I just tried hooking up the nvidia Shield directly to the C9 instead of the Extractor and in order to get its DD+ this way through the LG's ARC, but as soon as the C9 comes into the mix, I am limited to DD5.1.

The Audio extractor you linked seems to be the exact same as mine just with a different printing on the casing, apparently they all buy those from the same manufacturer and label them differently. In order for you to get HD audio from the Shield and Blu-Ray Player you either have to plug the Shield or the Blu-Ray player directly into the OREI via HDMI In, plug the LG into HDMI Out 1 and your Anthem into HDMI Out 2. If you want to use the the other player you'll have to switch them at the HDMI In. Do you by any chance have a Blu-Ray player with a separate HDMI audio out? To my knowledge, most 4K Blu-Ray players have two HDMI ports. This way you could connect your Blu-Ray Player via its HDMI Out 2 directl to your ARCAM and HDMI Out 1 of the player into the LG and only use the OREI for the nvidia Shield (Shield into HDMI In, LG into HDMI Out 1, ARCAM into HDMI Out 2). If you need more than one HDMI In you might consider something like this 4x1 plus HDMI Audio splitter

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Does the C9 support Dolby Digital plus from its integrated Apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime etc) via ARC (not eARC)?
Yes. It definitely does.

I recently bought a HDMI HD-Audio Extractor with Support for ARC in order to get audio from its internal apps to my AVR (Onkyo TX-NR 1007 which supports DD+, but not Atmos). Whenever I watch something via the internal Apps of the LG I only get DD 5.1, not DD+. When I watch from my nvidia Shield through its Netflix App I get DD+ no problem.

First you need to find out what EDID information the Audio Extractor is presenting to the TV. If the Audio Extractor isn't telling the TV that it explicitly supports DD+, then the TV will never output it in the first place.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes. It definitely does.

First you need to find out what EDID information the Audio Extractor is presenting to the TV. If the Audio Extractor isn't telling the TV that it explicitly supports DD+, then the TV will never output it in the first place.
Thanks for the reply! According to the manual (page 6), the 7.1 EDID setting is supposed to show it does support DD+, but apparently there's more at play here as I cannot get DD+ to work, regardless of the EDID setting. Might be the EDID setting only works for the HDMI In, not the HDMI Out 1 (ARC) port.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Thanks for the reply! According to the manual (page 6), the 7.1 EDID setting is supposed to show it does support DD+, but apparently there's more at play here as I cannot get DD+ to work, regardless of the EDID setting. Might be the EDID setting only works for the HDMI In, not the HDMI Out 1 (ARC) port.
Hmm. Thanks for posting the link, but I have more bad news sorry.

Bottom of page 5:

ARC (Audio Return Channel)
Turn on ARC to output the sound from the TV. This is convenient if you are using the internal receiver or an app of the Smart TV. The TV must support ARC. This function is only available on one HDMI port of the TV and must be activated there.
[that's HDMI 2 on the LG TV. From their diagram you must connect LG HDMI 2 to the device's "HDMI out 1 (ARC)" port]

The TV sound is available as digital stereo or 5.1 sound at the optical digital output and HDMI out 2 (not analog). ARC will turn off after a short time if no sound is delivered via ARC.
Note: digital stereo or 5.1 sound at the optical digital output and HDMI out 2".

Neither of those is DD+ carrying atmos.
DD+ carrying 5.1 seems to be the max.

Keep in mind, those are ARC extractors, you will not get any kind of HD audio through their ARC connection as HD audio is not transported via ARC, also the LG internal apps are limited to DD+ max - no Streaming service offers HD audio as of right now
That's no problem at all. He is only asking for DD+ carrying full lossy Atmos as is available on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc and many other internal apps. He didn't mention lossless audio once.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hmm. Thanks for posting the link, but I have more bad news sorry.

Bottom of page 5:
[that's HDMI 2 on the LG TV. From their diagram you must connect LG HDMI 2 to the device's "HDMI out 1 (ARC)" port]
That's exactly how I did it

Note: digital stereo or 5.1 sound at the optical digital output and HDMI out 2".

Neither of those is DD+ carrying atmos.
DD+ carrying 5.1 seems to be the max.
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear enough - my AVR doesn't support Atmos, neither through DD+ nor TrueHD. I was only interested in DD+ which my AVR supports (and can play from a directly connected nvidia Shield) and supposedly the ARC extractor.

That's no problem at all. He is only asking for DD+ carrying full lossy Atmos as is available on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc and many other internal apps. He didn't mention lossless audio once.
I assumed "I am trying to feed audio from the C9's ARC output to my HDMI 1.3 receiver (Anthem D2) with the expectation I will be able to move from DD to HD. I would like to benefit from the HD audio from both the C9's apps (Netflix etc) and passthrough from my blu-ray player and nVidia Shield" meant lossless audio via ARC. Otherwise the sentence doesn't make sense - dd+, especialy from streaming services, is far from being HD audio and passthrough of Blu-Ray player and nVidia Shield is mostly lossless audio as well - provided you play Blu-Rays and ripped Blu-Rays via the Blu-Ray player and Shield respectively. He clearly stated using ARC for both, which is way I made my statement that HD Audio will not be possible this way and only via connecting one source to HDMI In. He also keeps repeating switching from DD to HD Audio which can only mean lossless in this context as a step from DD to DD+ (which many Blu-Rays won't even have) isn't worth all that trouble. Plus, his Anthem D2 doesn't support Atmos, same as my AVR.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I finally ordered my LG C9 77’’ and would appreciate everyone’s feedback on what soundbar you are using with your LG, any pros/cons etc? I want to maximize the TV’s benefits by purchasing a “best” soundbar for it. This complete entertainment setup would be going into my open space living room which flows as one continuous area from my kitchen.

So far I was looking at the Samsung HW-Q90R or Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 soundbars. Anyone using either of these with your C9’s?

I mainly watch movies, live sports, and tv in that order. Will be streaming via the TV’s apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime; hoping that Dolby and Atmos can be converted over to the soundbar using these streaming services..

Many thanks for all your feedback forum friends and experts..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does anyone know exactly how the pixel refresher scheduling works? I know I've read that it kicks in for a 10min cycle after every 4hrs of powered-on state but what if you run the TV for 8 or more hours in one sitting? Will it run a longer and/or 'double' cycle in those cases or is it a static default single 10min every time?

·
Registered
109 Posts
10 minutes no matter how long you run it for

Sent fra min VOG-L29 via Tapatalk

Interesting; where did you find the info? In that case it may be worth power-cycling the TV every 4hrs or so when I go beyond 4hrs usage in a day (in order to engage a pixel-refresh-cycle) -- really trying to baby this thing as much as I can.

9821 - 9840 of 16054 Posts