AVS Forum banner

9881 - 9900 of 16053 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
So, after owning the C9 for two months now, it will be calibrated by a professional next weekend. He had a Klein meter and Calman ultimate. Which calibration option is better to gain the absolute best picture quality? Manual or Autocal?
LightSpace to generate 3D Lut for SDR.

Calibrating HDR doesn't really work since the panels are so unstable. You can do some basic things like Autocal does or manually but you cannot benefit from a full 3d lut with HDR unfortunately.

Check out the threads in the calibration subforum.

·
Registered
733 Posts
HDR effect. How do I get out of HDR effect picture mode?? For some reason that happened recently I am stuck in that picture mode. Have C9 65” since April and all was fine (been using expert bright room). Now, o can’t access it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great info and more proof. Can you add a post to the LG forum thread on it?
Hey - not sure if you've tried this but actually made more progress today. over on the doom9 madvr thread people kept on talking about "HDMI mode" and I didnt really understand what they were talking about. I figured I'd mess with the labeling settings because that's how you force some of the things for PC mode. By setting the icon and label to just the default "HDMI 1" and icon connector it vastly changed the gradient appearance for the better. (the fact that this is not toggleable via an explicit setting and is triggered based on a poorly documented freeform text field is an abomination)

I'm still outputting the same signal from the HTPC in 24p/12bpc. BR2049 now works nearly flawlessly in that ending scene. the opening of Blue Planet is vastly improved (only the nearly invisible outer fringe of the sunburst has a harder edge between shades). Other scenes with bad posterization I cross checked on the other display and it seems like the problems are in the bluray encoding or upstream from the TV.

It looks like I've caught up to everyone else and am now on to tuning nearly imperceptible audio sync issues entirely fixable in SW and futzing with MadVR upscaling until my eyes bleed.

·
Vendor
26,645 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
By setting the icon and label to just the default "HDMI 1" and icon connector it vastly changed the gradient appearance for the better. (the fact that this is not toggleable via an explicit setting and is triggered based on a poorly documented freeform text field is an abomination)
The text is irrelevant. It’s the icon that matters. PC icon is PC mode and every other icon is not PC mode.

PC mode lets it display 4:4:4 properly but has very noticeable banding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm on PC mode but I don't notice any banding... Can you please explain how to experience this issue?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Have you tried just setting the audio to PCM? You'll only get stereo but wondering if the sync issues are gone then?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I have yes. Unfortunately it doesn't help. In PCM the audio is before the video (with all video processing off).

Have you gone into the tv audio settings and set the Arc/earc audio to pass through

LG C9, C8, C6 w/Pioneer SC-LX502 AVR, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Nintendo Switch

Unfortunately yes, I tried PCM and Bypass. I have tried every possible combination of audio settings both on the TV and soundbar with no luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How long on average it takes to develop burn-in on this TV? My wife watches a lot of TV programs with logo in upper corners so I am worried it will burn-in soon, I have plasma that developed burn in from this...

·
Registered
392 Posts
So, after owning the C9 for two months now, it will be calibrated by a professional next weekend. He had a Klein meter and Calman ultimate. Which calibration option is better to gain the absolute best picture quality? Manual or Autocal?
Hi - I think this is a matter of personal preference by the calibrator. I had a very experienced UK calibrator calibrate my C9 and I am very happy with the results. If you are calibrating your TV there is a great podcast on calibration by the UK AV forums site that I would definitely listen to - it gives you some great hints/tips on what to ask your calibrator - George

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hi - I think this is a matter of personal preference by the calibrator. I had a very experienced UK calibrator calibrate my C9 and I am very happy with the results. If you are calibrating your TV there is a great podcast on calibration by the UK AV forums site that I would definitely listen to - it gives you some great hints/tips on what to ask your calibrator - George

Hi, thank you for the tip. Is it possible for you to send me the link to that particular podcast? I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Every professional calibrator has their own special process so I would let your calibrator do what he or she feels will give the best result. The problem with the LG is the CMS can have a lot of errors which can't be corrected with the manual controls so you really want to re-create the 3D LUT in order to minimize these errors. Without going into which software is better, pros/cons etc, Light Space and CalMAN can be used to do this. Just let the calibrator you hired do their "thing" and I'm sure you will be happy with the results.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Reactions: jrref

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
How long on average it takes to develop burn-in on this TV? My wife watches a lot of TV programs with logo in upper corners so I am worried it will burn-in soon, I have plasma that developed burn in from this...
Ensuring that the OLED setting is not too high helps lower the risk of BI tremendously.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I find it odd that nothing can beat the brightness of my 65B7 full field white screen. Just did a comparison to my C9 and I could see a huge difference. Although in regular SDR content you can clearly see that the C9 excels in brightness. If the C9 is brighter with content than the B7 then why is full field white dimmer? Panel variance? More aggressive ABL when going past a certain amount of the screen being white?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Trying to pull the trigger on the 2019 LG oled C9 but have been reading concerns about burn in and screen judder and stutter when watching movies? Has any current C9 owner experienced any of this? I currently have a Pioneer Kuro 9g Pro 101fd so will this tv be able to match or surpass the kuro?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The text is irrelevant. It’s the icon that matters. PC icon is PC mode and every other icon is not PC mode.

PC mode lets it display 4:4:4 properly but has very noticeable banding.
Are there any definitive settings for PC Gaming? There are so many options on both the TV and the PC that it is making my head spin.

1. First we have to deal with both SDR and HDR. Should HDR be enabled in the Windows Control Panel? I've noticed some games automatically send HDR even when it is disabled in Windows.

2a. Then we have the Nvidia Control Panel. Should we be outputting RGB or YCbCr 444 or 422? 2b. Should Dynamic Range be Limited or Full? And same question for both SDR and HDR.

3a. Then in the TV should we be using the PC Mode icon? 3b. And what should the Black Level setting be? 3c. And also should the Color Gamut be Wide or Extended?

I know this has been discussed to death but it seems like it just goes in circles and I've never been able to find a final answer. And a lot of people are discussing movies rather than games.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Picked up a C9, but I’m having an issue that should be easy to figure out but I’m not having any luck.

Basically I have a Bell Satellite box connected through a Marantz SR7010 to the C9. Somehow the C9 is hijacking the audio and the Marantz isn’t receiving any audio signal. Every other device works fine. On initial setup I was getting audio to the Marantz just fine, but somewhere along the way the problem occurs. Did a complete reset of the C9 and got the audio back, but turned everything on today and again there’s no audio going to the Marantz. If I disconnect the HDMI going to the tv, I get the proper audio signal back.

I’ve tried every arc setting I can find on both the C9 and Marantz, but the issue persists. I suspect it has something to do with the automatic device detection, but I can’t figure it out.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are there any definitive settings for PC Gaming? There are so many options on both the TV and the PC that it is making my head spin.

1. First we have to deal with both SDR and HDR. Should HDR be enabled in the Windows Control Panel? I've noticed some games automatically send HDR even when it is disabled in Windows.

2a. Then we have the Nvidia Control Panel. Should we be outputting RGB or YCbCr 444 or 422? 2b. Should Dynamic Range be Limited or Full? And same question for both SDR and HDR.

3a. Then in the TV should we be using the PC Mode icon? 3b. And what should the Black Level setting be? 3c. And also should the Color Gamut be Wide or Extended?

I know this has been discussed to death but it seems like it just goes in circles and I've never been able to find a final answer. And a lot of people are discussing movies rather than games.
1. I only enable HDR in Windows Control Panel for games that need it, like COD MW and RDR2. And turn it off again when I stop playing.

2a. That also depends on the resolution and framerate you want to use. You have to make concessions, because of the HDMI 2.0 limited bandwidth. I want [email protected], so I set it to YCbCr 422 limited. This allows for 12bit for HDR content. For SDR, use RGB Full 8bit. You could also use RGB Full 8bit for all content. HDR will still work. We need HDMI 2.1 graphics cards to get rid of this "dilemma". Then we can just set it to [email protected] RGB Full 12bit. I believe technically the best setting would be YCbCr 444. But you need PC Mode for that to display correctly, and PC Mode has issues. Also, when not actually using the desktop or programs with lots of text, there is no real benefit with 444, except with some PC-only games with a lot of text.

2b. See 2a.

3a. I recommend not using PC Mode ever. Many reports of it having big issues such as banding.

3b. Black level should be low when using limited dynamic range and high when using full dynamic range.

3c. Not sure about this one. I have it set to auto, simply because I read in some guides that's the recommended setting.

9881 - 9900 of 16053 Posts