AVS Forum banner

10341 - 10360 of 16048 Posts

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
That is so confusing... I have just looked into that hidden menu again, it says "progressive". Is that the value that would say "interlaced" if that was the case?
Yes.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Going through the receiver and TV results in the same outcome am I right?
Your receiver to TV HDMI cable is confirmed to output at 4K 60Hz correct?

Then I recommend to try unplugging that cable from your receiver and plugging it in to your PC. No need to set it to PC mode. Start by lowering the resolution or refresh rate.
So something like 1440p 30Hz or 4K 30Hz. Only if it works, then you start making your way up to 4K.

A simple google search reveals other RX 580 users having an issue outputting 4K to their TVs and monitors via HDMI. One result that turns out to be that their cable is not Certified Premium compliant. And they kept on buying supposed '4K' cables as opposed to getting one with the certification. Thus why to make sure that is not the issue, I recommended changing the resolution to something lower and make your way up until you start facing this issue.

Other than that, it seems to be more of a Graphics card/cable issue rather than a TV/receiver issue. Thus, not a lot of people here understands the situation you are in if they do not have the RX 580. Thus, it is also best to seek help from the graphics card side to help get to the bottom of this.
I can tell you first hand those certified cables are totally unnecessary if you are running less than 6'. I have fully compliant certified cables that I paid well over $60 each for and they are marketing BS. I can put a $5 cable in there and get the same results. I uninstalled the AMD drivers, reinstalled and it's back to 4k with a $5 cable.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I can tell you first hand those certified cables are totally unnecessary if you are running less than 6'. I have fully compliant certified cables that I paid well over $60 each for and they are marketing BS. I can put a $5 cable in there and get the same results. I uninstalled the AMD drivers, reinstalled and it's back to 4k with a $5 cable.
Certified cables are fairly inexpensive - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

Not sure where you got the $60 number from. The main thing you want to do is ensure you buy certified cables so you don't have your cable producing difficult to debug issues intermittently. It really isn't a monetary burden to stick with certified cables from good sellers like Monoprice / bluejeans, etc.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Certified cables are fairly inexpensive - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

Not sure where you got the $60 number from. The main thing you want to do is ensure you buy certified cables so you don't have your cable producing difficult to debug issues intermittently. It really isn't a monetary burden to stick with certified cables from good sellers like Monoprice / bluejeans, etc.
My point is everyone likes to blame the cable for any issue related to 4k. I had big go around with Pioneer on a 4k issue and they insisted it was my cables. So I went to Best Buy, bought certified premium cables to amuse the Pioneer support tech to find out it did not fix the problem. I also have those Monoprice cables you linked. I'm just a tad fed up every time someone suggests a cable problem. To date the cable was never the problem.

Reactions: KC-Technerd

·
Registered
227 Posts
I was referring to cheap certified cables like monoprice or Amazon. The certification is so that it can actually run at rated speeds of 18Gbps. (Just in case. You didn't really give me much information to work with after all.) I too don't believe in marketing bs type of cables. A certification means HDMI Forum tested and can validate that it does work at the manufacturer's advertised speeds. This is digital signal after all. Not analog where then, you might get better sound with thicker cables and what not.

And no. Just because your cable is short, doesn't magically turn it from HDMI 1.4 cable with 10.2Gbps speeds to a HDMI 2.0 cable with 18Gbps. Thus why your information about cable length wasn't really a useful in helping you find a solution.

As mentioned, this is a C9 forum. Not a Windows/AMD software clinic centre. Don't be so agitated when you were the one asking for help to begin with.

Glad you got your issue fixed. It will be useful in guiding others who faced the same issue as you. Which is, do some basic troubleshooting 1st next time. :rolleyes:
Have a nice day.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
My point is everyone likes to blame the cable for any issue related to 4k. I had big go around with Pioneer on a 4k issue and they insisted it was my cables. So I went to Best Buy, bought certified premium cables to amuse the Pioneer support tech to find out it did not fix the problem. I also have those Monoprice cables you linked. I'm just a tad fed up every time someone suggests a cable problem. To date the cable was never the problem.
Perhaps in your case, but there are many hundreds of cases on these groups where it was.

So, because:
a) Certified cables are NOT more expensive than non-certified cables, and
b) it eliminates many factors of doubt, and
c) crappy cables have been the cause in many cases in the past

it is common, quicker and more helpful all around to eliminate a bad cable as the cause first. Hence the suggestions. It's not to make you fed up, it's for common sense. Surprise surprise it's very often the non-certified cable at fault - and then, this frees up the space here, once a certified cable is being used, to discuss in more detail the remaining cases.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I figured I'd get the pixel peeping out of my system on my 77C9 that just came in yesterday. In general, I am extremely happy with the set at my viewing distance (10 ft). I didn't realize just how good HDR can be on an OLED!

Looking at my 5, 10, 20 and 100% gray patterns, I think I have a pretty decent panel, and exceptional white uniformity on the 100% pattern. I've upgraded from a Samsung plasma that never had great white uniformity, so this has been fantastic. I watched all of episode 2 of "Our Planet" which is all-white snow scenery for most of the show with not a single complaint on that department, so I'm happy as a peach! The 5% isn't great (ran one pixel refresh after receiving the set) but it looks more exaggerated in the pictures. I definitely see some banding in the Marco Polo banding test, but even that was very noticable for only one of the scenes of a panning shot of the lady riding a horse in twilight.

Definitely holding onto this set. Hopefully with time and refresh cycles the 5% gray pattern will even out a bit, but even if it doesn't, I'm totally okay with it. I watched a lot of different content last night (HDR + bright content from Our Planet and Lion King, Inky blacks in space from The Expanse and mixed content from Stranger Things) and the gray banding hardly ever came up and was only noticable because I was looking for it. Personally, I think the lack of good white-tint uniformity would likely be far more noticeable, and I'm glad that is near perfect on my set.

PS - A couple funny things happened along the way. My wife, who is the type of person who hardly ever notices any differences between SD, 720p and 1080p content (she just rolls her eyes when I've talked about how much greater 1080p is, etc) was floored by the combination of OLED + 4K (at a great viewing distance) + HDR and definitely noticed and commented on it. My 6 year old watched the first episode of "Our Planet" and was absolutely mesmerized and kept going "Whoaaaahhhh!!" every other minute :D

Your 5% slide is either a viewing/pic angle problem, but seem to have uniformity issue on the right. Run slides for 4-5 hours a few times with power off for 15 + minutes in between then run the 5% again.

Reactions: orion2001

·
Registered
772 Posts
Your 5% slide is either a viewing/pic angle problem, but seem to have uniformity issue on the right. Run slides for 4-5 hours a few times with power off for 15 + minutes in between then run the 5% again.
Thanks. Yup, that is exactly the plan :). Just rummaged through my old stuff to find a flash drive to use for the burn-in slides. My 5% definitely isn't great (though the camera exaggerates it) but I think it is already improved over the 1st hour after running a manual 1 hr pixel refresh. I don't plan on running any more of those manually though, but I'll try to run the burn-in slides with intermittent standby so the TV can do its mini-refresh cycles. I was more worried about 20%+ tinting/non-uniformity as that is far more noticeable in regular content and fortunately the TV seems great on that front. Hopefully the 5% evens out some more with more use.

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Edit - Figured it out, The "Filter" in the browser was set to Video only... that is not a great UX decision because there was absolutely no way to figure this out without me getting lucky and stumbling into the Filter settings.

Okay, I feel really dumb but I can't figure out how to display D-Nice's Plasma TV Burn-in slides via USB on my 77C9! I uploaded the .jpg files in a folder on the USB drive. When I plug it into the TV, it is recognized and from the Home Dashboard I can select the USB device --> Photos and Video, and then I end up in a file browser of sorts but when I click into the folder containing the JPG files, it says that no supported video files or media found :confused:
I tried uploading images to the root of the drive, but that didn't help either. Am I overlooking something really silly?

·
Registered
437 Posts
IMG_3689.jpg
So this is at 5% on my 65 inch C9. Do you guys think this is pretty bad? Honestly it doesn’t bother me at all because I don’t even notice it unless I run this YouTube test. I’m at 115 hours right now. Other than that the picture is just absolutely beautiful with 4K HDR content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
A bit of topic, but could this just be the 2nd device with HDMI 2.1 ?!? https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/12/android-10-on-android-tv.html
With a quad-core A53, 2GB of DDR3 memory and 4Kp60 HDR HDMI 2.1 output, we’ve designed this pre-certified TV dongle with updates and security patches to help developers design for the next generation of Android TV devices
If yes, didn't expected too soon. Too bad it's only for devs. Hope to see any confirmation if this is real a true HDMI 2.1 device or just a marketing propaganda and after all is just a HDMI 2.0 with only some 2.1 specs like on Xbox One X.
Well if it's only 4Kp60 then it might be just hdmi 2.0 with some hdmi 2.1 specs.

·
Registered
227 Posts
A bit of topic, but could this just be the 2nd device with HDMI 2.1 ?!? https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/12/android-10-on-android-tv.html

If yes, didn't expected too soon. Too bad it's only for devs. Hope to see any confirmation if this is real a true HDMI 2.1 device or just a marketing propaganda and after all is just a HDMI 2.0 with only some 2.1 specs like on Xbox One X.
Well if it's only 4Kp60 then it might be just hdmi 2.0 with some hdmi 2.1 specs.
I agree. Nothing special about this device. No talk about VRR, no 4K 120Hz at least. Might as well just call it a HDMI 2.1 device with HDMI 2.0 features. :p

·
Vendor
26,625 Posts

Cables sometimes are the issue if they do not have the badge below. Just because they have the badge does not mean they have to be expensive. Under $10 bucks in most cases. I have never spent a lot of money on cables, no need to as you noted.....

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey all, I received my 55c9 that I'll be hanging on the wall this weekend (having some work done on the house, so I have to be patient which is excruciating).

I'll be using my Xbox One (not X) as a BluRay player and game console. Does the C9 remember tweaks done to different picture modes (ie. Ones I would do in Game mode, and others in cinema or film mode) for each input? I am absolutely allergic to soap opera effect, so watching a movie needs to be without all the processing stuff, but I do also like smooth games. So would each mode keep their settings in this respect?

Thanks

Envoyé de mon LYA-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Hey all, I received my 55c9 that I'll be hanging on the wall this weekend (having some work done on the house, so I have to be patient which is excruciating).

I'll be using my Xbox One (not X) as a BluRay player and game console. Does the C9 remember tweaks done to different picture modes (ie. Ones I would do in Game mode, and others in cinema or film mode) for each input? I am absolutely allergic to soap opera effect, so watching a movie needs to be without all the processing stuff, but I do also like smooth games. So would each mode keep their settings in this respect?

Thanks

Envoyé de mon LYA-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk
Yes, the tv will remember all the settings and the Xbox will remember what picture modes for sdr and HDR if you are using the instant game respond option.

LG C9, C8, C6 w/Pioneer SC-LX502 AVR, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Nintendo Switch

10341 - 10360 of 16048 Posts