AVS Forum banner

10661 - 10680 of 16029 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Firmware 04.71.05 just got released for EU sets.

Detailed applicable model list : Please check with reference Tab exactly
* SW information
1. Improvement
1) Featuring NVIDIA G-Sync Compatible.

2. Applicable model list
OLED65W9PLA
OLED77W9PLA
OLED55E9PLA
OLED65E9PLA
OLED55E97LA
OLED65E97LA
OLED55C9PLA
OLED65C9PLA
OLED77C9PLA
OLED55C97LA
OLED65C97LA
OLED55C9MLB
OLED65C9MLB
OLED55C98LB
OLED65C98LB

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
I think I'm all good now. :)
The proof is in the pudding.

If you use the Netflix app on the ATV 4K, search for "The Irishman" and select it, the A/V information shown up at the top of the info screen should show "DV + DA" (with the two logos). That shows you the app determined your equipment was compatible with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. And of course if you play the movie you should see the "DOLBY VISION" indicator light up in the upper-right corner of the C9 screen.

In fact, with my "4K Dolby Vision 60Hz" setting for FORMAT in the ATV 4K, all I have to do is launch the Netflix app (which presents some kind of a coming attractions preview background, plus the assorted rows of suggestions, etc.) and the "DOLBY VISION" indicator on the C9 lights up immediately. So even this preview screen is being delivered in DV.

What happens if you run the "HDMI Connections" test?

·
Registered
26,853 Posts
The proof is in the pudding.

If you use the Netflix app on the ATV 4K, search for "The Irishman" and select it, the A/V information shown up at the top of the info screen should show "DV + DA" (with the two logos). That shows you the app determined your equipment was compatible with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. And of course if you play the movie you should see the "DOLBY VISION" indicator light up in the upper-right corner of the C9 screen.

In fact, with my "4K Dolby Vision 60Hz" setting for FORMAT in the ATV 4K, all I have to do is launch the Netflix app (which presents some kind of a coming attractions preview background, plus the assorted rows of suggestions, etc.) and the "DOLBY VISION" indicator on the C9 lights up immediately. So even this preview screen is being delivered in DV.

What happens if you run the "HDMI Connections" test?
That is actually unchanged. It said & says everything is fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone else enable Tone mapping in HDR while watching UHD movies? I find the image dull when turned off. Also I have my brightness set to 49, as if I set it to 50 I start to see raised blacks.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Anyone else enable Tone mapping in HDR while watching UHD movies? I find the image dull when turned off. Also I have my brightness set to 49, as if I set it to 50 I start to see raised blacks.
Dropping brightness to 49 seems to be the go to for pretty much all of hdr movies. Some seem fine with 50 but most that I've seen need 49 to get true blacks throughout. Your eyes are used to seeing a brighter pic with tone map enabled I feel its dimmer too when turned off but I've been using my panny 4K player utilizing its hdr optimizer

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dropping brightness to 49 seems to be the go to for pretty much all of hdr movies. Some seem fine with 50 but most that I've seen need 49 to get true blacks throughout. Your eyes are used to seeing a brighter pic with tone map enabled I feel its dimmer too when turned off but I've been using my panny 4K player utilizing its hdr optimizer

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I think you’re right and I am now used to a brighter image. But when I compare tone mapping on in HDR to DV cinema home they seem very similar in brightness. I like the cinema setting in DV as it’s still bright enough, and is noticeably brighter than HDR mode with no tone mapping.
When you use HDR optimiser on the Panasonic do you just turn it on or do you adjust the slider which increases brightness? I ask because I have the Panasonic 820.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here's a new one. Noticed a horizontal area where there was bad tinting on my screen while playing a game. Paid attention to it the other day when I started and it wasnt there when I started playing but started showing up 10 mins in and eventually got really bad. Have now noticed this while watching football.

I'm curious if anyone has ever received a panel replacement for the tinting and if it worked or if it will work. Returning the set is not an option as Im 2 hours from the nearest retailer.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I have not yet, but plan to see how it compares to the calibrated tone curves. I calibrated with Calman Home and my 77C9 peaked at 687 and I set it to 680. There are a few demos where it looked like it was still blowing out/clipping some details out compared to the Sony A9G. I was expecting the Calibrated tone to preserve the details by lowering the brightness. Not sure if it is supposed to lower the overall APL like Sony or just lower the areas that would clip. Watching thw same demo clip on the A9G did lower the APL a bit, but kept all the brighter details where the LG just clipped them right out. I need to do some research on how the LG HDR tone curves are supposed to work then compare that to enabling tone mapping.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have not yet, but plan to see how it compares to the calibrated tone curves. I calibrated with Calman Home and my 77C9 peaked at 687 and I set it to 680. There are a few demos where it looked like it was still blowing out/clipping some details out compared to the Sony A9G. I was expecting the Calibrated tone to preserve the details by lowering the brightness. Not sure if it is supposed to lower the overall APL like Sony or just lower the areas that would clip. Watching thw same demo clip on the A9G did lower the APL a bit, but kept all the brighter details where the LG just clipped them right out. I need to do some research on how the LG HDR tone curves are supposed to work then compare that to enabling tone mapping.
I can't compare what I see on my C9 to a Sony as I don't have one, but from what I can tell in my viewing is the LG does a fantastic job of retaining highlight detail. The latest BBC UHD HDR Disk, Seven Worlds, One Planet is something to behold!!!

I do have a pretty good, bright panel though. And although not calibrated as such, I have uploaded the different tone curves to my TV and I leave Dynamic Tone Mapping turned off, which I believe is recommended

Vincent Teoh claims in his recent LG vs Sony comparisson video, the LG retains specular highlight detail whereas the Sony hard clips.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
26,853 Posts
I can't compare what I see on my C9 to a Sony as I don't have one, but from what I can tell in my viewing is the LG does a fantastic job of retaining highlight detail. The latest BBC UHD HDR Disk, Seven Worlds, One Planet is something to behold!!!

I do have a pretty good, bright panel though. And although not calibrated as such, I have uploaded the different tone curves to my TV and I leave Dynamic Tone Mapping turned off, which I believe is recommended

Vincent Teoh claims in his recent LG vs Sony comparisson video, the LG retains specular highlight detail whereas the Sony hard clips.
Aren't they the exact same panels? LG makes them all, no?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Aren't they the exact same panels? LG makes them all, no?
LG Displays make the panels and LG Electronics, Sony, Panasonic, and other manufactures make the LG TV's we buy.

LG, Sony, Panasonic all have different chipsets, operating systems and a whole load of other stuff going on before the image we see hits the screen. Each of them have their own idea on which way to tone map is best, and as there is no standard set in stone, there is no right or wrong way.

·
Registered
301 Posts
So I just setup my 55'' C9 and was running through test slides, and unfortunately I'm seeing three dead subpixels. One in the left side about 3 inches in and two on the right side about 6 inches each from the bottom right corner and side.

They only appear on green test images though, or content mixed with some green in it. White, red, and, blue are fine. I also have just a slight bit of pink hue in the top left corner of my screen. Haven't checked for banding yet.

While I know no display is perfect, and I realize sometimes these dead pixels can come alive or be revived with light rubbing, is this typical for screens of this size?

Of course I can't see these pixels at viewing distance, but I'm also wondering if I go through the panel lottery I just end up getting one with more dead pixels, worse tinting, bad banding etc.

Any recommendations? I'm sure people have zero dead pixels on their sets and I just got unlucky, but besides not checking banding, the panel seems pretty good. It' from Costco. So I have months before I'm out of options for returning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The latest EU firmware 04.71.05 seems to have fixed/enabled Disney Plus' Dolby Digital + 5.1 issue for me at least. Now getting 5.1 instead of 2.0 sound on my Yamaha amp.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
So I just setup my 55'' C9 and was running through test slides, and unfortunately I'm seeing three dead subpixels. One in the left side about 3 inches in and two on the right side about 6 inches each from the bottom right corner and side.

They only appear on green test images though, or content mixed with some green in it. White, red, and, blue are fine. I also have just a slight bit of pink hue in the top left corner of my screen. Haven't checked for banding yet.

While I know no display is perfect, and I realize sometimes these dead pixels can come alive or be revived with light rubbing, is this typical for screens of this size?

Of course I can't see these pixels at viewing distance, but I'm also wondering if I go through the panel lottery I just end up getting one with more dead pixels, worse tinting, bad banding etc.

Any recommendations? I'm sure people have zero dead pixels on their sets and I just got unlucky, but besides not checking banding, the panel seems pretty good. It' from Costco. So I have months before I'm out of options for returning.
Since it's from Costco, just return it and get another.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

Are you sure they are dead or are they just stuck?

Since you just got it and don’t see them when viewing normally I’d recommend sitting back and enjoying your new TV instead of trying to find something wrong with it.

Get a few hundred hours on it then see what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
That is actually unchanged. It said & says everything is fine.
But do you see "Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos" on the info screen when you select "The Irishman" on the Netflix app of the ATV 4K? If not, then you are not set up correctly.

If you use the Netflix app on the C9, I'm sure you will see "DV + DA" as you should. And the "Dolby Vision" indicator will light up on the C9 screen upper-right corner. You should see the same using ATV 4K.

If you see HDR + DA, or HD + 5.1, or anything other than DV + DA, then you are not configured optimally. "The Irishman" is supposed to be delivered in DV + DA to your setup.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I have a DV question on the C9. Out of the box what are the differences between DV Cinema Home and just DV Cinema? I know one is brighter, are they both supposed to be accurate just at different brightness levels? Also if I run Calman again both will they then both look the same or each will retain a specific brightness target and Calman will just dial on the accuracy for a specific brightness curve?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I have a DV question on the C9. Out of the box what are the differences between DV Cinema Home and just DV Cinema? I know one is brighter, are they both supposed to be accurate just at different brightness levels? Also if I run Calman again both will they then both look the same or each will retain a specific brightness target and Calman will just dial on the accuracy for a specific brightness curve?
DV Cinema is the only accurate one.
DV Cinema Home, is the higher brightness one (which means, by definition, it's brighter than it should be, therefore not accurate). Remember, the PQ is an absolute curve, not like gamma which is relative. This means for any given input, there is an exact output in nits which is specified. The "Home" version doesn't follow the curve exactly.

It's the tone-mapping done by the TV which applies this "brightness kick", so don't worry, it wouldn't be affected by your calibration because the calibration for Dolby Vision is done in the SDR space.
For both modes the TV is set into its special calibration mode, the calibration is done in native gamma 2.2, and the LUT uploaded for that. It's changed by the TV into the PQ EOFT, HTH HAND :).
The "Home" bump is done separately and later, and you can't defeat it. But calibration of both modes will improve greyscale accuracy of each one, keeping their different brightnesses (with DV Cinema being a lot more accurate).

10661 - 10680 of 16029 Posts