AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 16099 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
This review notes they measured the input lag at 12.7ms :eek::)
I'd wait for the rtings review to settle the input lag question since D-Nice measured 21 ms. This guy also mentioned reduced flicker with BFI, which is obviously not the case anymore, so he may just be regurgitating LG's original information sent to the press just before CES.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
This guy also mentioned reduced flicker with BFI, which is obviously not the case anymore, .
What does this mean? Is the new BFI no good?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
It looks about the same to me as the C8 I had in dimness and flicker.

He’s upset they pulled the low/med/high settings for BFI. They showed it at CES but it’s not in the current production version.

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
Is anyone else really surprised that the MSRP for the 77" did not drop at all from last year and is higher than the MSRP for the 82" QLED? The delta for that extra 12 inches continues to be ridiculous. Hopefully this doesn't count as "price talk". ")
Get your facts straight.

MSRP for the 77C8 at launch was $9000.

MSRP for the 77C9 at launch is $7000.

That's a year-on-year reduction of over 22%.

55C and 65C MSRP was flat between 2018 and 2019, but not 77C...

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
The 77" did drop in launch MSRP compared to last year. I am not surprised the drop still has not brought prices in line with 75" LCDs given the capacity constraints on OLED production.
Exactly.

Fewer than 1% of WOLED panels produced are 77". It's still a 'for show only' and 'bragging rights' product rather than a serious attempt to establish a business and take market share (as LG has done at 55" and 65").

LG is forecasted to only be manufacturng 34,000 77" WOLEDs out if a total of 3.7 million total WOLED panels this year: https://www.displaysupplychain.com/blog/oled-panel-revenues-to-grow-8-in-2019-to-29-billion

"As shown in the next chart, OLED TV panel shipments grew 66% in 2018 to 2.9 million units, with growth across all screen sizes. In 2019 we expect that growth will slow to 28% as LGD will be capacity constrained before it fully ramps its G8.5 fab in Guangzhou, China starting in the 2nd half of 2019. We forecast that 55” TV panels will increase 31% in 2019 to 2.4 million, while 65” will increase 23% to 1.2 million and 77” will increase 31% to 34,000 units."

·
Registered
45 Posts
Definitely meant consoles and by "catches on" I was referring to the post from the GAME DEVELOPER who said console game makers may not adopt it. I know it has existed on PCs for ages, but I've had no interest in PC gaming since around 2005 when I switched to consoles. I've been a heavy gamer since 1986 across consoles, PCs, Amigas, you name it, thank you very much. Were you even born yet then? ;) Also the spelling in your context is "too" not "to". Apologies, but I don't do well with know-it-all punks. Also, get off my lawn. ;)
If you are referencing my post I was prognosticating that you wont see many VRR games that are ABOVE 60 fps on console. Not for a while. However I suspect that many to most games coming out in the future (year out) and that are already targeting 60fps will support VRR. At least the AAA games. If the VRR range goes below 30fps in 1080p in most tvs (as samsungs do) then I would think that many to most AAA games will support it. I expect that for the next gen it will be standard and maybe even required by the first parties (sony and microsoft).

This will for sure happen if the hoops you have to jump through on the engine side to enable this are not huge. There is nothing that we like more in game dev than something that makes the game run smoother in the hardware, especially if its minimal work.

Reality though right now there are only a handful of games on one console that support VRR. Probably wont get a new batch until fall as summer is a lull in the game industry. It might not really start taking off till next gen. We will have to see if Sony adds it to the PS4.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Exactly.

Fewer than 1% of WOLED panels produced are 77". It's still a 'for show only' and 'bragging rights' product rather than a serious attempt to establish a business and take market share (as LG has done at 55" and 65").

LG is forecasted to only be manufacturng 34,000 77" WOLEDs out if a total of 3.7 million total WOLED panels this year: https://www.displaysupplychain.com/blog/oled-panel-revenues-to-grow-8-in-2019-to-29-billion

"As shown in the next chart, OLED TV panel shipments grew 66% in 2018 to 2.9 million units, with growth across all screen sizes. In 2019 we expect that growth will slow to 28% as LGD will be capacity constrained before it fully ramps its G8.5 fab in Guangzhou, China starting in the 2nd half of 2019. We forecast that 55” TV panels will increase 31% in 2019 to 2.4 million, while 65” will increase 23% to 1.2 million and 77” will increase 31% to 34,000 units."

Thank you for this detailed response. I find it amazing that 77" numbers are THAT low, especially with the extra large panels gaining more and more market share according to what I've read. After all when Samsung and Sony have 82" and 85" panels this year, 77" seems like no big deal at all. I consider 65" bare minimum for a living room TV nowadays.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah, I would think a 77" would be more popular. Having a 2015 65" Curved EG9600, I wanted to upgrade by going bigger, but I think the price is still too much for me to go 77" such that I am now more leaning towards the LG LED model at 86". Or a Sony 85". I want big. ;)

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have Sony's 1070 AVR. Do you always have to manually select the input on the AVR when turning on the TV? I alway get the home page from the receiver then I have to select input.
My set up: Cable box > 1070 ARC OUT > C9 EARC.
It doesn’t seem to do that anymore (just tested), although I now only have One HDMI input, it is plugged into the arc input on the receiver. I always leave the input to TV now as it’s just for audio. I can remember exactly as you are describing when I had my devices plugged directly into the AVR.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Get your facts straight.

MSRP for the 77C8 at launch was $9000.

MSRP for the 77C9 at launch is $7000.

That's a year-on-year reduction of over 22%.

55C and 65C MSRP was flat between 2018 and 2019, but not 77C...
So, given that the 77" prices seem to drop 3 months after release (for the past 3 years, anyway), do you think it's likely we'll see a $6000 MSRP for the 77" C9 by August, or do you think it's more likely to stay at $7000 until November?

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
Thank you for this detailed response. I find it amazing that 77" numbers are THAT low, especially with the extra large panels gaining more and more market share according to what I've read. After all when Samsung and Sony have 82" and 85" panels this year, 77" seems like no big deal at all. I consider 65" bare minimum for a living room TV nowadays.
Think of LG's 77" WOLED panels as a placeholder - as long as they can sell all of the 55" and 65" WOLED panels they can produce, they will continue to focus the bulk of their production on those segments where the market is much larger.

At some point, their capacity to produce more 55" and 65" WOLED panels will exceed the demand they find from LGE, Sony, Panasonic and their other OEM custoners (including Vizio next year ;)). When that happens, they will easily becable to increase 77" WOLED production by 10x or more (and we will see far more agressive 75/67" WOLED pricing).

For reference, it costs LGD as much to produce 2 77" WOLED panels as it does to produce 3 65" WOLED panels, and the cost of 77" WOLED TVs is well under 150% the cost of 65" WOLED TVs because all of the other costs including processor, power supply, etc... are fixed and not screen-size-dependant.

So once we see MSRP and discounted pricing of 77" WOLED TVs under 150% of the MSRP and discounted pricing of 65" WOLED TVs, we'll know that LG Display has decided to get as serious about gaining share of the 75/77" Premium TV Segment as they are about dominating the 55" and 65" Premium TV segments...

This year, 77C9 MSRP is $7000 while 65C9 MSRP is $3500, so 77" is prced at 200% of 65", so it's another 'placeholder year'. Perhaps next year, once Guangzhou has ramped and LGD's 8.5G WOLED capacity has increased from 70,000 sheets per month to 130,000 sheets per month, we'll finally see them go after the 75/77" market mare seriously.

I'm guessing we'll see a $3000 MSRP for the 65C20 next year and expectng the 77C20 to have an MSRP of $5000, so we'll be getting closer (and if it's priced under $4500, we'll basically be there).

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
So, given that the 77" prices seem to drop 3 months after release (for the past 3 years, anyway), do you think it's likely we'll see a $6000 MSRP for the 77" C9 by August, or do you think it's more likely to stay at $7000 until November?
I wrote you a reply but then realized it qualifies as 'price talk' and so is not appropriate for this thread. You can find the answer for yourself: search for 'camelcamel OLED77C8PUA'...

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well, I can't wait that long, so I will be one the suckers who pays for two 65" C9s to get a 77", I mean I already have a 65" C8, but always wanted 2.1 and VRR. Wanted the 77 last year but could not justify it with 2.1 around the corner and no VRR and never having had an OLED before. My 65" purchase was trial placeholder for what I REALLY wanted. I'm one of those folks happy to drive a Subaru over a Mercedes so I have to splurge somewhere. :) Was considering an 82" Sammy before Vincent's 0R review, still too many compromises. And Sony not having ANY 2.1 features this year like VRR is just really disappointing. Oh well, just makes the decision super easy this time.... especially with pricing on the 85" Z9G supposedly being TWICE the 77" C9, all of a sudden it seems like a bargain! LOL!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sound Quality

1077 posts and nothing about sound quality? Can someone comment on this, please!!! Is it adequate for a large room (20x2) with high ceilings (20 feet)?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Guys this is an owners thread so let’s talk about the tv and whatnot, there’s a thread to discuss pricing elsewhere. There seems to be a lot of non owner convo here. I know people have questions but let’s try to stay on topic so we can have good posts 😎

1061 - 1080 of 16099 Posts