AVS Forum banner

11541 - 11560 of 16101 Posts

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
Cinema Home artificially boosts the brightness levels, so if viewing in a brighter environment, it may be more suitable. But when watching in a darkened room then Cinema is the most accurate.
I've gone back and forth from Cinema Home to Cinema for months trying to see which one I liked better. After purchasing Calman Home for LG I've decided on Cinema as being the best for HDR10 and Dolby Vision viewing but Expert Bright as being best for SDR viewing. Expert Dark was not working for me when viewing SDR content even though it's been said Expert Dark was most accurate.

·
Registered
439 Posts
How do I find the total hours usage on the C9?

Can’t see anything in General - About This TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've gone back and forth from Cinema Home to Cinema for months trying to see which one I liked better. After purchasing Calman Home for LG I've decided on Cinema as being the best for HDR10 and Dolby Vision viewing but Expert Bright as being best for SDR viewing. Expert Dark was not working for me when viewing SDR content even though it's been said Expert Dark was most accurate.
For SDR, Cinema, Technicolor, ISF Bright/Dark are all exactly the same Picture mode once calibrated using AutoCal. There is absolutely no difference at all whatsoever once a full DDC Reset has been performed. A Full DDC Reset puts the panel in its native state and all calibrations are performed to the parameters you set out in the workflow provided. This also applies to SDR Game with the exception that there is post processing options that can not be enabled post calibration to keep the input lag to its minimum.

If you are seeing differences between picture modes after calibrating with AutoCal and you are using the exact same parameters, it is due to one (or both) of two reasons.

The Main reason would be down to the way AutoCal works. You can run two AutoCal back to back on the same mode and the results are likely to be very different. AutoCal uses a form of guesswork approach to make adjustments to the grey scale until the software takes readings below the target dE you set. Sometimes you notice you'll reach well below your target dE but it will continue to make adjustments that are not needed before moving on to the next point. You'll get one grey scale calibration that will take 5 minutes with only 60 - 70 reads, then run it again and it may take 15 minutes with over 200. Considering the panel is in the exact same native state during grey scale calibration, this really shouldn't be happening, but is a consequence on how AutoCal is working. 3D LUT generation is another matter entirely, and depending what parameters you set, there can be some wildly varying results between runs. Some AutoCal defaults are not ideal and require adjustment by the user.

The other reason is that different picture modes have various post processing option enabled by default, all of which MUST be disabled prior to AutoCal. Super Resolution, Noise Reduction, Smooth Gradation, TruMotion. If any of these, or any form of Energy Saving, Logo Luminance Adjust, Screen Shift or Overscan are enabled, results are going to vary on an AutoCal by AutoCal basis.

Using Alternative methods and software, you can create one single Calibration including 3D LUT, and upload it to ALL picture modes, and I can absolutely guarantee you that if all Post Processing is disabled in those modes, the image is identical.

The reason HDR & Dolby Vision are different between Cinema and Cinema Home is the fact that these 2 modes use a different internal tone mapping algorithm which artificially boosts the low to mid luminance levels for brighter room viewing. If viewed in darker conditions you will notice how much detail is lost in the Cinema Home mode. Cinema is the most accurate and follows the PQ Curve perfectly until the preset (or user uploaded) roll of point.

·
Registered
867 Posts
How do I find the total hours usage on the C9?

Can’t see anything in General - About This TV.

Based on your Username, I'm guessing you are in the UK? If so, there is no way to see this in the User Menu. It can only be viewed in the Service Menu on EU model LG's

Reactions: FarleyUK

·
Registered
115 Posts
One quick question, for those who use the C9 with PC (in PC mode), should we use RGB Full or RGB Limited? With an NVIDIA graphics card.

·
Registered
674 Posts
For me... the improvements in near black processing are worth the upgrade alone. I’ve only had my set a couple of weeks but the first thing i did was throw on a few scenes which my e6 really struggled with (e.g. the first few minutes of pans labyrinth and the titles of mullholland drive.) The C9 dithers much better, doesn’t shift colours near black and hugely reduces or eradicates the macroblocking present on my e6.

I moved up from the EC9300 and agree with everything he said. Although the EC9300 does make an awesome set for the bedroom now!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
One quick question, for those who use the C9 with PC (in PC mode), should we use RGB Full or RGB Limited? With an NVIDIA graphics card.
I am no expert and just got my C9 2 days ago, but looking RTINGS.COM they suggest you label the input as PC like you said because it enables Chroma 4:4:4. On the PC I put use "Prefer Nvidia Settings" and selected 4:4:4 at 8bit. The TV itself from my understanding will automatically go to higher bit rate, but it would be at 4:4:4 because that is what renaming the input to PC does. I may be wrong..but the whole point of chaning it to PC in the label is to engage 4:4:4 chroma. By setting the PC to RGB wouldn't that circumvent that? Again, I may be wrong.it just seemed logicial to have the PC also at 4:4:4.

Let me know if I am wrong because I am also just learning the TV and would like optimal settings with my PC as well.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
but it would be at 4:4:4 because that is what renaming the input to PC does.
No. Renaming the input does nothing. It’s the icon that must be PC for PC Mode.

PC mode doesn’t force it to 4:4:4. PC Mode stops it from down converting from RGB or 4:4:4 to 4:2:2.

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey fellas,

Do you think the 77 c9 is a good fit for me?

My basement is a 1400 sqft open room. 15' behind time he couch is a patio french door and some windows that face the tv (30+ feet away) No direct sunlight will come close at all to hitting the tv due to the north west facing glass. But i am concerned about reflections.

50/50 mix of movies/ sports (basketball and football). Most movies will be night time viewing but some sports mixed in in the day time. We will use the space a gathering spot for parties/ watching a game with lights on, etc.

I hadn't recently considered the C9 77 to be honest. But seeing the blacks and contrast in person wowed me. I really wanted an 85" to begin but has settled on 82 to get a better display. The samsung q80/90 in 82" is the other contender here. But its lack of dts/ atmos passthrough and DV concern me. I have a dennon x3500 with klipsch RP Atmos enabled front speakers for a 5.1.2 setup.

Would the advice from c9 owners be the better looking 77 vs bigger but still great looking 82? Anything else to consider?

The size difference between 77 and 82 really is quite noticeable and my space is huge.

·
Registered
502 Posts
This does not seem to be the case. Playback over Airplay 2 stops after a minute or two if the data connections are shut down on the iOS device. Also if playback is from a macOS device, playback stops immediately if the device goes to sleep.
What you are describing is not an indicator of which device loads the video/audio data.

I never said you can turn off the controlling device. The playback device and the controlling device still exchange some data in certain intervals like the the playback info. If you interrupt the connection between the controlling and the playback device then the playback will eventually stop. The same applies when the controlling device is turned off, in this case the controlling device is actively stopping the playback - that's what you were seeing when you've put your macOS device to sleep.

For the last time since I'm really getting sick of explaining this over and over again and getting responses like "I don't believe you": if you're playing iTunes or ATV+ content (from Apple, not some home made videos or rips etc.) via AirPlay 2 then your LG TV will directly play the video from Apples CDN servers. And if you don't believe me then check it yourself with known methods how to analyze network traffic.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
No. Renaming the input does nothing. It’s the icon that must be PC for PC Mode.

PC mode doesn’t force it to 4:4:4. PC Mode stops it from down converting from RGB or 4:4:4 to 4:2:2.
Thanks. I just got my C9 24 hours ago or so. How do you change the Icon to PC then? I knew I might have been off..but I did not know changing it to PC would do 4:4:4 it was my method that was wrong.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Thanks. I just got my C9 24 hours ago or so. How do you change the Icon to PC then? I knew I might have been off..but I did not know changing it to PC would do 4:4:4 it was my method that was wrong.
Go to the input list (input home screen)and change the icon

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
So i am getting ready to update my 65b7a to a 77" and was going to look for the c9 in closeout coming the next few months.... Not really sure exactly what the BFI @120 will do in the upcoming CX, but will it be worth the extra $ to wait for the CX to be released or jump on the c9 when the price is right?

btw i watch youtubetv (sports, news, movies, ect), netflix, prime.... thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Hey fellas,

My basement is a 1400 sqft open room. 15' behind time he couch is a patio french door and some windows that face the tv (30+ feet away) No direct sunlight will come close at all to hitting the tv due to the north west facing glass. But i am concerned about reflections.

50/50 mix of movies/ sports (basketball and football). Most movies will be night time viewing but some sports mixed in in the day time. We will use the space a gathering spot for parties/ watching a game with lights on, etc.

I hadn't recently considered the C9 77 to be honest. But seeing the blacks and contrast in person wowed me. I really wanted an 85" to begin but has settled on 82 to get a better display. The samsung q80/90 in 82" is the other contender here. But its lack of dts/ atmos passthrough and DV concern me. I have a dennon x3500 with klipsch RP Atmos enabled front speakers for a 5.1.2 setup.

Would the advice from c9 owners be the better looking 77 vs bigger but still great looking 82? Anything else to consider?

The size difference between 77 and 82 really is quite noticeable and my space is huge.
Nothing you describe would make the C9 not a good option.

If you want to own one of the best TVs available I say go for it.

Just double check the EARC thread. IIRC there are compatibility issues with the 3500 series from D&M which is their fault.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey fellas,

I’m in a shockingly similar situation to you and have been having a hard time deciding. C9 is a phenomenal tv but reflections maybe the one problem for you. In a big space a big tv has a ton of merit on size alone. Ideally a 82-85” would fit your situation the best. The new 85” Samsung Q 9500 looks very promising if you can wait a few more months. If they made a somewhat affordable 85” OLED I would have already bought one but size has been my big holdup there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mounting for lg 65 c9 on bello table.

Mounting for lg 65 c9 on bello table.
I have one a 2013 tv table with the center post mount that I would like to use
and not buy another 500 dollar table.
The current tv is flat in the back and the hinge t bar is near the top of the set.
This hinge is fixed in place and does not move up or down. ( at least without tapping
screws for it at a lower height)
Since the Lg has a lower hump for mounting it would be way to high .
The vertical mount bars would probably work but there would be a lot of
space behind the set from the top of the electronics bulge to the hang points.

None of the DIY's seem to show you what to do for this its either stand mount
or wall mount.
Anybody have a solution for this.
Since I live in Earthquake country I want my TV's tied down as much as possible.
Also want to have some height adjustment. ( At least to get it to the right height)

Can anybody point out a thread that solves this ?
Thanks

11541 - 11560 of 16101 Posts