AVS Forum banner

11561 - 11580 of 16017 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I’m in a shockingly similar situation to you and have been having a hard time deciding. C9 is a phenomenal tv but reflections maybe the one problem for you. In a big space a big tv has a ton of merit on size alone. Ideally a 82-85” would fit your situation the best. The new 85” Samsung Q 9500 looks very promising if you can wait a few more months. If they made a somewhat affordable 85” OLED I would have already bought one but size has been my big holdup there.
I agree, i was shocked by how small a 77 looks with an 82 sitting beside it...

Im not finding anything on the q9500 with google... where did you read about it?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I’️m in a shockingly similar situation to you and have been having a hard time deciding. C9 is a phenomenal tv but reflections maybe the one problem for you. In a big space a big tv has a ton of merit on size alone. Ideally a 82-85” would fit your situation the best. The new 85” Samsung Q 9500 looks very promising if you can wait a few more months. If they made a somewhat affordable 85” OLED I would have already bought one but size has been my big holdup there.
I agree, i was shocked by how small a 77 looks with an 82 sitting beside it...

Im not finding anything on the q9500 with google... where did you read about it?
My bad I added an extra 0 by accident. I believe it’s actually the Q 950 T, it has nearly zero bezel and looks to be the real deal. They are making it in a 85” size as well.

·
Vendor
26,606 Posts
Actually it has functioned perfectly. We love it.
Sweet, that's what we like to here. How old is that set now?

Hey fellas,

Do you think the 77 c9 is a good fit for me?

My basement is a 1400 sqft open room. 15' behind time he couch is a patio french door and some windows that face the tv (30+ feet away) No direct sunlight will come close at all to hitting the tv due to the north west facing glass.
That a a big room, can you light control it? JVC RS540U would be very close to the price of a TV, then you can pick you size, maybe 120" ;)

Otherwise I would get a 85" 900F or 950G. You need all the size you can get. Going from 82 to 85 is a 7% difference.

·
Registered
115 Posts

That a a big room, can you light control it? JVC RS540U would be very close to the price of a TV, then you can pick you size, maybe 120" /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Otherwise I would get a 85" 900F or 950G. You need all the size you can get. Going from 82 to 85 is a 7% difference.
I hear ya, but ive never seen a projector look even decent in a room with the lights on. And this is the multipurpose party space. I considered a theater room, but ultimately settled on open game room, tv area bar.

Funny you mention the 85 950G.... it was my early favorite... but the black bars and blooming totally kill it for me. So i moved on to the Q70 85, then read enough reviews to favor the q80/q90 in 82. Both look great in person, the 77c9 looks better but its so small...hah. I don't know if i can settle for the measly 77/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
One quick question, for those who use the C9 with PC (in PC mode), should we use RGB Full or RGB Limited? With an NVIDIA graphics card.

Mines hooked up to my PC I always used Full on previous PC's also. I haven't read anything over the years indicating Limited would be better then Full.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Wanted to confirm something. I know that for HDR/DV movie modes, the settings on the C9 we are supposed to max out OLED Light and Contrast Levels, then HDR uses what it needs from those levels. If I am playing an HDR game on Xbox One X, and the C9 is in the HDR Game mode, should those values also be maxed out and the game will do the same thing; use how ever much of the OLED Light and Contrast it needs? If they are supposed to be maxed in HDR Game mode, then I would need to adjust each games HDR video settings to be correct after that, right? Like adjust the 3 box logos, etc for HDR brightness in that game?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi C9 owners, I am planning to add a TV to my bedroom for mostly nighttime watching. Was looking at the Sony 85x900F, Sony 85x950G and the LG 77C9. Of course, the LG wins out on contrast and PQ. But smaller and pricier.

However, what bothers me the most is how fragile it felt (and is) when I saw it at BB. I do plan on wall mounting it and my kids are teenagers (no young children in home, no pets). It will be about 40-45 inches off the floor (bottom of TV). It is SO THIN that I worry that I am going to crack it or something trying to mount it. :(

How worried should I be? I can't stop thinking about this TV ever since I saw it in its full glory at the local Best Buy. I feel like a hormone raged teenager who got a first glimpse of b**bs and can't stop thinking about it. :D This TV is miles ahead of anything else on the market.

Thanks!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Hi C9 owners, I am planning to add a TV to my bedroom for mostly nighttime watching. Was looking at the Sony 85x900F, Sony 85x950G and the LG 77C9. Of course, the LG wins out on contrast and PQ. But smaller and pricier.

However, what bothers me the most is how fragile it felt (and is) when I saw it at BB. I do plan on wall mounting it and my kids are teenagers (no young children in home, no pets). It will be about 40-45 inches off the floor (bottom of TV). It is SO THIN that I worry that I am going to crack it or something trying to mount it. :(

How worried should I be? I can't stop thinking about this TV ever since I saw it in its full glory at the local Best Buy. I feel like a hormone raged teenager who got a first glimpse of b**bs and can't stop thinking about it. :D This TV is miles ahead of anything else on the market.

Thanks!

Mounting is fine. It’s not all that fragile and the mounting screws attach to the thicker part at the bottom of the tv

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mines hooked up to my PC I always used Full on previous PC's also. I haven't read anything over the years indicating Limited would be better then Full.
Because all video content is in 4:2:0 Limited (even most HDR) (some satellites feeds are in 4:2:2 but even there Color range : Limited can be seen in mediainfo). Some titles in HDR are in Full. And thus -- if calibration is bad and different -- low can be even better. But when you are gaming or doing video or photo editing -- then it is important, because they use 4:4:4 Full.

·
Registered
674 Posts

Only 5 years. Purchased in early '15. It is a stellar set except when it is turned off and you get that wavy gravy effect on the glass. LOL...

·
Registered
365 Posts

However, what bothers me the most is how fragile it felt (and is) when I saw it at BB. I do plan on wall mounting it and my kids are teenagers (no young children in home, no pets). It will be about 40-45 inches off the floor (bottom of TV). It is SO THIN that I worry that I am going to crack it or something trying to mount it. /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

How worried should I be? I can't stop thinking about this TV ever since I saw it in its full glory at the local Best Buy. I feel like a hormone raged teenager who got a first glimpse of b**bs and can't stop thinking about it. /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif This TV is miles ahead of anything else on the market.

Thanks!
If you do mostly nighttime watching, put in a JVC 4K projector instead. I have both the C9 and JVC N7. The N7 wins when it comes to immersion. No contest.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One quick question, for those who use the C9 with PC (in PC mode), should we use RGB Full or RGB Limited? With an NVIDIA graphics card.

In my case RGB full has banding compared to RGB limited, or ycbcr 444, with ycbcr 8 bit being best, this is with PC input disabled, pc mode is overall worse but of course no 444 chroma without it.

Game mode also has somewhat worse banding than ISF/technicolour expert.

On another note guys should I trust my i1d3 pro with the woled correction in displaycal it says warm 2 is 6650k with 0.3dE, or should I trust my 2 PC monitor which one of them has a spectral correction file made with a spectraval 1511 with the other visually matched, in my opinion the monitors have a much more correct white/grey balance with zero tinting, and when I compare warm 1 on C9 is actually closer to my reference display even if it's too blueish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some more questions....

I have a Denon x6400h receiver that has E-Arc. So I have my Xbox One X in HDMI1, my Gaming PC in HDMI3. My receiver is in HDMI 2 (Arc). My PS4, Direct TV and Samsung 4k Blu Ray Player is hooked up to the receiver. Everything works fine, but the TV when I switch to the Receiver automatically always turns on my PS4. How can I stop it from doing that. I mainly am on the Xbox or the PC so I have TV Audio from the receiver and get my Dolby Atmos from the Xbox no problem (thank you e-Arc). But when I do switch to the Receiver to watch a 4k Movie it automatically turns on the PS4. Just need to know how to stop it from doing that.

Outside of that...any other suggestions/tips for the C9 for a new owner? I have had the set for 24 hours now and still figuring out the menus and stuff so any "advice for new owners" would be welcomed.
I think this is a PS4 issue. There should be a setting in the ps4 for hdmi device link or hdmi cec. If you turn it off, it should stop turning on the ps4.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Only 5 years. Purchased in early '15. It is a stellar set except when it is turned off and you get that wavy gravy effect on the glass. LOL...
I don't like that either. I didn't have it on my Kuro.

Even though my eyes cannot notice it during actual use with content, when it's off and I see reflections on the panel, it makes me cringe.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't like that either. I didn't have it on my Kuro.

Even though my eyes cannot notice it during actual use with content, when it's off and I see reflections on the panel, it makes me cringe.

Me 2... and was amazed that you did NOT see it at all while viewing content.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So I ended up getting a 77" C9 after comparing other solutions such as a bigger "premium" LCD Panel and a projector.... So glad I did in the end, as there is nothing quality wise that distracts me from the viewing experience, while still having that home cinema immersion feel.

I was afraid it wouldn't be as good as my 2018 55" Panasonic FZ950, but it is better in every way. Better handling of dark scenes, brighter, and a more uniform panel.

I measured 480nits on a 10% with peak luminance turned off, and 850nits with peak luminance on high. I think Medium provides a good balance between colour accuracy and HDR "punch".

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I like both Sony A9G and LG E9 TVs but not sure which to get I currently have the Sony Z9D. And buying a different TV. I mostly watch 4k and 1080p movies (no cable at all) I also sometimes play games on my tv when I connect my PC hdmi to the tv so i can play with better sound system but i have a monitor i mostly play on. So what do you guys think. Sony A9G or LG E9

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I like both Sony A9G and LG E9 TVs but not sure which to get I currently have the Sony Z9D. And buying a different TV. I mostly watch 4k and 1080p movies (no cable at all) I also sometimes play games on my tv when I connect my PC hdmi to the tv so i can play with better sound system but i have a monitor i mostly play on. So what do you guys think. Sony A9G or LG E9
i would say e9 because it has hdmi 2.1 or wait for the next generation of sony with hdmi 2.1

11561 - 11580 of 16017 Posts