AVS Forum banner

12281 - 12300 of 16052 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi. A quick question: Can I use a "simulated sine wave" UPS with my C9 77" TV safely or this tv require a pure sine wave UPS? Thank you!
I'm using my C9 without issue with a Cyberpower 1350PFCLCD, but that's definitely a pure sine wave UPS. I had major issues with a simulated sine wave UPS years ago in my setup since it didn't play well with my consoles nor my HTPC (though my Pioneer Kuro didn't seem to mind it), so I invested in the pure sine wave UPS.

I'm not sure about the possibility of damage from a simulated sine wave UPS (basically a square wave or a modified square wave output).

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I don't have a single thing Apple and never have. Does the $4.99 per month allow you access to everything that is on Apple TV, or does some content require additional fees?

Just trying to see if there are any catches in the fine print.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Is it still advisable to disable tcp in the service menu? Flatpanelshd say their long dark test scenes no longer get dimmer over time on their c9 and rtings tell me they don’t recommend doing so although they haven’t tried it themselves.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I don't have a single thing Apple and never have. Does the $4.99 per month allow you access to everything that is on Apple TV, or does some content require additional fees?

It’s important to distinguish between Apple TV+ and the Apple TV app. Apple TV+ is the subscription tv service which contains a small number (albeit growing) of original tv shows. The Apple TV app is your vehicle for watching this as well as any iTunes movies you choose to purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
860 Posts
Some initial observations on the Apple TV app on my (self) calibrated C9.

Signing in is seamless, extremely quick, and the user interface is very intuitive as it mirrors the Apple TV app on the ATV4K. Navigation is also very quick, as does content loading and beginning playback.

Image quality is exceptional, especially with Dolby Vision content. In fact, Dolby Vision using the WebOS Apple TV app trumps that of the ATV4K as it does not exhibit raised blacks. Brightness 50 gives perfect inky blacks the same way other internal apps do, and DV UHD Blu Ray do played back from my Panasonic DP-UB820. This points to the fact the ATV raised blacks issue isn't a problem with iTunes/Apple DV content, but with the way DV is handled and delivered with the ATV4K as I have previously said many times before.

As noted above by other users, the WebOS Apple TV app currently does not support Atmos audio. Hopefully this will be added either in an app update, or a server side update some time in the future.

Some menu screens exhibit some severe colour banding. This reminds me of earlier releases of the Amazon app (back on the C7 for example) where it looks as if your TV is malfunctioning or that you have a faulty panel. I can confirm with my calibrated set, using verified accurate greyscale ramps, colour ramps and colour tunnel patterns that my panel does not suffer from any form of colour banding at all. So to put everyone's mind at ease, if you do see this colour banding, it is not your panel.

If Atmos audio is added at a later date, this is going to be one hell of an app and will make the ATV4K completely redundant for me on the C9 and will be retired to the bedroom on the C7. Here in the UK, the availability of apps available for TVOS are nowhere near that of across the pond, and as far as streaming goes, I only use Netflix, Amazon, Google Play Movies and iTunes, all of which now have their own native app on WebOS.

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
I also installed the Apple TV app and found that this is the first time all my TV Shows are showing up in the app outside of the Apple TV 4K device itself. Only two of my TV shows have appeared in the app using other devices like the Fire TV or the Roku. :)

·
Vendor
26,626 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I'm using my C9 without issue with a Cyberpower 1350PFCLCD, but that's definitely a pure sine wave UPS. I had major issues with a simulated sine wave UPS years ago in my setup since it didn't play well with my consoles nor my HTPC (though my Pioneer Kuro didn't seem to mind it), so I invested in the pure sine wave UPS.

I'm not sure about the possibility of damage from a simulated sine wave UPS (basically a square wave or a modified square wave output).
High efficiency power supplies with power factor correction can get confused by power input that isn't smooth enough. I have one desktop PC that will make buzzing noises from the power supply if you connect it to a UPS that isn't close enough to a pure sine wave because it is constantly trying to compensate for what it thinks is an input voltage problem. I would be very surprised if the power supply in a TV was anywhere near high enough efficiency to care.

I don't think any UPS outputs a square wave (although maybe some really cheap ones do), but certainly a sine wave shaped stair case with a few steps.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Some initial observations on the Apple TV app on my (self) calibrated C9.

Signing in is seamless, extremely quick, and the user interface is very intuitive as it mirrors the Apple TV app on the ATV4K. Navigation is also very quick, as does content loading and beginning playback.

Image quality is exceptional, especially with Dolby Vision content. In fact, Dolby Vision using the WebOS Apple TV app trumps that of the ATV4K as it does not exhibit raised blacks. Brightness 50 gives perfect inky blacks the same way other internal apps do, and DV UHD Blu Ray do played back from my Panasonic DP-UB820. This points to the fact the ATV raised blacks issue isn't a problem with iTunes/Apple DV content, but with the way DV is handled and delivered with the ATV4K as I have previously said many times before.

As noted above by other users, the WebOS Apple TV app currently does not support Atmos audio. Hopefully this will be added either in an app update, or a server side update some time in the future.

Some menu screens exhibit some severe colour banding. This reminds me of earlier releases of the Amazon app (back on the C7 for example) where it looks as if your TV is malfunctioning or that you have a faulty panel. I can confirm with my calibrated set, using verified accurate greyscale ramps, colour ramps and colour tunnel patterns that my panel does not suffer from any form of colour banding at all. So to put everyone's mind at ease, if you do see this colour banding, it is not your panel.

If Atmos audio is added at a later date, this is going to be one hell of an app and will make the ATV4K completely redundant for me on the C9 and will be retired to the bedroom on the C7. Here in the UK, the availability of apps available for TVOS are nowhere near that of across the pond, and as far as streaming goes, I only use Netflix, Amazon, Google Play Movies and iTunes, all of which now have their own native app on WebOS.

Does the app output Dolby Digital, or Dolby Digital Plus for what otherwise would be Atmos content?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Does the app output Dolby Digital, or Dolby Digital Plus for what otherwise would be Atmos content?
Playback of content that outputs as Atmos when using the ATV4K is reporting DD+ on my 2018 Denon AVR-X3500H.

It is not an AVR or ARC/eARC limitation as the exact same configuration outputs Atmos with all other Atmos enabled built in Apps, which suggests it is definitely a current Apple TV App limitation.

But it has to be said, using the Denon with DD+ and the Dolby Surround upmixer enabled to give a faux Atmos effect works very well as a compromise for now.

·
Registered
89 Posts

It includes most of the important things from Apple such as their movie productions, movie purchases and rentals in HDR for $6.00 per rental, and other general content. The only down side for now, unlike the ATV4k, is no Dolby Atmos, just DD+.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Watched Hereditary today on my c9 and noticed asbl dimming in at least 2 long dark scenes. LG apparently haven’t tried fixing this yet,

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Checked out the Apple app last night... installed fine and after signing in I was able to browse the content. There is a lot of 4K. It looks (to me) like there is more 4K than with Amazon and Netflix, but that's just a guess. I did see that Terminator and Joker are in 4K. I don't recall seeing them listed as 4K with Amazon.

I don't have, and won't be getting ATV+, so I was not able to access that.

Atmos is a who cares for me, even with an Atmos sound bar (LOL).

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Watched Hereditary today on my c9 and noticed asbl dimming in at least 2 long dark scenes. LG apparently haven’t tried fixing this yet,

Turn it off with a service remote. I have no regrets whatsoever.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Checked out the Apple app last night... installed fine and after signing in I was able to browse the content. There is a lot of 4K. It looks (to me) like there is more 4K than with Amazon and Netflix, but that's just a guess. I did see that Terminator and Joker are in 4K. I don't recall seeing them listed as 4K with Amazon.
You sound surprised, why's that? The iTunes Store does indeed have a lot of 4K content even with Dolby Vision. Plus the quality is usually better compared to Netflix and Amazon Prime since Apple uses about double the video bitrate. However, none of the content is free and you usually have to pay around $10 for a blockbuster movie.

None of this is news, you could play any iTunes video via AirPlay 2 before in the same quality as you get it now via the AppleTV app. Dolby Atmos didn't / doesn't work via AirPlay 2 either btw.
The only real new thing is that you can now buy iTunes content directly via your LG TV. And, of course, you no longer have to use a controlling iOS/MacOS device to start playing content.

·
Registered
425 Posts
just bought a 65 C9 this morning and it will be arriving tomorrow...I am upgrading from a 55eg9100 ...Will I have that "WOW" factor I originally had when I first experienced OLED technology when i bought the 55eg9100 a couple years ago?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Amazon & fox sports app working great

LG C9, C8, C6 - AVR Pioneer SC-LX502 - Xbox One X, S - PS4 Pro & Nintendo Switch
I watched it using the Fox App on Apple TV with the 77” B9 and thought it was marginal. Some of that was due to the B9.

The B9 appears to have logo luminance on by default. It created shadows around the score on the lower screen and the Fox logo on the top left. I didn’t figure out until today that LG did that.

With Dolby Vision on, the picture wasn’t as sharp and the reds were pronounced. The 49er jerseys jumped out while other colors did not. With Dolby Vision off, the picture was more detailed, but the reds were nasty and I didn’t have time to work on that.

Overall with Dolby Vision the B9 had a more subdued PQ. Excellent blacks but not as life like. I prefer my 65” B8.

My guess is I should have ponied up for the C9.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I also installed the Apple TV app and found that this is the first time all my TV Shows are showing up in the app outside of the Apple TV 4K device itself. Only two of my TV shows have appeared in the app using other devices like the Fire TV or the Roku. :)
Where is the ATV app? I'm looking under New and Hot and nothing. The newest listed is CBS All Access. I'm on 4.71.05 and say this is the latest.

12281 - 12300 of 16052 Posts