AVS Forum banner

12301 - 12320 of 16052 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Playback of content that outputs as Atmos when using the ATV4K is reporting DD+ on my 2018 Denon AVR-X3500H.

It is not an AVR or ARC/eARC limitation as the exact same configuration outputs Atmos with all other Atmos enabled built in Apps, which suggests it is definitely a current Apple TV App limitation.

But it has to be said, using the Denon with DD+ and the Dolby Surround upmixer enabled to give a faux Atmos effect works very well as a compromise for now.

Are you sure you’re getting DD+? I’m only seeing regular DD, with my C9 and Denon X4500H. Is the “+” your seeing on the display just from the fact that you’re using the Dolby surround up mixer as well? I.E. DD + DSur vs. DD+ + DSur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,303
just bought a 65 C9 this morning and it will be arriving tomorrow...I am upgrading from a 55eg9100 ...Will I have that "WOW" factor I originally had when I first experienced OLED technology when i bought the 55eg9100 a couple years ago?

Watch the first 15 mins of John Wick 2 in Dolby Vision...

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I had to manually search for it, to find it.

Got it THX. Search didn't work but....I had to actually pick a show to watch and then select Apple TV. It then brought up the install screen. Guess it is still sorta hidden or beta for LG.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Got it THX. Search didn't work but....I had to actually pick a show to watch and then select Apple TV. It then brought up the install screen. Guess it is still sorta hidden or beta for LG.
I accidentally factory reset my TV. It was sitting on my home bar after that.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
I watched it using the Fox App on Apple TV with the 77” B9 and thought it was marginal. Some of that was due to the B9.

The B9 appears to have logo luminance on by default. It created shadows around the score on the lower screen and the Fox logo on the top left. I didn’t figure out until today that LG did that.

With Dolby Vision on, the picture wasn’t as sharp and the reds were pronounced. The 49er jerseys jumped out while other colors did not. With Dolby Vision off, the picture was more detailed, but the reds were nasty and I didn’t have time to work on that.

Overall with Dolby Vision the B9 had a more subdued PQ. Excellent blacks but not as life like. I prefer my 65” B8.

My guess is I should have ponied up for the C9.
There isn’t a 77” B9, only 65 and 55 inch screens :confused:

Reactions: Cam1977

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
^yeah their is...I think it was released a few months ago...its on BB website!

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
If you have content you purchased from Xfinity, Apple, Xbox among some other sources you can watch the content using Moviesanywhere. You just link your accounts in the app. Purchases from Xfinity should show on the Apple TV+ and vice versa. If this helps anyone.

Reactions: Smigro

·
Registered
464 Posts
Watched Hereditary today on my c9 and noticed asbl dimming in at least 2 long dark scenes. LG apparently haven’️t tried fixing this yet,

Turn it off with a service remote. I have no regrets whatsoever.
Do u know a way to access service menu with an iphone? Or I need to buy a separate remote like the one in the picture?

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Is there any way I can make the menu less bright? I like a dim screen, then when I hit the settings button, or home button, the icons get super bright.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Are you sure you’re getting DD+? I’m only seeing regular DD, with my C9 and Denon X4500H. Is the “+” your seeing on the display just from the fact that you’re using the Dolby surround up mixer as well? I.E. DD + DSur vs. DD+ + DSur

So I just rechecked, and what you say correct in some content, but not on others.

Yesterday I watched 2 episodes of SEE, the Apple Original show, and what you say was correct, I must have misread the display on my Denon and have just replayed one of those episodes and only see the AVR receiving DD. So for that, I apologise, as I have previously incorrectly said it was outputting DD+.

But I also watched Rocketman last night, so I thought I would recheck that also. With this movie, my AVR is definitely reporting that it is receiving DD+.

I have also checked and double checked using the iOS Denon AVR Remote App on my iPhone XS

Looking further into the More Info screens of the two above examples within the Apple TV App.....

SEE is listed here as having AAC, DD 5.1, Dolby Atmos for audio output.

Rocketman is listed as having DD+ 7.1, AAC, DD 5.1, Dolby Atmos for audio output.

This is definitely what I am seeing here in my setup

·
Registered
860 Posts
iPhone does not have an IR emitter.
That is fine; not required.
So there’s a way to use the iphone?
I think what he meant is that the IR emitter is not required.

I haven’t found a way with an iPhone to enter the service menu yet. It may be possible with the Sure Universal Remote App which uses commands over IP, but I gave up on that as it is extremely limited in functionality over the Android version of the same app. With this in mind, I highly doubt it.

Various Android Apps allow access to the service menus either with IR or IP control though.

Failing that, an LG service remote, or many programmable remotes work fine, such as a Harmony.

Again, I add my cautionary disclaimer that entering the service menu is done at your own risk!!!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
You sound surprised, why's that? The iTunes Store does indeed have a lot of 4K content even with Dolby Vision. Plus the quality is usually better compared to Netflix and Amazon Prime since Apple uses about double the video bitrate. However, none of the content is free and you usually have to pay around $10 for a blockbuster movie.

None of this is news, you could play any iTunes video via AirPlay 2 before in the same quality as you get it now via the AppleTV app. Dolby Atmos didn't / doesn't work via AirPlay 2 either btw.
The only real new thing is that you can now buy iTunes content directly via your LG TV. And, of course, you no longer have to use a controlling iOS/MacOS device to start playing content.
I was surprised. I stopped using ATV years ago. And AirPlay2 is "less than stellar" - it works, but that's the best thing I can say about it. I'm not a content junkie, so Netflix and Amazon + plain ol' cable is more than enough for me.

But, I really do like seeing the selection on the ATV app... so, maybe I am a content junkie after all :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think what he meant is that the IR emitter is not required.

I haven’t found a way with an iPhone to enter the service menu yet. It may be possible with the Sure Universal Remote App which uses commands over IP, but I gave up on that as it is extremely limited in functionality over the Android version of the same app. With this in mind, I highly doubt it.

Various Android Apps allow access to the service menus either with IR or IP control though.

Failing that, an LG service remote, or many programmable remotes work fine, such as a Harmony.

Again, I add my cautionary disclaimer that entering the service menu is done at your own risk!!!
Curious why so many folks are interested in accessing the service menu. There isn't all that much that can (or should) be performed in the service menu, other than disabling the auto brightness limiter which is only meant to be disabled during calibration. I mean, it isn't like my old Samsung KS9800 where there were hidden picture modes that could be activated. I further understand that because the European models do not display usage data (like the US model does via the user interface, non-service menu). So again, outside of those two items, what is the point/rationale from wanting to access the service menu?

12301 - 12320 of 16052 Posts