AVS Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 16099 Posts

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Does anybody know where I should set peak luminance at for sdr content to me medium looks best but I’m worried about it affecting burn in also this tv has great uniformity seems like the uniformity on these lords Sony and lg both has gotten way way better

I would never enable that for SDR. I mean the panel will do 280 nits without it turned on. That’s plenty bright for most people unless it’s an extremely bright room with a ton of windows.

Enabling that setting essentially puts the TV into HDR panel mode (White Boost)

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
I could buy a C7 that doesn't suffer from the a firmware-induced color banding issue. I'm not asking about typical "problems" of a particular display technology, but of a problem that was introduced that shouldn't be there. A FW change making something worse shows that the actual display tech doesn't have a limitation or a problem. Prior the the .31 FW, color banding and black crush wasn't as severe based on reports on the C8. I'm just asking if the C9 color banding and black crush is also being adversely affected like the C8 post .31 firmware.
There are many who made the firmware upgrade and have no issues.....

Since the 2019 sets recently came out, none yet. Every oled has some degree of tinting and banding. You have to make a judgement call on every set based on testing or you would have to send them all back since none are perfect. The 55s are usually less problematic than then 65s and the panels have improved over the years but they still have the basic oled screen uniformity limitations.
That is it right there, every set has it to some degree as you noted. Now it is a matter of what a person thinks, only one person who should make that judgement call, the end user...

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's not a caveat, it's your setup, the LG can absolutely do 4K 120hz progressive scan

Thanks for testing anway, what vid card do you have?

There is no video card (or device) on the market that can output 4K 120hz through hdmi2.1 yet anyway. We will limited to downloaded videos playing off the tv for a while.

I used a GTX 1080ti in a Graphics Amplifier. I have an RTX 2080ti (NVidia Founders Edition) still in the box because the production 3D software I use doesn't support it, yet. (Beta software supports it, but I don't want to test stuff.)

For the record, I was testing because some folks wanted to know. Refresh rates don't really matter to me that much because I don't game.

Scott

·
Registered
48 Posts
C8 could handle 4k 120hz through internal apps, the test some people wanted was if the c9 was doing 4k 120hz from a graphics card. A custom resolution in a graphics control panel of 4k/2160p at 120hz with 4:2:0/8 bit chroma can work from a current hdmi 2.0 graphics card if the display supports processing it. Samsung's q90r can handle it , some people tested it.

In the software I was asked to use, I was unable to select progressive scan and I saw no setting for 4:2:0 or 4:2:2. In the Nvidia software I saw no settings, either. Windows? Well, at 2160i, I had no options whatsoever. Usually, I get the option to scale the display to 250 percent so the display is readable (note the really small icons and the small window for the app).

I'm willing to do this again if someone can tell me what to use to get progressive scan--if it's possible from my GTX 1080ti.

Scott

·
Registered
263 Posts
I used a GTX 1080ti in a Graphics Amplifier. I have an RTX 2080ti (NVidia Founders Edition) still in the box because the production 3D software I use doesn't support it, yet. (Beta software supports it, but I don't want to test stuff.)

For the record, I was testing because some folks wanted to know. Refresh rates don't really matter to me that much because I don't game.

Scott
Yep i'm one of the ones who wanted to know all about 4k120, thanks for your testing.

The LG 55" C9 is amazing, i want one badly heh.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Damn, coming from two Samsung sets with One Connect Box, wall mounting my C9 was hard ! It’s also a total nonsense to have a non removable power cable with a huge plug.

Well, now that is set up I’m really happy with it. I took some shots that I’ll post once I’m able to.

I have my first question : is it normal that Xbox one X interface is really blurry text wise ? I have checked twice and it’s set in 4K but looks almost like 720p. On my PS4 pro interface everything is crisp.

Xbox One X on my Samsung KS8000 and Q90 never appeared blurry so I tend to think the problem comes from my C9.

In games though it depends, Forea Horizon 4 looks fantastic and identical to my previous sets while Ori also seems to be in lower resolution (especially the text of the narrator in the beginning).

I tried messing with picture settings without success. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it confirmed the 2019 LG OLED's can do 2560x1440 at 120 Hz when sent a signal from a HDMI 2.0x video card? And BFI also works?
Hi. Yes when testing why my Xbox One X interface was blurry I disabled 4K and it has automatically switched to 1440p 120Hz. While it’s not a graphic card it’s not HDMI 2.1 for sure

I didn’t tried BFI with it though.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
No issues with my Xbox One x. You know that the dashboard doesn’t run in 4k right? Google it but I think the dashboard is only 1080p or something but of course some games output 4k. Obviously the console sends out everything as 4k if you check your C9 input but I’m pretty sure it they did not render a true 4k dashboard.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
LG absolutely knows but given the cost of the set and technology only so much can be done. Sony for example is more expensive and usually the quality control is somewhat better and it has a different filter. Not that you can’t get a bad Sony panel but i personally see less uniformity issues. But I can say once you get an acceptable panel even though it will have some imperfections, the oled picture quality is so good overall you start enjoying the content and stop noticing the uniformity issues as long as they are minor.
Which different filter is that, are you referring to sony's oled here, unless the manufcturer uses a custom oled panel which sony doesn't, it is the same panel from lg display that is on the lg oled. Reason you see less people being vocal about sony panel uniformity issues is because lg oleds outsell sony by greater than 2:1. Since the uniformity issues are panel related, the quality control is upon lg display.
This is not correct. We are referring to the anti reflective (ar) filter. Sony and LG use their own filters that are applied by them, they’re not the same.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
This is not correct. We are referring to the anti reflective (ar) filter. Sony and LG use their own filters that are applied by them, they’re not the same.
Off-topic: if there's any anti-reflective filter on the Sony, it's useless in a bright room. Hopefully the E9 has a better anti reflective. Will find out in a few weeks.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
These panels are sourced from the same vendor, where does sony use their own filters, i created a thread about this some time back and the answers i got was they are the same panel and ar filter unless a manufacturer is using a custom panel, sony does not. when i have compared lg and sony oleds, certainly nothing different i have seen far as anti reflection goes. if you have a link that says a a8f or a9f uses a sony AR filter , i would like to see it. Besides, the original point i was making was about uniformity issues like banding, which are an issue at the panel manufacturing level.

Edit: From the rtings review of the c8 and a9f, they do a 'reflections' section for the tv's and post some measurements
LG C8:
Screen Finish : Glossy
Total Reflections : 1.3 %
Indirect Reflections: 0.1 %
Sony A9F:
Indirect Reflections : 0.1 %
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8-oled
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a9f-oled

If sony was using custom AR filters, that should lead to some measurable differences in the reflection handling wont it? From rtings measurements they appear the same.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Freesync (VRR) should be supported on my 1080ti. Testing it is going to be a different story as I don't game and have no games.
Nvidia GPUs are not useful for doing this test because they only support Freesync over their DisplayPort connections.

We need to be a little more precise in our terminology when talking about adaptive sync technologies. Freesync, HDMI 2.1 VRR, and Gsync are 3 different standards, so we shouldn't talk about them as if they are synonymous.

Adaptive sync appears to work on the 9-series when used with the XB1X, but we do not know if it is using Freesync or HDMI 2.1 VRR to achieve this, since Microsoft has said they would support both standards. The French website Les Numeriques had posted something earlier saying that LG had told them the 9-series would only support HDMI 2.1 VRR and not Freesync. The reason people are asking for a test using an AMD GPU is because those GPUs only support Freesync, and it works over HDMI, so they could be used to confirm or refute the report.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
These panels are sourced from the same vendor, where does sony use their own filters, i created a thread about this some time back and the answers i got was they are the same panel and ar filter unless a manufacturer is using a custom panel, sony does not. when i have compared lg and sony oleds, certainly nothing different i have seen far as anti reflection goes. if you have a link that says a a8f or a9f uses a sony AR filter , i would like to see it. Besides, the original point i was making was about uniformity issues like banding, which are an issue at the panel manufacturing level.

Edit: From the rtings review of the c8 and a9f, they do a 'reflections' section for the tv's and post some measurements
LG C8:
Sony A9F:

If sony was using custom AR filters, that should lead to some measurable differences in the reflection handling wont it? From rtings measurements they appear the same.
There’s certainly a different filter on the Sony vs. LG. A9F looks dark black when it’s turned off and my B6 is magenta, but that was a few years old model. I’ll compare once my E9 arrives.

The A9F that I saw at store a few days ago was as reflective as Sony’s Z9F and 950G next to it. I keep my A9F in a dark space, thus no reflection.

·
Registered
6,629 Posts

LG C8:
Sony A9F:

Maybe from their testing the filters measure the same but if you look at the two sets side by side you can see they look slightly different with the sets Off. We also got confirmation right from Sony on this one.

Confirming Rtings measurements, I have to agree I don't see any difference in reflectivity to my eye at least on the 2019 sets. For the 2016-2018 the LGs have that slight magenta tint with the panel off where the Sony is black. The 2019s look basically the same as the Sony A9Fs. Again this is non-scientific, just an observation.

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
There are many who made the firmware upgrade and have no issues.....

That is it right there, every set has it to some degree as you noted. Now it is a matter of what a person thinks, only one person who should make that judgement call, the end user...
Correct but what I meant, when we calibrate the sets at the store, we have to make a judgement call based on several criteria to determine if the panel is "acceptable" meaning no or non-significant uniformity problems with "standard" content. If we see any sets with "significant" banding and or tinting or if it's out of specification, meaning it's plainly visible with content, it goes back to the manufacturer. Now all this said, every OLED has some uniformity issues, so if you look hard enough and keep looking while watching content, you will see it, especially with Sports like hockey or very dark movies like Arrival. If you want an OLED, as you said, you have to take the good with the not so good. LCDs have their issues as well.

Reactions: anwsmh
1361 - 1380 of 16099 Posts