AVS Forum banner

1381 - 1400 of 16056 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Someone said 65” typically has more banding than 55”. Does that mean 77” has worse banding than 65”? Was planning on moving to a 77” this year but my number one complaint is banding on my 65”. It’s pretty bad imo and nearly every movie i watch has 2 visible bands at least 3-4 times throughout the movie.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Someone said 65” typically has more banding than 55”. Does that mean 77” has worse banding than 65”? Was planning on moving to a 77” this year but my number one complaint is banding on my 65”. It’s pretty bad imo and nearly every movie i watch has 2 visible bands at least 3-4 times throughout the movie.
It's very hard to say. Typically the 55's I see usually have less issues than the larger panels but I've seen many "good" 77 inch panels so i'm sure you will be fine.

·
Vendor
26,667 Posts
There have been no tests done in this area....random screen shots of grey scales in not saying much. Every TV has uniformity issues so it is what it is.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
The good: "Where the OLED65C9 does clearly improve on any previous LG OLED TV, though, is with its handling of near-black image content. "

The bad: "LG hasn’t fully fixed the exaggerated macro-blocking problem with certain standard dynamic range streamed content that became an issue on 2018’s TVs (as reported here). "

and: "The flashing problem as the set transitions between subtle dark color shifts seen on 2018 models is also still there, albeit in reduced and rarer form."

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
The good: "Where the OLED65C9 does clearly improve on any previous LG OLED TV, though, is with its handling of near-black image content. "

The bad: "LG hasn’t fully fixed the exaggerated macro-blocking problem with certain standard dynamic range streamed content that became an issue on 2018’s TVs (as reported here). "

and: "The flashing problem as the set transitions between subtle dark color shifts seen on 2018 models is also still there, albeit in reduced and rarer form."
I have not witnessed either of those 2 things so 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nope. GSYNC compatibility only works via DisplayPort, not HDMI.

I know. That's why I'm using a cable that adapts DisplayPort to HDMI. You'll also note that I stated early on that I was going to use a DisplayPort on my 1080ti. So, I guess I'm done with this. Y'all take care.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,392
It’s interesting that LG in Germany lists HDMI 2.1 but here in the states no mention. Also HFR: 4K: via USB and HDMI (via update during the year) / 2K: via USB and HDMI and HEVC (4K @ 120P, 10bit), VP9 (4K @ 120P, 10bit)

https://www.lg.com/de/tv/lg-OLED65C9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: onesolo

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thanks to John Archer for pointing that out as that completely rules out upgrading to a C9 for me.
As a dark room watcher I'm very much allergic to the near-black overshoot and have learned to detect it immediately even if it only shows up rarely and in a very subtle form after the 04.0.31 firmware on my C8.
It's at a point where just a tiny bit of ambient light is enough to not see it and I think most people would just not notice but I just love the 'floating picture surrounded by darkness viewing experience' and this somewhat ruins that.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Thanks to John Archer for pointing that out as that completely rules out upgrading to a C9 for me.
As a dark room watcher I'm very much allergic to the near-black overshoot and have learned to detect it immediately even if it only shows up rarely and in a very subtle form after the 04.0.31 firmware on my C8.
It's at a point where just a tiny bit of ambient light is enough to not see it and I think most people would just not notice but I just love the 'floating picture surrounded by darkness viewing experience' and this somewhat ruins that.
He must have picked the worst torture test because I’ve yet to see any of that.

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
Yeah, you and me both.

The macroblocking issue is not really a problem for me because I only care about high-quality content.

But flashing/overshoots that are noticable, even if only occassionally, are a showstopper for me so I'll be waiting for LG to 100% address this issue before upgrading.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
^and so the current owners who havent seen it dont count...lol I dont think yoi will ever upgrade and waiting for something of a unicorn.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Like I said on my C8 after the .31 update it's very subtle and I expect most people to not notice it especially if their viewing environment isn't completely dark. It's not like macroblocks brightly flashing up like it was before. More like subtle flicker within the near-blacks in some scenes and pausing the picture those near-blacks will get darker so it's like subtle dithered near-black overshoot that I see and while this isn't terrible it's enough of a reason for me to not buy another TV that has this issue.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,398 (Edited)

I’m running the latest firmware and ran that square flashing test last week and didn’t notice anything unusual. It’s a non-issue for me.

ALSO, John also said he has syncing issues w/ his Xbox. It’s worked perfectly for me every time I’ve turned on my X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
^and thats what counts owner feedback...not Archers.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Well it seems that just like last year, panel variability, viewing environment and individual perception are significant factors in the severity of this issue for each viewer. I'm pretty disappointed that they seemingly haven't addressed the fundamental problem at the hardware level with the new models, though. It's an extra facet of the panel lottery that I really wanted to avoid this year.

1381 - 1400 of 16056 Posts