AVS Forum banner

14261 - 14280 of 16070 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just bought C9. Can’t get tv to stay on HDMI 2. When watching Netflix or the DVD player then on universal remote hit ‘Sat’ to watch Direct TV, it keeps showing tv as HDMI 1 when it’s plugged into tv HDMI 2 from Denon; tv states ‘No Signal, etc’. On my previous C6, when I was trouble-shooting an issue and would switch the hdmi cable into tv between hdmi 1 or 2, when I’d hit ‘Sat’ on remote, I would get Direct TV no problems. I’d go into the C6 input screen and select the appropriate hdmi and then I wouldn’t have to mess with it. On this C9, I have to go into the C9 inputs and select hdmi 2 as it defaults to hdmi 1 every time I switch from watching tv apps or bluray player back to Sat. Can anyone help? Thx
Nada, Noteeng, Niet, Nista, Rien, Niekas???

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've never owned one. I want one but I'm terrified that it won't be bright enough.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Your concern is valid and your interest in the set is real.
Why not purchase one from a place with a good return policy?

We can all give you our opinions, but in the end, this is the only SURE way for you to be able to settle your questions and concerns. If you like it, great. If you never buy one again, you will know exactly why.

I DO think this tv is so nice, that it might (for you), be worth this hassle and effort.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Nada, Noteeng, Niet, Nista, Rien, Niekas???
In order to answer your question, please explain what hardware you have, connected in what order, HDMI cable length(s) and type(s), whether you are using eARC/ARC, and anything else that you think would be helpful.

With that said, what you describe sounds like 1) you have your Direct TV box and/or DVD player connected to your C9 through HDMI, but have not CONNECTed in the C9 Settings menu your devices, or 2) you have your Direct TV box and/or DVD player connected to your Denon AVR. If #2 , your C9 will see one device or the other but not both. You can still play both but must use your Denon remote to select which port to connect to.

You will be very pleased with the proper outcome.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I picked up a 65" C9 from my local Best Buy, on account of their Open-Box pricing. The back of the set has a dent in it at the top, that is slightly evident from the top/front of the panel, but provides no alteration to the picture.

If it weren't for the price (which I will not discuss), I would have walked away. I didn't get to check the hours in the store, as I didn't know how, but I did once I got home.

2,448 runtime hours, with no signs of burn-in.

That's a lot. I did purchase a 2-year Geek Squad warranty on it, but Rtings' burn-in test gives me hope that I shouldn't expect any issues for however long I intend on keeping the set.

However, it's hard not to flip-flop between "keep it" and "take it back." For the more knowledgeable about this set, what say you?

I'm coming from a Vizio P65-C1, which I maintain still has a fantastic picture, but it simply cannot compete against that OLED black.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I picked up a 65" C9 from my local Best Buy, on account of their Open-Box pricing. The back of the set has a dent in it at the top, that is slightly evident from the top/front of the panel, but provides no alteration to the picture.

If it weren't for the price (which I will not discuss), I would have walked away. I didn't get to check the hours in the store, as I didn't know how, but I did once I got home.

That's a lot. I did purchase a 2-year Geek Squad warranty on it, but Rtings' burn-in test gives me hope that I shouldn't expect any issues for however long I intend on keeping the set.

However, it's hard not to flip-flop between "keep it" and "take it back." For the more knowledgeable about this set, what say you?

I'm coming from a Vizio P65-C1, which I maintain still has a fantastic picture, but it simply cannot compete against that OLED black.
I picked up a 77" C9 that way as well. I really struggled a bit with the ~3500 hours on this one and whether or not to return it. There is no burn-in evident on mine and a pretty good panel. My assumption was that the LG rep wouldn't let them leave up a panel with bad tinting or banding. Ultimately decided I will keep it. Some in the deals forum got sets with over 6000 hours on them (I assume they didn't set the on/off timers at the store and they ran 24/7) and they aren't finding any burn-in.

I didn't get the warranty. Never buy them but strongly considered it with my OLED 'fear'. Ultimately will take my chances with LG if I have a problem.

I'm not sure I can go back to an LCD now. Even though my wife can't watch TV in a totally dark room, this is still excellent minus the occasional up-scaling issue. I'll probably buy another when the next panel generation comes out and proves itself and fully expect at the moment to be able to sell this one at that time.

Reactions: gamermwm

·
Registered
262 Posts
In order to answer your question, please explain what hardware you have, connected in what order, HDMI cable length(s) and type(s), whether you are using eARC/ARC, and anything else that you think would be helpful.

With that said, what you describe sounds like 1) you have your Direct TV box and/or DVD player connected to your C9 through HDMI, but have not CONNECTed in the C9 Settings menu your devices, or 2) you have your Direct TV box and/or DVD player connected to your Denon AVR. If #2 , your C9 will see one device or the other but not both. You can still play both but must use your Denon remote to select which port to connect to.

You will be very pleased with the proper outcome.
Thank you for your response. I have my Oppo 203, my XBox OneX, and my Direct TV all plugged directly into my avr. From my AVR HDMI ARC Out I have one HDMI connected to C9 HDMI port 2 (HDMI ARC). This is the exact same setup I've had with my previous 2 LGs and never had this problem. I have set it to HDMI 2 multiple times on TV connection settings, reset it multiple times and always defaults to HDMI 1 on tv. If I can't get it to work right, I will return it Sat. Thank you!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Guys - anyone moved from an E9 to a CX/GX?

I have a GX which is in its return period still (Love it!)

However....my faulty E6 was just written off and they have sent me an E9 as a replacement.

My heart tells me to keep the GX, but my head tells me to return it and keep the E9.

Help me decide please :confused:

·
Vendor
26,683 Posts
This will be my first new TV since 2008 (a Samsung 1080p LCD) so I'm looking forward to a huge improvement!
Boy did you get your use out of that ;)

Price on a one time find is different then a sale. If the deal was good enough, it should be a no brainer.

I picked up a 77" C9 that way as well. I really struggled a bit with the ~3500 hours on this one and whether or not to return it. There is no burn-in evident on mine and a pretty good panel. My assumption was that the LG rep wouldn't let them leave up a panel with bad tinting or banding. Ultimately decided I will keep it. Some in the deals forum got sets with over 6000 hours on them (I assume they didn't set the on/off timers at the store and they ran 24/7) and they aren't finding any burn-in.

I didn't get the warranty. Never buy them but strongly considered it with my OLED 'fear'. Ultimately will take my chances with LG if I have a problem.

I'm not sure I can go back to an LCD now. Even though my wife can't watch TV in a totally dark room, this is still excellent minus the occasional up-scaling issue. I'll probably buy another when the next panel generation comes out and proves itself and fully expect at the moment to be able to sell this one at that time.
well you have 30 days to slap a square trade warranty or 9 months to throw on a Mack Warranty.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Got it narrowed down to a b9/c9 or a Samsung q80.... Anyone have experience with both of these and can comment. I'll be streaming from apps and gaming mostly. Both sets have features I'm looking for.

·
Registered
667 Posts
well you have 30 days to slap a square trade warranty or 9 months to throw on a Mack Warranty.
My only reason to consider one was burn-in. Those don't cover that as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Thank you for your response. I have my Oppo 203, my XBox OneX, and my Direct TV all plugged directly into my avr. From my AVR HDMI ARC Out I have one HDMI connected to C9 HDMI port 2 (HDMI ARC). This is the exact same setup I've had with my previous 2 LGs and never had this problem. I have set it to HDMI 2 multiple times on TV connection settings, reset it multiple times and always defaults to HDMI 1 on tv. If I can't get it to work right, I will return it Sat. Thank you!
Try the following. After turning-on the TV, power up the AVR, then all of your connected devices. On your C9's remote, press the button that looks like a gear. Point the remote so that the red pointer is on the bottom left icon of the screen-bar that appears. Click on that. That opens All Settings for use. With the red pointer, go up the icon list until you get to Connection. With the red pointer, move right, then go down until you reach Device Connector. Click on that. With the red pointer, select and click on Home Theater. Select the radio button of the HDMI port number that you are using (HDMI2). If you do not see the port on the screen, it means that the C9 has become confused. Unplug all of the HDMI cables which are attached to the C9 -- I don't think that you have more than one, so this step should not be needed. When your HDMI port is shown, click on it. If the button was not Red, it will become red. Click NEXT at the top, right of the screen. Follow the screen messages to completion.
NOTE: when the Did That Work? message comes up, it may or may not have turned-off the AVR's power. If not, just click on NO and the process will repeat. Also, you may have to go to the next repeat-the-process cycle past the one which actually turned-off the AVR. Play with it if that happens, by exiting the SETTINGS screen, trying the TV, and re-doing the steps to connect the C9 to the AVR if it did not work as intended. This may take several tries.
As you have said, the HDMI cable from the C9 connects to the TV HDMI IN (ARC).
Since you are not using either ARC or eARC in the configuration that you described, no settings need to be changed on your Denon.
Let me know if this is confusing or does not work.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
On your C9's remote, press the button that looks like a gear. Point the remote so that the red pointer is on the bottom left icon of the screen-bar that appears. Click on that.
Quick Tip: You can also just long press the settings button instead to open that menu.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,274
Got it narrowed down to a b9/c9 or a Samsung q80.... Anyone have experience with both of these and can comment. I'll be streaming from apps and gaming mostly. Both sets have features I'm looking for.

C9 hands down if you're gaming, OLED blacks, stellar HDR performance (C9) and HDMI 2.1 (full 48 Gbps) wins hands down.
Dont hesitate! Its so good I might buy another for my Mom's house.

·
Registered
460 Posts

While not a direct comparison, I can state that I replaced my PC/gaming monitor specific 55" Samsung Q8FN with a 55" C9. The two displays aren't even in the same league. The C9 out performs it in every measure outside of peak brightness (itself a moot data point for my needs).

It's a very nice display.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
While not a direct comparison, I can state that I replaced my PC/gaming monitor specific 55" Samsung Q8FN with a 55" C9. The two displays aren't even in the same league. The C9 out performs it in every measure outside of peak brightness (itself a moot data point for my needs).

It's a very nice display.
But overall brightness is comparable? And ABL isn't an issue?

·
Registered
460 Posts
But overall brightness is comparable? And ABL isn't an issue?

The C9 gets plenty bright for my needs as far as the average picture is concerned in SDR, and the HDR presentation is more pleasant to my eye due to the OLED contrast vs the LED peak highlights. ABL is rarely an issue for me, perhaps because I don't run my display super bright, and I use a relatively conservative contrast setting (lower 80s). Those few times I even notice it are so fleeting that it's a non-issue in my opinion.

The image quality simply stomps the Q8.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Try the following. After turning-on the TV, power up the AVR, then all of your connected devices. On your C9's remote, press the button that looks like a gear. Point the remote so that the red pointer is on the bottom left icon of the screen-bar that appears. Click on that. That opens All Settings for use. With the red pointer, go up the icon list until you get to Connection. With the red pointer, move right, then go down until you reach Device Connector. Click on that. With the red pointer, select and click on Home Theater. Select the radio button of the HDMI port number that you are using (HDMI2). If you do not see the port on the screen, it means that the C9 has become confused. Unplug all of the HDMI cables which are attached to the C9 -- I don't think that you have more than one, so this step should not be needed. When your HDMI port is shown, click on it. If the button was not Red, it will become red. Click NEXT at the top, right of the screen. Follow the screen messages to completion.
NOTE: when the Did That Work? message comes up, it may or may not have turned-off the AVR's power. If not, just click on NO and the process will repeat. Also, you may have to go to the next repeat-the-process cycle past the one which actually turned-off the AVR. Play with it if that happens, by exiting the SETTINGS screen, trying the TV, and re-doing the steps to connect the C9 to the AVR if it did not work as intended. This may take several tries.
As you have said, the HDMI cable from the C9 connects to the TV HDMI IN (ARC).
Since you are not using either ARC or eARC in the configuration that you described, no settings need to be changed on your Denon.
Let me know if this is confusing or does not work.
Thank you for the precise direction. I have tried these steps exactly several times after resetting and several times when normal watching for the last few days. When in the 'Device Connector' screen, it identified automatically that HDMI 2(ARC) is selected as the TV port I want to use for the video input from home theater; so that part is working fine. When I start watching television and go from watching Directtv to, say a TV app like Netflix, I hit on my universal remote the 'TV' icon to change the AVR source to TV. When then I try to go back to Directtv by hitting the 'SAT' source on universal remote, it takes me back to the TVs HDMI 1 always and then I get the 'No Signal' message as nothing is connected into TVs HDMI 1. It never goes back to HDMI 2 which is what tv is connected to. Same thing happens if watching blu player then hit 'SAT' to watch Directtv, takes me back to HDMI 1. I have to manually use the magic remote and change inputs to HDMI 2. On my previous 2 LGs, it always went back to the TV port the HDMI cable was connected to. On my C6, I has issues with it and was troubleshooting by switching the HDMI cable from TVs Port 1 to Port 2. After watching a different source than Directtv and then hit 'SAT' on remote, it would always get back to the right HDMI and was able to watch Directtv (whether connected to TV port 1 or 2); I wouldn't have to go into inputs via Magic remote and change it manually.

Again, appreciate the assistance. Think there is a bug in TV; just wanting to make sure I wasn't missing a step or not doing the correct setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
The C9 gets plenty bright for my needs as far as the average picture is concerned in SDR, and the HDR presentation is more pleasant to my eye due to the OLED contrast vs the LED peak highlights. ABL is rarely an issue for me, perhaps because I don't run my display super bright, and I use a relatively conservative contrast setting (lower 80s). Those few times I even notice it are so fleeting that it's a non-issue in my opinion.

The image quality simply stomps the Q8.
I'm STILL waiting (yawn), for ANY ABL/ASBL to make an appearance on my C9 with my settings pumped up.
Atypical I know. But I'm VERY familiar with ABL/ASBL.

I guess my tv didn't get the "memo."

My tv's screen uniformity is really nice as well. (I posted a couple of the "dreaded" 5% and 10% greyscales on the uniformity thread). A couple of people here compared it to a Panasonic GZ200, a tv I confess I'm not familiar with.

The irony is that when I first got it, I discovered that the Costco ones were "dumbed down" with regard to no WISA support and was thinking of returning it :)eek::eek::eek:) and getting one from Best Buy for the same coin. But at that time, I was completely unaware that there were ABL/ASBL issues built into the tech as well as uniformity issues that plague OLED panels. I thought they ALL looked/worked just like mine - until I started reading AVS posts about these tvs.

So between this and my ABL/ASBL "mystery", this 65 inch Costco "ANOMALY LG" isn't leaving my sight!:D
I've never owned a tv this nice (thanks LG!) without ANY problems. Not used to that! I'm floored every time I watch it.

What is even more atypical, is that my "luck" never goes this direction. Something got "mixed up" somehow.
So if you have an LG that you aren't quite happy with, that was supposed to be my tv, and mine was supposed to be yours.;)

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
When I start watching television and go from watching Directtv to, say a TV app like Netflix, I hit on my universal remote the 'TV' icon to change the AVR source to TV. When then I try to go back to Directtv by hitting the 'SAT' source on universal remote, it takes me back to the TVs HDMI 1 always and then I get the 'No Signal' message as nothing is connected into TVs HDMI 1. It never goes back to HDMI 2 which is what tv is connected to. Same thing happens if watching blu player then hit 'SAT' to watch Directtv, takes me back to HDMI 1. I have to manually use the magic remote and change inputs to HDMI 2. On my previous 2 LGs, it always went back to the TV port the HDMI cable was connected to. On my C6, I has issues with it and was troubleshooting by switching the HDMI cable from TVs Port 1 to Port 2. After watching a different source than Directtv and then hit 'SAT' on remote, it would always get back to the right HDMI and was able to watch Directtv (whether connected to TV port 1 or 2); I wouldn't have to go into inputs via Magic remote and change it manually.

Again, appreciate the assistance. Think there is a bug in TV; just wanting to make sure I wasn't missing a step or not doing the correct setup.
No bug; that's the way the C9 is supposed to work.
Here's what I think is your problem, and its solution. When you go from AVR input to C9 apps, you are using ARC or eARC --unless you are using the C9's speakers. Because of that, you have shifted the audio connection from: through-the-Denon to the TV, to through-the-TV to the Denon.
When you use the TV to Denon connection, for the:
* Oppo, press the Denon remote's Blu-Ray button;
* DTV, press the Denon remote's CBL/SAT button;
* gaming console, press the Denon remote's [whichever input] button
* etc.

If those do not work, you might want to try pressing the Denon remote's TV Audio button.

14261 - 14280 of 16070 Posts