AVS Forum banner

14481 - 14500 of 16053 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I doubt you got scammed. Do you have this issue with other content? So your playing this movie via a Blu Ray correct? Maybe it's the player.... Check it's settings..... Also is ultra deep color or whatever it's called turned on for that HDMI port

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Played the 4K Blu-ray with the deep color setting on the C9 turned on. HDR10 was picked up and displayed by the TV when played last night as well. I have attached the UBK90 settings page to my post.

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
OK, I wasn't referring to judder though, but stutter specifically. Like in slow panning shots. It was my understanding this is an underlying problem with OLEDs but since I just got one I haven't had to opportunity to test it yet.
Sorry, since you were specifically talking about "30fps games" I assumed you were actually talking about judder and not stutter.

Yes, the low frame rate stutter is unavoidable with LG OLEDs (no matter which generation we're talking about) due to the very low response time. But that has nothing to do with games, consoles or specific fps rates - it's present for all low frame rate content. See here for more details about it.

This is where MCFI (TruMotion) or BFI (OLED Motion / Pro) come into play.

Reactions: DaverJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Played the 4K Blu-ray with the deep color setting on the C9 turned on. HDR10 was picked up and displayed by the TV when played last night as well. I have attached the UBK90 settings page to my post.
Here I am quoting my own post again...truly sorry and if it’s against forum rules feel free to remove my post - just don’t see an edit button.

Screen uniformity looks terrible in that picture but the UBK90 has a weird background that tints the bottom right of the screen. Not the display’s fault. Also forgot to answer that I get inky blacks from SDR content off of my HTPC > SR5012 > LG C9 and HDR (HLG, HDR10, and DV all show inky blacks) off of my Fire Stick hooked directly into the TV.

Could be the player? Or perhaps the Marantz is screwing with the HDR signal from the player? When I have time I’ll run the player right to the TV and see if the behavior occurs again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Okay, I ran the UBK90 to the C9 directly. The weird gray to black and flashing issues didn’t happen - it presented as a true black background with no artifacts. I’m a bit baffled why that fixed the issue but I don’t mind running two cables as it has two HDMI outs. :confused:

However, the blacks in the space scenes in Passengers were still way too light - lowering to 49 almost got them to black and 48 got it to full black. However, it crushed darks pretty bad so obviously not what I’d do. Unless someone has seen this movie on the C9 in a pitch black room and has had a better experience I’m going to pass it off as part of the material - not an issue with the player or TV. Especially since the Sony logo page presents on a true black background in the beginning. :confused:

If anyone has any light to shed I’d love input. :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Okay, I ran the UBK90 to the C9 directly. The weird gray to black and flashing issues didn’t happen - it presented as a true black background with no artifacts. I’m a bit baffled why that fixed the issue but I don’t mind running two cables as it has two HDMI outs. :confused:

However, the blacks in the space scenes in Passengers were still way too light - lowering to 49 almost got them to black and 48 got it to full black. However, it crushed darks pretty bad so obviously not what I’d do. Unless someone has seen this movie on the C9 in a pitch black room and has had a better experience I’m going to pass it off as part of the material - not an issue with the player or TV. Especially since the Sony logo page presents on a true black background in the beginning. :confused:

If anyone has any light to shed I’d love input. :)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2947164-status-dolby-vision-raised-blacks-issue-oleds.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was aware that some sources seem to struggle with Netflix’s DV blacks. However, my C9 displays blacks perfectly from my Fire TV on all forms of HDR and SDR. I get perfect blacks in the Sony logo sequence in the beginning which made me think it was the source material since true and non true blacks are demonstrated within the same file. Also, Passengers is an HDR10 film, not DV. Maybe I’m missing something from your link? I’m sorry if I’m a bit dense. :eek:

Edited to make my post make more sense.

Edit one more time - I noticed the DV problem linked seems to be also affecting the black bars which was not the case for me. The black bars were true black during the entire film. Guess that means I’m in the clear? Sorry for all the edits and my confusion...

·
Registered
667 Posts
I was aware that some sources seem to struggle with Netflix’s DV blacks. However, my C9 displays blacks perfectly from my Fire TV on all forms of HDR and SDR. I get perfect blacks in the Sony logo sequence in the beginning which made me think it was the source material since true and non true blacks are demonstrated within the same file. Also, Passengers is an HDR10 film, not DV. Maybe I’m missing something from your link? I’m sorry if I’m a bit dense. :eek:

Edited to make my post make more sense.

Edit one more time - I noticed the DV problem linked seems to be also affecting the black bars which was not the case for me. The black bars were true black during the entire film. Guess that means I’m in the clear? Sorry for all the edits and my confusion...
Not dense. You got what I was directing you towards, although for some reason I was thinking it was DV. If the bars are black, it is probably the source material.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I could NOT get the LG UBK 90 nor the Sony X700 to do a correct 24p cadence. (Yes, I turned it on). I went through every setting possible. Changed cables too.

To me, the LG players are pure garbage.
I bought another LG player a few years ago with the same result. Like their tvs MUCH more than their players. I was ready to take back my LG tv until I bought a different player. (I just assumed that this tv couldn't do motion correctly. In fact, that is why I stayed away from this tv for a few years).

Additionally I found the Sony X700 player's HDR to be overly dark. (I also wrongly assumed that this WAS HDR in all of it's dim glory).

But all is well now. (exhale)

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Not dense. You got what I was directing you towards, although for some reason I was thinking it was DV. If the bars are black, it is probably the source material.

It's a reference source according to some review sites, none of these issues with my copy. I would make sure I'm using premium certified cables and/or order a certified monoprice cable from amazon to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Here I am quoting my own post again...truly sorry and if it’s against forum rules feel free to remove my post - just don’t see an edit button.

Screen uniformity looks terrible in that picture but the UBK90 has a weird background that tints the bottom right of the screen. Not the display’s fault.

Could be the player?
I got my C9 last week open-box from Best Buy and when I saw this I was convinced it was burn-in. After checking all sorts of color sliders, it only ever showed up when my LG UP970's disc tray was open, showing this white screen.

It's the player.

Why LG decided to use that as a screen, rather than all white (or anything else, really) is beyond me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I've received a 65C9 a week ago and this weekend noticed that I have the high pitch noise issue from the PSU while bright images are displayed (mostly white).
Anyone else here with this issue? Has anyone been able to get LG to fix it? Would you guys return the TV or try to get it fixed? I've heard from a few people that the PSU replacement did not fix it for them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just got a 65C9. I used the rtings calibration settings on the set (ISF Expert dark room). I am using the set in my bedroom at night with the lights off. The set seems too bright- the whites are just about blooming. Should I turn the OLED light down, the brightness down or is there another setting I should look at? Thx in advance.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just got a 65C9. I used the rtings calibration settings on the set (ISF Expert dark room). I am using the set in my bedroom at night with the lights off. The set seems too bright- the whites are just about blooming. Should I turn the OLED light down, the brightness down or is there another setting I should look at? Thx in advance.
I think oled light of 25 will give you reference 100 nits in sdr. It's what I use for my dark bedroom viewing. You don't want to mess with the brightness level of 50.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's a reference source according to some review sites, none of these issues with my copy. I would make sure I'm using premium certified cables and/or order a certified monoprice cable from amazon to see if that makes a difference.
I bought it because it was rated as reference material and the beginning sequence with Sony logo does show true black. Both letterboxes are inky black the entire movie. Inside the ship scenes show what looks to be true black. The only scenes that I questioned were the space scenes - but this could have been due to design as most of the starfield had other galaxies and ‘gas’. I find it unlikely the cable worked for some scenes, kept the letterboxes black, and then struggled during just starfield scenes. I could be wrong though - maybe I’m missing something? It is just a Amazon Basics cable rated for 4K. If memory recalls they don’t certify their cables so I could try a Monoprice cable. :confused:

Why LG decided to use that as a screen, rather than all white (or anything else, really) is beyond me.
Yup, LG picked a very strange background that would probably worry many people with expensive sets. Not sure who decided that was a good idea. :rolleyes:

I could NOT get the LG UBK 90 nor the Sony X700 to do a correct 24p cadence. (Yes, I turned it on). I went through every setting possible. Changed cables too.

To me, the LG players are pure garbage.

The player works for me - 24 hz content has been sent correctly to my (temporary - it’s getting picked up on Friday as I went through 4 of them and just gave up) Vizio PX65-G1. The Vizio reported correct 24 Hz input and looked fine. It looks great with the C9 but I can’t find a similar info page to prove that 24 Hz is being received correctly.

Edit - I purchased a Monoprice certified premium cable to double check. It’s supposed to arrive on Friday. I’ll update then.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok. I know I’ve been a pain, asked 10 thousand questions and probably came across really stupid but I’ve finally done it, just this minute ordered a 55C9 from Currys website for £1299. I’m really hoping I’ve made the right choice. I want the best picture possible so I guess it has to be OLED. Can someone answer these simply questions for me just to put my mind at ease and help me finally stop stressing and loosing the will to live!

REGULAR TV:

About 2 hours in the evenings and a good 5 hours during the day on Saturdays and Sundays if we aren’t out.

FILMS:

My wife and I can easily watch 2 films in the evenings most evenings or 4/5 hours of boxsets (We like the binge)

PS4:

If the wife and I aren’t watching a film or a boxset I generally play the PS4 pro for about 4 hours straight in the evening while she works out how to divorce me! On a Friday and Saturday night my son and I generally play the PS4 pro from around 7 till midnight! That’s 5 hours straight!

I’m not sure if that is mega high usage but can someone please look at my usages and tell me if you think I have made the right choice going with the C9 or infact OLED. Also, I hear people talking about panel lottery too. How do I know or check if my panel is good?

Thanks
In advance.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Ok. I know I’ve been a pain, asked 10 thousand questions and probably came across really stupid but I’ve finally done it, just this minute ordered a 55C9 from Currys website for £1299. I’m really hoping I’ve made the right choice. I want the best picture possible so I guess it has to be OLED. Can someone answer these simply questions for me just to put my mind at ease and help me finally stop stressing and loosing the will to live!

REGULAR TV:

About 2 hours in the evenings and a good 5 hours during the day on Saturdays and Sundays if we aren’t out.

FILMS:

My wife and I can easily watch 2 films in the evenings most evenings or 4/5 hours of boxsets (We like the binge)

PS4:

If the wife and I aren’t watching a film or a boxset I generally play the PS4 pro for about 4 hours straight in the evening while she works out how to divorce me! On a Friday and Saturday night my son and I generally play the PS4 pro from around 7 till midnight! That’s 5 hours straight!

I’m not sure if that is mega high usage but can someone please look at my usages and tell me if you think I have made the right choice going with the C9 or infact OLED. Also, I hear people talking about panel lottery too. How do I know or check if my panel is good?

Thanks
In advance.

You made a great decision. I loved my 77 inch c9 so much I also bought a 55 inch version. No other tv had this combination of gaming and film viewing.

·
Registered
488 Posts

REGULAR TV:

FILMS:

PS4:

Thanks
In advance.

Gammers can chime in here, but 5 hours straight would be something at least worth "monitoring".
Be careful that all day tv viewing isn't just on a news channel with static areas on it.

What do I mean by "monitoring"?

As you go, I would periodically check for IMAGE RETENTION. Image retention isn't screen burn in but it is the precursor to it if you aren't careful. You can get image retention without burn in. But there is no such thing as burn-in that didn't have image retention first (whether or not you noticed it taking place).

I haven't had this happen on my OLED yet, but on my plasma it starts with a faint outline that usually manifests on a white background of what was static for a long time. If it continues, it will become a light yellow and as it gets worse, it will turn orange/yellow. After this, burn in will invariably set in.

No one can "tell you" for sure what is or isn't going to happen. This is why I would recommend periodically putting up a white screen image so you can check for it. White is useful for this. I downloaded some 4k size color slides off the internet and put them on a USB drive. You might be able to easily pull this up directly if you are connected to the internet. Don't check for this the next morning when your tv has had a chance to calm down. Do it right after one of your big gaming viewing sessions. In this way you can catch it, if it is occurring, at it's worst and then decide accordingly.

If you see the image retention on the white background, it is your tv "telling you" that it DOES NOT LIKE your viewing/gaming habits with regard to duration. At that point the solution is to shorten the time and vary the content. Try to think of image retention as *"inflamed-irritated" pixels that will either calm down or get worse, depending on what you do next.

The goal here is to not even have image retention. If you fight your "battle" here, you will win the burn in war every time.

If image retention looks different on an OLED, fine. But I think these principles are still very sound.

This regime is very proactive and one where YOU are in control.
Too often people just "do" what they think is "reasonable" and then when burn in happens, yes, they realize they over did it, but then it is too late.

The white slide will make monitoring for this rather easy. In regular content, with different darker colors always changing, image retention can otherwise be hard to detect. But actual burn in isn't hard to detect on any content. But by then, it's too late.

Don't wait for burn in. Check for image retention. Many people aren't even aware of this, but my plasmas have been going strong since 2013 and they are considerably more sensitive to burn in than these OLEDS.

Good luck and enjoy! Hope this helps.

P.S. With regard to the panel lottery, it is generally the opposite. Dark grey uniformity slides 2%, 5% 10% 20% etc. will reveal much of this. But there are those who advise "not going there" and just watch your tv and if you don't "see" any problems, then you are good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok. I know I’️ve been a pain, asked 10 thousand questions and probably came across really stupid but I’️ve finally done it, just this minute ordered a 55C9 from Currys website for £1299. I’️m really hoping I’️ve made the right choice. I want the best picture possible so I guess it has to be OLED. Can someone answer these simply questions for me just to put my mind at ease and help me finally stop stressing and loosing the will to live!

REGULAR TV:

About 2 hours in the evenings and a good 5 hours during the day on Saturdays and Sundays if we aren’️t out.

FILMS:

PS4:

If the wife and I aren’️t watching a film or a boxset I generally play the PS4 pro for about 4 hours straight in the evening while she works out how to divorce me! On a Friday and Saturday night my son and I generally play the PS4 pro from around 7 till midnight! That’️s 5 hours straight!

I’️m not sure if that is mega high usage but can someone please look at my usages and tell me if you think I have made the right choice going with the C9 or infact OLED. Also, I hear people talking about panel lottery too. How do I know or check if my panel is good?

Thanks
In advance.

Gammers can chime in here, but 5 hours straight would be something at least worth "monitoring".
Be careful that all day tv viewing isn't just on a news channel with static areas on it.

What do I mean by "monitoring"?

As you go, I would periodically check for IMAGE RETENTION. Image retention isn't screen burn in but it is the precursor to it if you aren't careful. You can get image retention without burn in. But there is no such thing as burn-in that didn't have image retention first (whether or not you noticed it taking place).

I haven't had this happen on my OLED yet, but on my plasma it starts with a faint outline that usually manifests on a white background of what was static for a long time. If it continues, it will become a light yellow and as it gets worse, it will turn orange/yellow. After this, burn in will invariably set in.

No one can "tell you" for sure what is or isn't going to happen. This is why I would recommend periodically putting up a white screen image so you can check for it. White is useful for this. I downloaded some 4k size color slides off the internet and put them on a USB drive. You might be able to easily pull this up directly if you are connected to the internet.

If you see the image retention on the white background, it is your tv "telling you" that it DOES NOT LIKE your viewing/gaming habits with regard to duration. At that point the solution is to shorten the time and vary the content. Try to think of image retention as *"inflamed-irritated" pixels that will either calm down or get worse, depending on what you do next.

If image retention looks different on an OLED, fine. But I think these principles are still very sound.

This regime is very proactive and one where YOU are in control.
Too often people just "do" what they think is "reasonable" and then when burn in happens, yes, they realize they over did it, but then it is too late.

The white slide will make monitoring for this rather easy. In regular content, with different darker colors always changing, image retention can otherwise be hard to detect. But actual burn in isn't hard to detect on any content. But by then, it's too late.

Don't wait for burn in. Check for image retention. Many people aren't even aware of this, but my plasmas have been going strong since 2013 and they are considerably more sensitive to burn in than these OLEDS.

Good luck and enjoy! Hope this helps.

P.S. With regard to the panel lottery, it is generally the opposite. Dark grey uniformity slides 2%, 5% 10% 20% etc. will reveal much of this. But there are those who advise "not going there" and just watch your tv and if you don't "see" any problems, then you are good.
That’s very helpful and I’ll take that onboard. I have seen grey scale and burn I test on Utube. Should I used these to check my panel? Plus I’ve heard about panel lottery on here, how do I test my panel when I first get it and how do I know if it’s a good panel?

14481 - 14500 of 16053 Posts