AVS Forum banner

14521 - 14540 of 16469 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lol! Honestly even one told me how good the Samsung Q90 R was so I bought one. Most people would just watch it and be happy. Me and the Mrs could never get through a single film because instead of me watching the film I’️m looking at the screen analysing everything then pausing the movie to adjust settings! I’️m terrible.The Q90r was the first HDR tv I got. When I blasted up amazon prime, Disney or Netflix in HDR is was just so dark we ended up just watching 4K SDR. To tell you the truth I wasn’️t wowed by it, it’️s wasn’️t really much different to my old ju7000? Playing games it always looked like something was missing? Nothing popped, no wow look at this show off my tv moments or anything? Maybe I’️m just to fussy? I don’️t know but I remember getting my ju7000 and putting a 4k film on and almost falling over at the picture! I want that again! I want to actually see what this HDR movies stuff is all about? If I was going to show off a movie on the Q90R I would always make sure HDR was NOT on. Trust me I tired every setting and every combo I could find from forums and ratings and lol that stuff but was just not good.
I personally think the "concept" of HDR is a bit overrated. (And yes, when I posted that, someone INSISTED it was because my settings were wrong). "Personal preference" anyone? But both SDR and HDR looks great on these sets.

I also found HDR to be too dim (oops, his settings must be off again!), until I ditched the Sony X700 player for the Panasonic 420. HDR looks bright (enough) and very dynamic.

People like you and me need to keep in mind that NO tv is going to be PERFECT. Searching for the unattainable will yield nothing. People like us don't "own" tvs; We "return" them.

But the good news is, this LG is the FIRST tv I actually got to the point where I just (gulp).. . watch it!

(Yes, it took me a good 3 months to adjust the heck out of it. Find new settings that would then change the variables on the old, and then re-set everything and then start all over when I found out my blu-ray players sucked).

But FINALLY I just "watch" and I will admit to you and the world that it is almost "uncomfortable" - I'm that used to having a relationship with my tv that I constantly adjust it to the dismay of anyone watching it with me. And when I'm not feeling good about my tv or settings, I don't even want to watch a movie with someone. I want to "fix" it instead.

But not anymore. This is a WONDERFUL problem. For the first time, I'm getting used to not having my "trusty remote" in my hand while watching a movie.

Hope you get that same elusive experience with your LG OLEd Sy!

My word Sargon! My word! I remember my son who couldn’t wait to get on Fortnite on dads new tv! He played for about 5 mins but gave up after I continually had the menus settings up.mon every scene! My Mrs has already said about getting her tv in the bedroom as she doesn’t want to even bother watching a film on the new oled. She says I’ve got issues!? Problem is even if I got a pro calibration done I would still have that niggle in the back of my mind. When I get my C9 it’s gonna start again! The only calibration I can do is my spears and Munsel disc. I don’t know enough about anything else like all the other setting I just do trial and error. I’m the same. I get so stressed out i factory reset and start again. Over and over and over again..... Will a quick spears and Munsel session be ok? Is out the box alright? Plus is the Netflix app and stuff ok in the HDR?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I heard about banding and screen burn but not tinting? I’m getting more nervous now! My tv will be here in 9 days and now I hear about tinting? Another thing to worry about. Can someone explain it please if you don’t mind?
I’m extremely picky. Like obsessively picky - stay up at night coming up with ways to increase picture quality (or frequency response of my stereo system - much more important to me). I was super super nervous about buying an open box C9. I scored on a basically perfect panel in one go. Almost invisible banding even when on 3-5% slides, no burn in, and almost no tint. You have to remember that people posting are those who have problems, not the ones that were happy. Order and enjoy the TV when it arrives. Burn in is something that scares people but just be careful and you should be fine. If you get unlucky I’ve read that most can get LG to replace panels up to 4 or 5 years after the purchase date. It is my opinion the picture quality increase far outweighs the risks of OLED.

Also, I went from a Vizio PX65 (owned for 5 months before giving up on replacements due to faulty hardware) to a C9. The PX is somewhat similar in performance to the Q90R and, while the picture is not blindingly bright anymore, I consider the purchase well well well well worth it. The C9 is better in every regard, including uniformity. Even the brightness delta isn’t that perceptive as the inky blacks make up for that difference. The only reason I know the TV is dimmer is because I am not shielding my eyes during 4K lightning slow motion capture videos anymore :p.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I’m extremely picky. Like obsessively picky - stay up at night coming up with ways to increase picture quality (or frequency response of my stereo system - much more important to me). I was super super nervous about buying an open box C9. I scored on a basically perfect panel in one go. Almost invisible banding even when on 3-5% slides, no burn in, and almost no tint. You have to remember that people posting are those who have problems, not the ones that were happy. Order and enjoy the TV when it arrives. Burn in is something that scares people but just be careful and you should be fine. If you get unlucky I’ve read that most can get LG to replace panels up to 4 or 5 years after the purchase date. It is my opinion the picture quality increase far outweighs the risks of OLED.

Also, I went from a Vizio PX65 (owned for 5 months before giving up on replacements due to faulty hardware) to a C9. The PX is somewhat similar in performance to the Q90R and, while the picture is not blindingly bright anymore, I consider the purchase well well well well worth it. The C9 is better in every regard, including uniformity. Even the brightness delta isn’t that perceptive as the inky blacks make up for that difference. The only reason I know the TV is dimmer is because I am not shielding my eyes during 4K lightning slow motion capture videos anymore :p.
Great post Rachel!

Same obsessiveness and same first time score with my 65 C9. I was starting to think I was the only one who had a clean panel. Very similar grey slide percentages uniformity. 3-4% has a slight banding bar and then clean from 5% to 100. Same with tint. But like you said, probably most of the people who have no issues aren't even bothering posting around here.

Also a vinyl audiophile. But not much to tweek. My pre-amp doesn't even have bass and treble controls because it is completely "flat". Pure uncolored sound coming off my Scotland made turntable through the system. Oh, don't get me started!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I’️m extremely picky. Like obsessively picky - stay up at night coming up with ways to increase picture quality (or frequency response of my stereo system - much more important to me). I was super super nervous about buying an open box C9. I scored on a basically perfect panel in one go. Almost invisible banding even when on 3-5% slides, no burn in, and almost no tint. You have to remember that people posting are those who have problems, not the ones that were happy. Order and enjoy the TV when it arrives. Burn in is something that scares people but just be careful and you should be fine. If you get unlucky I’️ve read that most can get LG to replace panels up to 4 or 5 years after the purchase date. It is my opinion the picture quality increase far outweighs the risks of OLED.

Also, I went from a Vizio PX65 (owned for 5 months before giving up on replacements due to faulty hardware) to a C9. The PX is somewhat similar in performance to the Q90R and, while the picture is not blindingly bright anymore, I consider the purchase well well well well worth it. The C9 is better in every regard, including uniformity. Even the brightness delta isn’️t that perceptive as the inky blacks make up for that difference. The only reason I know the TV is dimmer is because I am not shielding my eyes during 4K lightning slow motion capture videos anymore /forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif.
Great post Rachel!

Same obsessiveness and same first time score with my 65 C9. I was starting to think I was the only one who had a clean panel. Very similar grey slide percentages uniformity. 3-4% has a slight banding bar and then clean from 5% to 100. Same with tint. But like you said, probably most of the people who have no issues aren't even bothering posting around here.

Also a vinyl audiophile - CRAZY system. But not much to tweek. My pre-amp doesn't even have bass and treble controls because it is completely "flat". Pure uncolored sound coming off my Scotland made turntable through the system. Oh, don't get me started!

Hahahaha! Scotland made turntable! I’m in Scotland! I got the screen burn test on utube, I have the grey scales tests too but what is the tint test?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mine has a pink tint that for some reason is worse through my pc than Apple TV, but doesn’t really show up in actual content. Also if I view straight on I don’t see it. My 55 inch c9 has no tint whatsoever.

Still I may end up asking for a panel replacement. Especially if my 55 inch c9 doesn’t have the internet on black frame issue with gsync. I haven’t gotten around to lugging my pc upstairs to test.

https://i.imgur.com/bLdgC9i.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great post Rachel!

Also a vinyl audiophile. But not much to tweek. My pre-amp doesn't even have bass and treble controls because it is completely "flat". Pure uncolored sound coming off my Scotland made turntable through the system. Oh, don't get me started!
I’m a digital girl. I would love to invest in vinyl but just don’t have the cash to sink into records and a good player that would do my Tannoys justice. I’m also a purist though - it gets sent to the DAC pure under WASAPI direct and out to my Marantz to the 7.1 inputs in pure direct (bypasses the ADC with 7.1 inputs) and out to my amp. My next purchase is a new stereo preamp separate from the Marantz - don’t like an AVR running the show - even if I’m bypassing all of its processing. Sorry, done with the OT talk here. :rolleyes:

Mine has a pink tint that for some reason is worse through my pc than Apple TV, but doesn’t really show up in actual content. Also if I view straight on I don’t see it. My 55 inch c9 has no tint whatsoever.

Still I may end up asking for a panel replacement.
From what I’ve read LG only replaces panels once on each unit. I’d save my replacement for the rare but possible burn in risk, especially if you can’t see it during normal content. You might end up with something much worse. Just my thought :).

Also, love the dog avatar...also on the list to get at some point.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I’m a digital girl. I would love to invest in vinyl but just don’t have the cash to sink into records and a good player that would do my Tannoys justice. I’m also a purist though - it gets sent to the DAC pure under WASAPI direct and out to my Marantz to the 7.1 inputs in pure direct (bypasses the ADC with 7.1 inputs) and out to my amp. My next purchase is a new stereo preamp separate from the Marantz - don’t like an AVR running the show - even if I’m bypassing all of its processing. Sorry, done with the OT talk here. :rolleyes:

From what I’ve read LG only replaces panels once on each unit. I’d save my replacement for the rare but possible burn in risk, especially if you can’t see it during normal content. You might end up with something much worse. Just my thought :).

Also, love the dog avatar...also on the list to get at some point.

Yeah, they need to do something to fix this though. It goes away by disabling internet to tv, but I shouldn’t have to do that. I’m guessing a mainboard replacement will fix it.

You have Great Pyrenees on your list? They are great dogs. I’ve had three of them at once before, currently just two.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I’ve just realised I’ve ordered the “MLB” C9. I see Currys sell both the “MLB” and the “PLA” there is no difference in price. What is the difference between these 2? I’m considering calling Currys today to change my order.

·
Registered
488 Posts
mrtickleuk Good choice of TV, worst possible choice of retailer. Forget any after-sales service or swaps if you have banding and tinting. Pity you didn't order from Richer Sounds who are fantastic with service and will also give you a 5 year warranty for free.

I’ve just realised I’ve ordered the “MLB” C9. I see Currys sell both the “MLB” and the “PLA” there is no difference in price. What is the difference between these 2? I’m considering calling Currys today to change my order.

Perhaps you can cancel and order from the place mrtickleuk suggested - if they have what you want in stock. Just a thought.

·
Registered
197 Posts
mrtickleuk Good choice of TV, worst possible choice of retailer. Forget any after-sales service or swaps if you have banding and tinting. Pity you didn't order from Richer Sounds who are fantastic with service and will also give you a 5 year warranty for free.

I’️ve just realised I’️ve ordered the “MLB” C9. I see Currys sell both the “MLB” and the “PLA” there is no difference in price. What is the difference between these 2? I’️m considering calling Currys today to change my order.

Perhaps you can cancel and order from the place mrtickleuk suggested - if they have what you want in stock. Just a thought.
I might do that and go with Richer sounds for the service then.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok so called Currys and they have no problem cancelling the order. Have to wait 4/5 days for the refund though. According to Richer Sounds website the TV is in stock but can’t call them as they don’t open until 12. Plus I’m going to have to wait till I get my refund until I can re order. This is all worrying me now. I don’t want to be ordering an expensive (for me) TV and be worrying that I’m going to be needed after care like I’m just waiting for the TV to go wrong in some way. I just want to enjoy my TV and not be sitting about waiting for it to go wrong? I’m starting to have seconds thoughts man! Is OLED reliable enough? Damn they prob won’t even be around in a year or so due to the flakiness of them! I’m loosing the plot over this tv crap!

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Ok so called Currys and they have no problem cancelling the order. Have to wait 4/5 days for the refund though. According to Richer Sounds website the TV is in stock but can’t call them as they don’t open until 12. Plus I’m going to have to wait till I get my refund until I can re order. This is all worrying me now. I don’t want to be ordering an expensive (for me) TV and be worrying that I’m going to be needed after care like I’m just waiting for the TV to go wrong in some way. I just want to enjoy my TV and not be sitting about waiting for it to go wrong? I’m starting to have seconds thoughts man! Is OLED reliable enough? Damn they prob won’t even be around in a year or so due to the flakiness of them! I’m loosing the plot over this tv crap!
Ok! Take a deep breath and try to stop panicking. It'll be fine. :) The TV won't "go wrong" as in be faulty, but if you read the uniformity thread you've been pointed to, you will see that sometimes you can be unlucky and get a 'bad' one with poor uniformity near black. If you'd bought that unlucky one from the bad retailer (Curries) they would argue and say "tough, it's not faulty" and fob you off. They are despicable people and I hate them. Can't be clearer than that. My advice is only for your peace of mind, and to support a good retailer who deserves to thrive, and not to give money to a very very bad retailer who would have gone bust years ago if there had been any justice.

In general, Richer Sounds' reputation tramples all over Curries. I personally had a swap from Richer Sounds 1 month after I got my first C8, thanks to the encouragement of the people on that thread. Richer were great - they let me set up the replacement TV in their demo room, and check it for myself before I left the shop! You'll see my posts and my pictures in that thread if you search. Curries, on the other hand, are a bunch of crooks who will lie to your face and refuse to honour your consumer rights (when things are actually faulty, not just subjective things like an OLED panel being poor). I won't even buy batteries from them now. But don't take my word for it, do a search and you'll read the horror stories (from both sides overall, but more for one than the other):

At the end of the day it's your decision of course. Good luck :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok so called Currys and they have no problem cancelling the order. Have to wait 4/5 days for the refund though. According to Richer Sounds website the TV is in stock but can’️t call them as they don’️t open until 12. Plus I’️m going to have to wait till I get my refund until I can re order. This is all worrying me now. I don’️t want to be ordering an expensive (for me) TV and be worrying that I’️m going to be needed after care like I’️m just waiting for the TV to go wrong in some way. I just want to enjoy my TV and not be sitting about waiting for it to go wrong? I’️m starting to have seconds thoughts man! Is OLED reliable enough? Damn they prob won’️t even be around in a year or so due to the flakiness of them! I’️m loosing the plot over this tv crap!
Ok! Take a deep breath and try to stop panicking. It'll be fine. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif The TV won't "go wrong" as in be faulty, but if you read the uniformity thread you've been pointed to, you will see that sometimes you can be unlucky and get a 'bad' one with poor uniformity near black. If you'd bought that unlucky one from the bad retailer (Curries) they would argue and say "tough, it's not faulty" and fob you off. They are despicable people and I hate them. Can't be clearer than that. My advice is only for your peace of mind, and to support a good retailer who deserves to thrive, and not to give money to a very very bad retailer who would have gone bust years ago if there had been any justice.

In general, Richer Sounds' reputation tramples all over Curries. I personally had a swap from Richer Sounds 1 month after I got my first C8, thanks to the encouragement of the people on that thread. Richer were great - they let me set up the replacement TV in their demo room, and check it for myself before I left the shop! You'll see my posts and my pictures in that thread if you search. Curries, on the other hand, are a bunch of crooks who will lie to your face and refuse to honour your consumer rights (when things are actually faulty, not just subjective things like an OLED panel being poor). I won't even buy batteries from them now. But don't take my word for it, do a search and you'll read the horror stories (from both sides overall, but more for one than the other):

Ok I’m meditating to relax the situation..... Damn this is just so hard! So when I get it I do a grey scale test and make sure I don’t have banding? Is that it really? Oh my! I’ll have the TV In less then 10 days from Richer and I’m already having panic attacks! Will it be bright enough? 700 nits is really low for a tv these days? Will that be enough for pop in HDR?! Damn it. I really hope I’ve spend my money well here as all I’m anticipating is disappoint and disaster!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ok! Take a deep breath and try to stop panicking. It'll be fine. :) The TV won't "go wrong" as in be faulty, but if you read the uniformity thread you've been pointed to, you will see that sometimes you can be unlucky and get a 'bad' one with poor uniformity near black. If you'd bought that unlucky one from the bad retailer (Curries) they would argue and say "tough, it's not faulty" and fob you off. They are despicable people and I hate them. Can't be clearer than that. My advice is only for your peace of mind, and to support a good retailer who deserves to thrive, and not to give money to a very very bad retailer who would have gone bust years ago if there had been any justice.

At the end of the day it's your decision of course. Good luck :)
mrtickleuk dropped you this suggestion earlier and I'm so glad that you took him up on it.

Trust what he is saying to you now. You'll get through this. You literally have multiple posters who are helping you through this so you don't have to do this alone. What a great group you all are!

People can be so critical. But this is this sort of kindness that I really appreciate. It helps refocus me, and is the real glue that holds these threads together in a meaningful way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok I’m meditating to relax the situation..... Damn this is just so hard! So when I get it I do a grey scale test and make sure I don’t have banding? Is that it really? Oh my! I’ll have the TV In less then 10 days from Richer and I’m already having panic attacks! Will it be bright enough? 700 nits is really low for a tv these days? Will that be enough for pop in HDR?! Damn it. I really hope I’ve spend my money well here as all I’m anticipating is disappoint and disaster!
Like I said above - I went from one of the brightest TV’s on the market to an OLED. I’m not disappointed. My partner was enthralled with the peak brightness of the Vizio and was super worried about OLEDs peak brightness. We are both very happy campers. As others have said on this thread - OLED’s perfect blacks help you perceive 700 nits to be much brighter than it really is. HDR pops on this way more than on the Vizio.

I spent 5 minutes on color, grey, and white slides in total when I first booted the TV. Haven’t looked back. If you aren’t satisfied with the uniformity of the panel (give it at least 50 hours of use before assuming the worst) call up Richer Sounds and have them exchange it. All will be well :).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok! Take a deep breath and try to stop panicking. It'll be fine. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif The TV won't "go wrong" as in be faulty, but if you read the uniformity thread you've been pointed to, you will see that sometimes you can be unlucky and get a 'bad' one with poor uniformity near black. If you'd bought that unlucky one from the bad retailer (Curries) they would argue and say "tough, it's not faulty" and fob you off. They are despicable people and I hate them. Can't be clearer than that. My advice is only for your peace of mind, and to support a good retailer who deserves to thrive, and not to give money to a very very bad retailer who would have gone bust years ago if there had been any justice.

At the end of the day it's your decision of course. Good luck /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
mrtickleuk dropped you this suggestion earlier and I'm so glad that you took him up on it.

Trust what he is saying to you now. You'll get through this. You literally have multiple posters who are helping you through this so you don't have to do this alone. What a great group you all are!

People can be so critical here. But it is this sort of kindness that I really appreciate. It helps refocus me, and is the real glue that holds these threads together in a meaningful way.
Your so right! I can’t believe I’m getting worked up so much over a bloody tv! I’m hoping that I get to enjoy the tv. Still worrying about restrictions though. I feel my son a I are going to find it hard not being able to enjoy our game nights.

·
Registered
9,472 Posts
Your so right! I can’t believe I’m getting worked up so much over a bloody tv! I’m hoping that I get to enjoy the tv. Still worrying about restrictions though. I feel my son a I are going to find it hard not being able to enjoy our game nights.
If you can, please try to TRIM quotes, don't quote the whole thing. ta :).
It's fine, you'll be able to enjoy your game nights. And you'll enjoy them a lot!

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you can, please try to TRIM quotes, don't quote the whole thing. ta /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif.
It's fine, you'll be able to enjoy your game nights. And you'll enjoy them a lot!
Not sure if 5 hours session will be good for the tv though. Would 3 hours be ok do you think? Do you game?

·
Registered
16 Posts
You have Great Pyrenees on your list? They are great dogs. I’ve had three of them at once before, currently just two.https://youtu.be/013Mtsn6iZ0
I am unsure what breed I want. But yes, Great Pyrenees is a possibility. Need to move into a house we own though...no Atmos and no doggos in this house...

Let us know how the main board replacement goes. Is LG even repairing televisions right now?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I was in the same boat. I have a Samsung Q9 which gets really bright. Hard to tell the difference that the oled is half the brightness. I don't think I'm ever going back to lcd.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

14521 - 14540 of 16469 Posts