AVS Forum banner

14541 - 14560 of 16044 Posts

·
Vendor
26,619 Posts
Ok so called Currys and they have no problem cancelling the order. Have to wait 4/5 days for the refund though. According to Richer Sounds website the TV is in stock but can’t call them as they don’t open until 12. Plus I’m going to have to wait till I get my refund until I can re order. This is all worrying me now. I don’t want to be ordering an expensive (for me) TV and be worrying that I’m going to be needed after care like I’m just waiting for the TV to go wrong in some way. I just want to enjoy my TV and not be sitting about waiting for it to go wrong? I’m starting to have seconds thoughts man! Is OLED reliable enough? Damn they prob won’t even be around in a year or so due to the flakiness of them! I’m loosing the plot over this tv crap!
OLED is very reliable, if you are worried, add the extended warranty.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Can I add a warranty to my tv that I got open box at best buy

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Yes and just like a return policy the same is for adding the plan to the tv. Think it was extended to 30 days from purchase

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not sure if 5 hours session will be good for the tv though. Would 3 hours be ok do you think? Do you game?

Hi Sy17 - i'm a big gamer and use my 65' C9 also for my desktop monitor when i'm home from work. I been gaming on the C9 since I got it at Best Buy on Black Friday last Dec.. I been playing just one game with static HUDS on the screen for 5 hours at a time especially more since the Covid-19 restrictions and my panel is still crystal clear. You should have no problems imo. ya gotta try it thought to see it for yourself. No amount of feedback will ease the anxiety you have at the moment :D but you'll see when you get it, its a great TV/OLED just my .02

PS I think Sy17 totally missed this post lol I tried!

Reactions: DaverJ and Sargon 1

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok! Take a deep breath and try to stop panicking. It'll be fine. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif The TV won't "go wrong" as in be faulty, but if you read the uniformity thread you've been pointed to, you will see that sometimes you can be unlucky and get a 'bad' one with poor uniformity near black. If you'd bought that unlucky one from the bad retailer (Curries) they would argue and say "tough, it's not faulty" and fob you off. They are despicable people and I hate them. Can't be clearer than that. My advice is only for your peace of mind, and to support a good retailer who deserves to thrive, and not to give money to a very very bad retailer who would have gone bust years ago if there had been any justice.

In general, Richer Sounds' reputation tramples all over Curries. I personally had a swap from Richer Sounds 1 month after I got my first C8, thanks to the encouragement of the people on that thread. Richer were great - they let me set up the replacement TV in their demo room, and check it for myself before I left the shop! You'll see my posts and my pictures in that thread if you search. Curries, on the other hand, are a bunch of crooks who will lie to your face and refuse to honour your consumer rights (when things are actually faulty, not just subjective things like an OLED panel being poor). I won't even buy batteries from them now. But don't take my word for it, do a search and you'll read the horror stories (from both sides overall, but more for one than the other):

At the end of the day it's your decision of course. Good luck /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
mrtickleuk dropped you this suggestion earlier and I'm so glad that you took him up on it.

Trust what he is saying to you now. You'll get through this. You literally have multiple posters who are helping you through this so you don't have to do this alone. What a great group you all are!

People can be so critical. But this is this sort of kindness that I really appreciate. It helps refocus me, and is the real glue that holds these threads together in a meaningful way.
Your so right! I can’️t believe I’️m getting worked up so much over a bloody tv! I’️m hoping that I get to enjoy the tv. Still worrying about restrictions though. I feel my son a I are going to find it hard not being able to enjoy our game nights.
If you can, please try to TRIM quotes, don't quote the whole thing. ta /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif.
It's fine, you'll be able to enjoy your game nights. And you'll enjoy them a lot!

So I took the advice and cancelled Currys and ordered from Richer Sounds. I was on the phone for ages trying to get a good deal. Check this out! Very happy now. Obviously still having a melt down but feeling a bit better. Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
So I took the advice and cancelled Currys and ordered from Richer Sounds. I was on the phone for ages trying to get a good deal. Check this out! Very happy now. Obviously still having a melt down but feeling a bit better. Thanks all!
Seeing that 6 year free tv guarantee had me immediately thinking about that gentleman who got this ball rolling for you.
That invoice alone exudes everything he was saying about this place all along.

Great deal too!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I also think getting a C9 just "simplifies" things. The CX is a great tv, but to me all the issues surrounding the CX just don't seem to be part of the experience of C9 owners.

If I got a CX, I'd really, really feel compelled to read a thousand posts about it's issues and then have to make my own conclusions about each and how they may or may not affect me and then be scanning the horizon for sought out updates for all the current glitches.

With the C9, it's "easy street". Yes, people can argue which set is better. But I love, how LOW DRAMA the C9 comes across, especially after reading so many assertive, defensive, and troubled posts on the CX thread.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Seeing that 6 year free tv guarantee had me immediately thinking about that gentleman who got this ball rolling for you.
That invoice alone exudes everything he was saying about this place all along.

Great deal too!
Yeah you both helped amazingly! I really appreciate the input from you all. Especially your good self. Without your input and the fact you have issues that keep you awake at night I wouldn’t have gone and ordered it! Have to wait for 10 days for delivery but never mind £1100! It was advertised for £1299 but told the guy I get 15% discount through a friend at Currys and is there anything he could do and he immediately told if I wanted it now he would knock it down to £1100 with 6 year warranty! I’m really quite happy. Just hope it works out for me and I don’t have too many sleepless night messing about with the picture!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Now I’m looking at maybe pairing it with a PANASONIC UB820 4K player..... Might have to wait till I’m back at work though......

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok! Take a deep breath and try to stop panicking. It'll be fine. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif The TV won't "go wrong" as in be faulty, but if you read the uniformity thread you've been pointed to, you will see that sometimes you can be unlucky and get a 'bad' one with poor uniformity near black. If you'd bought that unlucky one from the bad retailer (Curries) they would argue and say "tough, it's not faulty" and fob you off. They are despicable people and I hate them. Can't be clearer than that. My advice is only for your peace of mind, and to support a good retailer who deserves to thrive, and not to give money to a very very bad retailer who would have gone bust years ago if there had been any justice.

In general, Richer Sounds' reputation tramples all over Curries. I personally had a swap from Richer Sounds 1 month after I got my first C8, thanks to the encouragement of the people on that thread. Richer were great - they let me set up the replacement TV in their demo room, and check it for myself before I left the shop! You'll see my posts and my pictures in that thread if you search. Curries, on the other hand, are a bunch of crooks who will lie to your face and refuse to honour your consumer rights (when things are actually faulty, not just subjective things like an OLED panel being poor). I won't even buy batteries from them now. But don't take my word for it, do a search and you'll read the horror stories (from both sides overall, but more for one than the other):

At the end of the day it's your decision of course. Good luck /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Big thank-you for your advice mrtickleuk!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Now I’m looking at maybe pairing it with a PANASONIC UB820 4K player..... Might have to wait till I’m back at work though......
Awesome player. I have the 420 (much less expensive) which performs the same with the exception of no DV.
These players, including the 420, are LOADED with options that literally DWARF all other offerings.

My Sony X700 is the most "impressive" looking in SDR. It has great detail and presentation and DV (no auto detect) but the 24p cadence is "slightly" off.

The LG player auto detects HDR vs DV.
I returned the LG player. Second one I've purchased over the years. If the tvs were anything like these K-mart quality players, I'd never have bought an LG in the first place. Fewest controls and horrible motion.

The Panasonic's HDR is much brighter than the Sony X700. (I was hating HDR until I switched players).
It is also more DYNAMIC than the Sony even though it is brighter. No luminosity leveling going on here.
Finally the film like cadence of the 420 as well as all my other Panasonic players are SPOT on.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ok! Take a deep breath and try to stop panicking. It'll be fine. :) The TV won't "go wrong" as in be faulty, but if you read the uniformity thread you've been pointed to, you will see that sometimes you can be unlucky and get a 'bad' one with poor uniformity near black. If you'd bought that unlucky one from the bad retailer (Curries) they would argue and say "tough, it's not faulty" and fob you off. They are despicable people and I hate them. Can't be clearer than that. My advice is only for your peace of mind, and to support a good retailer who deserves to thrive, and not to give money to a very very bad retailer who would have gone bust years ago if there had been any justice.

At the end of the day it's your decision of course. Good luck :)

Just to chime in here...

I purchased my 65C9 from Currys on Boxing Day (NEVER AGAIN - it was like hell on earth). Sure, the service in store is crap and I would have much rather gone with JL first, and then Richer Sounds - but neither had it in stock.

The tv has been superb. No issues. I did take the extended warranty just in case (I know), as my main concern was burn in. However, seems LG would cover that themselves (according to many people who have had it happen to them).

Mind you - they might be fine in my experience because I’ve not had any reason to contact them (thankfully!)....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Awesome player.

The LG player auto detects HDR vs DV.
I returned the LG player. Fewest controls and horrible motion.
The 820 is second to only the Oppo players and I’ve read some people prefer the 820 on OLEDs especially due to the HDR tone mapping feature. Wish I had the dough for it. If you have the cash for it, it’s well worth the investment.

For the price the LG UBK90 does a good job. My Walmart edition was super cheap (1/4 the price of the 820 on a decent sale). I don’t seem to have the cadence issues you seem to struggle with (sends exactly the same 24Hz as my tweaked Madvr HTPC) but I do agree, the features and controls are horrendous. I bought it for the auto switching DV support but I sure do wish I had more control over the processing. I have my dream TV though so life’s all good :).

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is one of the best settings ( i know every tv is different) that i can apply to my 55 inch c9. Just bought it and none of the settings pop to me. Any link to a post on this thread or any other site? Searched this topic but couldnt find anything

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Not sure if 5 hours session will be good for the tv though. Would 3 hours be ok do you think? Do you game?
The more interesting question would be, "is five hours of gaming everyday good for me?" The display will be fine as long as that is NOT the only thing that you do with it, day after day after day after day after....

·
Registered
360 Posts
I just set up a 65" C9 that's new-to-me refurb. According to the settings, it has around 600 hours on it.

Panel looks great except for 1 dead pixel in the top middle of the screen. I was not happy when I saw it, so I opened a support case with LG and they're sending someone out.

Some googling says that it's not all that uncommon for some dead pixels. Am I just playing the panel lottery if this gets replaced - is it bound to happen anyway? Just sucks to find that my newly purchased, expensive TV has a small black pixel even though it's not something I can tell from normal viewing at a distance, obviously.

Trying to determine how I proceed...

·
Registered
488 Posts
The 820 is second to only the Oppo players and I’ve read some people prefer the 820 on OLEDs especially due to the HDR tone mapping feature. Wish I had the dough for it. If you have the cash for it, it’s well worth the investment.

For the price the LG UBK90 does a good job. My Walmart edition was super cheap (1/4 the price of the 820 on a decent sale). I don’t seem to have the cadence issues you seem to struggle with (sends exactly the same 24Hz as my tweaked Madvr HTPC) but I do agree, the features and controls are horrendous. I bought it for the auto switching DV support but I sure do wish I had more control over the processing. I have my dream TV though so life’s all good :).
From what I read, the 420 has the same processing-guts as the 820 and looks identical (at least what people are reporting).

The big difference is the price, the ability to do DV, and the build quality is better.

I liked my 420 so much, I bought two. One for the "rainy" day when no one sells good blu-ray players for my 900+ blu rays.
Samsung stopped producing them. Oppo - is out now.
Actually (two) players isn't my stopping point either. I've used up at least 5-6 players in the last 10 years from other manufacturers.
So "an extra one" will only go so far. My "arsenal" of SDR Panny players are still going strong. None broke. The Samsungs - R.I.P.

I have more movies than I can watch for the rest of my life. I just want to ensure I can watch them.
Of course, I'll end up having to buy the "HDMI adaptor" so it will work on the tvs of the future that have long abandoned support for blu-rays. (That happened with audio. You had to get a "phono" adaptor to hook up a turntable. But now vinyl has made a big resurgence! So I'm starting to see gear with phono inputs again).

What I've noticed with audio - turntables is that the middle priced market completely dried up when CDs took over
You could get cheap turntables for 120 and mid-range ones from 350-800, and then the top 2000 dollar ones like Linn.

Today, you can get cheap junk or 2000 or 10,000 dollar turntables. Nothing much in between.
I see the same future for blu-rays, only worse, especially if Oppo, the "Linn" of blu-ray players is done.

Streaming is compressed and I just prefer physical media - CDs, Records, Blu-Rays. I feel more "connected" to what I'm watching/listening to. Very psychological.

Others are fine "turning on the radio" or scrolling through streaming menus looking for their "movie of the night."

·
Registered
530 Posts
RTings published their CX review and this part struck me as odd:

1080p @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4
Yes
1080p @ 120 Hz
Yes (native support)
1440p @ 60 Hz
Yes (native support)
1440p @ 120 Hz
Yes (native support)
4k @ 60 Hz
Yes
4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4
Yes
4k @ 120 Hz
Yes (native support)
8k @ 30 Hz or 24 Hz
No
8k @ 60 Hz
No
Compare this with the same section in the C9 review:
1080p @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4
Yes
1080p @ 120 Hz
Yes (native support)
1440p @ 60 Hz
Yes (forced resolution required)
1440p @ 120 Hz
Yes (native support)
4k @ 60 Hz
Yes
4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4
Yes
8k @ 30 Hz or 24 Hz
No
8k @ 60 Hz
No
Even though they go on to say the following in the C9 review:

LG advertises that the C9 supports a 4k @ 120Hz input from external devices, but unlike the Samsung Q90R, it appears that this only works with HDMI 2.1 sources, as we were unable to get it to work. We will retest this once we have an HDMI 2.1 source.
So, why not list 4K @ 120Hz in the support resolutions section?

Of course, they list this caveat on the CX:

The CX doesn't support full bandwidth HDMI 2.1. It only has 40Gbps ports capable of 4k @ 120Hz @ 4:4:4 10-bit instead of 48Gbps ports which would be able to reach 12-bit, but we don't expect this to make any noticeable difference.
Correct me, if I'm wrong, but the benefit the C9 has over the CX is its true 48Gbp HDMI 2.1 inputs. So, until we can confirm with a real device, the theory is that the C9 one-ups the CX in its ability to do 4k @ 120HZ 4:4:4 12-bit?

14541 - 14560 of 16044 Posts