AVS Forum banner

14561 - 14580 of 15976 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
RTings published their CX review and this part struck me as odd:

Compare this with the same section in the C9 review:

Even though they go on to say the following in the C9 review:

So, why not list 4K @ 120Hz in the support resolutions section?

Of course, they list this caveat on the CX:

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but the benefit the C9 has over the CX is its true 48Gbp HDMI 2.1 inputs. So, until we can confirm with a real device, the theory is that the C9 one-ups the CX in its ability to do 4k @ 120HZ 4:4:4 12-bit?
Should be. Only time will tell. So far I'm one strike out with my 4400 and c9 with eARC....

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Should be. Only time will tell. So far I'm one strike out with my 4400 and c9 with eARC....

I have a Denon x4400h, as well, so I feel ya on the eARC thing...
You might want to look into this as a work around for your eARC issue. Also do a check on this forum as several members have tried this out and it works for them.
https://www.amazon.com/Thenaudio-SHARC-Converter-Processor-384kHz/dp/B083QPCNQN/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=earc&qid=1590017756&sr=8-5
But I did buy this and it is working perfectly. The only drawback is having to lose an HDMI port on both the TV and the AVR. So far, though, it's a helluva lot better than the alternative of buying a whole new AVR, when the x4400h is no slouch.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just set up a 65" C9 that's new-to-me refurb. According to the settings, it has around 600 hours on it.

Panel looks great except for 1 dead pixel in the top middle of the screen. I was not happy when I saw it, so I opened a support case with LG and they're sending someone out.

Some googling says that it's not all that uncommon for some dead pixels. Am I just playing the panel lottery if this gets replaced - is it bound to happen anyway? Just sucks to find that my newly purchased, expensive TV has a small black pixel even though it's not something I can tell from normal viewing at a distance, obviously.

Trying to determine how I proceed...
If you can’t see it in your normal viewing distance I would be hesitant about sucking up your one replacement panel (LG only replaces once per unit). Understand the bummer though. You did get a TV with fewer hours than me - mine had 800 on it. :)

Streaming is compressed and I just prefer physical media - CDs, Records, Blu-Rays. I feel more "connected" to what I'm watching/listening to. Very psychological.
I really love physical media - just have never had the space or money. Hoping both will be changing soon!

·
Registered
530 Posts
You might want to look into this as a work around for your eARC issue. Also do a check on this forum as several members have tried this out and it works for them.

https://www.amazon.com/Thenaudio-SHARC-Converter-Processor-384kHz/dp/B083QPCNQN/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=earc&qid=1590017756&sr=8-5
Spending$150 on something that should just work doesn't work

I don’t understand your post. The Sharc does work. And not only does it work, it works exactly as advertised.

Unless you’re talking about the Denon, but it’s outside of our hands. LG says it’s Denon and Denon is not working towards a fix (or isn’t saying one way or the other). I feel pretty fortunate that Then Audio is even making a product like the Sharc. $150 > the cost of a whole new AVR.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you can’t see it in your normal viewing distance I would be hesitant about sucking up your one replacement panel (LG only replaces once per unit). Understand the bummer though. You did get a TV with fewer hours than me - mine had 800 on it. :)
Single replacement panel. Is that documented anywhere (I'm in the US if that matters as I know warranties vary based on region and applicable laws)? It would suck to get a replacement and it develop similar issues (or worse) and not be able to get that fixed...

If that's indeed the case, perhaps I'll wait and see how I feel toward the end of my year warranty period.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Single replacement panel. Is that documented anywhere? It would suck to get a replacement and it develop similar issues (or worse) and not be able to get that fixed...

If that's indeed the case, perhaps I'll wait and see how I feel toward the end of my year warranty period.
Not written anywhere but there are many people who have tried to get second panels on the internet and have been unsuccessful and told LG only does one replacement. LGs policies are a bit cloak and dagger on this but from what I’ve read I wouldn’t risk it until later in the warranty period. Also keep in mind LG usually replaces burned in panels up to 4 or 5 years after purchase. Granted all of this is word of mouth but seems to be consistent enough to put together. YMMV.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Can anyone tell me if they prefer the picture quality of the built in apps ie “Netflix” “Prime Video” etc etc or is the picture quality better on APPLE 4K tv?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Big thank-you for your advice mrtickleuk!
I've had similar experiences with Curry's in the past. I just bought a CX from John Lewis and had to exchange it (bad panel, see thread) and they dealt with it immediately and also suggested I swap it for a C9 and pocket the change! Very impressed by their tech support. Also comes with 5yr guarantee included, although for the above exchange I was in their immediate return window anyway. Still doesn't change the panel lottery itself though, just the aftermath.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I don’t understand your post. The Sharc does work. And not only does it work, it works exactly as advertised.

Unless you’re talking about the Denon, but it’s outside of our hands. LG says it’s Denon and Denon is not working towards a fix (or isn’t saying one way or the other). I feel pretty fortunate that Then Audio is even making a product like the Sharc. $150 > the cost of a whole new AVR.
I'm talking about the Denon. It's advertised to support a function yet it doesn't work. I guess it's good to have the sharc as a fallback. I'm going to see what Denon does first.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Correct me, if I'm wrong, but the benefit the C9 has over the CX is its true 48Gbp HDMI 2.1 inputs. So, until we can confirm with a real device, the theory is that the C9 one-ups the CX in its ability to do 4k @ 120HZ 4:4:4 12-bit?
It's just a paper benefit.

People forget that the C9 (and CX) panels are 10-bit. Why would you need to force 12 bit onto them and have the TV do unnecessary work to downsample them again? Also, movies on UHD BD isn't going to be 12-bit ever due to the lack of space. Games? Uh lol... they're still made on 8-bit monitors (hell many are still on 6 bit with FRC lmao), mastered on the same 10-bit LG or Sony OLEDs we have in the studio.

Doesn't discount LG from coming right out of the door and said their 2020 line up will not feature the full 48gbps though and quietly tried to assume people wouldn't notice though. It's the typical Korean way of doing things.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's just a paper benefit.

People forget that the C9 (and CX) panels are 10-bit. Why would you need to force 12 bit onto them and have the TV do unnecessary work to downsample them again? Also, movies on UHD BD isn't going to be 12-bit ever due to the lack of space. Games? Uh lol... they're still made on 8-bit monitors (hell many are still on 6 bit with FRC lmao), mastered on the same 10-bit LG or Sony OLEDs we have in the studio.

Doesn't discount LG from coming right out of the door and said their 2020 line up will not feature the full 48gbps though and quietly tried to assume people wouldn't notice though. It's the typical Korean way of doing things.

Quite. There’s some chat though on the CX gaming thread (I’m not a gamer but read it) about some graphics cards not output the 10-bit mode but will do 12-bit, which CX won’t take. But that’s really a GPU/TV compatibility issue. At the end of the day it’s a 10 bit panel so any advantage of 12 bit has to be marginal data processing in how to boil down the 2 extra bit depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can someone explain what I should do to ‘break in’ my new C9? Should I avoid using hdr for the first 100 hours at all?
Think that involves oil, a baseball, and a bungee cord. Oh wait. Wait that’s not right - I’m thinking of a baseball mitt. Dang I miss baseball. :p

Just watch and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Quite. There’s some chat though on the CX gaming thread (I’m not a gamer but read it) about some graphics cards not output the 10-bit mode but will do 12-bit, which CX won’t take. But that’s really a GPU/TV compatibility issue. At the end of the day it’s a 10 bit panel so any advantage of 12 bit has to be marginal data processing in how to boil down the 2 extra bit depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve been reading the same and then problem is let’s say the CX and the GPU are talking.

LG CX “Hey GPU give me 10-bit color”
GPU “I only output 12-bit color”
LG CX “Ok I can’t accept 12-bit color”
GPU “How about 8-bit color ?”
LG CX “Yeah sure”

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

So the cable going from the sharc back to the AVR. Does that need a eARC cable? I'm guessing yes?

14561 - 14580 of 15976 Posts