AVS Forum banner

14721 - 14740 of 16053 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
I would say my usage is 60% gaming (PC, consoles, retro), 20% PC monitor, and 10% streaming YouTube, Netflix, Disney+. I'm very happy with the C9 as a gaming display (mostly 1440p/120Hz low lag G-sync), check the Gaming thread in my sig for discussions on gaming on a C9.
Ok just placed my order for my 1st ever oled... =I’m going to get the 2 or 5 year bb warranty but can’t decide which yet. My question is that if I have an issue from burn in, which I might as it’s just used for gaming, if I get LG to replace my panel does it use my bb warranty? If bb comes out because of burn in do they do panel replacements or do they just give you a new tv/credit or if bb does panel replacements does it still consume the warranted?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Did your sharc show up? How does it work? Any sync issues?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Yes, it's working well so far. I'm mainly using it to get lossless audio from my gaming PC back to the Denon 4400.

I have sound setting in Windows set to 'Dolby Atmos for Home Theater' and get Atmos in games that support it and PCM audio upmixed with Dolby Surround for unsupported games.

I confirmed the audio format with the Denon app. I can also report that there are no issues with lip-sync.

I was also able to confirm passthrough of DTSX and DTS-HD using some demo clips I had played through the PC.

The only downside is that it takes up two of the available 4 HDMI 2.1 ports on the C9. With my PC connected, I only have 1 port left. Not a big issue for me as just need the one eventually for the PS5. My remaining devices that don't need HDMI 2.1 features will stay connected directly to the Denon.

The only other issue is occasional handshake issues where audio doesn't play but can be fixed by switching away from my ARC input and back to it.

Reactions: DaverJ

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Yes, it's working well so far. I'm mainly using it to get lossless audio from my gaming PC back to the Denon 4400.

I have sound setting in Windows set to 'Dolby Atmos for Home Theater' and get Atmos in games that support it and PCM audio upmixed with Dolby Surround for unsupported games.

I confirmed the audio format with the Denon app. I can also report that there are no issues with lip-sync.

I was also able to confirm passthrough of DTSX and DTS-HD using some demo clips I had played through the PC.

The only downside is that it takes up two of the available 4 HDMI 2.1 ports on the C9. With my PC connected, I only have 1 port left. Not a big issue for me as just need the one eventually for the PS5. My remaining devices that don't need HDMI 2.1 features will stay connected directly to the Denon.

The only other issue is occasional handshake issues where audio doesn't play but can be fixed by switching away from my ARC input and back to it.
Why does it take up two ports on the tv? Doesn't the sharc take the cable back from the tv...... Connect a second cable to the sharc and from there to the AVR?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Why does it take up two ports on the tv? Doesn't the sharc take the cable back from the tv...... Connect a second cable to the sharc and from there to the AVR?

The SHARC device only passes audio back to the AVR not video. The Denon doesn't see it is an ARC source though the C9 does.

I have to connect the AVR monitor out from Denon to a different port on the C9 so that I can get video from the devices connected directly to my AVR.

This is the main downside to using the SHARC device.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The SHARC device only passes audio back to the AVR not video. The Denon doesn't see it is an ARC source though the C9 does.

I have to connect the AVR monitor out from Denon to a different port on the C9 so that I can get video from the devices connected directly to my AVR.

Oh. Didn't know that. But if my PS4 is plugged into the tv I don't need video sent to the Denon. I think you hooked it up wrong.... Is your PC hooked up to the Denon?

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
The Sharc only has two HDMI connectors. One goes to the TV's eARC port and one goes to one of the AVR's inputs. There is no third connector on the Sharc to take video from the AVR's output.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The Sharc only has two HDMI connectors. One goes to the TV's eARC port and one goes to one of the AVR's inputs. There is no third connector on the Sharc to take video from the AVR's output.
But if your source is connected to the tv video is sent that way. the tv only sends audio to the AVR...... Is your PC connected to the AVR????

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Oh. Didn't know that. But if my PS4 is plugged into the tv I don't need video sent to the Denon. I think you hooked it up wrong.... Is your PC hooked up to the Denon?

Right now I have the SHARC plugged into HDMI 2 on the C9 and separate HDMI cable for audio out from SHARC to HDMI input on my Denon previously occupied by my PC.

The SHARC can't pass video back from the Denon on the same input so I have to connect the Monitor out to a separate input on the C9. I know it is a bit confusing and its obviously not as seamless as a normal ARC connection but it is a lot cheaper than paying to upgrade to a new AVR!

I haven't tried connecting my PS4 directly to the C9. There isn't any real advantage now since it doesn't support VRR. Currently, the C9 can't pass LPCM audio back either via eARC so it would be transcoded to DD+ and introduce audio lag. On PC, there is a workaround via a Custom Resolution tool that allows you to edit the EDID to allow for LPCM 7.1 passthrough.

I don't think this is necessary if you use Dolby Atmos for Home Theater output though since it sends LPCM in a Dolby MAT container that the C9 can bitstream via eARC.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
But if your source is connected to the tv video is sent that way. the tv only sends audio to the AVR...... Is your PC connected to the AVR????
I'm not the person you were originally talking to. Sounds like vpn75 has more more than three source devices. With the Sharc taking up one of the TV's inputs that leaves room for three devices hooked up to the TV. If you have four or more then you need to use the AVR as an HDMI switch and it will take up one of the TV's ports. That would leave only two ports capable of 4K 120Hz available.

So in vpn75's case it will be his PC with a new video card and the future PS5 that will get those ports. All other devices get hooked up to the AVR. If he decides to also get an Xbox Series X then he'd have an issue.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I'm not the person you were originally talking to. Sounds like vpn75 has more more than three source devices. With the Sharc taking up one of the TV's inputs that leaves room for three devices hooked up to the TV. If you have four or more then you need to use the AVR as an HDMI switch and it will take up one of the TV's ports. That would leave only two ports capable of 4K 120Hz available.

So in vpn75's case it will be his PC with a new video card and the future PS5 that will get those ports. All other devices get hooked up to the AVR. If he decides to also get an Xbox Series X then he'd have an issue.
Yes, thanks for summarizing! I currently have an AT4K, PS4, DTV cable box and UHD player connected to my AVR.

I have no plans to get the Series X so I should be OK until HDMI 2.1 AVRs become widely available :)

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Ok just placed my order for my 1st ever oled... =I’m going to get the 2 or 5 year bb warranty but can’t decide which yet. My question is that if I have an issue from burn in, which I might as it’s just used for gaming, if I get LG to replace my panel does it use my bb warranty? If bb comes out because of burn in do they do panel replacements or do they just give you a new tv/credit or if bb does panel replacements does it still consume the warranted?

Good choice, you'll love it.

I'm not sure Best Buy's panel replacement policy, so can't help you there. Burn-in was an issue with older OLED tech, but within the last couple years LG taken measures to protect the display. I haven't heard a single report of burn-in on a C9, which has been out for over a year. I'm not saying it will never happen, but with reasonable care it should look great for years and years. The only habit I had to break was leaving the TV on unattended, especially on paused games. And bothering to turn on Windows 10's screensaver.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I have no plans to get the Series X so I should be OK until HDMI 2.1 AVRs become widely available :)
If you do get one it will have eARC then you'll have four 4K 120Hz ports available, three on the TV and one on the AVR. So no worried there. :)

The new 2020 Denon models only have one >18Gbps input (labeled 8K). We'll see how many Yamaha has when they announce their 2020 models.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

Sorry. I get that having too many devices and having to use the AVR as a HDMI switch you could not get video. So I see there is a work around. I only have my PlayStation so I shouldn't have video issues.... So in my instance I would hook up the sharc to the tv and then the sharc to the arc port on the AVR???? I'm just trying to understand how this works before I buy one.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Sorry. I get that having too many devices and having to use the AVR as a HDMI switch you could not get video. So I see there is a work around. I only have my PlayStation so I shouldn't have video issues.... So in my instance I would hook up the sharc to the tv and then the sharc to the arc port on the AVR???? I'm just trying to understand how this works before I buy one.
PS4 -> C9 -> Sharc -> AVR

But you won't get LPCM 5.1/7.1 on the PS4 until the firmware fix shows up.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

Is there some reason you want to connect your PS4 directly to the C9 now? It doesn't do VRR so there is no advantage.

I would say hold off until the PS5 is released before deciding whether or not to buy it. I'll happily share my experiences with getting the PS5 to work with my SHARC :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Is there some reason you want to connect your PS4 directly to the C9 now? It doesn't do VRR so there is no advantage.

I would say hold off until the PS5 is released before deciding whether or not to buy it. I'll happily share my experiences with getting the PS5 to work with my SHARC :)
That's exactly why I'm trying to figure it out. I'm def getting a ps5. My C9 is mounted on the wall and all my cables are in wall. I purchased a 48kbs cable and installed it before mounting. I didn't want to have to take the tv down to have to connect anything else. I know the PS4 doesn't support VRR and I can just hook up directly to the AVR. I'm just getting ahead of the game. I also looked up the sharc and how it works. I see how to set it up now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
PS4 -> C9 -> Sharc -> AVR

But you won't get LPCM 5.1/7.1 on the PS4 until the firmware fix shows up.

Couldn’t you just use a digital optical out for the sound direct from PS4 to AVR? That’s what I’ve done on my Xbox One X and it works really well and avoids having to fix up any slight sync delay issues with that whole chain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
Couldn’t you just use a digital optical out for the sound direct from PS4 to AVR? That’s what I’ve done on my Xbox One X and it works really well and avoids having to fix up any slight sync delay issues with that whole chain.
For a PS4 that's fine for now but once the LPCM fix comes in then optical will restrict him to LPCM 2.0. Same for the Xbox but you'll also loose out on Atmos.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

Got it. I see how it works now. I need this.

·
Registered
95 Posts
For a PS4 that's fine for now but once the LPCM fix comes in then optical will restrict him to LPCM 2.0. Same for the Xbox but you'll also loose out on Atmos.

Good points thx. I’ve got a 5.1 setup myself and old AVR does ARC (not eARC) neither does it do Atmos. I’m hanging out for HDMI 2.1 AVR with Atmos etc when they start dropping. But I think I’m limited to 2.0 sound via the TOSLINK period, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14721 - 14740 of 16053 Posts