AVS Forum banner

14901 - 14920 of 16009 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am planning on purchasing a C9 and I'm wondering if people think the built-in apps (common ones like Netflix, D+, Prime, Youtube, etc.) are sufficient, or do people prefer to utilize a Roku/AppleTV and reasons why they went that route (ie Roku doesn't support DolbyVision but the native apps do, etc.)

Currently, I have a 8 year old LG LM6200 and the interface and apps have always been terrible, so I've been using my PS4 (non-Pro) and its apps, but don't think that's the solution with the C9.

Thank you in advance for any input!

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Sharc is not available here in Australia. Can I use something like a HDFury Vertex 2 to send LPCM 7.1 to my ARC (Non-eARC) receiver?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
I am planning on purchasing a C9 and I'm wondering if people think the built-in apps (common ones like Netflix, D+, Prime, Youtube, etc.) are sufficient, or do people prefer to utilize a Roku/AppleTV and reasons why they went that route (ie Roku doesn't support DolbyVision but the native apps do, etc.)

Currently, I have a 8 year old LG LM6200 and the interface and apps have always been terrible, so I've been using my PS4 (non-Pro) and its apps, but don't think that's the solution with the C9.

Thank you in advance for any input!

I don't use them a lot, but when I do, I like the C9's internal streaming apps - YouTube, Netflix, Disney+, etc.. Fast, interface works well, updated fairly often. I haven't run into any problems with them at all.

·
Registered
115 Posts
...I'm wondering if people think the built-in apps (common ones like Netflix, D+, Prime, Youtube, etc.) are sufficient, or do people prefer to utilize a Roku/AppleTV and reasons why they went that route
I think you'll find the C9 is pretty darn good compared to external boxes. The only external box that I prefer is the Nvidia Shield and even it can't do YouTube HDR as it doesn't support the VP9.2 video codec. The LG YouTube app does 4K 60fps HDR just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Enjoy DTS whilst it lasts, since 2020 and later LG models don't have it, nor do any Samsungs for the last several years. ;)
Which is sad because DTS:X Pro looks awesome for gaming. But by the time I replace my TV, AVRs will have more than one 48Gbps port.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
I use Netflix and Prime built in apps. Nvidia Shield for Plex. Haven't yet decided on where to watch D+ until they turn Atmos back on here in Canada.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
The Sharc is not available here in Australia. Can I use something like a HDFury Vertex 2 to send LPCM 7.1 to my ARC (Non-eARC) receiver?
Yes. It's more expensive but has more features. One bonus is that it won't require using two inputs on the TV like with the Sharc.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wobble on the Stand

Just got my C9 and got it assembled... Is it normal that it wobbles pretty easily on the stand? Not side to side but front to back?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Just got my C9 and got it assembled... Is it normal that it wobbles pretty easily on the stand? Not side to side but front to back?
is it a 77 inch? mine wobbles a little.

·
Registered
429 Posts
No. You have all four screws in?
Yeah I have all 4 screws in and if I made them any tighter I think I would of stripped them. The tv sits straight on the stand. I made a short recording showing what I am talking about. Let me know if you think that’s too much wobble and I should take it down and try to reassemble it.

Video Link:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
This is a release firmware so no worries of locking yourself out of future versions, although this might be the final firmware.
We still have some features to be added, so let's hope that is not the last firmware... :)
- support for HDCP 2.3;
- support for Dolby Atmos in Apple TV/Airplay WebOS app;
Can you check in the hidden Host Diagnostics menu the level of the HDCP?

Please be aware that for various reasons, the streaming apps have only 5-6 years of life before the app provider/developer abandons old versions of apps, OSs, or weak hardware implementations - god knows how many years of useful life WebOS 4.x will get...
In that light, an external streaming box can easily be upgraded if it becomes obsolete.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Yeah I have all 4 screws in and if I made them any tighter I think I would of stripped them. The tv sits straight on the stand. I made a short recording showing what I am talking about. Let me know if you think that’s too much wobble and I should take it down and try to reassemble it.

Video Link: https://youtu.be/w9XasmTaKHQ
Because the screen is so big, yet very thin it's going to have a little wobble. Mine is the same way but I have it against an entertainment center on both sides to prevent a lot of wobble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
eArc - Passthrough or Auto?

I've had my two C9s for about a year now and love them. Also been a fan of this board for awhile and finally registered b/c I need a little insight. I have a Bose Soundbar 700 connected via eArc, and an Apple TV 4K connected to the TV. Here is where I need some insight:
  • The Bose Soundbar does NOT support Atmos and will not play any sound if fed an Atmos signal (it won't accept it and down-mix it)
  • The Apple TV Supports Atmos and has a setting called Best Audio Quality, which means the Apple TV will automatically select the highest quality output based on what I'm playing. It also has a toggle to turn on/off Atmos in tandem with the setting. In practice, that means with those two settings enabled, it'll send Atmos. And if I select Best Audio Quality but disable Atmos, it should send uncompressed LPCM 5.1. However, the Apple TV Atmos toggle seems bugged because no matter how many times I turn Atmos off, it comes on by itself and always ends up passing Atmos to the C9. I have a feeling this has something to do with the C9's ability to internally decode Atmos and the Apple TV thinking it's asking for it.
  • Right now, If I send an Atmos signal to the C9, it will downmix to 2-channel stereo when passing sound through eARC b/c, until this latest firmware which I haven't yet installed, the C9 cannot pass LPCM 5.1 via eARC
  • So, right now, I have to force the Apple TV to pass lower quality DD 5.1, which I'm doing, and everything works via eARC and it sounds good
  • What I WANT to happen is to have the Apple TV send uncompressed LPCM 5.1, but it won't because no matter what I do, it sends Atmos. MY QUESTION - with the new C9 firmware, is there a way to get the C9 to accept the Apple TV Atmos stream, and then have the C9 re-mix the Atmos to LPCM 5.1 and send it via eARC? If yes, then awesome. If no, then I'll have to continue to use the lower quality DD 5.1.

14901 - 14920 of 16009 Posts