AVS Forum banner

15101 - 15120 of 16376 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think the motion is better than any LCD I've watched. There's definitely some stuttering issues which is expected but no blur to me. All motion processing features are off for me including real cinema

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
In short, it is a wonderful TV for 60+ fps content. However, for 24p it is terrible imo. Stuttering makes it terrible sometimes and makes you miss old CRT TVs.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Well, consider me one disappointed mofo! I was praying that this new firmware would finally fixed the raised black issues this TV has with the ATV and Xbox One X. But instead it just fixes AIRPLAY.........seriously LG????? You waste my time with a stupid firmware that only fixes AIRPLAY????

Does this mean the raised black issue wont ever be fixed??? I want some F**king answers LG! My patience is running thin on this issue.
I don't know why you expect LG to issue new firmwares for the ATV and XBox One X. You need to be petitioning Apple and Microsoft to fix those issues, not LG.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Well, consider me one disappointed mofo! I was praying that this new firmware would finally fixed the raised black issues this TV has with the ATV and Xbox One X. But instead it just fixes AIRPLAY.........seriously LG????? You waste my time with a stupid firmware that only fixes AIRPLAY????

Does this mean the raised black issue wont ever be fixed??? I want some F**king answers LG! My patience is running thin on this issue.
You are barking at the wrong tree.

Please be aware that raised blacks in DV is an old and recurring problem, is more a Dolby generated problem that LG's, and is present in a lot of TV's from various brands and years, SO, do not get your hopes high that it will be solved soon (2018, 2019 (and soon 2020) TV's owners still await their fix... - LONG TERM SOLUTION: if you don't calibrate the TV and see any raised blacks in any Picture Mode just lower the black level from 50 to 49.
If you calibrate the TV it should correct this.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Also, frame studder/juddering i'm assuming is the result of a movie/game with a low frame rate? like 24 or 30fps. this shouldn't be a thing with 60fps video games.

On my Panasonic S60 plasma, i get nasty frame judder with videogames running in 30fps....in 60fps, it's not there.
I'm not worried about judder/studder, i'm worried about Motion blurring/smearing. I rarely play 30fps games anyways, plasma's expose the motion judder much more so because they're no crappy smeary motion blur to hide it.

If you were to play a video game, lets say any 3rd or first person based game running in 60fps(there is no judder/doubling in 60fps) on a PS4 Pro for example, and you were rotating the in-game camera in circles, would the LG C9 OLED produce Less motion blur and better motion clarity in comparison to a QLED without any motion interpolation or BFI for either. i have next to no experience hands on with OLED, i just need a straight answer.

people will say motion is worse? but what does that even mean. More noticeable judder for low frame rate content since there's last blur hiding it due to OLED's having a near instantaneous response time or do they just have more motion blur/smearing for even 60fps content.
For gaming I didnt notice any issues and there's no judder, blur, smear as far as I can tell. For movies and panning scenes though there's 100% stutter like big jumps and it is very noticeable.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Newbie Question

So, newbie question to the group.

I keep reading posts about folks having settings for SDR vs HDR content.

When I go to Picture Mode for the HDMI input I'm using, I don't see an option to have settings given SDR vs HDR content.

Are folks using multiple HDMI inputs one for each different type of content?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
So, newbie question to the group.

I keep reading posts about folks having settings for SDR vs HDR content.

When I go to Picture Mode for the HDMI input I'm using, I don't see an option to have settings given SDR vs HDR content.

Are folks using multiple HDMI inputs one for each different type of content?
No, when you r not playing any HDR content, you are by default in SDR mode and set it's settings accordingly. When you play HDR content, settings automatically change (to HDR mode) and that's when you set your HDR settings and next time the TV remembers those settings for each type SDR, HDR10 and DV. So you have to be playing that content in order to access it's setting if that makes sense.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No, when you not playing any HDR content, you are in SDR mode and set it's settings accordingly. When you play HDR content, settings automatically change and that's when you set your HDR settings and next time the TV remembers those settings for each type SDR, HDR10 and DV. So you have to be playing that content to access it's setting if that makes sense.
Okay, got it! Thanks for the info and tip.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Guys, regarding the Dynamic Tone Mapping feature in HDR10, I've heard the pros recommend to keep it OFF as it makes the brights brighter and darks DARKER. For me its the opposite here, and the feature makes the darks less darker, IE raises the blacks and that def. hurts the PQ.

1. Why does everyone say the setting makes darks even darker when its the opposite, what does it to do for others?
2. Any way to keep the darks the same with dynamic tone mapping and have the excellent brights that come with it? These brights remind me of 1600 nits samsung and even crushes those by comparison... Planet Earth 2 in HDR10 is just out of this world with this feature on as its almost all in bright day scenes but say something like Batman v Superman fight scenes or anything dark really raises black levels and loose the dynamic range.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Has anyone used the Shield 4K upscaling C9? Looking into one for HBO Max and few other apps anyway but wondering how the upscaler does on the C9?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi!
Someone has contacted with LG to inform for the raised blacks presents with the recently FW 04.80.03? I have to increase 5-6 points of the brightness level respect before.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
In the past, the 2019 series was unable to be controlled by the new "LG ThinQ" app and you were forced to use the "LG TV Plus" mobile app.

LG has changed its heart and apparently will phase out its "LG TV Plus" mobile app and it has made the new "LG ThinQ" app compatible with the 2019 series.

I can't test the older series OLEDs.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi!
Someone has contacted with LG to inform for the raised blacks presents with the recently FW 04.80.03? I have to increase 5-6 points of the brightness level respect before.
I have not seen raised blacks on my C9 with 04.80.03.
Neither in SDR nor in HDR/DV.

Which device are you using? And in which modes do you experience raised blacks?

·
Registered
9,944 Posts

I believe I've read about this being complained about a lot in the Apple TV 4k device thread. Maybe that's the device the poster is using?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Raised blacks with the 5th gen 4k Apple TV in Dolby Vision only. Raised black with Xbox One X with HDR mode.

My ultra bluray player and internal apps do not have raised black issues at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are barking at the wrong tree.

Please be aware that raised blacks in DV is an old and recurring problem, is more a Dolby generated problem that LG's, and is present in a lot of TV's from various brands and years, SO, do not get your hopes high that it will be solved soon (2018, 2019 (and soon 2020) TV's owners still await their fix... - LONG TERM SOLUTION: if you don't calibrate the TV and see any raised blacks in any Picture Mode just lower the black level from 50 to 49.
If you calibrate the TV it should correct this.
I hear you and agree and I already got my TV calibrated professionally. The calibrator didnt use the Apple TV to calibrate. Internal apps and the ultra hd bluray player work perfectly on all sources and flavors of HDR. I guess I am just going to have to either A. lower brightness down to 49 or B. wait for the next Apple TV coming out soon and hope that it just works.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Raised blacks with the 5th gen 4k Apple TV in Dolby Vision only. Raised black with Xbox One X with HDR mode.

My ultra bluray player and internal apps do not have raised black issues at all.
It is known that both the Apple TV and One X are cause this issue.
The TV is not the problem in this case.
People are complaning about this very often. But
it looks like Microsoft and Apple are not willing to listen.

15101 - 15120 of 16376 Posts