AVS Forum banner

15121 - 15140 of 16052 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is known that both the Apple TV and One X are cause this issue.
The TV is not the problem in this case.
People are complaning about this very often. But
it looks like Microsoft and Apple are not willing to listen.
Do you think if I purchased HDMI 2.1 cables this could remedy the issue? Has anyone tried this yet?

·
Registered
49 Posts
(my english is so bad) I wrote John Archer to possible bug with the latests firmware about raised blacks and John it's confused for this. (see Twitter conversation: https://twitter.com/joanromeror/status/1271149824411344899).
If we can prove and describe the possible problem with the last firmware, John will contact with LG to solve the problem. It's possible to problem will be Apple TV and Xbox and not C9, but is strange. (see twitter conversation with John , he is confused too with this topic).

·
Registered
316 Posts
If we can prove and describe the possible problem with the last firmware,
This problem is not a problem with the latest firmware. Apple tv in particular has been struggling with this for a long time now.
It is not even a problem caused by the TV. Which is why LG can't do much about it.
Apple and Microsoft must be contacted.

Edit: Also note that some movies or TV shows are mastered with "elevated blacks".
From my experience this is this is often the case with Dolby Vision content. Maybe because they have been
mastered on a Dolby Pulsar reference display.

In other words: Just because content is displayed on an OLED it does not guarantee perfect blacks.
As long as your letterbox bars are black everything should be ok.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This problem is not a problem with the latest firmware. Apple tv in particular has been struggling with this for a long time now.
It is not even a problem caused by the TV. Which is why LG can't do much about it.
Apple and Microsoft must be contacted.

Edit: Also note that some movies or TV shows are mastered with "elevated blacks".
From my experience this is this is often the case with Dolby Vision content. Maybe because they have been
mastered on a Dolby Pulsar reference display.

In other words: Just because content is displayed on an OLED it does not guarantee perfect blacks.
As long as your letterbox bars are black everything should be ok.
Thanks! I will prove tonight. I'm glad to know it's not LG error :)

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Guys, regarding the Dynamic Tone Mapping feature in HDR10, I've heard the pros recommend to keep it OFF as it makes the brights brighter and darks DARKER. For me its the opposite here, and the feature makes the darks less darker, IE raises the blacks and that def. hurts the PQ.

1. Why does everyone say the setting makes darks even darker when its the opposite, what does it to do for others?
2. Any way to keep the darks the same with dynamic tone mapping and have the excellent brights that come with it? These brights remind me of 1600 nits samsung and even crushes those by comparison... Planet Earth 2 in HDR10 is just out of this world with this feature on as its almost all in bright day scenes but say something like Batman v Superman fight scenes or anything dark really raises black levels and loose the dynamic range.
Anybody?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Guys, regarding the Dynamic Tone Mapping feature in HDR10, I've heard the pros recommend to keep it OFF as it makes the brights brighter and darks DARKER. For me its the opposite here, and the feature makes the darks less darker, IE raises the blacks and that def. hurts the PQ.

1. Why does everyone say the setting makes darks even darker when its the opposite, what does it to do for others?
2. Any way to keep the darks the same with dynamic tone mapping and have the excellent brights that come with it? These brights remind me of 1600 nits samsung and even crushes those by comparison... Planet Earth 2 in HDR10 is just out of this world with this feature on as its almost all in bright day scenes but say something like Batman v Superman fight scenes or anything dark really raises black levels and loose the dynamic range.
Anybody?
You just seeking positive affirmation?

DTM is a personal preference. You want a brighter, less accurate picture, go for it.

I would rather use the custom tone mapping upload with Calman and watch content in its intended form.

Reactions: meles and FarleyUK

·
Registered
400 Posts
Reactions: GC3

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
You just seeking positive affirmation?

DTM is a personal preference. You want a brighter, less accurate picture, go for it.

I would rather use the custom tone mapping upload with Calman and watch content in its intended form.
You can benefit from DTM if you calibrate your panel. Otherwise, using DTM or not is a matter of personal choice.
Do not use DTM if you're looking for accuracy. It does not stack with calibration.
Thanks guys. I wasn't seeking positive affirmation, just trying to learn what the correct settings are for max accuracy as I am not getting my tv professionally calibrated (anytime soon). Also trying to figure out if my tv is doing something wrong where darks get raised blacks instead of going darker like ppl claim.

PS: Is the calman tone mapping upload easily implemented for any tv or that's a calibrated file for your particular set?

·
Registered
429 Posts
This about normal for banding?

Hey guys this is my 1st oled and I am well aware that some vertical banding is going to be normal on all OLEDs.. On the left side of my screen I have a pretty dark line which you can see clearly at 5% gray. There are some other bands but I don’t see them during normal content, I can see the band on the left during any dark grey or dark blue colors on that side of the screen, but since it’s pretty contained to not center screen viewing do you think it’s prob best to keep this set or go back into the lottery.

I’m attaching the 5% grey and some screens where I see it the most.

Again, it’s pretty visible but contained to off to the left side of the screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Hey guys this is my 1st oled and I am well aware that some vertical banding is going to be normal on all OLEDs.. On the left side of my screen I have a pretty dark line which you can see clearly at 5% gray. There are some other bands but I don’t see them during normal content, I can see the band on the left during any dark grey or dark blue colors on that side of the screen, but since it’s pretty contained to not center screen viewing do you think it’s prob best to keep this set or go back into the lottery.

I’m attaching the 5% grey and some screens where I see it the most.

Again, it’s pretty visible but contained to off to the left side of the screen.
Pictures must not be doing it justice as I cant see em in any other image except 5% window.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Odd Issue

Seeing something very strange and bothersome.

Have a Roku 4 connected directly to the C9 with an 8k cable.

When playing certain content, I get this weird line and flickering on the lower 1/4 of the screen.

A thin white line starts at the bottom and the screen appears to flash/flicker, but just on the lower 1/4 of the screen.

If I turn off the TV, count to 20, turn-on the TV, the issue is gone.

Tried to upload a short phone video to show everyone, but I'm not able to upload it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seeing something very strange and bothersome.

Have a Roku 4 connected directly to the C9 with an 8k cable.

When playing certain content, I get this weird line and flickering on the lower 1/4 of the screen.

A thin white line starts at the bottom and the screen appears to flash/flicker, but just on the lower 1/4 of the screen.

If I turn off the TV, count to 20, turn-on the TV, the issue is gone.

Tried to upload a short phone video to show everyone, but I'm not able to upload it.
That's likely a bad HDMI cable. I had the same exact issue with cheaper cables - as soon as I replaced them with certified Monoprice cables, the issue disappeared. You mention it's an "8K cable", however 2.1 certified cables are rare right now and there are many cheap cables on Amazon being marketed as "8K" even though they're not certified.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
PS: Is the calman tone mapping upload easily implemented for any tv or that's a calibrated file for your particular set?
Sort of the latter. The default tone-curves and tone-mapping strategy assumes that the panel's peak luminance is exactly 700 nits.

On a 2019 model and later, you can - with the right equipment as part of a calibration - actually measure your particular panel's peak output in nits. It might be 650, it may be 750, or anything in between. By telling the TV its real Max luminance and uploading the value to the TV using this feature, it then makes the HDR10 static tone mapping fully accurate. (For us poor C8 owners, we can't upload new curves so the way we have to get accuracy is to reduce "OLED Light" until the TV's peak is exactly 700 nits)

That's one part of what you can do. Another part concerns where you start the roll-off for the tone mapping. In your trade-off between brightness and detail (you have to pick one - you can't have both, that's what tone mapping has to do) this affects the overall look and particularly changes how 4,000 nit mastered content looks. For more info see here: https://displaycalibrations.com/lg_templates_for_device_control.html . You can use that free software to upload whatever values you like and play with it ;).

Without the meter it won't be accurate, but there's nothing (other than a lovely steep learning curve!) stopping you from changing the roll-off values and see if you like the changes, and leaving the 700 at default.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am so happy issue with PCM is finally resolved.

My current setup is LG C9 connected to Denon AVR-X3600H (has eARC). APTV4K connected to Denon.

I watch a lot of TrueHD and DTS-HD content using an app called Infuse. The App (I hope I'm using the right word) converts the audio to LPCM and then sends it off.

Will I gain anything connecting the APT4K directly to the TV?

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I am so happy issue with PCM is finally resolved.

My current setup is LG C9 connected to Denon AVR-X3600H (has eARC). APTV4K connected to Denon.

I watch a lot of TrueHD and DTS-HD content using an app called Infuse. The App (I hope I'm using the right word) converts the audio to LPCM and then sends it off.

Will I gain anything connecting the APT4K directly to the TV?
You will not gain anything because the Apple TV does not use any HDMI 2.1 features.

Connecting to the TV is advantageous if you have a console or PC that uses G-sync or VRR and then you can use eARC to send back audio that is more than two channels PCM.

15121 - 15140 of 16052 Posts