AVS Forum banner

15161 - 15180 of 16027 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
LG E9 cracked glass stand/frame

We have an LG E9, bought in February 2020. It sits on the factory stand on a large Salamander media console, and has not moved since being placed there when new. Both bottom corners of the glass frame have now cracked (see attached pictures). One cracked almost immediately after placing it on the console when essentially new. We thought maybe we had done something when placing it on the console, and so chalked it up to bad luck. This morning we saw that the other corner is now cracked in the exact same way and location. Since we know nothing has touched the TV since installation (no kids or large pets in the house to cause accidents), I can't see how this is our fault.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? If so, were you able to get a resolution from LG? I wanted to get some feedback from the forum before contacting them.

Mods, if this belongs in the dedicated C9/E9 thread, feel free to move it. But since this doesn't really tie in with the features/performance focus of that thread, I wanted to start with a new dedicated subject first in hopes of getting more views.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
We have an LG E9, bought in February 2020. It sits on the factory stand on a large Salamander media console, and has not moved since being placed there when new. Both bottom corners of the glass frame have now cracked (see attached pictures). One cracked almost immediately after placing it on the console when essentially new. We thought maybe we had done something when placing it on the console, and so chalked it up to bad luck. This morning we saw that the other corner is now cracked in the exact same way and location. Since we know nothing has touched the TV since installation (no kids or large pets in the house to cause accidents), I can't see how this is our fault.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? If so, were you able to get a resolution from LG? I wanted to get some feedback from the forum before contacting them.

Mods, if this belongs in the dedicated C9/E9 thread, feel free to move it. But since this doesn't really tie in with the features/performance focus of that thread, I wanted to start with a new dedicated subject first in hopes of getting more views.

Yeah. It happened to me as well. The lower left corner developed a crack that goes from the bottom to about 5 inches up. I've had mine since October and only noticed it in the past month when I went to dust off the TV. I'm in a dark room so can't see it normally. I haven't contacted LG about it yet because of COVID-19, but was looking online and they claim that cosmetic damage isn't covered, though this wasn't my fault. I still intend to open a ticket to see what they do. The glass looks nice, but it must not be of good quality. That may be why they didn't make another panel for their 2020 line.

Edit:

Here's what it looks like:

·
Vendor
26,611 Posts

Yeah. It happened to me as well. The lower left corner developed a crack that goes from the bottom to about 5 inches up. I've had mine since October and only noticed it in the past month when I went to dust off the TV. I'm in a dark room so can't see it normally. I haven't contacted LG about it yet because of COVID-19, but was looking online and they claim that cosmetic damage isn't covered, though this wasn't my fault. I still intend to open a ticket to see what they do. The glass looks nice, but it must not be of good quality. That may be why they didn't make another panel for their 2020 line.

Edit:

Here's what it looks like:
Wow, interesting, you two should call up LG and see if they will do something about that, they may, they are covering burn in some times and that is not covered under warranty.

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah. It happened to me as well. The lower left corner developed a crack that goes from the bottom to about 5 inches up. I've had mine since October and only noticed it in the past month when I went to dust off the TV.
Glad (?) to hear I'm not the only one with the issue. I noticed yours is sitting on a glass topped console too. I wonder if the inflexible nature of the glass-on-glass contact point is causing a stress issue? Wood furniture might give just enough that it absorbs the load (and maybe deforms just a bit) to spread it out more. Still, you'd think this is something that they would have noticed during the design stages. Maybe a reason they discontinued the model? In any event, it feels as though this E9 won't be robust enough to be a 10-year display like my old Panasonic plasma was if it's shattering under its own weight just by sitting on a piece of furniture. Disappointing for the price paid.

Anyway, I'll be contacting LG shortly to see what they can do about it. The E9 really does complement my room nicely; I'm not sure a GX would give the same look (assuming they would go so far as to offer a replacement with the current model).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Question to anyone that has had an LG warranty repair:

Last night, my 65C9 started to flicker constantly. It then produced a 2 inch wide vertical band of sparkling pixels through the middle third of the panel. It happens on every input and on the internal apps as well, so it's obviously the TV.

A power cycle, pixel refresh, & a factory reset later and the flickering is worse.

The TV has around 1000 hours on it.

I've already submitted a warranty repair request through LG.com. For those that have done one, how long did it take to schedule an initial repair visit?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Question to anyone that has had an LG warranty repair:

Last night, my 65C9 started to flicker constantly. It then produced a 2 inch wide vertical band of sparkling pixels through the middle third of the panel. It happens on every input and on the internal apps as well, so it's obviously the TV.

A power cycle, pixel refresh, & a factory reset later and the flickering is worse.

The TV has around 1000 hours on it.

I've already submitted a warranty repair request through LG.com. For those that have done one, how long did it take to schedule an initial repair visit?

I submitted a warranty repair request on Tuesday for my 77C9 that started having the power supply noise.

The LG rep said someone would be in touch in 3-5 days but I got a call within mins from the tech who wanted to talk about the issue to order parts with the hope of only coming out once. He was hoping to come out Friday but sent me a text on Thursday saying the parts didn’t arrive yet. He sent me a text an hour ago and asked to come out this afternoon. I’m obviously not thrilled with this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey people. Super super happy with the quality of my picture now. It’s totally outstanding! However, I’m trying to find the best motion handling now. At the moment I’ve got Real Cinema on and obviously Tru Motion is off in this mode. Before I had Tru Motion set to Clear and again in that mode it disables Real Cinema.

I cant decide on Tru Motion Clear on or Real Cinema on. Some look better with Clear and some look better with Real Cinema. I don’t want to be changing the setting constantly so I’m looking for a setting to keep across all the board.

If I keep pausing and rewinding anymore movie footage to test I think I’m going to loose my mind!

Can I get you guys opinions please?

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Yes I read that it talked of unzipping a file - and when the extension was not .zip but .epk there was a little bit of confusion - but all ok now - george
When one takes the downloaded file: webOS4.5_O18_04.80.03.zip, then uses WinZip, or other program, to extract the files, one will see a file folder: lg_dtv, and a PowerPoint presentation: UPGrade Manual_webOS4.5.ppt. Copy the folder: lg_dtv to a USB flash drive. Insert the USB drive into the C9s USB port on the TV's back panel. Follow the prompts.

One used to have to make a folder called lg_dtv, then place the .epk file into it. Not any longer.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Hey people. Super super happy with the quality of my picture now. It’s totally outstanding! However, I’m trying to find the best motion handling now. At the moment I’ve got Real Cinema on and obviously Tru Motion is off in this mode. Before I had Tru Motion set to Clear and again in that mode it disables Real Cinema.

I cant decide on Tru Motion Clear on or Real Cinema on. Some look better with Clear and some look better with Real Cinema. I don’t want to be changing the setting constantly so I’m looking for a setting to keep across all the board.

If I keep pausing and rewinding anymore movie footage to test I think I’m going to loose my mind!

Can I get you guys opinions please?
You're going to get 10 different opinions from 10 different people. Everyone is different when it comes to motion...... Hell, I can turn on TM to Clear and my wife and daughter can not see SOE for the life of them.... ever.

Every setting has a compromise, so my advice? Now that you have tried a few different settings, pick one, put your remote in a drawer and just watch your new TV. In 3 months you'll forget how to even access the TrueMotion setting and you have enjoyed your TV for the entire time.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You're going to get 10 different opinions from 10 different people. Everyone is different when it comes to motion...... Hell, I can turn on TM to Clear and my wife and daughter can not see SOE for the life of them.... ever.

Every setting has a compromise, so my advice? Now that you have tried a few different settings, pick one, put your remote in a drawer and just watch your new TV. In 3 months you'll forget how to even access the TrueMotion setting and you have enjoyed your TV for the entire time.
I’m very close to that! When you have real Cinema on Cancels out true motion right? So you either have Tru Motion on OR Real Cinema? Is that right?

·
Registered
210 Posts
What is the recommended viewing height of a 55" LG C9 if I wall mount it? Below is the layout of my room. From left (where the TV will be mounted) to the right (where the bed headrest will be, where I will sit in the bed/lie down while watching) is around 2.9m.

I tried researching and there isn't one answer/formula for calculating the mount height so I'm kinda confused which to follow and figured I posted here and ask. Please help. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
When one takes the downloaded file: webOS4.5_O18_04.80.03.zip, then uses WinZip, or other program, to extract the files, one will see a file folder: lg_dtv, and a PowerPoint presentation: UPGrade Manual_webOS4.5.ppt. Copy the folder: lg_dtv to a USB flash drive. Insert the USB drive into the C9s USB port on the TV's back panel. Follow the prompts.

One used to have to make a folder called lg_dtv, then place the .epk file into it. Not any longer.
Not everywhere. The US version is still just an epk without the lg_dtv directory and powerpoint file.

·
Registered
530 Posts
What is the recommended viewing height of a 55" LG C9 if I wall mount it? Below is the layout of my room. From left (where the TV will be mounted) to the right (where the bed headrest will be, where I will sit in the bed/lie down while watching) is around 2.9m.

I tried researching and there isn't one answer/formula for calculating the mount height so I'm kinda confused which to follow and figured I posted here and ask. Please help. Thanks.
Traditionally, you want your eyes to align with the center of the screen. For maximum comfort, you want to be looking ahead as naturally as possible, not up or down. Viewing angles factor into this practice, too, but that is irrelevant with OLED panels.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not everywhere. The US version is still just an epk without the lg_dtv directory and powerpoint file.
Yes, but LG's support website lists a manual (TV_Software_Update_Guide_v3.pdf) with very detailed instructions very clearly right above the firmware update itself. You can't really miss that.

LG-Support-US-TV-Software-Update-Guide.jpg

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
If I turn of true motion I don’t get artefacts at all but some not all but some slow pan shots can look not so smooth. Is this just a trade off?

·
Registered
193 Posts
If I turn of true motion I don’t get artefacts at all but some not all but some slow pan shots can look not so smooth. Is this just a trade off?
If I turn off TM AND enable Real Cinema, for me to watch movies, 24fps content, is the best way to watch them

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Correct. I get alot of annoying artifacts with trumotion even on 1 so i keep real cinema on instead. And yes the panning scenes are horrible but thats what im living with for the time being. I tried turning both settings off and that didnt help either. Certainly can't watch with clear as SOE.

15161 - 15180 of 16027 Posts