AVS Forum banner

15501 - 15520 of 16026 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have a new TV source called TDS TV+, a cloud-based cable system similar to YouTube TV. The STB software for TDS TV+ is Android-based and powered by TiVO. I have it connected to my LG via HDMI 2. Right now Picture Mode when watching TDS TV+ seems to be limited/locked to HDR modes (Vivid, Bright, Standard, Game). There is no setting in the TDS TV+ to change/set picture output options. Is there something I can change in the LG settings to make it possible to change Picture Mode?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Hello everyone, I bought a (2019) 65 inch LG OLED C9 last week, it was the store demo unit, and it will be delivered next Tuesday. To me, it was by far the best picture in the store that I could see (Teppermans), but they did not have the top Sony model there(A9G). Apparently the 2020 models will be there soon, so last years models are heavily discounted. This will be my first 4k television, I currently use a 65 inch Panasonic Plasma, which has served me well, and will be moved to the bedroom. Can I assume that since it is their demo unit, that it will be calibrated, and updated to the latest specs? Any advice on settings, or what to do once it arrives would be greatly appreciated. For now, I will hook up my over air antenna, my media player, and Xbox 360. My plan is to get Netflix premium for 4k content, and possibly YouTube, I do not want to spend a fortune on a satellite or cable subscription if possible...I live in Canada. I held off buying a 4k set, basically waiting for prices to come down, and more 4k programming becoming available. Hopefully I made the right move.:)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Just recently got the 65" C9 from Best Buy and have been enjoying it so far.

The app selection isn't as good as what I could get with my Sony X930E so I bought a 4K Fire TV stick from Amazon. I was wondering if anyone else here uses Fire TV and knows if the USB port on the TV is sufficient enough to provide power to it? Also is it possible to pair the Magic remote to work with navigating the Fire TV interface?

You can power the Fire TV stick by using USB on the LG although you will get an initial message saying it’s not sufficient power or something but it works just fine

Controlling the Fire stick with TVRemote is done using CEC...there is a setting on the Fire Stick that needs to be enabled if it’s not by default

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
429 Posts
Soundbars with lg c9

Has anyone found a way to get a sound bar in front of this tv without blocking the screen? It’s in a cinder block basement so wall mounting is out of the question. Anyone have any workarounds or found a good stand that supports a spot for a sound bar?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
Has anyone found a way to get a sound bar in front of this tv without blocking the screen? It’s in a cinder block basement so wall mounting is out of the question. Anyone have any workarounds or found a good stand that supports a spot for a sound bar?

Go to Amazon and search for a VESA compatible TV stand, there's a lot of them. This is what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0122TVI7U

·
Registered
304 Posts
You can power the Fire TV stick by using USB on the LG although you will get an initial message saying it’s not sufficient power or something but it works just fine

Controlling the Fire stick with TVRemote is done using CEC...there is a setting on the Fire Stick that needs to be enabled if it’s not by default

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts

That will cause electrical damage in the long run, never over tax power on USB or any device.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
That will cause electrical damage in the long run, never over tax power on USB or any device.

I don’t want to start a big debate but I’ve had Fire sticks connected to USB on numerous TVs over the last few years and never had an issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don’t want to start a big debate but I’ve had Fire sticks connected to USB on numerous TVs over the last few years and never had an issue.

Folks are free to use their device as they please but your results do not change the laws of physics. I am speaking from my educational background in electrical and electronics and my past work experience with an integrated hardware vender, drawing more amps than what is available can blow your electrical rail and what is saving you is the built in protections to avoid that thus why you get those messages...if you choose to ignore them that you your choice but it is causing harm regardless if you do not see the negative results and I will leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Folks are free to use their device as they please but your results do not change the laws of physics. I am speaking from my educational background in electrical and electronics and my past work experience with an integrated hardware vender, drawing more amps than what is available can blow your electrical rail and what is saving you is the built in protections to avoid that thus why you get those messages...if you choose to ignore them that you your choice but it is causing harm regardless if you do not see the negative results and I will leave it at that.

The only message you get is when you first connect it and that comes from the Fire stick itself.

A lot of people utilize USB from the TV for their sticks and I’ve never read a single issue related to it. Thanks for chiming in, time to move on.

·
Vendor
26,611 Posts
Hello everyone, I bought a (2019) 65 inch LG OLED C9 last week, it was the store demo unit, and it will be delivered next Tuesday. To me, it was by far the best picture in the store that I could see (Teppermans), but they did not have the top Sony model there(A9G). Apparently the 2020 models will be there soon, so last years models are heavily discounted. This will be my first 4k television, I currently use a 65 inch Panasonic Plasma, which has served me well, and will be moved to the bedroom. Can I assume that since it is their demo unit, that it will be calibrated, and updated to the latest specs? Any advice on settings, or what to do once it arrives would be greatly appreciated. For now, I will hook up my over air antenna, my media player, and Xbox 360. My plan is to get Netflix premium for 4k content, and possibly YouTube, I do not want to spend a fortune on a satellite or cable subscription if possible...I live in Canada. I held off buying a 4k set, basically waiting for prices to come down, and more 4k programming becoming available. Hopefully I made the right move.:)
No you can not, the setting in the TV are probably worse then factory setting because who knows who has been playing with them. Probably better off doing a factory reset, make sure to get it out of store mode at least. As far as firmware updates, it should auto update sooner or later. You will be up to date as long as TV is connected to wifi.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Rather than use a VESA stand, I found this riser was slightly taller than my soundbar (a Sony HT-NT5), so I put the TV on it and the soundbar in front of the riser:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8N774Q

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
The only message you get is when you first connect it and that comes from the Fire stick itself.

A lot of people utilize USB from the TV for their sticks and I’ve never read a single issue related to it. Thanks for chiming in, time to move on.
Doesn't matter if you've personally read about the issues or not. We can "move on" as you like to say, now that we all know that it is definitely not recommended. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Doesn't matter if you've personally read about the issues or not. We can "move on" as you like to say, now that we all know that it is definitely not recommended. :rolleyes:

It absolutely matters because if this was such an issue we would hear about it especially on this board.

Now that we know it is Definitely not recommended? Based on what, the other poster? His opinion is no different than mine meaning they are both opinions so this statement isn’t accurate.

Stick to the facts and ignore opinions and the fact is there are a lot of people who use USB to power their Fire Sticks and other similar devices and it’s not an issue. FACT!

15501 - 15520 of 16026 Posts