AVS Forum banner

15601 - 15620 of 16077 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Well Thank you For Telling Me That My Eyes Did Not See What They Saw. What They Saw Was A Profound Change.

This TV Was Going Back Based On the First Several Hours Of Viewing.

The Longer It Played The Better The Picture Got. Never Experience "break in" in a TV before, the picture has always been the picture.

This TV Changed Profoundly From Out Of The Box. QUOTE: Profoundly.

A friend in the high end printing business says they won't even calibrate their Printers until after 300 hours use.

Again, Yellows were Wrong, Reds were Wrong, and The Entire Picture Looked Tan. All That Self Corrected with "time."

150 Hours Was Way Better, at 300 Hours or Thereabouts It Was An Incredible Picture.

My Question Was Did The Firmware Update From 3.60 Improve The Picture?

Picture is Incredible, Did The Update Take It To Yet Another Level, Or Did I forget How Incredible It Is. Marvelous Picture.

Don't Have The Time Nor The Inclination To Search Through The Book At The Beginning Of This Thread.

This Thread is for People to Help People, Not to be Nasty To People.

Oh, and Two Dealers Agreed With My Assessment.
I think you just "got used to it" like happens every time you buy something totally new...and like the professional calibrator tells you will happen after those services...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you just "got used to it" like happens every time you buy something totally new...and like the professional calibrator tells you will happen after those services...
I Know That Is Not The Case. Even black and white was lousy out of the box.

I Came From A Mitsubishi 75" LaserVue that died.

Red were not red. They took 150 hours to get to "true" red.

Yellows were not yellow, until a good amount of time. Yellows are now true.

The Tan Cast is nearly all gone. I found it most irritating.

Bottom line The Picture Here Went From Unacceptable To Stunning.

Thank you for your help. This TV is Fantastic.

Now for My Simple Question that started all this, did the firmware update from 3.60 improve the picture?

Seems even MORE Stunning After the update, but That I am Not Sure of.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Now for My Simple Question that started all this, did the firmware update from 3.60 improve the picture?
Unless you are a gamer, probably not. Since that time, audio has improved a great deal.

·
Vendor
26,686 Posts
  • A friend of mine works at LG corporate, he seemed to feel the reason for my display failure was I pushed it too hard, too early in its life without giving it a proper break in.
First off was this TV covered under warranty? Second I do not think there is such a thing as pushing your TV to hard, what about all the display units at the stores?

Your TV broke, just like anything else you buy it can fail at any time. Mack warranty allows warranties to be added as long as you have 90 days left of your original warranty, for the price point of a Mack warranty, they are very fair. Certainly will give you a piece of mind.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why was my post moved into this massive junk-jambalaya thread? Is this where all of the complaints and defective OLED TV comments go so LG does not get bad press? Does LG pay AVS to consolidate all the negativity here? JK :DDD

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi guys!
this boy: (see video description and comments for more details)
he says in the video that the LG C9 is fully compatible with Freesync and LFC trought HDMI VRR? (if i don't understand it wrong). "Officially" only on LG CX, i imagine for marketing suposes or something else?? he same thing that happens with Dolby Vision IQ and HGIG, two functions present and functionally on C9, not only on LG CX.

It's true? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Hi guys!
this boy: (see video description and comments for more details)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wia4ayQUp74
he says in the video that the LG C9 is fully compatible with Freesync and LFC trought HDMI VRR? (if i don't understand it wrong). "Officially" only on LG CX, i imagine for marketing suposes or something else?? he same thing that happens with Dolby Vision IQ and HGIG, two functions present and functionally on C9, not only on LG CX.

It's true? Thanks!
Not including Freesync in the C9's EDID is a marketing decision. You can use CRU to correct that. LFC only requires that the maximum refresh rate is 2.5 times the minimum. The C9 qualifies as it's VRR range is 40Hz to 120Hz.

Cinema Home with AI Brightness On is pretty much equivalent to Dolby Vision IQ.

Both the C9 and CX have HGIG mode.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Played Blair Witch the game today and finally gsync causes issue like I mentioned earlier. During night scenes in the game with the whole screen being almost dark grey, there’s intermittent flashing when the character walks around (which causes fps fluctuation and activates gsync). Disabling gsync fixes it. So there you go. Tweet this so LG can fix it.
I think this is an unreal engine 4 issue. This only happens to me in unreal engine 4 games. I first noticed it in Sea of thieves, then again with borderlands 3. People in this thread mentioned Jedi Fallen order has the issue, and I looked up Blair witch and yes it's unreal engine 4 as well.

I don't have this issue in other games i've tried. Modern warfare, Far Cry 5, Gunfire Reborn ect. It's not even an issue with unreal engine 3 games. I tested batman since i had it installed and no flicker.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I got my new 2019 65 inch C9 installed today, I only had about an hour to watch it before coming to work, but quite happy with it so far. I hooked up my over air antenna, and managed to watch local broadcasts in 1080P. I have no idea if the TV automatically upscales the video, or if I have to change settings or not. Just working my way through the Owners manual when I get a minute (at work). I think it is in demo mode, because everything seems awfully bright. I tried streaming a couple of 4K videos on YouTube, but it was buffering more than playing, so my internet speed could be a problem. The 4K videos on the TV’s internal hard drive were stunning for sure, I just need to get all my viewing content up to that standard, more to come...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Not including Freesync in the C9's EDID is a marketing decision. You can use CRU to correct that. LFC only requires that the maximum refresh rate is 2.5 times the minimum. The C9 qualifies as it's VRR range is 40Hz to 120Hz.

Cinema Home with AI Brightness On is pretty much equivalent to Dolby Vision IQ.

Both the C9 and CX have HGIG mode.

AMD said they would support hdmi 2.1 vrr in future driver updates anyway. It’s also a sure bet that both the new consoles will support the generic vrr implementation. Just for the time being this is the way to get Freesync working on the c9 if you have an amd card. It’s very easy.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I got my new 2019 65 inch C9 installed today, I only had about an hour to watch it before coming to work, but quite happy with it so far. I hooked up my over air antenna, and managed to watch local broadcasts in 1080P. I have no idea if the TV automatically upscales the video, or if I have to change settings or not. Just working my way through the Owners manual when I get a minute (at work). I think it is in demo mode, because everything seems awfully bright. I tried streaming a couple of 4K videos on YouTube, but it was buffering more than playing, so my internet speed could be a problem. The 4K videos on the TV’s internal hard drive were stunning for sure, I just need to get all my viewing content up to that standard, more to come...
1) Your C9 is a native 4K panel and will always upscale any source to 4K.

2) If I remember correctly, the out of the box picture pre-set is Standard. Try one of the ISF pre-sets, or Cinema to get the most accurate out of the box mode.

**You have to change and adjust each picture pre-set for all HDMI inputs, as well as for each onboard steaming app, and not only for all inputs, but also for SDR, HDR, and Dolby Vision separately as well.... To change HDR and Dolby Vision, you have to actually be playing HDR or DV! (easy to get frustrated not knowing this)

It's a pain to set up your entire TV, but once it's done the TV will remember which pre-set picture mode to use for SDR/HDR/DV on that specific HDMI input or onboard app.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
1) Your C9 is a native 4K panel and will always upscale any source to 4K.

2) If I remember correctly, the out of the box picture pre-set is Standard. Try one of the ISF pre-sets, or Cinema to get the most accurate out of the box mode.

**You have to change and adjust each picture pre-set for all HDMI inputs, as well as for each onboard steaming app, and not only for all inputs, but also for SDR, HDR, and Dolby Vision separately as well.... To change HDR and Dolby Vision, you have to actually be playing HDR or DV! (easy to get frustrated not knowing this)

It's a pain to set up your entire TV, but once it's done the TV will remember which pre-set picture mode to use for SDR/HDR/DV on that specific HDMI input or onboard app.
Thanks D Bone, earlier today I changed quite a few of the settings to the ones somebody provided a link to for me (last week). The results are much better, it is a little hard to find a lot of the settings for me right now, just kind of getting used to the remote etc. I have only used over the air antenna so far, but plan on connecting my XBOX 360, an external media player, and getting Netflix Premium within the next week. Thanks for the info that I have to go through these settings on ALL inputs, kind of a pain, but worth it.
I will be buying the new XBOX later in the year, so 4K bluerays can also be played. Is physical media a thing of the past though? Right now, my internet speed might be a bottleneck for me.
Regarding my media player, it is basically an android box that I plug external hard drives in to, and connect Via HDMI. Not sure if there is a better approach using the TV as the media player, but the few 4K movies I have refuse to load onto my 64 gig thumb drive. It keeps telling me there is not enough room on the drive, even though I delete everything off it, ugh! No problem loading them on my western digital my passport drive however. Sorry for the rambling.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks D Bone, earlier today I changed quite a few of the settings to the ones somebody provided a link to for me (last week). The results are much better, it is a little hard to find a lot of the settings for me right now, just kind of getting used to the remote etc. I have only used over the air antenna so far, but plan on connecting my XBOX 360, an external media player, and getting Netflix Premium within the next week. Thanks for the info that I have to go through these settings on ALL inputs, kind of a pain, but worth it.
I will be buying the new XBOX later in the year, so 4K bluerays can also be played. Is physical media a thing of the past though? Right now, my internet speed might be a bottleneck for me.
Regarding my media player, it is basically an android box that I plug external hard drives in to, and connect Via HDMI. Not sure if there is a better approach using the TV as the media player, but the few 4K movies I have refuse to load onto my 64 gig thumb drive. It keeps telling me there is not enough room on the drive, even though I delete everything off it, ugh! No problem loading them on my western digital my passport drive however. Sorry for the rambling.

4K Blu-ray quality is still much than any streaming services

As for streaming apps, I suggest that you just use the internal apps from C9. I did some testing and found that the internal apps (Netflix, Prime, Youtube and Disney Plus) all provide better audio and video quality than my AppleTV 4K, XBox One X and Firestick 4K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
...I did some testing and found that the internal apps (Netflix, Prime, Youtube and Disney Plus) all provide better audio and video quality than my AppleTV 4K, XBox One X and Firestick 4K.
I actually just tested this within the last hour - as far as I can tell, the internal YouTube app doesn't output sound beyond stereo. You can search YouTube and find demos for 5.1 and Atmos, but they didn't seem to be sending any sound to my surrounds, just the fronts. If others have found otherwise, I'd certainly appreciate chiming in - it's always possible that I've mis-set something on either the C9 or my A/V setup.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
^I get stereo as well through youtube, I believe it's always been that way.

On a side note just got done setting up my new C9! Been on a carousel as of late after selling my 77c8...glad to be back!!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Would someone with a 77-inch model tell me the approximate distance from the center of the panel to the side HDMI input? I need to determine how long of a cable I need. Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
^I get stereo as well through youtube, I believe it's always been that way.

On a side note just got done setting up my new C9! Been on a carousel as of late after selling my 77c8...glad to be back!!!
I'm getting stereo on YouTube now through both C7 and C9. Odd thing is, there was a brief moment where 5.1 did work on the C7's internal app via ARC to my 4300h.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2784185-2017-lg-c7-b7-owners-thread-no-price-talk-878.html#post57696794

I tested it again just now and, alas, it's gone.

15601 - 15620 of 16077 Posts