AVS Forum banner

16001 - 16020 of 16724 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Question about my new (to me) C9 77" and instant game response.

I had a 65” C9 in my basement that I replaced with a 77” C9. With the 65” C9 the instant game response notification would pop up when playing my Xbox one x. The Xbox is hooked up to a Denon x3600. Nothing has changed in the setup except the TV. I have HDMI deep color and instant game response turned on in the TV settings. It worked fine before with the Xbox > Denon > 65” c9.
I contacted Denon and this is what they said:
"That has to do the new C9's EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) not negotiating well with the Xbox when going through an HDMI repeating device like the AVR. As you already know the X3600H supports ALLM and worked with the prior C9. To have the new C9s EDID altered please contact LG and report the issue so they can address it with firmware to the newer C9."

Has anyone else had issues with instant game response using an AVR? Any help would be appreciated!
That's a little bit of bovine excrement on Denon's part. The EDID is not negotiated. The C9 sends it to the Denon, the Denon butchers it by tossing any video related stuff it doesn't know about and replaces the audio portion with its own. The ALLM flag in the EDID makes it across no problem.

Nothing has changed in the EDID for video after the HDMI 2.1 FRL stuff was added. So there is nothing for LG to fix and my X6500H passes the ALLM flag in the EDID no problem.

That being said, have you updated the C9 77" to the latest firmware?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Apple TV does all decoding internally. If you use Netflix on the Apple TV, it decodes the E-AC-3 and then passes it along via PCM. The TV apps send the native encoded format so what you are seeing is expected.
I think @timkwong2 is saying it’s inconsistent with the AppleTv4K and the Sharc....that he sometimes DOESNT get pcm and instead the receiver flags it as DD+ with Atmos

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
That's a little bit of bovine excrement on Denon's part. The EDID is not negotiated. The C9 sends it to the Denon, the Denon butchers it by tossing any video related stuff it doesn't know about and replaces the audio portion with its own. The ALLM flag in the EDID makes it across no problem.

Nothing has changed in the EDID for video after the HDMI 2.1 FRL stuff was added. So there is nothing for LG to fix and my X6500H passes the ALLM flag in the EDID no problem.

That being said, have you updated the C9 77" to the latest firmware?
I have no issues with instant game response when I run my Xbox X through my Denon x6400h and then to the TV. If I connect direct to the TV I also don't have any issues. That user has some odd issues...I would suggest power cycling the receiver to see if that makes it work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think @timkwong2 is saying it’s inconsistent with the AppleTv4K and the Sharc....that he sometimes DOESNT get pcm and instead the receiver flags it as DD+ with Atmos
Let me clarify.

I know SHARC is capable of taking LPCM, my issue is that I don’t know when I am supposed to get LPCM

When I get DD+ w/Atmos, I am not sure if this is due to the source material or due to incorrect setup in my AVR

Honestly, all these audio formats and setting are getting out of control. It is so freaking complicated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Is there a reason that a -3fps cap applies to 4k/60hz? Like I said before when playing on my 144hz monitor with vsync off in game and nvcp, I get zero tearing at <40fps and >144fps. Why does the 4k/60hz need special parameters? Is it just a function of how the LG processes it, or have I just been using it wrong on my monitor the whole time?

V-Sync on in NVCP, V-Sync OFF in game. Ill try it out tonight.
You can refer to this video for some knowledge as to why this and that happens and why you should limit the framerate below the maximum refresh rate of the monitor.

But to summarize, it is not just something to do with the latency but TEARING as well. If you want to use G-Sync and not V-Sync for the tearing, then you must limit. Else, you are just using V-Sync and with it, the higher delays that V-Sync brings in as well. Please watch the entire video for the full explanation especially on the reason why for 144Hz, you have to limit it even further than just 3fps down to 138Hz. (though previously, he used to say around 142fps in his older videos that brought this issue to our attention all those years back)

You can see all these explained around the 2m 30s mark. Just watch the full video for the explanation.

As for why V-Sync ON on the NVCP instead of the Game's in-game settings itself, explanation given on the 7m25s mark.

·
Registered
133 Posts
WebOS App questions. I've noticed a couple of things with the baked in apps and am wondering if others are seeing the same.
1) AppleTV is often in full screen when the picture should be letterboxed. For example, "Greyhound". When I check the aspect ratio and play with the options, it switches to a letterboxed format even when I return to the same settings (original and Just "on or off"). Usually, if I switch to something else and then back, it remains correct.
2) I can no longer access Dolby Vision and Atmos on Amazon Prime. The first season of "Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan" was originally broadcast in DV/DA but is now HDR/DD+.

Just wondering if others have noticed this. (I know, not really worth worrying about)

Art
1) same issue here

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Just upgraded from 65B6 to 65C9. I took a chance on a Micro Center refurb at $1499 plus tax. The panel I got looked new with film on front and back, but the tv had 185 hours on it, an obvious return. Manufacturing date of Nov 2019. That being said, the panel I got was flawless as far as uniformity and banding. Best I’ve seen. But after a couple nights dialing things in I’m noticing elevated blacks on HDMI HDR sources. Very easy to see in the opening of Dark Knight Rises. To get rid of the elevated blacks I have to drop brightness to 46-47. Any thoughts? Should I return? Have LG replace hdmi/main board? TIA. Every Oled I’ve owned had perfect blacks at brightness 50.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You will not get tearing if you have vsync turned on, with or without gsync enabled

Yup. I know. I was hesitant to put that statement. But coming from the fact that he didn't even get G-Sync letalone using V-Sync with his C9, I just wanted him to know that it is about which technology you want to depend on. You want V-Sync to eliminate your tearing or G-Sync?
If you want V-Sync, then by all means, there is no need for him to have that FPS limit. But if he wants to make sure the TV is using G-Sync, then you have to put that FPS limit to ensure you are using Variable Refresh Rate technology that the C9 is capable of as opposed to V-Sync.
Then adding on to that, G-Sync having more latency advantage over V-Sync, it gives even more reason for him to want to do this FPS limit thing. Because if he left it alone, it is a double whammy of not even utilizing VRR on his C9 PLUS, him having more lag. That is what I was trying to explain. :)

·
Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Yup. I know. I was hesitant to put that statement. But coming from the fact that he didn't even get G-Sync letalone using V-Sync with his C9, I just wanted him to know that it is about which tec You want V-Sync to eliminate your tearing or G-Sync?
If you want V-Sync, then by all means, there is no need for him to have that FPS limit. But if he wants to make sure the TV is using G-Sync, then you have to put that FPS limit to ensure you are using Variable Refresh Rate technology that the C9 is capable of as opposed to V-Sync.
Then adding on to that, G-Sync having more latency advantage over V-Sync, it gives even more reason for him to want to do this FPS limit thing. Because if he left it alone, it is a double whammy of not even utilizing VRR on his C9 PLUS, him having more lag. That is what I was trying to explain. :)
I was answering the question why the cap is needed. The answer is latency. Tearing has nothing to do with the cap. Your reply made it sound like it did and that’s what I’m clarifying.

But yes, he is not using gsync as it requires at least one of the vsync settings to be enabled. Without gsync, whether he has a cap or not is moot.

·
Vendor
27,532 Posts
Unfortunately it is always the same topic with the manufacturers. The same question can be asked why LG still uses 100 MBit Ethernet instead of a simple 1GBit LAN port. We're probably talking about cents in this case or sth. around $1 per device.
Maybe its all software compared to hardware to make these changes that make it so expensive.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Let me clarify.

I know SHARC is capable of taking LPCM, my issue is that I don’t know when I am supposed to get LPCM

When I get DD+ w/Atmos, I am not sure if this is due to the source material or due to incorrect setup in my AVR

Honestly, all these audio formats and setting are getting out of control. It is so freaking complicated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whats crazy Is that we have to go to forums to problem solve all these tech issues. But I’ve gotten way more issues solved here than I have on the phone with any tech support.

To the Apple TV4 audio oddity when I connect it straight to my AVR and play back a 5.1 movie it sends it as LPCM5.1 and when I play back an Atmos movie it sends it as LPCM7.1 So both ways it’s lossless audio. I’m hoping if I get the Sharc and connect the AppleTv to the C9 I can still get lossless LPCM sent to my AVR via eArc that’s why I was curious what it was doing with you.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Whats crazy Is that we have to go to forums to problem solve all these tech issues. But I’ve gotten way more issues solved here than I have on the phone with any tech support.

To the Apple TV4 audio oddity when I connect it straight to my AVR and play back a 5.1 movie it sends it as LPCM5.1 and when I play back an Atmos movie it sends it as LPCM7.1 So both ways it’s lossless audio. I’m hoping if I get the Sharc and connect the AppleTv to the C9 I can still get lossless LPCM sent to my AVR via eArc that’s why I was curious what it was doing with you.
Again, the Apple TV does all decoding internally. Any streaming service you use will have lossy audio streams as either AC-3 or E-AC-3, the Apple TV decodes it and then sends it out in a lossless container but the source is still lossy. If a streaming service has Atmos, it is lossy E-AC-3 and then the Apple TV outputs in Dolby MAT 2.0 via PCM. The only exception would be is if you had a local backup of a disc with lossless audio, it would then internally decode TrueHD or DTS-HD and pass via PCM as well.

The other poster is comparing their TVs internal app which will send the native encoded E-AC-3 vs. the ATV which decodes prior to outputting the audio.

There is no advantage to connecting the ATV directly to the TV and using eARC.

·
Registered
236 Posts
kids and I started the harry potter series during lockdown. between the first 7 and the last (deathly hallows pt2), we picked up the C9. I gotta say it's pretty cool to see the 4k HDR in comparison. Our previous vizio m55 wasn't ancient but it wasn't hdr or 4k and the special effects with the wands and fire are just breathtaking. There's a scene where there are some super bright flashes and my 8 year old literally covered his eyes. This tv is awesome.

that is all :)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
kids and I started the harry potter series during lockdown. between the first 7 and the last (deathly hallows pt2), we picked up the C9. I gotta say it's pretty cool to see the 4k HDR in comparison. Are previous vizio m55 wasn't ancient but it wasn't hdr or 4k and the special effects with the wands and fire are just breathtaking. There's a scene where there are some super bright flashes and my 8 year old literally covered his eyes. This tv is awesome.

that is all :)
Lost me at Harry Potter..... Lol

Glad to like and enjoy the tv though. It's a great set

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I was able to pick up the Sharc last night at one of the local Amazon pick up locations. It was a breeze to hook up and can confirm 100% that this little device does work and works extremely well. I have my Xbox One X connected to HDMI 3 so I can get ALLM/VRR from the Xbox One X and the TV. I then run a HDMI cable from the C9's HDMI 2 to the Sharc and then a HDMI cable from the Sharc to one of the HDMI In ports on my Denon x6400h receiver.

Once i powered everything up, my receiver was showing Dobly Atmos. I then checked to ensure the TV was on HDMI Arc, Passthrough and eArc as on. I then ran the Dolby Atmos app on the Xbox One X that has several Atmos video clips and they all sounded great. The big test for me was making sure there was no audio delay while playing games and sure enough it was perfect. No audio delay at all. It short, the audio sounds exactly including no delay as if I had the Xbox One X running from the AVR to the TV. But with this little box, I am able to go straight to the TV to take advantage of VRR and other features and then use the Sharc to still get Atmos audio!

I also ran my PC into the TV direct and was able to set up Atmos and get the same exact results with the Sharc and my PC. It is just a fantastic little device.

In short, this little $150.00 box just saved me from spending anywhere from $1500-$3000 on a new receiver. This box does exactly what I want it to do and it was just plug n play easy to set up. I know eventually I will get a new receiver, but right now I have no need until I have "too" many devices that need HDMI 2.1. Even with that said the current HDMI 2.1 receivers only have 1 2.1 port on them.

If any of you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

16001 - 16020 of 16724 Posts