AVS Forum banner

16041 - 16060 of 16436 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out what (if any) benefit the "Instant Game Response" setting is for my C9. The on-screen setup says that "if a connected device does not support Instant Game Response, it may not function properly." So, I have a couple of questions:

1) Does this mean the device directly connected to the C9 must support this (in my case, a Denon X6400H), or anybody in the chain (like my OPPO disc players).

2) I noticed that it was enabled when I turned on the Deep Color setting. I do not use the C9 for gaming. Can "Instant Game Response" be turned off while leaving Deep Color on?

Thanks!
Even though you may have this option toggled On in the C9, the C9 won't even enter into the Instant Game Response mode (LG's word for ALLM: Auto Low Latency Mode) unless you have an output devices telling the C9 that it is capable of it.

I connect my PC to the C9. My C9 obviously has Instant Game Response turned On. But as mentioned, the lag is quite obvious when moving the mouse around. It feels sluggish because there is a significant lag since the TV is not in ALLM mode. But once I turn on G-Sync capability on the PC for the C9 with ALLM, you can expect to see the 'Instant Game Response' logo appear on the top right of the TV when you switch to that input aka, my PC for this moment. So it's similar to having HDR or Dolby Vision play where you can see the logo to tell you the TV has accepted the mode. And of course, with the TV now in Instant Game Response mode (ALLM), mouse movements and all feels snappy. So it's more for PC use as well as games (which the next gen consoles should also support) as opposed to your typical BD players that see it as something they do not care to adopt any time soon. Maybe in the future.

1) Yes, the device must support or else, the TV won't enter this mode at all. So no. Any device connected to your old Denon (this receiver clearly cannot support ALLM and will drop the ALLM metadata before it outputs to your TV) will not let any devices connect through that receiver and into the C9 let it trigger ALLM on the C9.

2) Yes, you can. But it will not affect anything. Since as mentioned, your TV will show that 'Instant Game Response' logo if you actually have a device that will trigger your TV to enter that mode. Else, it will not bother you at all even if you leave it On or Off.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The only thing on the TV side was to put HDMI Arc as the sound output, passthrough and enabling eArc. On the Xbox One X I already had it to output bitstream and Dolby Atmos. The Xbox sends all audio out as Dolby Atmos, it basically upmixes games that are not Dolby Atmos to Atmos. It sounds great, but the games that have official Atmos support sound even better.
One more question about the Sharc.
When you turn on your receiver do the tv’s internal speakers still automatically shutoff even though your connecting the TV to one of your receiver’s HDMI IN ports and not receiver’s Arc port?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Even though you may have this option toggled On in the C9, the C9 won't even enter into the Instant Game Response mode (LG's word for ALLM: Auto Low Latency Mode) unless you have an output devices telling the C9 that it is capable of it.

I connect my PC to the C9. My C9 obviously has Instant Game Response turned On. But as mentioned, the lag is quite obvious when moving the mouse around. It feels sluggish because there is a significant lag since the TV is not in ALLM mode. But once I turn on G-Sync capability on the PC for the C9 with ALLM, you can expect to see the 'Instant Game Response' logo appear on the top right of the TV when you switch to that input aka, my PC for this moment. So it's similar to having HDR or Dolby Vision play where you can see the logo to tell you the TV has accepted the mode. And of course, with the TV now in Instant Game Response mode (ALLM), mouse movements and all feels snappy. So it's more for PC use as well as games (which the next gen consoles should also support) as opposed to your typical BD players that see it as something they do not care to adopt any time soon. Maybe in the future.

1) Yes, the device must support or else, the TV won't enter this mode at all. So no. Any device connected to your old Denon that clearly cannot support ALLM will not let any devices connect through that receiver and into the C9 let it trigger ALLM on the C9.

2) Yes, you can. But it will not affect anything. Since as mentioned, your TV will show that 'Instant Game Response' logo if you actually have a device that will trigger your TV to enter that mode. Else, it will not bother you at all even if you leave it On or Off.
Thank you LiLAsN for your explanation! That is exactly what I was looking for (If I ever get a hold of the idiot that decided not to have a pdf - or even printed - manual for the C9...). I am trying to troubleshoot a "No Signal" problem, and am really dragging the bottom of the proverbial barrel. Thanks to you, I am one less possibility closer...:)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Thank you LiLAsN for your explanation! That is exactly what I was looking for (If I ever get a hold of the idiot that decided not to have a pdf - or even printed - manual for the C9...). I am trying to troubleshoot a "No Signal" problem, and am really dragging the bottom of the proverbial barrel. Thanks to you, I am one less possibility closer...:)
If you needed the owners manual, you either could have went to lg.com or just searched Google

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
27,137 Posts
If you are impressed with an old movie that was created in the HDR era, but only re-done for HDR, wait till you play something really awesome. Take Netflix Lost in Space for example. The HDR and 4K resolution will blow away what you've just seen. -Great family show BTW...
Yes that is a great series ;)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
If you needed the owners manual, you either could have went to lg.com or just searched Google
I know that, but it the only manual they offer for the C9 is either online, or you can downlod it in the form of multiple HTML files. I am talking about a (searchable) pdf file...

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I know that, but it the only manual they offer for the C9 is either online, or you can downlod it in the form of multiple HTML files. I am talking about a (searchable) pdf file...
Unless I'm not understanding, I was able to download to my pc & my phone and it downloaded as a pdf and it has a search feature

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Unless I'm not understanding, I was able to download to my pc & my phone and it downloaded as a pdf and it has a search feature
This is little more than a quick-start guide (how to hook it up, put on a table, here's what the remote buttons do, etc). Amazing that so little information can take up so much space (almost 8M...?!?) Look a little further down on LG's web site, under "User Manual". The Manual can either be opened online, or downloaded as a bunch of HTML files. See Denon for a user manual done right...:)

·
Registered
167 Posts

1) Yes, the device must support or else, the TV won't enter this mode at all. So no. Any device connected to your old Denon (this receiver clearly cannot support ALLM and will drop the ALLM metadata before it outputs to your TV) will not let any devices connect through that receiver and into the C9 let it trigger ALLM on the C9.

Interesting I was going to post a question if anyone had issues with IGR not working when it was once working fine. I been playing just one game and IGR worked all the time. Now it does not for some reason. Only thing I did was update to the latest NVIDIA drivers. (Not sure that could be the culprit or not) I have to now manually select Game mode when I launch the game the past week or so. 🤔

I'll try disconnecting the HDMI cable from PC and the TV when I get home to see if somethings just hungup. I do get the IGR notification logo thats its enabled. I've also rebooted my PC

Maybe I can post this in the gaming thread also.

·
Registered
477 Posts
This is little more than a quick-start guide (how to hook it up, put on a table, here's what the remote buttons do, etc). Amazing that so little information can take up so much space (almost 8M...?!?) Look a little further down on LG's web site, under "User Manual". The Manual can either be opened online, or downloaded as a bunch of HTML files. See Denon for a user manual done right...:)
The issue, I expect, is that the Denon doesn't change functionality with firmware updates. I find online manuals annoying, too, but that allows the company to update them as the devices' capabilities (and menu items) change over time.

That said, the PDF that I downloaded from the LG web site at the end of last year when I got my C9 does actually call itself an Owner's Manual. That may be what you're referring to as a Quick Start guide, but there's also a 13MB PDF of the actual single-sheet, two sided Quick Start guide on the LG site. The PDF Owner's Manual is an owner's manual for the hardware, with an extensive section on ports, RC codes, command references, networks settings, etc. It may not be what you want, but it's actually considerably more detailed than any TV user manual I've gotten in the last 20 years.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
...but it's actually considerably more detailed than any TV user manual I've gotten in the last 20 years.
I get what you are saying, and your point is well taken. My previous TV to the C9 was a Panny plasma, and the user manual was quite comprehensive. Same goes for its predecessor, a Mitsubishi rear projection. It's just frustrating when you can't find good documentation of the TVs more detailed functionality, like what's under each menu (and where each menu is), detailed descriptions of what every option does, what effects what, what is valid under different input signals, etc.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Got the Sharc today and installed it as per the instructions. I’m having an issue though where it’ll now turn on my AVR whether I want to use it or not.

Before when I connected my AVR via Arc I was able to just turn on the AVR myself when I wanted to use the surround speakers and the tv would automatically mute the internal speakers. But now it’s turning on the unit on its own and even if I manually shut the AVR it keeps turning back on.

I emailed support to see what they suggest.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Anyone transport their LG C9 (mine is 65") without removing the stand and re-boxing in a u-haul, etc? How did you do it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Got the Sharc today and installed it as per the instructions. I’m having an issue though where it’ll now turn on my AVR whether I want to use it or not.

Before when I connected my AVR via Arc I was able to just turn on the AVR myself when I wanted to use the surround speakers and the tv would automatically mute the internal speakers. But now it’s turning on the unit on its own and even if I manually shut the AVR it keeps turning back on.

I emailed support to see what they suggest.
Try turn off CEC in your AVR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Try turn off CEC in your AVR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I turned CEC off on my AVR as initially it seemed to be getting confused and wouldn’t get the signal to the speakers, despite the Sharc input looking right. I thought it may be something to do with the AVR’s output that it still going to the TV. Anyway that worked for me. I don’t care about the AVR automatically switching as its now almost permanently on HDMI 1 input which is the TV’s output.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Deciding between the c9 and cx if anyone was in the same position what made you choose the c9 besides price

·
Registered
134 Posts
Deciding between the c9 and cx if anyone was in the same position what made you choose the c9 besides price
Well... I originally bought a CX and then ended up swapping it for a C9 (see OLED panel uniformity thread). I would have kept it, if it were to for the panel issues I had - I’m generally a fan of the latest version of tech for longevity. I think it depends how price sensitive you are and where you live too. Here in UK there is a big difference (I got nearly 40% on the swap). The CX seemed to have slightly better motion processing options and I would say switching the AI stuff on was marginally better result than on the C9 I expect due to the faster processors (I hear purists sharpening the knives right now). But the CX loses the DTS support which may be important to you (that’s useful for me now I use BluRays with sound to AVR via TV and eARC/Sharc), or full 48GHz support (niche gaming use case only). The CX owners thread start has a good breakdown of the differences.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I turned CEC off on my AVR as initially it seemed to be getting confused and wouldn’t get the signal to the speakers, despite the Sharc input looking right. I thought it may be something to do with the AVR’s output that it still going to the TV. Anyway that worked for me. I don’t care about the AVR automatically switching as its now almost permanently on HDMI 1 input which is the TV’s output.

I tried turning off CEC on my receiver, that didn’t do it. For now the workaround has been to disconnect the Sharc’s usb power when I want to use the tv’s speakers and plug it back in when I want to use the receiver. Doing this automatically switches the tv’s output audio without me having to go into the menu which is what I want. I emailed tech support and told them I might get a cheap USB On/off switch off amazon so I’m not constantly unplugging and they said it was a good workaround for now and wouldn’t damage the unit or void the warranty.

Speaking of the tech support I have to echo the statements here of a few people and mention how excellent they are in responding. Sometimes I’d get an email alert in the middle of the night even. It’s unparalleled tech support this day and age.

·
Registered
234 Posts
2 weeks ago had this debate. read a lot of threads, watched a lot of video reviews. It was price. Nobody, despite the fact that it seemed like they were trying to justify it, could justify the extra 200-400 for the CX. A slightly faster processor and maybe some slightly better video processing? There was literally nothing that it offered that the c9 didn't for that kind of money. And with that money saved I'm buying atmos speakers.

So if money is of zero consequence to you, I'd suggest an even better tv than the cx or c9 lol. Otherwise use the money saved for an upgrade somewhere else.

Reactions: william06
16041 - 16060 of 16436 Posts