AVS Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 2372 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
................If I were Leclerc, I would tell the team that the next time they have a "plan" for me to let Seb by, they can go get stuffed. The WDC and the Constructors are out of reach, let the damn drivers race.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong BG, (or anyone else) but I have been watching and following F1 for many years and have read a few books about the history of F1 and NEVER in that whole time have Ferrari allowed their drivers to race!
As far as I can tell anyway. They have always had to follow team orders with No.1 and No.2 drivers.

The difference now is the young No.2 is proving to be better than the old No.1. :eek:
And having been thrashed by Red Bull and then Mercedes for many years, now they are getting a bit desperate.
Not good when combined with the passionate, excitable Italian nature. :)

Red Bull trained Seb well. Stuff the team and the other driver, it's all about him!
Typical of the modern age actually, a lot of childish, narcissistic behaviour, IMO anyway.

Fake drama whilst Mercedes grind out another year of domination.

AND, we may even have "reverse grids" to look forward too!!??:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Just take a look at IndyCar to see what happens when you close the pits under a safety car. Either way, it can influence the race. If you close the pits, then it heavily favors those who've already pitted. IndyCar has fuel to contend with, but in F1, with no fuel, if they close the pits for a safety car, you can almost bet everyone would always start on the soft and then switch to the medium or hard. If not, if they've built a gap when the safety car comes out, the pits get closed, everyone bunches up, they've just lost any advantage they gained.

Fair enough if it's a real safety car that lets the field bunch up, but with the virtual safety car the race is basically just neutralized and distances between cars are maintained. So under the VSC it should be fairer to everyone to close the pits. And with the appropriate speed reduction under the VSC I would say the real safety car is very rarely needed these days.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
The teams/FIA are discussing the VSC rules, apparently. It was supposed to "neutralise" the race but it's clearly not doing that if people can gain with it, so people aren't happy.

In the BBC's chequered flag podcast from yesterday Jolyon Palmer's suggestion of a 10-second penalty if you pit (ie like when they have a normal penalty, the mechanics aren't allowed to touch the car for the first 10 seconds) made a lot of sense. It would allow pitstops, but you would ideally not gain any time, or lose any time, compared with if you had gone around the track under the VSC. I can imagine a system where the "penalty" was different for each track, calculated to be some "neutral" value.

They also reminded us that F1 did used to close the pitlane at the start of a Safety Car period. I also remember anyone who was in the pitlane at the time, was trapped and had to wait for the whole train to go past! It happened in the Canadian GP at least. But what happened was that some people had no choice but to pit (either running out of fuel, or had punctures etc) so they pitted anyway, then got a penalty for "pitting when the pit lane was closed", then had to pit again to serve that penalty, and it was just all a mess. So they stopped closing the pit lane for Safety Cars.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Will Renault remain in F1?

With the news that McLaren are going to go back to using Mercedes engines in 2021 doubts about Renault staying in F1 have increased.
I think it is at least a 50-50 chance that Renault had a quiet word to McLaren and told them that they would need a new engine supplier as Renault will be pulling the plug.
Which would be the sensible thing to do. imo.
Under the current rules and the extra money going to Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes, Renault is way behind the proverbial 8 ball.
It would make far more sense for Renault/Nissan to leave F1 and go to FE as that would help with their electric car sales.
At the moment they are on a hiding to nothing and the chances of them catching up to the top three teams is practically zero, imo.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
I would say it is a possibility, but what are they going to do with that massive investment that they have put into Estone and Viry? I think a decision won't be made until after the '21 regulations are in place.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
It unfortunately looks like the split windshield on a pre World War 2 sedan.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
It unfortunately looks like the split windshield on a pre World War 2 sedan.
How have Red Bull managed to go from the original nice sleek one:

to that boxy monstrosity!?

It's going to wreck the aerodynamics surely. What happens if next season, no-one can follow each other? They'll have to introduce DRS :D:D

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
How have Red Bull managed to go from the original nice sleek one:

to that boxy monstrosity!?

It's going to wreck the aerodynamics surely. What happens if next season, no-one can follow each other? They'll have to introduce DRS :D:D
Surely airflow into the engine cover behind the driver’s head will be disrupted.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Surely airflow into the engine cover behind the driver’s head will be disrupted.

On the IndyCar, it’s just a roll hoop at top, not an engine air intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BGLeduc

·
Registered
717 Posts
Only 511,000 Live+Same day USA TV viewers for Russian F1. 179,000 ages 18-49.

574,000 and 209,000 for Singapore.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked/tvratings/skedball-tvratings

And Liberty Media still thinks there is a large, untapped interest in Formula 1 in the USA. Where are they? I have been a F1 fan for more years than most people here have been alive, and I have never found them.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
FE just put out their final schedule. I wish they would get rid of the pretense of a '19-'20 season. There is one race weekend in '19.

In other FE news, you guys better sit down for this. Venturi (headed by Susie Wolff) is switching to .................... Mercedes.:eek: Who could have guessed?:)

I didn't realize that ZF was making the powertrain for Venturi and HWA last year. They are coming back next year with Mahindra.

Unless my math is off, there will be ten manufacturers in FE this year.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Enjoy your morning, gents:

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/corvette/build-and-price/trim

I did a build with all the performance options I could find and it came out to about $72K.

For comparison, I did a build of a base 718 Cayman, and a 718 Cayman S, with comparable performance related equipment. $68k for the base, $80k for the S.

Unless the Vette turns out to be a rolling turd, it is going to be pretty hard to justify the price of a Cayman compared to a new Vette. And forget about anything in the 911 range.

I also read that there are dealers lining up to sell the Vette w/o any ADM, although of course there will be others that will ask that you grab your ankles if you want to be among the first on your block with the new Chevy.

While I ain't selling the GTS any time soon, the new Vette has caused the value proposition on a lot of P Cars to head south.

·
Registered
21,193 Posts
Enjoy your morning, gents:

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/corvette/build-and-price/trim

I did a build with all the performance options I could find and it came out to about $72K.

For comparison, I did a build of a base 718 Cayman, and a 718 Cayman S, with comparable performance related equipment. $68k for the base, $80k for the S.

Unless the Vette turns out to be a rolling turd, it is going to be pretty hard to justify the price of a Cayman compared to a new Vette. And forget about anything in the 911 range.

I also read that there are dealers lining up to sell the Vette w/o any ADM, although of course there will be others that will ask that you grab your ankles if you want to be among the first on your block with the new Chevy.

While I ain't selling the GTS any time soon, the new Vette has caused the value proposition on a lot of P Cars to head south.
Thanks for the link. It was fun! In the ‘80s when I went middle age crazy, I bought a couple of C4 Vettes and drove the second one for nine years, finally selling it in 1993. In 2000, I considered buying another one but after test driving a C5, decided that I had become too long in the tooth for that sort of thing. Thanks for the reminder of some fun times.

Reactions: Panson and BGLeduc

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Wishful thinking. I don't think Alonso has any interest in a full season in Indycar. It is a shame, as I also don't think he will win Indy without it.

Hinch supposedly upset SPAM with the ESPN magazine spread. Robin Miller has basically put him into a RLL car.

Not sure who SPAM will go with. Daly is supposedly out. There doesn't seem to be any rumblings out of Europe. Wickens probably has another year of rehab. Maybe one of the Lights drivers.

2021 - 2040 of 2372 Posts