AVS Forum banner

1641 - 1660 of 2372 Posts

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
Let's hope that never happens.

Side comment after watching a bit of my 1st F1 race since before halos came in.

Those cars are among the ugliest race cars ever, in particular in profile. They make LMP1 cars look beautiful in comparison. It did not help to tune in shortly after the Indy race concluded, which are among the most beautiful current open wheel cars.

In F1, form most definitely does not follow function. The halos, the ridiculous rake, the even more ridiculous shark fins, all the other stupid aero bits........these cars are just plain fugly. Even FE cars are prettier.

I am not disagreeing with you, but I was looking at the last generation rear wing the other day. I think this generation is much better.

What are you going to do when Indy brings in the aeroscreen/halo?

^^ I'm over the halo, it doesn't bother me anymore. The front wings are far too big and that's why they get knocked off so often. The cars in general are too big, which is why some of the tracks seem too narrow now (that and the fact they are too narrow).

But the 2021 cars should look better, if the teams ever agree to the new regulations. The only problem is we almost have engine parity now (finally), and they risk throwing that away by changing the engine regs. I don't care too much what the cars look like if the racing is decent.

The engines are going to stand pat for the next couple of years. Pat Symonds mentioned that they are going to do a couple of things with fuel etc., but no major changes.

I have a feeling that come October the teams will have no choice but to accept what is in front of them. The cost cap hopefully won't be neutered.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
The Issues with the F1 cars is they are just too damn big, and that wheelbase and front wing, good lord. Shrink it down a bit without such a huge front wing, ugly side pods. Bigger wheels with narrower tire sidewall would also help.

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
I think it has been said that the biggest reason for the increase in length is the new hybrid engines. That being said it is still remarkable the size difference.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
I wonder what's really going through his mind about his new job. Those engines are just not getting better. Either is that chassis.
He wanted to get away from Max, lest he end up sucking hind tit like Webber did when Vettel was still there. And he was lured by the idea of a factory team.

I suspect he is probably hating life right now, but not much to be done about it. I don't see any opportunities for him with any of three top teams, sadly.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
The "bigger" cars offer more protection against impacts don't they? My issues are the front wing and the rake of the cars. The organization needs to stop catering to the teams and just issue new regulations and leave it. If you don't like it (and some won't) then leave the sport! They threaten to all of the time, but think of all of the unemployed people they will create because of not liking authority. ;)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The "bigger" cars offer more protection against impacts don't they? My issues are the front wing and the rake of the cars. The organization needs to stop catering to the teams and just issue new regulations and leave it. If you don't like it (and some won't) then leave the sport! They threaten to all of the time, but think of all of the unemployed people they will create because of not liking authority. ;)
When it comes to safety bigger cars have an advantage when encountering smaller cars but if the cars are of equal size then there is no advantage. The real advantage of a bigger car is bigger crumple zones, not sure that really applies to modern F1 cars as carbon fiber doesn't absorb much energy when it disintegrates.

I see the larger sizes really attributable to the enhanced aerodynamics, a longer car makes some of the aerodynamic tricks work more effeciently.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Change? Cut to the chase with rat racing. Same AMG SL Roadsters for everyone. :cool:

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
1641 - 1660 of 2372 Posts