AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1584 Posts

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The LG OLED C9 and E9 are fantastic displays for watching movies/TV, and even better for playing console and/or PC games. With many cutting edge features like Variable Refresh Rates, G-sync, HDMI 2.1, Auto Low Latency Mode, HGiG and more, it's a great way to enhance the gaming experience.

But with the cutting edge often comes questions about setting the display for the best performance and picture quality. This is the thread to discuss this! What works well for you, what don't you understand, what games really show off this beautiful display...?

If you are a dedicated console or PC gamer and have a LG OLED, or are thinking of getting one, please SUBSCRIBE to this thread and participate in the discussion.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Thank you

Reactions: DaverJ

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
G-Sync settings. What should be set in the Nvidia Controls vs In-games settings

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Good point, this one is confusing and a perfect topic for a FAQ. I had to Google this topic last night because I was getting tearing with G-Sync on -- I found out if the framerate goes over the monitor's refresh rate (120Hz at 1440p) even with G-Sync on, screen tearing will result. In this case, my understanding is it's best to enable V-sync in-game if the game doesn't have a framecap to smooth out the framerate above the refresh rate.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good point, this one is confusing and a perfect topic for a FAQ. I had to Google this topic last night because I was getting tearing with G-Sync on -- I found out if the framerate goes over the monitor's refresh rate (120Hz at 1440p) even with G-Sync on, screen tearing will result. In this case, my understanding is it's best to enable V-sync in-game if the game doesn't have a framecap to smooth out the framerate above the refresh rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga

This will answer all questions with gsync, vsync, the settings etc. I even asked the originator of the topic some questions and he replies right back.Basically gsync on (full window) and vsync ON in NCP and in game OFF. You'll see what he means. :D

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

PS also with the new NVIDIA drivers added a FPS limiter and he talks about this and how to set it in game. Super simple. Should eliminate all tearing with proper gsync/vsync settings. I use it now and I mostly game on my 65' C9 playing only one current game now Fallout 3 since I bought the TV on Black Friday.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

This will answer all questions with gsync, vsync, the settings etc. I even asked the originator of the topic some questions and he replies right back.Basically gsync on (full window) and vsync ON in NCP and in game OFF. You'll see what he means. :D

Great info there, thanks so much! Nice that Nvidia has a per-game framerate cap at the driver level. :cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great info there, thanks so much! Nice that Nvidia has a per-game framerate cap at the driver level. :cool:

Sure anytime! :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've tried to use the 'Fast' Vsync driver setting in Dirt Rally 2, but it leads to choppy frame rates for some reason even tho the GPU is outputting well above 120fps. So now I've resorted to increasing the settings to ensure that frame rates stay between 80-110 fps and use G sync instead. But I would rather have fast vsync at 120hz...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:

PS also with the new NVIDIA drivers added a FPS limiter and he talks about this and how to set it in game. Super simple. Should eliminate all tearing with proper gsync/vsync settings. I use it now and I mostly game on my 65' C9 playing only one current game now Fallout 3 since I bought the TV on Black Friday.
I know that the correct setting is to use Vsync ON and cap the FPS. But with Vsync "ON" I get some micro stutter every 10s or so. So I am keeping Vsync off. My friend also have the same issue with Vsync On.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know that the correct setting is to use Vsync ON and cap the FPS. But with Vsync "ON" I get some micro stutter every 10s or so. So I am keeping Vsync off. My friend also have the same issue with Vsync On.

Interesting. You could post this on the Blur Buster page and jorimt will give ya his thoughts - maybe a fix.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've tried to use the 'Fast' Vsync driver setting in Dirt Rally 2, but it leads to choppy frame rates for some reason even tho the GPU is outputting well above 120fps. So now I've resorted to increasing the settings to ensure that frame rates stay between 80-110 fps and use G sync instead. But I would rather have fast vsync at 120hz...
Are you playing at 1440p/120Hz? Have you tried G-Sync ON, V-Sync OFF in-game, and capping the Max Framerate to 117?

That Fast Vsync option is also available at the driver level, but I haven't messed with it yet. It seems unnecessary with the above setup.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Are you playing at 1440p/120Hz? Have you tried G-Sync ON, V-Sync OFF, and capping the Max Framerate to 117?

That Fast Vsync option is also available at the driver level, but I haven't messed with it yet. It seems unnecessary with the above setup.
Where would you cap the framerate? The game I play has no in-game limiter.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Where would you cap the framerate? The game I play has no in-game limiter.

You can cap the framerate per-game at the driver level. In the NVIDIA control panel, click manage 3D settings, click Program Settings tab, add the game to this list (see picture below), and scroll down to select Max Frame Rate. Set the slider at 117 if gaming at 120Hz - this gives a couple frames headroom in case the framerate bounces above the cap. You also might want to turn Vsync ON for this game at the driver level here (and off in-game) as recommended by Blur Busters.

Or you can do the same at the global level (all games), but this isn't preferred if you ever do any gaming outside of 1440/120.

·
Registered
510 Posts
You can cap the framerate per-game at the driver level. In the NVIDIA control panel, click manage 3D settings, click Program Settings tab, add the game to this list (see picture below), and scroll down to select Max Frame Rate. Set the slider at 117 if gaming at 120Hz - this gives a couple frames headroom in case the framerate bounces above the cap. You also might want to turn off Vsync for this game at the driver level here, and also in-game.
thx, will give that a try.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Please follow-up here with any update. I don't understand why both G-sync and V-sync would need to be ON when the game's framerate is capped just below the panel's refresh rate.

Hi DaverJ he explains that question in detail in that guide. Lots of people ask that, its a good question. I can't get to the guide at the moment its blocked by our co. Firewall and i'm in IT lol but I have my 2nd PC with an outside connection. I can try and find the page he talks about that.

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hi DaverJ he explains that question in detail in that guide. Lots of people ask that, its a good question. I can't get to the guide at the moment its blocked by our co. Firewall and i'm in IT lol but I have my 2nd PC with an outside connection. I can try and find the page he talks about that.

Ok, I read through the Blur Busters G-Sync 101 pages. To be honest, I understand very little of it, but get the general gist.

It seems the Blur Busters recommendation is to have G-Sync ON in Full Screen Mode and V-sync ON at driver level (NVIDIA Control Panel), V-sync OFF (unchecked) in-game, and any in-game double/triple buffer options off.

1 - 20 of 1584 Posts