AVS Forum banner

521 - 540 of 1586 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Can you do uncompressed LPCM 7.1 Atmos via eARC in games? I thought that was only available for movies, but I don't have eARC so not really sure.
Yes. I have the Denon App for my AVR which shows exactly what is being received. It will either be "Dolby Atmos - DD+", "Dolby Atmos - TrueHD" or ""Dolby Atmos". The last one is when it's receiving Dolby LPCM 7.1 Atmos, such as from the Apple TV. It's what's displayed from the Xbox.

It's in a Dolby MAT container so it's treated as bitstream by the TV and is passed through no problem over eARC.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, Looks like two HDMI cables is the best I can do. I hope it doesn't mess up that I'll have ALL these connected all at once:

1. A 1440p monitor 2. the tv, 3. the receiver, and 4. my oculus VR

My card can support up to 4 monitors, but hope this doesn't cause any more issues. I am sort of sensitive to sound delays, has anyone noticed this?

Gsync is the big one I don't want to loose, so I hope that works!

Now the wait for a local sale...

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #523
Yes. I have the Denon App for my AVR which shows exactly what is being received. It will either be "Dolby Atmos - DD+", "Dolby Atmos - TrueHD" or ""Dolby Atmos". The last one is when it's receiving Dolby LPCM 7.1 Atmos, such as from the Apple TV. It's what's displayed from the Xbox.

It's in a Dolby MAT container so it's treated as bitstream by the TV and is passed through no problem over eARC.

You get LPCM 7.1 Atmos via MAT when playing games? What do you have your Xbox audio out settings set to for gaming (non-BD playback)?

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
You get LPCM 7.1 Atmos via MAT when playing games? What do you have your Xbox audio out settings set to for gaming (non-BD playback)?
Yes. Dolby Atmos for Home Theater. But you need eARC otherwise that will fall back to Dolby Digital Plus Atmos and you get major audio lag.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
For some reason, I believe PS4 (no Dolby Atmos) seems to ARC/eARC multichannel audio with the least amount of lag..?
Dolby Digital and DTS are pretty much the same as Xbox in regards to lag. But the PS4 is limited to 5.1 using bitstream so back to the AVR it goes.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
eARC doesnt fix lipsync ?? I thought that was the point of eARC ..
or wait - does your Denon have eARC or not ?

if both TVs ARC port and Denon/soundbar have eARC- i dont see how there can be desync ..

doesnt that mean eARC is broken which is a major flaw ?
eARC mandates support for lipsync correction. That doesn't mean the devices use it correctly. And the source device could have the audio and video out of sync (not that likely). And certainly my impression over the last few years is that LG has not been very good at making sure their audio processing and video processing take the same amount of time or that they compensate for the difference in processing time. For example my understanding is that any time the TrueHD to DD+ conversion is used (for ARC not eARC of course), there is noticeable latency added.

So yes eARC mandates support for the protocol to fix lipsync issues, but that doesn't force anyone to correctly implement and use it, and LG certainly doesn't. Not sure if anyone has it entirely correct.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If someone has Call of Duty Modern Warfare, could you enable hdr then go to chapter "Embedded" and check this scene at the beginning of the chapter:

If I walk back and forth and look closely at the lower half of his suit, there is some very heavy dark posterization. The background behind him also has a lot of posterization. This cannot be captured on camera however (I used my phone trying to take a picture but it looks correct through my phone, which is absolute bonker. Maybe this is strictly hdr related and the phone does not have high enough dymanic range to capture such issue). This is with HGIG. If DMT is on instead, posterization is gone at one angle but appears again at another angle.
I checked the same scene on my other tv of mine (sony x900f) and it looked right with no posterization.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If someone has Call of Duty Modern Warfare, could you enable hdr then go to chapter "Embedded" and check this scene at the beginning of the chapter:

If I walk back and forth and look closely at the lower half of his suit, there is some very heavy dark posterization. The background behind him also has a lot of posterization. This cannot be captured on camera however (I used my phone trying to take a picture but it looks correct through my phone, which is absolute bonker. Maybe this is strictly hdr related and the phone does not have high enough dymanic range to capture such issue). This is with HGIG. If DMT is on instead, posterization is gone at one angle but appears again at another angle.
I checked the same scene on my other tv of mine (sony x900f) and it looked right with no posterization.

What input icon are you using for the hdmi hooked up to your pc? Pc, game console, ect.?

Which pixel format are you using? Rgb, ycbcr 444,422?

·
Registered
464 Posts

What input icon are you using for the hdmi hooked up to your pc? Pc, game console, ect.?

Which pixel format are you using? Rgb, ycbcr 444,422?
input icon is just hdmi 1. 422 12bit limited.

Do you have the game? Could you test that scene?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I did some input lag testing. the game used was Valorant capped at 115 fps with gsync. I wanted to test pc mode vs game console input mode. Each frame on the app I use is 4.2 ms in the app I used so it's not perfect, but with enough tests you can get solid results. PC mode is faster, how much exactly I would need a 1000 fps camera and a mouse with soldered led, but it's definitely a little faster. I had a couple tests here with an incredibly low 12.3 ms on input lag which is just insane on a tv. I used my keyboards capslock led for starting point.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I managed to capture the posterization issue in Call of Duty Modern Warfare on the c9 oled. It looks way worse in person.

if you don't know what posterization is, look at this image:

This is the beginning of chapter "Embedded" in hdr with "HDR Brightness" at the default 1.000 and "HDR Calibration" adjusted properly per on-screen instruction. I notice that the further I move the slider to the right in "hdr brightness" and "hdr calibration" section then the less posterization it becomes, but the game looks less contrasty because near-black colors are now over bright. This issue does not manifest on my other tv x900f however, which is possibly because lcd tvs can't go as dark as oled and this particular game can't handle dark colors.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just read through the whole thread, great read!

Does Instant Game Response (IRG) / ALLM work on PC? I figured it would switch any picture mode to game mode when launching a game. Doesn't work for me, picture mode stays the same. Maybe it just does this on newer (RTX) cards?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Just read through the whole thread, great read!

Does Instant Game Response (IRG) / ALLM work on PC? I figured it would switch any picture mode to game mode when launching a game. Doesn't work for me, picture mode stays the same. Maybe it just does this on newer (RTX) cards?

Every picture mode with pc input is lowest lag possible. No need for instant game response to engage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone know how to get my TV to automatically detect my speakers when I switch from my PC to the OLED? Whenever I want to game on my TV, I'll switch inputs but on the bottom right it doesn't show as "LG TV" for my sound. Usually, I can click on the speakers and it'll pop up but it doesn't so I have to right-click and head into the sound settings then head into the sound control panel and it somehow automatically pops up after I do this; not even clicking on anything just going into the sound settings and heading into sound control panel.

Only reason I ask is because I use to have an E7 model and whenever I would switch to the TV it would automatically pop up. On my E9 model it doesn't do that for some reason.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi yall. What's the general consensus from competitive/fast-paced gamers regarding the C9? I've went through multiple HDTVs in the past that have purported to be low input lag (Vizio M55 2015, D55 2017, TCL P55607...), and came away with nothing but inconsistent input lag frustrations. The TCL in particular now has this weird bug that popped up in recent firmware updates, where local dimming cannot be disabled, compounding the input lag headaches. Hasn't been fixed in the past 1/2 year by TCL.

Should I give HDTV gaming another go and opt for an LG C9? Do any gamers here who play competitive/PvP games have any issues with twitch gaming?

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #538
Hi yall. What's the general consensus from competitive/fast-paced gamers regarding the C9? I've went through multiple HDTVs in the past that have purported to be low input lag (Vizio M55 2015, D55 2017, TCL P55607...), and came away with nothing but inconsistent input lag frustrations. The TCL in particular now has this weird bug that popped up in recent firmware updates, where local dimming cannot be disabled, compounding the input lag headaches. Hasn't been fixed in the past 1/2 year by TCL.

Should I give HDTV gaming another go and opt for an LG C9? Do any gamers here who play competitive/PvP games have any issues with twitch gaming?
Welcome to the thread.
I am far from a competitive gamer and avoid PvP completely - I would describe my gaming as more of an obsessive enthusiast. I don't really play many super-twitchy games, although I'm getting pretty good at ripping through levels of Doom Eternal. Also, I often play Pinball FX3, which favors super low input lag to line up shots with the flippers.
I switched from a moderately medium-low input lag FALD LED (Vizio P-series) to a C9, and the lag improvement was very notifiable. I would describe the C9's lag as pretty close to "instant"... like really fast. Especially at 1440p/120Hz. And, as a bonus, the C9's image quality in Game mode is breathtaking.
If your PC rig has a GTX 16xx or RTX series card, Gsync is available over HDMI on the C9, which is a fantastic feature for super smooth framerates without tearing. And it's HDMI 2.1 ready for 4k/120Hz Variable Refresh Rate with future GPUs and consoles.
I haven't experimented with many TVs, but I'm totally satisfied with gaming on my C9, and I can't imagine another TV getting better image quality or input lag. If you read through this thread you'll notice there's a small learning curve to dial things in and get it running perfectly, but this is probably true with gaming on any TV. And you'll have to be comfortable with understanding OLED's possibility of burn-in (don't leave the TV on unmoving bright images esp. logos/HUDs for extended periods of time), but so far I'm unaware of anyone with a C9 that has been affected with burn-in. The built-in auto-dimming to prevent burn-in can be slightly annoying at times, mostly noticeable on the PC desktop, so it's not 100% absolute perfection. But IMO it's as close as we can get to perfect with the limitations of today's technologies.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Appreciate the input.

The reason I'm specifically interested in the experiences of people who play competitive games (CS:GO, Fortnite, Overwatch, COD Warzone, Valorant, etc) is because these people would be especially attuned to noticing even the slightest discrepancy or inconsistency in input lag. The smallest swing in input lag would greatly affect their ability to aim and score a kill.

I tried both TCL and Vizio TVs. Both brands were supposed to be low input lag according to the reviews (~14-18ms). But I found that the input lag was inconsistent, with it randomly getting very high for seemingly no reason. This really affected my ability to play and win in competitive games. And I'm still not sure whether to blame the TVs, or the PS4/PC hardware I was using.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Appreciate the input.

The reason I'm specifically interested in the experiences of people who play competitive games (CS:GO, Fortnite, Overwatch, COD Warzone, Valorant, etc) is because these people would be especially attuned to noticing even the slightest discrepancy or inconsistency in input lag. The smallest swing in input lag would greatly affect their ability to aim and score a kill.

I tried both TCL and Vizio TVs. Both brands were supposed to be low input lag according to the reviews (~14-18ms). But I found that the input lag was inconsistent, with it randomly getting very high for seemingly no reason. This really affected my ability to play and win in competitive games. And I'm still not sure whether to blame the TVs, or the PS4/PC hardware I was using.
The input lag tests above were done with valorant. This tv is about as responsive as any gaming monitor in the 120-144 hz range.

521 - 540 of 1586 Posts