AVS Forum banner

561 - 580 of 1586 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
TY, mod moved my thread here actually, but point is somewhat moot now. Decided to just span the studs with some 3/4 plywood and call it a day.
Ah. Mod must have not had his coffee yet.

“If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.” - Red Green

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #565
Speaking of the 1440/120 option on the Xbox One X, most Xbox games are capped at 60 or 30 frames per second. So setting the Xbox to 1440p at 120Hz on a C9 is only reducing resolution from 4K, but not gaining framerate. The best resolution for Xbox One X on a C9 is 4K. But this will change with the upcoming Xbox Series X console.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Speaking of the 1440/120 option on the Xbox One X, most Xbox games are capped at 60 or 30 frames per second. So setting the Xbox to 1440p at 120Hz on a C9 is only reducing resolution from 4K, but not gaining framerate. The best resolution for Xbox One X on a C9 is 4K. But this will change with the upcoming Xbox Series X console.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, if you watch some Digital Foundry videos on YouTube they say that 1440 @ 120 can be be beneficial now.

From what I gathered it can cut frame rate spikes in half because it’s twice as fast. Also it cuts down input lag time from 13ms or so down to 6ms. I’m not the smartest when it comes to ideal video game settings but these guys explain a lot of things and I think a lot of people in this thread should check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
Actually, if you watch some Digital Foundry videos on YouTube they say that 1440 @ 120 can be be beneficial now. https://youtu.be/4sP6H1lK6XI

From what I gathered it can cut frame rate spikes in half because it’s twice as fast. Also it cuts down input lag time from 13ms or so down to 6ms.

Thanks for the correction - I had seen this a while ago and forgot about this.

But, he brings up the pros and cons, and IMO the pros aren't worth it on Xbox. 1440p mode does shorten the frame-time spikes on a few (very few) select games, but others have screen tearing or have worse framerate when doing this. I still hold my belief that 1440p mode on the Xbox One X isn't worth it on an LG C9, and 4K is the best resolution IMO.

But on a PC, 1440/120 + Gysnc is far and away my favorite resolution.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I'm surprised your post didn't get any feedback, this is pretty big news for C9 owners and fantastic for any AMD GPU owners
I always suspected that FreeSync, Adaptive Sync, and HDMI VRR operated the same way at their core. All that's different is how they advertise their availability to the device and some extra bells and whistles each one has.

Really cool that it only took a simple EDID edit to do it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm surprised your post didn't get any feedback, this is pretty big news for C9 owners and fantastic for any AMD GPU owners
I think its pretty huge, because it's the only gaming feature lacking from the CX (well besides some BFI options) putting them even more on par than they already were. Maybe knowing there is a workaround in the wild already, will convince LG to go ahead and patch in Freesync for the C9 at some point later (probably once they have sold through most of the the rest of the existing C9 stock).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, Looks like two HDMI cables is the best I can do. I hope it doesn't mess up that I'll have ALL these connected all at once:

1. A 1440p monitor 2. the tv, 3. the receiver, and 4. my oculus VR

My card can support up to 4 monitors, but hope this doesn't cause any more issues. I am sort of sensitive to sound delays, has anyone noticed this?

Gsync is the big one I don't want to loose, so I hope that works!

Now the wait for a local sale...
Have you picked one up yet? This is how my setup is, so I'm curious how many headaches I would have from switching from playing on my monitor to switching to my comfy couch setup.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I have been using my C9 as a computer monitor, and I really do not know what to do about an ongoing problem that has plagued me from the start: the picture dramatically dims every 2-3 minutes unless I change what's on screen. I will be web-browsing or using Discord when the picture darkens, only to brighten again when I tab to another window.

Right now, I am playing a game called Vagante, a sprite-based game that is very, very dark. While playing the game, every 2-3 minutes, the TV decides to make the picture that much darker, making the game - which is already very dark - near unplayable.

I have looked into this, and the cause of the problem is still a mystery to me. I have researched possible fixes given to others who experienced similar problems, but none have worked.

Could anyone tell me why this is happening? And what I might be able to do about it?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey guys,

i was asking myself if "warm 3" white balance is actually more accurate than "warm 2" in game-mode. I read warm 3 is closer to "D65 / 6500K" which should be the target for the most natural picture, is this right?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hey guys,

i was asking myself if "warm 3" white balance is actually more accurate than "warm 2" in game-mode. I read warm 3 is closer to "D65 / 6500K" which should be the target for the most natural picture, is this right?
No Warm 2 is definitely closer to the D65. Warm 3 is something I use late at night when using windows as it more like the eye comfort setting but I wouldn't use it for movies, games maybe

For movies when I use Calman I found Technicolor to be the most accurate preset when the white balance is set to Warm 2(default is Warm1) Oled is set to 25 which is close to 100nits for SDR

But go with what you like at the end of the day though

·
Registered
660 Posts
So I have been using my C9 as a computer monitor, and I really do not know what to do about an ongoing problem that has plagued me from the start: the picture dramatically dims every 2-3 minutes unless I change what's on screen. I will be web-browsing or using Discord when the picture darkens, only to brighten again when I tab to another window.

Right now, I am playing a game called Vagante, a sprite-based game that is very, very dark. While playing the game, every 2-3 minutes, the TV decides to make the picture that much darker, making the game - which is already very dark - near unplayable.

I have looked into this, and the cause of the problem is still a mystery to me. I have researched possible fixes given to others who experienced similar problems, but none have worked.

Could anyone tell me why this is happening? And what I might be able to do about it?
is this ABL/APL ?

is there a way to turn it off on C9 (or maybe CX) ?

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I turned mine off to do some calibrations and I actually haven't turned it back on yet, but do this at your own risk as it is there to protect the panel.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2440714-how-turn-off-asbl-lg-oled-tv.html

Also, try turning off Logo luminance adjustment first to see if it makes any difference
I have toggled that option to 'Off,' and it doesn't work.

I will look into that thread, thanks. This is a tough decision - this constant dimming makes the C9 really annoying to use as a computer monitor. On the other hand, if this saves it form burn-in, it could be a necessary evil... hmm...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wait, Jimmy2Shoes, that thread is from 2016. Are you saying you followed those instructions to turn off the dimming on your C9?

561 - 580 of 1586 Posts