AVS Forum banner

721 - 740 of 1558 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
None that I could notice. I'll do some more tests tonight though. Regarding audio lag on SotTR, lag should be constant on every content and not just cinematics, seems weird ...

Reactions: Redmist

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #722
Regarding audio lag on SotTR, lag should be constant on every content and not just cinematics, seems weird ...

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that audio lag changes on content, just that Shadow of the Tomb Raider's cinematics have facial close-ups with very specific mouth movement to match dialog - it's really noticeable here if sound is out of sync.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well, regarding the SHARC EARC Audio Converter, it's looking pretty promising so far. Without any problem I was able to :
  • Bitstream Dobly TrueHD from my PC
  • Play LPCM 7.1 (using the CRU tweak)
  • Get max sound quality from the TV internal apps
I didn't have to enable CEC or anything else : just plug the hdmi and usb cables, set the TV to EARC, and that's it. The only thing I'm not sure about is Atmos (my receiver supports it, but I don't have the speakers needed, so maybe it defaults back to dd+ / truehd).
I pulled the trigger on a SHARC, after reading your impressions. I am to tentatively expect it to arrive Saturday. I do have Dolby Atmos, and it's a big factor for my personal preferences (and setup), so I'm hoping it works with the Xbox One X. Given the device's technical specs, I don't see why it will have any trouble, but it will be nice to have confirmation.

Also, there's a new firmware available for the Sharc. They don't have instructions on how to upgrade the firmware on their site, but Support reached out to me with the following:

Download the latest package from the webpage.
The procedure is that there are four files in the .zip package. You need to extract all files to your PC to any folder.
Then you connect Sharc to your PC using the included USB cable. Wait a little bit for driver to install. You will see windows say completed in the right lower corner of the display. Then click the .exe file found from the extracted package and the update will start.
Then wait until finished and you see completion text.

·
Registered
223 Posts
None that I could notice. I'll do some more tests tonight though. Regarding audio lag on SotTR, lag should be constant on every content and not just cinematics, seems weird ...
Are you still able to use your TV remote to control the audio of the AVR receiver or is this option lost in the process?

This is a great device to spend on while waiting for a true HDMI 2.1 feature packed receiver.
But take note for the rest, there are a few caveats to using this device.

- Currently, there are no TV native apps on the C9 that takes full advantage of the eARC level of bandwidth. So this is pretty much just useful for devices that you connect to the C9 that is pushing out the full Lossless audio quality that the Native apps on webOS still refuse to do.

- Another caveat is obviously, you'll have to use up the entire HDMI ports on your TV (for future HDMI 2.1 based devices) instead of having a tidy set-up of having everything plugged to the back of your AVR and just having 1 cable connected to the TV.

- And the 3rd caveat is if there's a new ARC standard rather than eARC that allows for maybe more than 37Mbps to get lossless audio, then this device will lose its value. But that will be years ahead in the future for as long as HDMI 2.1 is still the mainstay. So no worries there.

This seems like a better choice for me as well since we'll have to wait till next year before HDMI 2.1 based AVRs will be released and even then, we might end up with receivers that comes with a few limitations as well. Who knows. So this device might end up as an even longer investment which saves you a lot of money while waiting for a true AVR that supports all of the HDMI 2.1 features.

It is also great to learn that you can extract the raw 7.1 PCM from the PC via the C9's eARC port. This will really help a lot. As the Nvidia cards usually have only 1 HDMI port and having to spend hundreds of dollars more for a 3rd party Nvidia card that comes with more than 1 HDMI port ala the RTX expensive editions from the founder based cards.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are you still able to use your TV remote to control the audio of the AVR receiver or is this option lost in the process?
Not sure, I don't use CEC at all.

- Currently, there are no TV native apps on the C9 that takes full advantage of the eARC level of bandwidth. So this is pretty much just useful for devices that you connect to the C9 that is pushing out the full Lossless audio quality that the Native apps on webOS still refuse to do.
Sure, but I do get Dolby Digital + instead of Dolby Digital through optical (what a step up ! :D )

- Another caveat is obviously, you'll have to use up the entire HDMI ports on your TV (for future HDMI 2.1 based devices) instead of having a tidy set-up of having everything plugged to the back of your AVR and just having 1 cable connected to the TV.
Well, it sure isn't the most elegant solution, but it still beats the dummy screen one. I don't plan on going 8K or buying a next gen console anytime soon, so that device fills the need perfectly.

- And the 3rd caveat is if there's a new ARC standard rather than eARC that allows for maybe more than 37Mbps to get lossless audio, then this device will lose its value. But that will be years ahead in the future for as long as HDMI 2.1 is still the mainstay. So no worries there.
Well, that's true for any AVR that would also not be compatible :) The thing that makes this device stands out is that it transform your TV into a standard HDMI device: just plug it into any soundbar / avr, and you'll get proper sound.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
My understanding is that you need to access the service menu to see the hours on a european LG, which requires either a service remote, or a universal programmable remote like the logitech harmony, and of course being very careful.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Sure, but I do get Dolby Digital + instead of Dolby Digital through optical (what a step up ! :D )

Well, it sure isn't the most elegant solution, but it still beats the dummy screen one. I don't plan on going 8K or buying a next gen console anytime soon, so that device fills the need perfectly.

Well, that's true for any AVR that would also not be compatible :) The thing that makes this device stands out is that it transform your TV into a standard HDMI device: just plug it into any soundbar / avr, and you'll get proper sound.
Ah... That plug & play method sure sounds enticing. Too bad you can't try to see CEC works. That's the only deal breaker I have with this device.

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #728

Oh, I didn't think about this. Am I reading correctly that the ShArk separates the AVR from the C9's HDMI control, meaning my Denon won't turn on and off with the TV when I press the power button on the C9's remote?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll test cec compatibility tomorrow, but feel free to also drop them an email, they're very quick to reply.

Reactions: LiLAsN and DaverJ

·
Registered
93 Posts
My understanding is that you need to access the service menu to see the hours on a european LG, which requires either a service remote, or a universal programmable remote like the logitech harmony, and of course being very careful.

I thought (but have not tried) that there was some combination of button presses on the normal remote in parallel with button press on the TV that would put it into service mode? Like 2x menu buttons. Then a well known pass code like 0000 etc.???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I thought (but have not tried) that there was some combination of button presses on the normal remote in parallel with button press on the TV that would put it into service mode? Like 2x menu buttons. Then a well known pass code like 0000 etc.???
On a Sony yes, not on an LG. On LG there is a specific IR code used to enter the service menu that is found on the service remote (and can be added to a harmony remote).

It used to be you could hold menu button on the TV and the remote at the same time and be prompted for a 4 digit code, but as far as I know that is no longer the way they do it on current models.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oh, I didn't think about this. Am I reading correctly that the ShArk separates the AVR from the C9's HDMI control, meaning my Denon won't turn on and off with the TV when I press the power button on the C9's remote?
Ah yes, that as well too. Not just audio control but also the sync between both devices.
Because the thing is, CEC works for other ports as I can easily control my PS4 like turning it on just by selecting it in Input and navigating through the menus and all without having to turn on the controller at all and just depending on the LG C9 remote.
So I am hoping there is still that CEC link that allows for the receiver to not just be powered on but also control the volume on the AVR.

I'll test cec compatibility tomorrow, but feel free to also drop them an email, they're very quick to reply.
Much thanks for your help on this!

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #733

They are very fast to answer emails! Here's the response I got about if HDMI control is passed through the device:
Yes it has a dual CEC processor to implement as you mentioned. Commands are parsed and forwarded from TV to your sound system accordingly. Power on/off/mute/volup/voldn.thanks
Jim / Thenaudio

·
Registered
223 Posts
They are very fast to answer emails! Here's the response I got about if HDMI control is passed through the device:
Yes it has a dual CEC processor to implement as you mentioned. Commands are parsed and forwarded from TV to your sound system accordingly. Power on/off/mute/volup/voldn.thanks
Jim / Thenaudio
That is SUPER FAST. :eek:
Thanks for the clarification. Definitely a must buy then! :D

I also just noticed that they had responded to a question on Amazon. It seems to also work on receivers via analog.

Will this allow audio volume adjustment with my lg oled c9 to connect to my analog stereo amplifier?
Answer:Yes.
SHARC will also control the analog line-out and headphone volume using the TV remote controller as long as EARC is used.
Depending on the purchase date the internal firmware may have to be updated. The latest FW is always posted on the main manufacturer website.
Analog audio volume control is supported from version 1.1 onward.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Tried sending VRR from my Xbox One X through my 2018 Denon to the C9 using my Dr HDMI 4K to allow it. No luck. No video and the HDMI Diagnostic screen was showing it was having trouble with the vertical active/total res showing crazy numbers.

Would love to see what a 2019 Denon would do as they have a proper video bypass option in the menus.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Hey all.

So I'm about to get a new receiver that supports eARC and I have an LG C9 TV.

Currently my Xbox One X is connected to my receiver so I can get full Atmos sound but in doing so I can't use any of the Low Latency/Variable Refresh features for the One X.

It is my understanding with eARC I can send audio+video from the One X to the LG, but have the audio then sent to the receiver through HDMI to still get full Atmos playback, correct?

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
So I'm about to get a new receiver that supports eARC and I have an LG C9 TV.

Currently my Xbox One X is connected to my receiver so I can get full Atmos sound but in doing so I can't use any of the Low Latency/Variable Refresh features for the One X.

It is my understanding with eARC I can send audio+video from the One X to the LG, but have the audio then sent to the receiver through HDMI to still get full Atmos playback, correct?
Which receiver you getting?

Yes, you can get full Dolby MAT Atmos that way.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Which receiver you getting?

Yes, you can get full Dolby MAT Atmos that way.
The Arcam AVR10

So my next question: how do I set it up on the LG end? I will have an HDMI connected from the eARC compatible output on my receiver to the eARC compatible input on the LG and set my receiver to expect audio in this regard.

But for the LG, how do I have it display video from one input and output audio via eARC on a completely different input?

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
But for the LG, how do I have it display video from one input and output audio via eARC on a completely different input?
You select ARC in the Sound Out menu. Under that ARC setting you then set Digital Sound Out to Pass Through and eARC to On. That's it.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
You select ARC in the Sound Out menu. Under that ARC setting you then set Digital Sound Out to Pass Through and eARC to On. That's it.
Oh. So it is always going to output whatever sound is being played/sent to the LG regardless of input/source?

721 - 740 of 1558 Posts