AVS Forum banner

741 - 760 of 1569 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Awesome!

Now regarding the video settings, once I hook the Xbox up to the LG directly, do I need to do anything other than using the Game mode picture? Does the "Auto Game Mode" setting need to be enabled?
I think the Instant Game Response setting for each input defaults to on. When the Xbox triggers the ALLM you can actually choose any picture mode you want. I leave it on game mode so I can use the HGIG tone mapping option.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That is SUPER FAST. :eek:
Thanks for the clarification. Definitely a must buy then! :D

I also just noticed that they had responded to a question on Amazon. It seems to also work on receivers via analog.

Will this allow audio volume adjustment with my lg oled c9 to connect to my analog stereo amplifier?
Answer:Yes.
SHARC will also control the analog line-out and headphone volume using the TV remote controller as long as EARC is used.
Depending on the purchase date the internal firmware may have to be updated. The latest FW is always posted on the main manufacturer website.
Analog audio volume control is supported from version 1.1 onward.
I guess that settles it :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
So does this SHARC device allow gsync to work with just one HDMI cable?
It does. I played quite a bit tonight with it, everything worked like a charm. PC to TV, TV to SHARC, SHARC to AVR. LPCM 7.1 output and no audio lag in sight. I'm really happy with my purchase :)

Reactions: LiLAsN and DaverJ

·
Registered
10,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #751
It does. I played quite a bit tonight with it, everything worked like a charm. PC to TV, TV to SHARC, SHARC to AVR. LPCM 7.1 output and no audio lag in sight. I'm really happy with my purchase :)

Good to hear, I placed an order yesterday, and should be testing it out on Sunday.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This thing sounds great - been fighting delay issues from my C9 to my YSP-2700 soundbar - really hoping that switching to EARC can get me past that. One stupid question - what happens to the video devices that are connected through soundbar/receiver? I can't find any info on their site if it supports 4k/hdr10/dv going back through it to the TV for those inputs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This thing sounds great - been fighting delay issues from my C9 to my YSP-2700 soundbar - really hoping that switching to EARC can get me past that. One stupid question - what happens to the video devices that are connected through soundbar/receiver? I can't find any info on their site if it supports 4k/hdr10/dv going back through it to the TV for those inputs.
The SHARC only offers a one way street: it allows you to use the audio EARC output of your TV as a standard HDMI output, but it won't be able to pass a video signal. On my setup, for example, the sharc is plugged into the TV 2nd hdmi port and to the 7th input of my AVR. To get video from the devices plugged into my AVR, one of its output is connected to one of the 3 others free ports on my TV.

You may see this as a drawback, but given the number of hdmi devices I personally use (4 at most, and only one not compatible with the AVR passthrough), it works like a charm.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You may see this as a drawback, but given the number of hdmi devices I personally use (4 at most, and only one not compatible with the AVR passthrough), it works like a charm.
So, we’d be losing ARC functionality with the Sharc? No, that’s not ideal, and something I didn’t quite realize. I have enough free ports on my Denon to shuffle things around and I have zero need to use the TV’s built-in apps (outside of novelty), so its not a wash. Plus, it guarantees that my AVR’s eARC functionality is a guarantee (‘cause it’s still questionable). And, as happy as I am resolve this issue, I still don’t understand why it’s taken LG this long to solve the matter.

My Sharc is en route to my house within a few hours. I’ll post the results of the Xbox One X’s Dolby Atmos feed going to my Denon x4400h as soon as I am able.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So, we’d be losing ARC functionality with the Sharc? No, that’s not ideal, and something I didn’t quite realize. I have enough free ports on my Denon to shuffle things around and I have zero need to use the TV’s built-in apps (outside of novelty), so its not a wash. Plus, it guarantees that my AVR’s eARC functionality is a guarantee (‘cause it’s still questionable). And, as happy as I am resolve this issue, I still don’t understand why it’s taken LG this long to solve the matter.

My Sharc is en route to my house within a few hours. I’ll post the results of the Xbox One X’s Dolby Atmos feed going to my Denon x4400h as soon as I am able.
I don't really understand your comment regarding losing ARC functionnality. The whole point of the sharc is to be able to use the EARC / ARC capability of your TV on any AVR / soundbar. The only downside is that it uses more ports than a conventional setup since the sharc needs to be connected to an input and not on one of the outputs of your AVR / soundbar.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't really understand your comment regarding losing ARC functionnality. The whole point of the sharc is to be able to use the EARC / ARC capability of your TV on any AVR / soundbar. The only downside is that it uses more ports than a conventional setup since the sharc needs to be connected to an input and not on one of the outputs of your AVR / soundbar.
Gah! It's early and I brain-farted over something you said, coupled with the Sharc's website stating the following on one of the dip switch settings.

"RESOLUTION
UP/OFF: Output video resolution 1080p60
DN/ON: Output video resolution is 720p60"

With the Sharc it can still sit in the middle of video being fed upstream to the TV. Which is 100% normal and to be expected. Unless it's still early and I'm brain-farting again. :p

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Gah! It's early and I brain-farted over something you said, coupled with the Sharc's website stating the following on one of the dip switch settings.

"RESOLUTION
UP/OFF: Output video resolution 1080p60
DN/ON: Output video resolution is 720p60"
This is for the audio output port. HDMI audio requires a video signal to carry it. This setting is for very old AVRs that can't handle either 1080p or 720p.

With the Sharc it can still sit in the middle of video being fed upstream to the TV. Which is 100% normal and to be expected. Unless it's still early and I'm brain-farting again. :p
No it can't. It only has two ports. One going to the TV's eARC port and one going to an input on the AVR.

·
Registered
530 Posts
No it can't. It only has two ports. One going to the TV's eARC port and one going to an input on the AVR.
Okay, then this is where I am getting confused.

I currently have one HDMI cable going from the eARC/ARC C9 port (and previously my Vizio P65-C1) to the Monitor1/ARC HDMI Out port on my x4400h. I can pass video signal going into the AVR upstream to the TV through this link without issue. And, conversely, pipe certain audio formats from the TV downstream to the AVR.

Introducing the Sharc into the middle of this HDMI cable connection, am I going to lose the ability to pipe video upstream from the AVR to the TV?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Okay, then this is where I am getting confused.

I currently have one HDMI cable going from the eARC/ARC C9 port (and previously my Vizio P65-C1) to the Monitor1/ARC HDMI Out port on my x4400h. I can pass video signal going into the AVR upstream to the TV through this link without issue. And, conversely, pipe certain audio formats from the TV downstream to the AVR.

Introducing the Sharc into the middle of this HDMI cable connection, am I going to lose the ability to pipe video upstream from the AVR to the TV?
With the sharc, just think of your TV becoming like any other hdmi source : plug it into an AVR input and you're good to go. To get video from the other sources plugged in to your AVR, you'll need to plug another cable from one of your AVR output to one of the free HDMI port on your TV (not the 2nd one, since it's dedicated to the sharc setup).

·
Registered
169 Posts
With the sharc, just think of your TV becoming like any other hdmi source : plug it into an AVR input and you're good to go. To get video from the other sources plugged in to your AVR, you'll need to plug another cable from one of your AVR output to one of the free HDMI port on your TV (not the 2nd one, since it's dedicated to the sharc setup).
Ok, I think I get it now. This solution changes the ARC port on the back of your TV to an Audio Out port only, so it should go to a normal HDMI input port on the soundbar/receiver, not the Output/ARC port of the receiver. You can then plug the Output/ARC port of the receiver to one of your other TV inputs - and everything gets switched through the single (non-ARC) port on the TV. Once you get past the concept of all receiver/soundbar content ONLY going through that TV ARC port, it starts making sense. Then doesn't, then does again. :)

So really, the "cost" of doing this is you lose 1 HDMI out port on your soundbar/receiver.

741 - 760 of 1569 Posts