AVS Forum banner

821 - 840 of 1617 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm updating my modern warfare. Each update is flipping huge. I'll take a look for you guys. I do know that when its downloading shaders for all the content you get frametime spikes which causes fluctuation in brightness with vrr on. You have to wait until those are all completed before doing the comparison.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Okay I can confirm that the middle box in modern warfare logo always shows even with 0.00 with hdr on and vrr on. With vrr off it goes away. I use game hdr picture mode with HGIG for tonemapping.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Okay I can confirm that the middle box in modern warfare logo always shows even with 0.00 with hdr on and vrr on. With vrr off it goes away. I use game hdr picture mode with HGIG for tonemapping.
Interesting. So if your C9 is not calibrated too, then does this mean that it is mostly a factory LUT issue?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use an amd radeon vii to game on my lg c9, so i have no gsync or freesync. I have been playing read dead redemption 2 and have found out that the best way to play is setting in game settings to “hdr” “fullscreen”, 1440p, 120fps and most importantly have triple buffering and vsync enabled. Also its important to have “hgig” (The dynamic tone mapping setting enabled). When i turn it on in the calibration menu it adjusts the hdr properly if that makes sense.

Anyways the triple buffering with vsync allows frames to be almost as smooth as gsync while not having to lock down framrate. I was playing around alot with the settings and just wanted to post my success. I also noticed if i play at 1440p 60fps i get more judder than at 1440p 120fps. Wonder why. I also noticed hdr looked better at 1440P 120 vs 1440p 60 but that could just be a placebo effect.

O i also ran my settings at “console” mode in lg menu. This reduced banding and i had great success at ycbr 4:2:2 mode. My windows is still set to 4k.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry for the double post. I don't know how to edit. So, the plot thickens.

As someone asked, i tested how it goes when TV is ethernet connected to the internet. I have to say i just can't have a cable long enough to go routerTV directly, so it goes like this routerrepeaterTV. I know it isn't totally optimal in order to test this but it should show if the TV behaves differently when WLAN is off while being connected by cable.

And so, three frameskips in 30 minutes with this setup. Same as WLAN on.

Then, i deactivated internet and played one hour: no frameskips.

That's it.
It could be the case actually. I do notice even back in the C7 TV that if it is connected to the internet, it also takes a bit longer to boot the TV up as well. So I am not surprised if it is doing something in the background while you are connected to the internet. Such as video tracking to see what content you are watching for advertising purposes, big data and all.

That is why I have my C9 connected using wired with an Ethernet Switch that also connects to the PS4. Since the switch is connected to a smart home plug, I can easily trigger the internet for the TV and PS4 on and off at will with Alexa. Thus, I do not encounter any slowdowns of the OS and these video monitorings of whatever content you are watching that causes some occasional hiccups especially when you are gaming due to the CPU limitation of having to process your content while trying to analyze and report back the content that you are consuming.
This fix'd my problem. Deactivating Liveplus killed the frameskips. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hi,

Can Someone give me a specific game that introduces raised black for G-Sync on the C9 and I will test myself as I have not noticed this and would like to know for sure if this exists on my Tv
Also due to recent posts, I have disabled WIFI and don't have ethernet plugged in as I don't use any of the smart functions on the Tv bar updating the FW

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hi,

Can Someone give me a specific game that introduces raised black for G-Sync on the C9 and I will test myself as I have not noticed this and would like to know for sure if this exists on my Tv
Also due to recent posts, I have disabled WIFI and don't have ethernet plugged in as I don't use any of the smart functions on the Tv bar updating the FW

Thanks
Jim
Just read the few posts above yours. People are testing COD MW 2019. Also, again, gsync/vrr does not introduce raised black; you still get true black, but the near black shades are brighter.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I use an amd radeon vii to game on my lg c9, so i have no gsync or freesync. I have been playing read dead redemption 2 and have found out that the best way to play is setting in game settings to “hdr” “fullscreen”, 1440p, 120fps and most importantly have triple buffering and vsync enabled. Also its important to have “hgig” (The dynamic tone mapping setting enabled). When i turn it on in the calibration menu it adjusts the hdr properly if that makes sense.

Anyways the triple buffering with vsync allows frames to be almost as smooth as gsync while not having to lock down framrate. I was playing around alot with the settings and just wanted to post my success. I also noticed if i play at 1440p 60fps i get more judder than at 1440p 120fps. Wonder why. I also noticed hdr looked better at 1440P 120 vs 1440p 60 but that could just be a placebo effect.

O i also ran my settings at “console” mode in lg menu. This reduced banding and i had great success at ycbr 4:2:2 mode. My windows is still set to 4k.

There is a guide out there to get freesync working on c9. You need to use cru to make it work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/g65mw7/working_freesync_mod_for_vrr_displays_tested_on/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ok. Good to know others are seeing what I'm seeing. Please help tweet the issue to hdtvtest. The more people doing that, the higher the chance Vincent notices this and contacts LG to push for a fix. I have been trying to contact multiple parties for the last couple of months but so far only flatpanelshd noticed and helped pass the issue to LG, and it may take a lot more months for a fix to be released. Fighting the battle alone is difficult man.

Reactions: Tygeezy

·
Registered
466 Posts
Ok. Good to know others are seeing what I'm seeing. Please help tweet the issue to hdtvtest. The more people doing that, the higher the chance Vincent notices this and contacts LG to push for a fix. I have been trying to contact multiple parties for the last couple of months but so far only flatpanelshd noticed and helped pass the issue to LG, and it may take a lot more months for a fix to be released. Fighting the battle alone is difficult man.

Vincent has never responded to me whenever I reached out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When i switch to 1440p 60hz in rdr2 (In game settings at fullscreen) i get more washed out colors in hdr vs 1440p 120hz. 1440p 120hz looks perfect. Is this because the lg c9 is 1440p 120hz native and a 1440p 60hz signal is not truely supported? Or is it some other variable and they should be the same? Just confusing because a locked 60fps can be a bit smoother than 120fps especially in a game like rdr2. This is with my amd radeon vii gpu. Im confused at why that change effects the colors i see. Could be a rdr2 issue for all i know. What do you think?

I also really hope we get a vrr or freesync update for the c9 with at least the new amd gpus coming out. Its just not fair gsync is nicely supported, xbox vrr is supported, but amd gpu users like myself get screwed over.

·
Registered
466 Posts
When i switch to 1440p 60hz in rdr2 (In game settings at fullscreen) i get more washed out colors in hdr vs 1440p 120hz. 1440p 120hz looks perfect. Is this because the lg c9 is 1440p 120hz native and a 1440p 60hz signal is not truely supported? Or is it some other variable and they should be the same? Just confusing because a locked 60fps can be a bit smoother than 120fps especially in a game like rdr2. This is with my amd radeon vii gpu. Im confused at why that change effects the colors i see. Could be a rdr2 issue for all i know. What do you think?

I also really hope we get a vrr or freesync update for the c9 with at least the new amd gpus coming out. Its just not fair gsync is nicely supported, xbox vrr is supported, but amd gpu users like myself get screwed over.

You can already do freesync on the c9. Check up in this page. You can use cru to enable it.

Edit: Here’s the link

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/g65mw7/working_freesync_mod_for_vrr_displays_tested_on/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are people in general aware of the fact that quite few Nvidia cards actually support GSync via HDMI? I get the feeling that many seem to assume that just because they got a modern NVidia card, like a 1080ti, it will work but it won't. AFAIK, only RTX cards and GTX 16 cards support this.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
464 Posts
Are people in general aware of the fact that quite few Nvidia cards actually support GSync via HDMI? I get the feeling that many seem to assume that just because they got a modern NVidia card, like a 1080ti, it will work but it won't. AFAIK, only RTX cards and GTX 16 cards support this.

If you are talking about the vrr near black issue that has been being discussed in the last couple of pages, both pc users and xbox users have reported seeing the issue so this is no longer exclusive to nvidia gpu. There must be something wrong with how hdmi-vrr is implemented or the instant response mode on the tv instead of nvidia driver. And btw I'm pretty sure those pc users own rtx gpus otherwise they won't see the issue at all.

·
Registered
240 Posts

To make sure your settings remain consistent, I would suggest you go to your C9 on your PC, and then set the manual resolution of 1440p at 60Hz. Then please set the picture settings to be the same as how you set it at 4K 60Hz and 1440p at 120Hz. For consistency sake. Which I assume will be 1440p, 12-bit 4:2:2, Limited Output Dynamic Range.

This way, the colours should look the same throughout when going from 4K 60Hz to 1440p 60Hz to 1440p 120Hz. And make sure LG's picture settings didn't change too. Black Level set to Low to match the Limited Output Dynamic Range in AMD's NVCP equivalent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
Jim
You can try Resident Evil 2 Remake. Look at the opening scene in the driver's truck. You'll spot immediately the problem in the shadow details on the hamburger.

Also the vignetting effect of this game makes the problem much more pronounced than other games. Anything under shadow at the edges of the screen look plainly wrong.

Of course disabling G-Sync completely fixes the problem and everything look normal. I don't think the Instant Game Response is the culprit since I leave this to On all the time.

It's G-Sync and also VRR on Xbox.

Guys, could this be a HDMI 2.0 bandwidth problem? Since the console/PC have to communicate back and forth with the TV for this to work, shouldn't there be additional bandwidth overhead? Maybe this is issue simply goes away with the new HDMI 2.1 devices this year.

·
Registered
526 Posts
You can try Resident Evil 2 Remake. Look at the opening scene in the driver's truck. You'll spot immediately the problem in the shadow details on the hamburger.

Also the vignetting effect of this game makes the problem much more pronounced than other games. Anything under shadow at the edges of the screen look plainly wrong.

Of course disabling G-Sync completely fixes the problem and everything look normal. I don't think the Instant Game Response is the culprit since I leave this to On all the time.

It's G-Sync and also VRR on Xbox.

Guys, could this be a HDMI 2.0 bandwidth problem? Since the console/PC have to communicate back and forth with the TV for this to work, shouldn't there be additional bandwidth overhead? Maybe this is issue simply goes away with the new HDMI 2.1 devices this year.
Perfect I'll get this and try it out
Also is this test for HDR or SDR or both
I have Calman Home and I-Display OEM, So I will try this in both calibrated and uncalibrated

The way I see it. when you turn off G-Sync you also exit Instant Game Response although it's still enabled the C9 will not recognize the device as VRR without G-Sync enabled, this will be different for console in which Instant Game Response would have to be turned off to disable VRR, I don't have a console so I might be wrong in that and perhaps there is VRR settings in the Xbox and Ps

·
Registered
148 Posts

I would think by now most would. I did not know this till I bought my TV.. I thought for SURE a 1080 Ti with 11 gig of memory would be able to be used, Its still a beast of a card. So I was in the middle of waiting till the 3080's come out (which won't be till the end of this year or later I hear) or jump in with a 2080 Ti for the ridiculous price of $1200. :eek: I sold my 1080Ti for $400 so that helped a bit and ended up buying it.

But to your point there where a bunch of people in my boat that didn't know just the RTX and 16 series would be the only cards that GSYNC and the C9 work with. NVIDIA just getting more $$$ out of the consumer imo.

821 - 840 of 1617 Posts