AVS Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1617 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
You are fine using Dynamic Tone Mapping ON. Purists will say the game is supposed to be that dark, but my personal preference is it's fine to give dark areas like caves and rooms without lights a little boost.
As for other gaming picture settings, lately I've discovered setting Color Gamut to "Wide" in Advanced Picture Settings. This does to color what Dynamic Tone Mapping does for black levels; it gives it a extra boost without ruining the picture. It might be "incorrect", but even so, it pleases me. :D
Yep I get it. I find Gaming is a different animal for accuracy. With gaming I feel like detecting movement early or seeing flickers of light are important for playability. Also, so many different styles with games so not sure accuracy is really possible since each game can be very abstract or devs use special filters. For Movies and such I can see it and do try to have an accurate picture there. With a movie most scenes are quick and I don’t have to move around them or look for something like on a game level. I do wish if the game supported HGIG you could set DTM to Auto and it chooses the correct setting.

I’ll certainly try your suggestion and see how it goes. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
The SHARC only offers a one way street: it allows you to use the audio EARC output of your TV as a standard HDMI output, but it won't be able to pass a video signal. On my setup, for example, the sharc is plugged into the TV 2nd hdmi port and to the 7th input of my AVR. To get video from the devices plugged into my AVR, one of its output is connected to one of the 3 others free ports on my TV.

You may see this as a drawback, but given the number of hdmi devices I personally use (4 at most, and only one not compatible with the AVR passthrough), it works like a charm.
To not lose that input using an HDFury Diva or Vertex2 that will allow it. In fact, you could use that to add 3 more HDMI inputs for a total of 7.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,083 (Edited)
To not lose that input using an HDFury Diva or Vertex2 that will allow it. In fact, you could use that to add 3 more HDMI inputs for a total of 7.

Good options, but we are talking about the SHARC being $150 vs. over $400 for the HDFury devices. Something for every budget, I guess.

That said, it looks like the SHARC is currently unavailable from Amazon, so hopefully it will be available again for C9 users who want a good eARC solution and on a tight budget.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe there are devices more versatile and permissive than the SHARC, but for my use (and apparently quite a few other people too) and given its price, it does its job perfectly. And collecting inputs just for the sake of it doesn't really interest me :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
According to someone on reddit, it seems the latest firmware fixes the pulsating oval bug in sdr game mode. That's good news; it's just weird that LG still haven't fixed the vrr near black gamma shift.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Has there been any real news on when the DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter is coming out? I'm probably getting a 3090 or whatever the __80 ti equivalent ends up being called, but it would be cool to have 2.1 in the meantime.

Can you link me to whoever sells it? I want to keep an eye on the stock.
You can refer to the other post of mine on the CX forum.

Actually, the first run of this Club3D DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 4K 120Hz adapter hasn't started. But as mentioned by their message, will start some time this week. As seen by their message dated last Sunday.

They are just preparing the page but haven't start selling it yet.

Link to the amazon page here.
https://www.amazon.com/Club-3D-DisplayPort1-4-4K120Hz-CAC-1085/dp/B08BX49V5V

·
Registered
263 Posts
Unfortunately, the first version of the cable from Club3D does not support VRR/GSYNC :frown:
Doesn't bother me one bit since i play windowed games, and it never works in windowed mode anyway.

Nothing wrong with regular v-sync, it's worked fine all these years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Doesn't bother me one bit since i play windowed games, and it never works in windowed mode anyway.
Of course it does work on windowed games, you just have to enable it in the gsync options. The only downside is that it tries to apply it to every application by default, which isn't optimal.

Reactions: 22Green

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Nothing wrong with regular v-sync, it's worked fine all these years.
That's dismissing the really bad issues Vsync has with anything that isn't 30 or 60fps (and 40fps if using native 120hz).

https://www.testufo.com/vrr#photo=bumblebee.jpg&pps=960&framerate=ramp&compare=1

This site really showcases why we need to move away from vsync, and I'm not even talking about input lag. Note: this is a simulation that is completely accurate to the real experience. Look at the differences in the comparisons. Night and day. So unless the games you play ALWAYS stay at 30 or 60 (40 as well at 120hz), Vsync is a stuttery mess.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Good options, but we are talking about the SHARC being $150 vs. over $400 for the HDFury devices. Something for every budget, I guess.

That said, it looks like the SHARC is currently unavailable from Amazon, so hopefully it will be available again for C9 users who want a good eARC solution and on a tight budget.
ThenAudio makers of the SHARC, added a pre-order on their page. You submit your payment with AmazonPay. The estimated ship date is 7/13 (so about 2 weeks). I just put my payment down!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
When playing on PS4 pro, is the tv supposed to automatically switch to the game picture mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think the PS4 supports ALLM so it won't automatically switch. The TV does remember your picture settings for both SDR and HDR mode so if you set your HDR picture to Game mode, it will automatically pick that when you play an HDR game, which many of the PS4 games do support.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just received and installed the aforementioned Club 3D adapter.
I had my doubts it would work correctly with my 1080ti because the description states that it is specifically designed to work with GPU's that support DSC 1.2.
But 100/120Hz at 3840x2160 does work on my GPU, even at 10-bit with HDR! The only caveat so far is that at 100/120Hz I'm only able to select YUV422, which means there's always chroma subsampling. YUV444 or RGB (full or limited) is not selectable. Even at 100Hz with 8-bit (which should be lower bandwidth) YUV422 is the only option.
I have not come across the black screens another user mentioned at Hardforum when switching between SDR/HDR.
Maybe that's because of the HDMI cable used, I use an AudioQuest Pearl cable (2 meters / 6 ft).
So until the new GPU's arrive, this adapter is not a bad solution for around 60 Euro's :)

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I just received and installed the aforementioned Club 3D adapter.
I had my doubts it would work correctly with my 1080ti because the description states that it is specifically designed to work with GPU's that support DSC 1.2.
But 100/120Hz at 3840x2160 does work on my GPU, even at 10-bit with HDR! The only caveat so far is that at 100/120Hz I'm only able to select YUV422, which means there's always chroma subsampling. YUV444 or RGB (full or limited) is not selectable. Even at 100Hz with 8-bit (which should be lower bandwidth) YUV422 is the only option.
Nice! :)

The C9 does not support DSC. I'm wondering now if the Club 3D can take a DSC DP stream and convert it to a non-DSC HDMI stream. We'll have to wait until someone with a DSC capable GPU gives it a shot and can get 4:4:4.

By default, 100Hz takes the same bandwidth as 120Hz. The blanking is increased to make it the same. You can try a custom resolution: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=calc&H=3840&V=2160&F=100&calculations=show&formulas=show

Code:
HEFFECTIVE 	= 	H + HBLANK 	= 	3,840 + 80 	= 	3,920 pixels
VEFFECTIVE 	= 	V + VBLANK 	= 	2,160 + 105 	= 	2,265 pixels

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice! :)

The C9 does not support DSC. I'm wondering now if the Club 3D can take a DSC DP stream and convert it to a non-DSC HDMI stream. We'll have to wait until someone with a DSC capable GPU gives it a shot and can get 4:4:4.

By default, 100Hz takes the same bandwidth as 120Hz. The blanking is increased to make it the same. You can try a custom resolution: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=calc&H=3840&V=2160&F=100&calculations=show&formulas=show

Code:
HEFFECTIVE 	= 	H + HBLANK 	= 	3,840 + 80 	= 	3,920 pixels
VEFFECTIVE 	= 	V + VBLANK 	= 	2,160 + 105 	= 	2,265 pixels
I was under the impression that DSC is only used from the GPU to the adapter and from the adapter to the TV is a raw HDMI 2.1 stream (HDMI 2.1 should have enough bandwidth even without compression). But I could be wrong.

I tried creating a custom resolution with the NVidia control panel, but that thing is borked. It won't even let me create a resolution with 60Hz (it just says the monitor doesn't support it).
CRU I tried as well, but there seems to be a limit of 66~78Hz (depending upon the timing) after which the edit boxes become red and it won't let me save the resolution.

My 1080ti could very well be the limiting factor here...

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I was under the impression that DSC is only used from the GPU to the adapter and from the adapter to the TV is a raw HDMI 2.1 stream (HDMI 2.1 should have enough bandwidth even without compression). But I could be wrong.
Yes, that's how I figured it would operate. Makes more sense that way.

I tried creating a custom resolution with the NVidia control panel, but that thing is borked. It won't even let me create a resolution with 60Hz (it just says the monitor doesn't support it).
CRU I tried as well, but there seems to be a limit of 66~78Hz (depending upon the timing) after which the edit boxes become red and it won't let me save the resolution.
I'm not an expert on how to set the custom modes on a PC. But I believe there are a couple of people here that do.

1081 - 1100 of 1617 Posts