AVS Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1567 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm not an expert on how to set the custom modes on a PC. But I believe there are a couple of people here that do.
I fiddled around more with CRU and created a custom resolution based on the extension block DisplayID.
There I could use higher refresh rates. When using LCD reduced timing I got a no signal message, but with LCD standard (which is still 400 lines less than default) it works.
I can now use 100Hz with Full RGB and HDR (8-bit with dithering), so that's an improvement!
100Hz has a pixel clock of around 906MHz and 120Hz is close to 1100MHz so that may be too much for full chroma.
Now to find out where the actual limit is in order to squeeze more out of it :D

Where did you buy the cable? I know it's sold out atm. Just curious.
I bought it at Alternate.nl, but it was in stock very briefly. I was very lucky. Club3D is a Dutch company, maybe that's why there were in stock here earlier.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yes, that's how I figured it would operate. Makes more sense that way.

I'm not an expert on how to set the custom modes on a PC. But I believe there are a couple of people here that do.
This is a guide I used to get 66hz 4k, might be the same process for 120hz

Open the application;

Select "LG TV (active)" in the drop-down list (top left corner);

Under "Detailed resolutions", click on "Add";

Select "Automatic - LCD standard" as the timing; * This is important

Type in the necessary resolution (3840x2160) and refresh rate (66Hz) information *change 66 to 120

Click on "OK". The new resolution should show up at the bottom of the "Detailed resolutions" list

Select it and click on the"up" arrow until it's in the top position (that makes it your new native resolution)

Click on "OK" and restart Windows to apply the EDID override (DO NOT RUN restart64.exe)

Right-click on your desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel"

Navigate to Display > Change resolution

Scroll down to the bottom of the "Resolution" list

Under "PC", select "3840x2160 (native)", make sure to select 66Hz as the refresh rate and click on "Apply". * 66 now 120

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is a guide I used to get 66hz 4k, might be the same process for 120hz

Open the application;

Select "LG TV (active)" in the drop-down list (top left corner);

Under "Detailed resolutions", click on "Add";

Select "Automatic - LCD standard" as the timing; * This is important

Type in the necessary resolution (3840x2160) and refresh rate (66Hz) information *change 66 to 120

Click on "OK". The new resolution should show up at the bottom of the "Detailed resolutions" list

Select it and click on the"up" arrow until it's in the top position (that makes it your new native resolution)

Click on "OK" and restart Windows to apply the EDID override (DO NOT RUN restart64.exe)

Right-click on your desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel"

Navigate to Display > Change resolution

Scroll down to the bottom of the "Resolution" list

Under "PC", select "3840x2160 (native)", make sure to select 66Hz as the refresh rate and click on "Apply". * 66 now 120
Thanks, but with the default detailed resolutions you're limited to a pixel clock of 655MHz.
If you add the extension block DisplayID, you will be able to add much higher refresh rates.
I now created a custom resolution with a manually reduced banking (from 119 vertical lines to 40) and 120Hz is now working at Full RGB 8-bit.
The pixel clock is 1060Mhz and is just within the limits of DP 1.4 (32Gbs).

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks, but with the default detailed resolutions you're limited to a pixel clock of 655MHz.
If you add the extension block DisplayID, you will be able to add much higher refresh rates.
I now created a custom resolution with a manually reduced banking (from 119 vertical lines to 40) and 120Hz is now working at Full RGB 8-bit.
The pixel clock is 1060Mhz and is just within the limits of DP 1.4 (32Gbs).
Excellent good stuff, I'll be getting one as soon as it's back in stock, all sold out on alternate.nl, I found some in stock in a German website but won't ship to Ireland :frown:
Good to know it works anyway. Feels like a long time waiting for this product to come around
I'd say your desktop is running buttery smooth now :):)
Would be interested to here your review on gaming with it, when you get a chance, 1080ti 4k 120hz gaming is asking a lot so turning down a few settings depending on the game is more than likely needed

·
Registered
258 Posts
Of course it does work on windowed games, you just have to enable it in the gsync options. The only downside is that it tries to apply it to every application by default, which isn't optimal.
Well it's never worked on path of exile, unless i am doing something wrong.

PoE turns into a stuttery mess with g-sync on a 2080ti in windowed mode. never had it working. tried everything.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice! :)

The C9 does not support DSC. I'm wondering now if the Club 3D can take a DSC DP stream and convert it to a non-DSC HDMI stream. We'll have to wait until someone with a DSC capable GPU gives it a shot and can get 4:4:4.

By default, 100Hz takes the same bandwidth as 120Hz. The blanking is increased to make it the same. You can try a custom resolution: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=calc&H=3840&V=2160&F=100&calculations=show&formulas=show

Code:
HEFFECTIVE 	= 	H + HBLANK 	= 	3,840 + 80 	= 	3,920 pixels
VEFFECTIVE 	= 	V + VBLANK 	= 	2,160 + 105 	= 	2,265 pixels

I was a bit surprised to hear the C9 does not support DSC, not very happy with that discovery.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Excellent good stuff, I'll be getting one as soon as it's back in stock, all sold out on alternate.nl, I found some in stock in a German website but won't ship to Ireland :frown:
Good to know it works anyway. Feels like a long time waiting for this product to come around
Would be interested to here your review on gaming with it, when you get a chance, 1080ti 4k 120hz gaming is asking a lot so turning down a few settings depending on the game is more than likely needed
Yeah all these European sites won't deliver overseas to Australia, lol it's killin me :p

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Display stream compression

But then again, the C9 uses the full 48gbps port, so would it even be useful? since 48gbps will max out the tv resolution of [email protected] hdr
Not needed for what the C9 can display. I was just musing over how the Club 3D operates. Most likely it takes a 32Gbps DP 1.4 DSC signal and converts it to a 48Gbps HDMI 2.1 signal. But if it doesn't decompress the video and expects the TV to do it then it will be limited to 32Gbps on the C9.

Most likely it does the former.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just received and installed the aforementioned Club 3D adapter.
I had my doubts it would work correctly with my 1080ti because the description states that it is specifically designed to work with GPU's that support DSC 1.2.
But 100/120Hz at 3840x2160 does work on my GPU, even at 10-bit with HDR! The only caveat so far is that at 100/120Hz I'm only able to select YUV422, which means there's always chroma subsampling. YUV444 or RGB (full or limited) is not selectable. Even at 100Hz with 8-bit (which should be lower bandwidth) YUV422 is the only option.
I have not come across the black screens another user mentioned at Hardforum when switching between SDR/HDR.
Maybe that's because of the HDMI cable used, I use an AudioQuest Pearl cable (2 meters / 6 ft).
So until the new GPU's arrive, this adapter is not a bad solution for around 60 Euro's :)
Does it support GSYNC?
Update: seems not, and has several issues https://hardforum.com/threads/lg-48cx.1991077/post-1044640396

·
Registered
810 Posts
Is it true that there will be a big update coming to the c9 in July? I hope that one will fix the vrr near black issue
I just got VRR working yesterday on a VEGA 56(I had a 1080ti which I just sold, in preparation of HDMI 2.1 cards)

I'm using an LG B9, which doesn't have official freesync support, but you can add freesync manually via the CRU tool.

Anyway, it works. But I didn't expect the near black issue to be so obvious. It makes the display look about the same as a bad LCD display.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to happen at higher framerates, but anything that's 60 or below looks very grey.

I don't know if this is the same issue you're describing. Because what i'm seeing, definitely looks a lot worse than just "boosted blacks"

It looks on par with my TN LCD panel on a black background. But again, only at low framerates.

I also have issues with the screen randomly going black, but not always. Sometimes just switching resolutions back and forth are all it takes to fix that problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah, it's amazing how smooth the desktop is now. It takes a while to get used to it, in the beginning I even had difficulty pointing the mouse :p

I have some lighter games which can run at 4k 120fps (like American/Euro Truck Simulator), but in other games the video card just can't manage more than 70-80 fps.

I had to tune the custom resolution one more time because of occasional flickering at the right side of the screen. I upped the back porch from 40 to 50 lines and all is good. Because I have to work from home I have to use the tv a lot and I didn't have any issues today.

Another thing that I found out is that in PC mode and using 100 or 120Hz with HDR, there's much less banding than at 60Hz. Maybe it's because the higher bandwidth is handled by a different chipset in the tv. I remember the 9 series having a separate chipset for HDMI 2.1.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Another thing that I found out is that in PC mode and using 100 or 120Hz with HDR, there's much less banding than at 60Hz. Maybe it's because the higher bandwidth is handled by a different chipset in the tv. I remember the 9 series having a separate chipset for HDMI 2.1.

The banding is annoying, I just disabled PC mode altogether and never looked back. The input lag seems identical anyway, so I don't see the point in losing color capabilities by using the PC mode.

Now, if LG were to give us the extra 120hz that are freed up by turning off the dithering, I wouldn't mind the banding too much... 240hz would be incredible.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discovered today that LG new line (CX, GX, etc.) supports FreeSync Premium with low framerate compensation (LFC). Does C9 support that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know if we'll ever get a fix to the near black gamma shift when Gsync is on. I had an LG tech over to try to diagnose my TV and he said he had to follow up with the engineers. He called me later the same day and said it's basically working as intended.

HDTVTest says that this is because the dithering fix is disabled in VRR which causes the brightening at 8:40 in this video:

https://youtu.be/FT5VK5YPTkc

I hope that LG can patch this in a firmware update. It is terrible looking and extremely distracting.

1101 - 1120 of 1567 Posts