AVS Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1539 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't know if we'll ever get a fix to the near black gamma shift when Gsync is on. I had an LG tech over to try to diagnose my TV and he said he had to follow up with the engineers. He called me later the same day and said it's basically working as intended.

HDTVTest says that this is because the dithering fix is disabled in VRR which causes the brightening at 8:40 in this video:

https://youtu.be/FT5VK5YPTkc

I hope that LG can patch this in a firmware update. It is terrible looking and extremely distracting.
Which country do you live in? If you don't live in the US or the UK then probably we can ignore what the tech guys/engineers say. Based on my own experience, they are usually clueless about these issues. If you can, argue with him on how this is working as intended when it clearly isn't. Let's hear what he has to say.

On the side note, I'm pretty sure LG is now aware of the issue but yeah there's no guarantee LG will fix it. Recent update fixes the long standing issue of pulsating oval shape in game mode though so it gives me a bit of hope.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Which country do you live in? If you don't live in the US or the UK then probably we can ignore what the tech guys/engineers say. Based on my own experience, they are usually clueless about these issues. If you can, argue with him on how this is working as intended when it clearly isn't. Let's hear what he has to say.

On the side note, I'm pretty sure LG is now aware of the issue but yeah there's no guarantee LG will fix it. Recent update fixes the long standing issue of pulsating oval shape in game mode though so it gives me a bit of hope.
I live in the United States. The tech probably does not know what he's doing although he did claim that he spoke to the engineering team. The tech made it seem like this was a burn-in protection feature which seems like BS.

And yes the fact that the grey oval in game mode was fixed in the latest firmware gives me hope. This is the last major issue for the TV for me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is there way we'll know when this cable supports VRR and G-SYNC? first release does not but I wonder how long till the next version(s) will. Guess checking the website periodically.. I will buy this when G-SYNC is supported since i'll use it with my 2080Ti as others also mentioned the same.

https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2496/displayport_1.4_to_hdmi_4k120hz_hdr_active_adapter_m-f/

https://smile.amazon.com/Club-3D-DisplayPort1-4-4K120Hz-CAC-1085/dp/B08BX49V5V/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_4368549507?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8

Reactions: Bahn Yuki

·
Registered
464 Posts

I live in the United States. The tech probably does not know what he's doing although he did claim that he spoke to the engineering team. The tech made it seem like this was a burn-in protection feature which seems like BS.

And yes the fact that the grey oval in game mode was fixed in the latest firmware gives me hope. This is the last major issue for the TV for me.
Well...then I guess US tech support is the same as the rest of the world lol. Burn in protection my a**.
FlatpanelsHD told me that they contacted a person who was directly involved in vrr implementation about the issue so the top engineers were most likely aware of this. Besides, there's a high chance LG engineers watch Vincent's latest videos so they know this is due to the missing dithering gamma fix

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well...then I guess US tech support is the same as the rest of the world lol. Burn in protection my a**.
FlatpanelsHD told me that they contacted a person who was directly involved in vrr implementation about the issue so the top engineers were most likely aware of this. Besides, there's a high chance LG engineers watch Vincent's latest videos so they know this is due to the missing dithering gamma fix
That's definitely a good start. More people submitting support tickets to LG also couldn't hurt. It would help bring even more awareness to the issue and hopefully LG would set it as a higher priority to fix.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Not sure which threads would want to know this, so I may duplicate this post in three of them where it's relevant in case it's of any use.

For this thread I know the SHARC is a big point of discussion for eARC HTPC support, and if anyone has a 2017 Denon make sure you actually test a potential direct eARC instead of just assuming it won't work.

It looks like I may have one of those 2017 Denon AVRs that is properly doing eARC with a C9. I just connected my HTPC directly to the C9, which is connected to my x3400h via the HDMI2-ARC input.

I powered it all on and went into the C9 and turned eARC on. The HTCP gave the option for 5.1 and 7.1 in the audio output options but it didn't playback correctly and the 3400 still showed stereo input from the TV Audio. However, I turned off the entire system (TV, AVR, HTPC) and then turned everything back on. This time when I went into the Windows speaker setup I still had the surround options available, but this time the receiver display switched to showing "Multi In" on the TV Input and the speaker channel test in the windows speaker setup plays back in all the speakers correctly. I didn't change any settings in the x3400h, ARC was already on and in use (for my OSSC for my retro consoles), and I didn't see anything that explicitly turned on eARC vs ARC in the Denon AVR menus.

I've power cycled a few more times and it seems to be working across power cycles, so maybe I've lucked out and don't need a SHARC after all. My HTPC and gaming consoles are the only devices I really would need eARC support for (my UHD player is fine running through the receiver). Luckily I hadn't pre-emptively purchased a SHARC, so while it's out of stock, I guess people in my situation really do just need to actually test it and see if they're lucky and it works.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just got an email back from club3d, make of it what you will, still doesn't really clarify much.

Hi can you please clarify some details regarding the CAC-1085?

If I have a 2080ti and a LG C9

Can I enable [email protected] hz with 4:4:4 Colour and 10bit HDR?

Or is it 8bit?

Does the adapter take the DP1.4a DSC signal and uncompress it to hdmi2.1?

So 25.92 Gbit/s signal from the video card to the adapter, uncompress then convert to 32.27Gbit/s hdmi2.1 from the adapter to the HDMI2.1 port?

There is a lot of talk and confusion going around, some clarification would be great 

Regards,

---------------------------
Hi ****,

Yes the adapter is able to support [email protected] with 444 and 10Bit
The adapter is able to Bypass and Decode
It does note Encode DSC Compression

With the LG C9 the support for 48Gbps full HDMI is there. Please note that newer LG TV from 2020 does not support fully the 48Gbps but only 40Gbps so limitations might be on the supported devices.

We hope this answer your questions.

Best regards

Club3D Support

Also a question on Amazon was answered:

Question: Does this require a tv/screen that supports dsc, or is that just required for the source?
Answer:No it does not require the screen to support DSC the adapter will work as a decoder or bypass when the source is supporting it .

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Just got an email back from club3d, make of it what you will, still doesn't really clarify much.
It actually clarifies a lot.

Yes the adapter is able to support [email protected] with 444 and 10Bit
The adapter is able to Bypass and Decode
It does note Encode DSC Compression

With the LG C9 the support for 48Gbps full HDMI is there. Please note that newer LG TV from 2020 does not support fully the 48Gbps but only 40Gbps so limitations might be on the supported devices.
Based on their replay, if the TV supports DSC it (the adapter) will pass it along to the TV to decompress. If the TV doesn't then the adapter will decompress it. They're also indicating they can do 48Gbps on the HDMI side.

That should allow 4K 120Hz RGB/4:4:4 12-bit but they've confirmed at least 10-bit.

Question: Does this require a tv/screen that supports dsc, or is that just required for the source?
Answer:No it does not require the screen to support DSC the adapter will work as a decoder or bypass when the source is supporting it .
A better worded reply here. So yeah, looks like it will decompress the DSC if the TV can't. And won't if the TV can handle it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
How so? Let's say there's a TV that has only 32Gbps ports but has DSC. The adapter would just convert from DP to HDMI but leave the DSC intact.
No i was making a joke, because you said the tv will pass the signal to the tv

nevermind, just the way it's worded :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
IMPORTANT ABOUT VRR FIX
John Archer has replied to me on Twitter today. He has contacted with LG engineers about the VRR gamma issue, but LG not found how to replicate this issue.
Can you answer on twitter thread with your videos to show the error?
I just responded to the thread with some videos and methods of how to replicate... how the LG engineers are unable to replicate the issue is beyond me, it's present in every game with near-black scenes. MW main menus, Minecraft, RDR2 main menus, any underground segment in Assassin's Creed Origins or Odyssey, etc. If other people could respond to the thread with more videos and methods of how to replicate the issue that would be really helpful.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi guys!
this boy: (see video description and comments for more details)
he says in the video that the LG C9 is fully compatible with Freesync and LFC trought HDMI VRR? (if i don't understand it wrong). "Officially" only on LG CX, i imagine for marketing suposes or something else?? he same thing that happens with Dolby Vision IQ and HGIG, two functions present and functionally on C9, not only on LG CX.

It's true? Thanks!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Played Blair Witch the game today and finally gsync causes issue like I mentioned earlier. During night scenes in the game with the whole screen being almost dark grey, there’s intermittent flashing when the character walks around (which causes fps fluctuation and activates gsync). Disabling gsync fixes it. So there you go. Tweet this so LG can fix it.
I think this is an unreal engine 4 issue. This only happens to me in unreal engine 4 games. I first noticed it in Sea of thieves, then again with borderlands 3. People in this thread mentioned Jedi Fallen order has the issue, and I looked up Blair witch and yes it's unreal engine 4 as well.

I don't have this issue in other games i've tried. Modern warfare, Far Cry 5, Gunfire Reborn ect. It's not even an issue with unreal engine 3 games. I tested batman since i had it installed and no flicker.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think this is an unreal engine 4 issue. This only happens to me in unreal engine 4 games. I first noticed it in Sea of thieves, then again with borderlands 3. People in this thread mentioned Jedi Fallen order has the issue, and I looked up Blair witch and yes it's unreal engine 4 as well.

I don't have this issue in other games i've tried. Modern warfare, Far Cry 5, Gunfire Reborn ect. It's not even an issue with unreal engine 3 games. I tested batman since i had it installed and no flicker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKiFV4oRZLk&feature=emb_title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQWTb123q_0&feature=emb_title
I play on pc, not xbox. The flickering issue I encountered in Blair Witch is not the same as that flickering issue in those videos. Mine did not flash constantly like that. My flickering issue is more similar to the chrominance overshoot issue which is a side effect of the well-known vrr near black gamma shift issue (which plagues both pc and xbox), while the other flickering issue is probably caused by some compatibility problem between the xbox and tvs that support any form of variable refresh rate (I didn't observe such flickering on pc). And no, unreal engine 4 is not the culprit of my flickering issue since I didn't see the issue in Gear 5. It may be the culprit of the other flickering issue though, but I heard from an user that he saw the problem in Modern Warfare menu as well.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I play on pc, not xbox. The flickering issue I encountered in Blair Witch is not the same as that flickering issue in those videos. Mine did not flash constantly like that. My flickering issue is more similar to the chrominance overshoot issue which is a side effect of the well-known vrr near black gamma shift issue (which plagues both pc and xbox), while the other flickering issue is probably caused by some compatibility problem between the xbox and tvs that support any form of variable refresh rate (I didn't observe such flickering on pc). And no, unreal engine 4 is not the culprit of my flickering issue since I didn't see the issue in Gear 5. It may be the culprit of the other flickering issue though, but I heard from an user that he saw the problem in Modern Warfare menu as well.

I play on pc as well.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Not sure which threads would want to know this, so I may duplicate this post in three of them where it's relevant in case it's of any use.

For this thread I know the SHARC is a big point of discussion for eARC HTPC support, and if anyone has a 2017 Denon make sure you actually test a potential direct eARC instead of just assuming it won't work.

It looks like I may have one of those 2017 Denon AVRs that is properly doing eARC with a C9. I just connected my HTPC directly to the C9, which is connected to my x3400h via the HDMI2-ARC input.

I powered it all on and went into the C9 and turned eARC on. The HTCP gave the option for 5.1 and 7.1 in the audio output options but it didn't playback correctly and the 3400 still showed stereo input from the TV Audio. However, I turned off the entire system (TV, AVR, HTPC) and then turned everything back on. This time when I went into the Windows speaker setup I still had the surround options available, but this time the receiver display switched to showing "Multi In" on the TV Input and the speaker channel test in the windows speaker setup plays back in all the speakers correctly. I didn't change any settings in the x3400h, ARC was already on and in use (for my OSSC for my retro consoles), and I didn't see anything that explicitly turned on eARC vs ARC in the Denon AVR menus.

I've power cycled a few more times and it seems to be working across power cycles, so maybe I've lucked out and don't need a SHARC after all. My HTPC and gaming consoles are the only devices I really would need eARC support for (my UHD player is fine running through the receiver). Luckily I hadn't pre-emptively purchased a SHARC, so while it's out of stock, I guess people in my situation really do just need to actually test it and see if they're lucky and it works.

I had to actually go into CRU and set lpcm to 8 channels. Even with the newest firmware it was set to stereo. The odd thing is multichannel pcm would often work on boot, but if I turned off my display bad left my pc on and the turned it back on only stereo would be available. After changing it in cru multichannel pcm works at all times now.

·
Registered
530 Posts

It is 100% not exclusive to any game engine. We shouldn't muddy the waters on this matter, since LG has already been tone deaf.

My most recently played game I've encountered this with is Diablo 3 on PC. I play probably 90% console, 10% PC, and I've only had my C9 for about a month and a half, so I don't have a whole lot of titles I've played on PC recently. Diablo 3 and Gears Tactics are the 2 most recently played where I've witnessed the issue.

I do have Sea of Thieves installed on my PC right now and that could be a title I can test, as well. However, I've only ever experienced this with Diablo 3 and Gears Tactics loading. How do I recreate the issue? Is it a framerate drop? I'm not entirely clear on how to reproduce the matter.

IMPORTANT ABOUT VRR FIX
John Archer has replied to me on Twitter today. He has contacted with LG engineers about the VRR gamma issue, but LG not found how to replicate this issue.
Can you answer on twitter thread with your videos to show the error?
https://twitter.com/BigJohnnyArcher/status/1280436872477650944?s=20
I just responded to the thread with some videos and methods of how to replicate... how the LG engineers are unable to replicate the issue is beyond me, it's present in every game with near-black scenes. MW main menus, Minecraft, RDR2 main menus, any underground segment in Assassin's Creed Origins or Odyssey, etc. If other people could respond to the thread with more videos and methods of how to replicate the issue that would be really helpful.
Can you relay those methods here? I don't have social media and a cursory glance at the Twitter link above didn't yield any results.

I've never experienced this issue on my Xbox One X. However, there are only a handful of VRR games. Gears 5 is a VRR game, but you mention Modern Warfare. Can anyone relay on a way to reproduce this on the Xbox (or any other console)?

1121 - 1140 of 1539 Posts