AVS Forum banner

2121 - 2140 of 2217 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
So you tweak the 2 point high with HGIG engaged? I disabled all dynamic tone mapping for mine but enabled HGIG after. I haven't looked at any clipping slides to confirm if that was an issue.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
So you tweak the 2 point high with HGIG engaged? I disabled all dynamic tone mapping for mine but enabled HGIG after. I haven't looked at any clipping slides to confirm if that was an issue.
No, you just follow everything you would do for the normal HDR mode, but enable HGIG when complete. But that’s personal preference as some people prefer to use Dynamic Tone Mapping.

EDIT: Reading my post back it did actually read the way you interpreted it so I apologise for that. Nearly midnight on a Sunday when I wrote it ;)

But to be honest, if you are either using the iTPG, or an external TPG with Enable Calibration checked (which should be the case with external TPG in HDR), you are bypassing PQ and tone mapping anyway, so it’s all irrelevant.

But I’ve edited the initial post for clarity.

Reactions: Rob67

·
Registered
6 Posts
good morning everyone, I'm new here.
I have a LG C9 55 "from February 2020, with LG SL9YG bar.
So far I have only calibrated my TV looking at the settings of famous sites that deal with these topics.
But I would like to do something more specific because I am not 100% satisfied with all of its settings.
I use it for everything, movies, YT, soon PS5, even with NVIDIA PCs (I have some problems there, I await FW update).
But whenever I was looking for something to calibrate, I would come across Calman calibration, but that's too much money to spend on just one TV calibration.
Is there something equally functional but with an honest expense?
Thank you.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
How can I do a manual color saturation adjustment measurement ? (55 C9) Just a simple way to dial in the overall color level control? I have CM LG Home and CP3.

thx

bob

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Can i also use it for a 77 Inch Oled?
All LG OLED users can use it since the i1Display PRO is not coming with any EDR table for WRGB OLED.

The OLED EDR of i1Display PRO is useful for broadcast Sony RGB OLED, not for any LG OLED.

·
Registered
188 Posts
All LG OLED users can use it since the i1Display PRO is not coming with any EDR table for WRGB OLED.

The OLED EDR of i1Display PRO is useful for broadcast Sony RGB OLED, not for any LG OLED.
DNICE told me that an awp is not necessary for my 77c9?
But for me it look awful with d65. But he don't want a discussion because he tried.
What do you think about it?

·
Registered
18,311 Posts
But for me it look awful with d65. But he don't want a discussion because he tried.
I don’t want to discuss further because I’m not sitting in Germany with you, your display and your meter. I am not familiar with the i1pro 3 and Eizo so I don’t have the knowledge with those devices to properly assist you.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I don't have access to USA LG TVs to see what is happening.

But trust what D-Nice is saying.

·
Registered
18,311 Posts
I don't have access to USA LG TVs to see what is happening.

But trust what D-Nice is saying.
Right. I’m just not comfortable giving detailed advise on items I have no experience with. I know how influential my posts are which require great responsibility.

I will say that just because an i1pro 3 measures his Eizo LED LCD @ D65 does not mean the Eizo is immune to metameric failure. It is still a WCG LED LCD and needs to be verified it is not impacted.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
The point of the posts about AWP is for OLED users to match the white of a reference plasma/crt.

It would be best if you had a standard (not wide gamut) LCD / plasma / CRT to your place to test with your meters and match all your displays.

What is your point to your calibration, you just want both displays to have the same White?

....or you want to match a wide gamut EIZO with the LG OLED to watch the same SDR movie and look the same?

You need to perform 3D LUT to both displays, match peak output also.

Just doing AWP is not enough when you want to match two different displays.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
May I just add (just to quantify the points previously made even further) the i1 Pro may not even read a standard gamut display perfectly accurately, as per the discussion many months ago in the LightSpace LG OLED thread when I first performed my i1 Pro vs Jeti comparison.

With the Pioneer Kuro Plasma calibrated to (as close as I could get it) D65 with the Jeti 5nm Spectro, a simultaneous read with the 10nm i1 Pro was a little off, although not as large a variance when measuring the WRGB OLED

Pioneer Kuro Plasma

So when you take this into account, if the Eizo is also a wide gamut display, then it is possible that the i1 Pro is not going to read D65 accurately on that display either.

There are just so many variables, there is no "one size fits all" approach to any of this. What I can say is that for users with a high end Spectro, the D-Nice AWP (yes I still call it that ;) ) are the go-to coordinates. For i1 Pro users, the best we currently have are those that I provided at the time (unless somebody else wants to replicate what I did and measure the WOLED panel with both meters) as these were obtained by measuring with the 2 probes simultaneously.

LG OLED65C9

·
Registered
188 Posts
First of all. Thank you for spending your time to my calibration experience.
Some infos about my situation:
1. The Eizo is a SRGB Color Gamut Display.
2. I checked the eizo with the ipro3, with the display3 with and without profile and everytime I'm very near at D65.
3. I have set my LG77C9 to the eizo by perceptual matching
4. Then i measured 100 IRE on Eizo and took this whitepoint as my AWP. And this AWP is nearly the same coordinates like Ted's.
5. So i calibrated with SM WB this corrdinates to 80% IRE (Because of Linearity) to the LG77C9 and did the rest with the 22PT. it looks great like never before. every content now looks the same on both.
6. Then Dnice said it is not necessary to do it, because the 77C9 is great at D65.
- I know that you are much more advanced than me. But in my defense I have to say I'm doing it also for 15 years with projectors, Monitors and TV's. So I think my Eizo is really at D65.
7. Ok, calibrated my 77C9 to D65 again to verify. It looks really really coolish against the eizo. To much red and blue to my taste.

So there are some options why it could the case of the difference.
1. I'm doing all wrong from the beginning
2. My measurement equippment is wrong
3. The 77C9 from Dnice (I think it's a US Model like Ted mentioned) is not like my EU Model?

At the moment I'm satisfied with my and Ted's Ipro AWP coordinates.

But since I know that Dnice is a professional and his testimony should not be neglected, I will research it further

Maybe i will find out..

So one question makes me confusing:
Why does a 77 behave differently with AWP than a 65 or 55?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
So there are some options why is it the case.
1. I'm doing all wrong from the beginning
2. My measurement equippment is wrong
3. The 77C9 from Dnice (I think it's a US Model like Ted mentioned) is not like my EU Model?
As I stated above, the i1 Pro meters (being a 10nm Spectro) does not read white (the actual mixture of RGB) the same as a high end Spectro, not even on a Plasma display. So even if your monitor is a standard sRGB it may be very slightly off on that display too when compared to what a 5nm Spectro would read. When you add the fact that LG OLED uses a WRGB sub-pixel structure into the equation, that difference becomes amplified a little.

This is why I showed you the Spectra scan differences between and RGB additive display and a WRGB non-additive display in the other thread

That is not suggesting your measurement equipment is wrong, just that it will not read as accurately as a higher end 5nm or better Spectroradiometer. This will most definitely be part of why you are seeing some differences in your measurements

At the moment I'm satisfied with my and Ted's Ipro AWP coordinates.
That is all that matters. If you have found a white that looks correct to you after perceptually matching to a different display then that is what you should use. That is the point of perceptual matching and is why I initially suggested it to you in the first place.

So one question makes me confusing:
Why does a 77 behave differently than a 65 or 55?
The most logical explanation is pixel spacing, but there could be any number of reasons. The most important thing really is that you initially felt that D65 somehow "didn't look right" to you beforehand, but after matching to a display that you do feel looks correct you are now happy with your results.

The fact you also came to the same coordinates as I did (the AWP Ted provides for i1 Pro users) could just be coincidence or it could mean European 77" WOLED panels do indeed need an AWP too. Unless others are willing to experiment in the same way on more samples, I guess we'll never know.

·
Registered
188 Posts
As I stated above, the i1 Pro meters (being a 10nm Spectro) does not read white (the actual mixture of RGB) the same as a high end Spectro, not even on a Plasma display. So even if your monitor is a standard sRGB it may be very slightly off on that display too when compared to what a 5nm Spectro would read. When you add the fact that LG OLED uses a WRGB sub-pixel structure into the equation, that difference becomes amplified a little.

This is why I showed you the Spectra scan differences between and RGB additive display and a WRGB non-additive display in the other thread

That is not suggesting your measurement equipment is wrong, just that it will not read as accurately as a higher end 5nm or better Spectroradiometer. This will most definitely be part of why you are seeing some differences in your measurements

The most logical explanation is pixel spacing, but there could be any number of reasons. The most important thing really is that you initially felt that D65 somehow "didn't look right" to you beforehand, but after matching to a display that you do feel looks correct you are now happy with your results.
1. So an Ipro3 at the end is useless?
2. My previous Scrrens (Beamer) looks good to me at D65-

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
1. So an Ipro3 at the end is useless?
2. My previous Scrrens (Beamer) looks good to me at D65-
No, I never said that.

The i1 Pro meters are fantastic, and absolutely excellent value for the money they cost. Colours read very, very accurately, even on WRGB OLED, when compared to the Jeti. It is the mixture of colour to make white where it falls a little short especially on displays with narrow bandwidth primaries. It was the whole reason I posted the full details of the differences many months ago when I first purchased my Jeti and still had my (then only 9 month old) i1 Pro2 to make the direct comparison with.

So, if you can find a white offset to your liking with an i1 Pro (as you have done) you then create a meter correction profile for your tristimulus (i1 Display Pro I assume, so use the Bodner method in CalMAN if possible), and as long as you target the offset white point you have set, you can be assured that the rest of the colours will indeed be very accurate.

Reactions: Dirk Pajonk

·
Registered
18,311 Posts

That is all that matters. If you have found a white that looks correct to you after perceptually matching to a different display then that is what you should use. That is the point of perceptual matching and is why I initially suggested it to you in the first place.

The fact you also came to the same coordinates as I did (the AWP Ted provides for i1 Pro users) could just be coincidence or it could mean European 77" WOLED panels do indeed need an AWP too. Unless others are willing to experiment in the same way on more samples, I guess we'll never know.
I really do wish there were others out there with 5nm spectros and owned a 77 and a smaller OLED to compare side by side. More data point, the better.

2121 - 2140 of 2217 Posts