AVS Forum banner

2241 - 2260 of 2264 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought it was crazy, but yes, I also experienced strange behavior with black level 17 or RGB 0.5. Sometimes visible, sometimes not. My contrast is 85 and brightness 50. Gamma 2.4 Perhaps the temperature of the panel influences, I do not know.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi @mikigio

Following our recent conversation (and the one I have had with @Callek ), I have been checking this at various times on a daily basis.

After updating to the latest official FW of 05.03.10, I did initially see this issue exactly how you describe in that 17 was not visible.

However, after unplugging the TV for several minutes and checking again, I have yet been unable to reproduce it. I can take some more pictures for you if you like, but they will only show what they did before. 17 is always visible for me with the default Brightness value of 50, and all steps thereafter rise in the expected manner.

I agree that this seems very strange and definitely seems like something that has been introduced with a FW update that affects some panels more than others.

I will continue to monitor and update you if I see any changes.

Hello and thanks for the tests you have performed, I believe that there are panels more or less sensitive to the problem perhaps due to more or less narrow tolerances in the electronic components but I also believe that now we can say it is a Bug Firmware to which LG should remedy, how to do?

Also in my case if I left the plug disconnected from the current for the whole note, for example, then I had a good functioning for a longer period (even a few days) but this is not always ...in my case it is all very random but something had violated the correct functioning.

Another way to get the panel back to proper operation was to view a HDR broadcast for 10/15 minutes, sometimes it had a temporary resolving effect.

For anyone reading now I had forgotten to mention that the problem occurs only and exclusively on SDR, even with the old motherboard afflicted by the Firmware problem in HDR and DV the near black according to the control patterns (masciola's UHD) was always OK, only SDR shows the problem.

We are in a new page, for those who want to learn more read here:

Maybe it would be useful to open a special tread?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I thought it was crazy, but yes, I also experienced strange behavior with black level 17 or RGB 0.5. Sometimes visible, sometimes not. My contrast is 85 and brightness 50. Gamma 2.4 Perhaps the temperature of the panel influences, I do not know.
Yes, Contrast 85 and Brightness 50 is really perfect if there is no Firmware problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm sure it's going to look great!
When you have the time could you see if you're getting black crush on level 17 / 0.5% with Brightness at 50?
I will check near black during the coming days.
Chris

Reactions: Callek

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,625 Posts
The LOTR 4K Dolby Vision makes obvious the differences between DV Cinema Home and DV Cinema.
Cinema home seems to raise the entire picture level including black detail.
Cinema is never as bright even on the brightest scenes.

Are there EOTF measurements of Dolby Vision Cinema Home and Cinema?

- Rich

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hola y Feliz Navidad. He podido comprobar una y otra vez que el RGB 0.5 en mi C9. permanece una y otra vez inestable, a veces visibles otras no lo son. Incluso el 18 está a veces aplastado, otras perfectamente visible. No sé cómo abordar este problema hasta que esperemos a que LG nos dé una solución.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hola y Feliz Navidad. He podido comprobar una y otra vez que el RGB 0.5 en mi C9. permanece una y otra vez inestable, a veces visibles otras no lo son. Incluso el 18 está a veces aplastado, otras perfectamente visible. No sé cómo abordar este problema hasta que esperemos a que LG nos dé una solución.
Creo haber leído un par de veces que la única solución es desconectar la tele de la electricidad un par de minutos y volver a enchufarla.

Reactions: samuel.c.casilla

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
The LOTR 4K Dolby Vision makes obvious the differences between DV Cinema Home and DV Cinema.
Cinema home seems to raise the entire picture level including black detail.
Cinema is never as bright even on the brightest scenes.

Are there EOTF measurements of Dolby Vision Cinema Home and Cinema?

- Rich
Cinema home is the Dolby Vision bright room mode. It is intended to be used when you’re watching content in a bright room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have successfully done a calibration (using Calman Home for LG) on my LG B9. After the SDR calibration, I maked sure "Apply to all inputs" was applied. Then I used the LG internal mediaplayer to play the "Black clipping"-video from AVS HD 709, and I did get the result I wanted (I saw bar 17-25 flashing).
Then I switched input to HDMI2, where I have a Nivida Shield (2017-model, none-HDR). I played the excat same video, but now none of the bars where flashing. All other videos where also way darker/more black than when I used the internal LG mediaplayer. After checking some settings in the LG, I discovered that "HDMI Deep Color" was enabled on the HDMI2 input. I assume this is because the Nvidia Shield does support "HDMI Deep Color", and had that setting turn on. However, when I turn "HDMI Deep Color" off in the LG, the videos displayed properly and bars 17-25 was flashing.

Does this mean that I should turn "HDMI Deep Color" off for all inputs? Also for the input where I have a HDR/Dolby Vision capable 4K Blu-Ray player?
Or should the video have been displayed correctly since both LG and the Nvidia Shield supports "HDMI Deep Color", and had that turned on?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Creo haber leído un par de veces que la única solución es desconectar la tele de la electricidad un par de minutos y volver a enchufarla.
Exactly, but it cannot be a solution, it is just a way to restore the TV to temporary correct functioning, sometimes one day, sometimes two days, sometimes a few moments.

We must try to understand how many have this defect introduced by the Firmware (30% - 50% - 80% - all?) And ask Lg for a solution, the Near Black of the 9 series was excellent before the Bug.

When I found the problem I asked the Lg Technical Assistance Center to find a solution, the technician had no answers or solutions so I changed the motherboard by paying and stopped the firmware at 04.70.05, I was pretty sure it was the Firmware but I was also in the doubt that it could be the panel, the technician considered it impossible to have a Firmware problem but the new Motherboard did not have the occasional problem on the Near Black as on the original Motherboard and firmware 05.00.10, after 30 days of correct operation I called the Technician and I loaded the new Firmware, after a while the problem on the Near Black reappeared, I disconnected the plug from the power supply and it returned to work correctly but the next day it was Bug again, at this point the Technician recognized the damage and replaced it again the motherboard in this case Free.

Now I have stopped the Firmware 04.70.05 and I do not update until the day in which Lg correct the Bug, in this case I can not use the Web OS but I use the App on Apple TV 4, it is not an acceptable solution, anyone who presents the Bug I think it is right to point it out to the Lg Technicians of your cities.

Reactions: amteza and Andy112

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have successfully done a calibration (using Calman Home for LG) on my LG B9. After the SDR calibration, I maked sure "Apply to all inputs" was applied. Then I used the LG internal mediaplayer to play the "Black clipping"-video from AVS HD 709, and I did get the result I wanted (I saw bar 17-25 flashing).
Then I switched input to HDMI2, where I have a Nivida Shield (2017-model, none-HDR). I played the excat same video, but now none of the bars where flashing. All other videos where also way darker/more black than when I used the internal LG mediaplayer. After checking some settings in the LG, I discovered that "HDMI Deep Color" was enabled on the HDMI2 input. I assume this is because the Nvidia Shield does support "HDMI Deep Color", and had that setting turn on. However, when I turn "HDMI Deep Color" off in the LG, the videos displayed properly and bars 17-25 was flashing.
To answer myself: After some checking, I only had this problem with the Nvidia Shield (and not other devices connected to HDMI2 via a receiver). The default output signal of the Shield was 4K, 60Hz, but the receiver had a overlay (which only works in 1080p and lower), so there was something wrong already. By forcing the Shield to display 1080p, 60Hz, YUV 444 8-bit Rec. 709, all was good when HDMI Deep Color was enabled.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Happy new year all!!!

Just about to start calibrating my C9 and am just wondering if there's any preference between using the inbuilt LG patterns or the ones contained with Calman for LG?

Thanks 😊.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
My advice is to use the C9's patterns. You then don't have to be concerned about how your computer's video output may or may not be affecting the patterns.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My advice is to use the C9's patterns. You then don't have to be concerned about how your computer's video output may or may not be affecting the patterns.
Thank you.

N00b here, I've followed Portrait Displays' YouTube guides on calibrating using autocal, but now I'm reading in this thread that there's a bug with the 1DLUT and to run the calibration manually. Can someone please assist in how I can manually calibrate my C9 with an i1 Display Pro Plus.

Edit: in SDR a brightness setting of 31 equals 100.9 nits on my panel, is this within the 'normal' range or does it suggest there's something else?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I started reading from the beginning of this thread to give myself a good understanding of how calibration works as I'm new to the game, but it took 1hr and I only got to page 13 - and this is only one of a few relevant threads!! Na uh.

Instead I came across this video by Ninjician showing how to do a manual calibration using the service menu, going to give this a shot tonight once it's dark - I'm interested to hear from someone more experienced than myself what their thoughts are with this process and if they have any recommendations for me please.

Thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to assist.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Edit: in SDR a brightness setting of 31 equals 100.9 nits on my panel, is this within the 'normal' range or does it suggest there's something else?
I'm assuming that you mean an OLED LIGHT setting of 31. Brightness is for setting black level, and should be left at 50 when using AutoCal (custom 1D LUT). I don't think there has been a "normal" range established. I'm currently using 29 to get just over 100 nits at 100% SDR, ISF Expert Dark mode fully calibrated with CalMan, using the LG/Dolby alternate white point. When uncalibrated I found 26 appropriate for ISF Expert Dark, and 23 for Technicolor Expert, so it does vary a bit.

Reactions: Andy112

·
Registered
413 Posts
I started reading from the beginning of this thread to give myself a good understanding of how calibration works as I'm new to the game, but it took 1hr and I only got to page 13 - and this is only one of a few relevant threads!! Na uh.

Instead I came across this video by Ninjician showing how to do a manual calibration using the service menu, going to give this a shot tonight once it's dark - I'm interested to hear from someone more experienced than myself what their thoughts are with this process and if they have any recommendations for me please.

Thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to assist.
That video will work if your factory greyscale is fairly aligned. I recommend doing a 2pt greyscale, then just measure "white" in Calman and do a 22 pt adjustment in the Service Menu.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anybody know of any Dolby Vision content in Netflix that has a full black scene so I can check whether I'm getting raised blacks? Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
After seeing this video:

I went to the same scene in Mind Hunter and I don't see any posterization (not sure if I'm writing it correctly) and the scene seemed ok.

I have the LG B9.

Since I have calibrated the tv with LG home autocal, are those problems gone without the need of a firmware update?

And after calibrating it seems the tv isn't as bright as it used to be in HDR and Dolby Vision.
Is this an effect of setting the correct luminance during calibration?
I remember reducing luminance from 600 to 540.

Could this be the case?

2241 - 2260 of 2264 Posts