AVS Forum banner

2281 - 2298 of 2298 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm beginning to think that my 65" C9 has 'pre-mature aging' mostly due to 5 of the big compensation cycles being run @ only 1600hrs SOT, partly due to my inexperience when first getting it...
Currently my max peak brightness in HDR is ~680 nits and DolbyVision is slightly higher... However when I first got into the calibration scene 2 months ago I remember measuring ~710 nits.

Throughout the two months I had to manually run two of the big compensation cycles as my panel developed strange horizontal lines running along the centre of the screen - fortunately the comp cycles fixed it, but now I'm concerned it's decreased the brightness of my display which I'm not happy about.

I'm hoping to hear of some other people's perspectives as to whether I should be concerned, whether this is an acceptable brightness reading and whether there is anything I can do to improve it.
P.S I've been sure NOT to decrease the red channel during the SM WB calibration which from what I've read can result in reduced peak brightness.

Thanks for your time.
In my own experience I've seen a little brightness variance up or down when I do a calibration but maybe up to 15nits or so. One thing to keep in mind is that your peak brightness will be impacted by how warm the screen is. It gets a little brighter after warming up and / or if the brightness window pattern is up longer. Is there a chance your set wasn't on as long with the lower measurement?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I'm beginning to think that my 65" C9 has 'pre-mature aging' mostly due to 5 of the big compensation cycles being run @ only 1600hrs SOT, partly due to my inexperience when first getting it...
Currently my max peak brightness in HDR is ~680 nits and DolbyVision is slightly higher... However when I first got into the calibration scene 2 months ago I remember measuring ~710 nits.

Throughout the two months I had to manually run two of the big compensation cycles as my panel developed strange horizontal lines running along the centre of the screen - fortunately the comp cycles fixed it, but now I'm concerned it's decreased the brightness of my display which I'm not happy about.

I'm hoping to hear of some other people's perspectives as to whether I should be concerned, whether this is an acceptable brightness reading and whether there is anything I can do to improve it.
P.S I've been sure NOT to decrease the red channel during the SM WB calibration which from what I've read can result in reduced peak brightness.

Thanks for your time.
I’ve ran like 20 of them on a LG GX and I’ve seen no reduction in peak brightness.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is there a chance your set wasn't on as long with the lower measurement?
Nah not that unfortunetely as I have it on displaying content in the relevent mode for at least an hour prior to taking measurements.

I’ve ran like 20 of them on a LG GX and I’ve seen no reduction in peak brightness.
I've read that the X series has a different panel compared with the C series, in which reacts differently to compensation cycles.. I could be wrong here though as I can't remember specifically the technical reasoning.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I tried many AWP. But after D Nice advice i ended at D65 with a 77 inch Display. If it's to red your colorimeter is measuring wrong. You'll need to profile it.
Is there a different recommended white point for cx77 over say 65" 55"?
I calibrate my 77CX with 0.305 0.322.
Is D nice recommending d65 for the 77 cx?

·
Registered
661 Posts
No, he recommends D65 for 77" . AWP for other sizes .309 .329

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
A 2020 77CX was referenced above... How about the 2019 77C9 though?

@D-Nice, do you recommend D65 for it as well? Any idea why 77" panels would be fine with D65 when other sizes benefit from an AWP?

·
Registered
661 Posts
All 77” models should use D65.
Thank you!! Very interesting.

Any idea what’s different about the 77” panels?

D65 seems to look great on my 77C9 and 77C8 fwiw.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Ive been calibrating my 77CX to 0.305 0.322, I would be very interested too in hearing the reasons for my 77" using D65.
Do 77" not suffer from metameric failure?
I have never seen a difference. Our Hollywood users are using the same AWP on 77” and 88” 8K models as they do on the 55, 65.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have never seen a difference. Our Hollywood users are using the same AWP on 77” and 88” 8K models as they do on the 55, 65.
Yeah don't get how a 65" is different from 77", pixel structure difference maybe but awp you would think the same awp.

So is 0.305 0.322 still the better option in your opinion?

When doing a manual calibration is there a way to get 2.5% and 7.5% in the mix?

Any chance of a link for the beta?
I did register for it as I'm not getting the results from calman 2020 a want.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Did you ever get a chance to perceptually match various size LG OLEDs between each other and with a Judd AWP calibrated BVM-X300?

Just to confirm out of curiosity and for education... was the Judd AWP for the X300 derived from perceptually matching with a Sony BVM-D32 (or possibly an A32 or F24 - somewhat irrelevant as long as it was a 1000 TVL Sony BVM CRT)?

Not sure if this would happen, but I'd enjoy following a conversation between you and @D-Nice comparing notes on AWP perceptual matching.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Did you ever get a chance to perceptually match various size LG OLEDs between each other and with a Judd AWP calibrated BVM-X300?

Just to confirm out of curiosity and for education... was the Judd AWP for the X300 derived from perceptually matching with a Sony BVM-D32 (or possibly an A32 or F24 - somewhat irrelevant as long as it was a 1000 TVL Sony BVM CRT)?

Not sure if this would happen, but I'd enjoy following a conversation between you and @D-Nice comparing notes on AWP perceptual matching.
The Judd .3067 .318 was derived by Sony years ago when their SDR RGB OLEDs were released using the Judd-Voss CMF on a BVM CRT.

All my perceptual matching experiments were done pre-Covid at post production facilities using the BVM-X300 calibrated to Judd.

D-nice perceptually matches to plasma.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The Judd .3067 .318 was derived by Sony years ago when their SDR RGB OLEDs were released using the Judd-Voss CMF on a BVM CRT.

All my perceptual matching experiments were done pre-Covid at post production facilities using the BVM-X300 calibrated to Judd.

D-nice perceptually matches to plasma.
Do you recommend .305/.322 then with SDR, HDR, and DoVi on LG OLEDs?

I hope Sony got the Judd-Voss CMF right all those years ago... it might be interesting one of these days to temporarily move one of my Sony BVM CRTs next to one of my LG OLEDs and perceptually match myself and see how close things end up.

Reactions: dergeeeht

·
Registered
136 Posts
Been doing SM WB calibration on my replacement panel and managed to set Warm to RGB values of 192-173-123 which looks normal to me. But I can't get medium WB to work unless I set it at 175-182-170. My panel has magenta tint which I guess messes up with the meter. Since I use Warm1 setting I'm curious if I miss something with red not being on full 192 value? My oled panel was at 192-182-178 for medium. I keep reading one value always has to be at 192.. I could maybe take a meter reading from a point outside of the magenta tint if it matters.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Been doing SM WB calibration on my replacement panel and managed to set Warm to RGB values of 192-173-123 which looks normal to me. But I can't get medium WB to work unless I set it at 175-182-170. My panel has magenta tint which I guess messes up with the meter. Since I use Warm1 setting I'm curious if I miss something with red not being on full 192 value? My oled panel was at 192-182-178 for medium. I keep reading one value always has to be at 192.. I could maybe take a meter reading from a point outside of the magenta tint if it matters.
Why are you using Warm 1 color temp in the regular menu if you are going to attempt to adjust the Medium WB setting in the SM? Warm 1 would be impacted by the Warm SM settings just like Warm 2. What are your original Warm SM settings?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Why are you using Warm 1 color temp in the regular menu if you are going to attempt to adjust the Medium WB setting in the SM? Warm 1 would be impacted by the Warm SM settings just like Warm 2. What are your original Warm SM settings?
I prefer to switch between medium and warm1 depending on the content and source. The original settings doesn't exist. LG replaced the panel but didn't recalibrate SM WB. Warm1 is a mix of medium and warm right? I'm just curious if I should still try to come as close as possible with red at 192 or if it doesn't matter. I keep reading that red has to be 192 for maximum dynamic range but what does it mean really?
Edit: I also got a good medium balance at 185-192-180. Really depends where I put the meter. I guess getting it 100% perfect with the tint is impossible.

2281 - 2298 of 2298 Posts